Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:36:07 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: EU settled status  (Read 1064 times)

selby

• VSC Member
EU settled status
« on June 21, 2021, 09:25:23 pm by selby »
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jun/21/130000-eu-citizens-on-uk-benefits-yet-to-apply-for-settled-status-leak-suggests
   Surprised some of the avid Guardian readers have not highlighted this article, Do they even
 exist? or are they illegally claiming what they are not entitled to?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Re: EU settled status
« Reply #1 on June 21, 2021, 10:06:42 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I'm going to take a big deep breath on this one, because it is VERY raw in my family.

You, Selby, haven't got the first f**king idea how this Government has f**ked all over the lives of honest, decent people on this topic.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on June 22, 2021, 09:16:50 am by Filo »
I'm going to take a big deep breath on this one, because it is VERY raw in my family.

You, Selby, haven't got the first f**king idea how this Government has f**ked all over the lives of honest, decent people on this topic.

He doesn’t care as long as Selby is ok

DRCraig

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on June 22, 2021, 11:57:47 am by DRCraig »

I know exactly what you are saying. Many victims of them. No doubt about it.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on June 22, 2021, 05:27:53 pm by Janso »

He doesn’t care as long as Selby is ok

And has some material to get on the wind up with.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on July 01, 2021, 09:57:21 am by IDM »
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jun/21/130000-eu-citizens-on-uk-benefits-yet-to-apply-for-settled-status-leak-suggests
   Surprised some of the avid Guardian readers have not highlighted this article, Do they even

Who is making claims for things they are not legally entitled to.?

Settled status provides the opposite, UK resident EU citizens can register and obtain rights which they ARE legally entitled to.

Let’s not forget it took the government THREE YEARS since the referendum to announce the settled status details and processes.  Thankfully for my other half we got this sorted within weeks but can you imagine the stress we had for those 3 years before, not knowing for certain if/how she could stay.?

Now multiply that for the millions who qualify legally..  never mind those who may fall through the net through no fault of their own..

But hey, we took back control didn’t we.?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on July 01, 2021, 11:01:44 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Part of the problem is that the HO appears to have no record of who it has given settled status to. So it puts the entire responsibility onto the individual to prove that they have settled status. In my family's case, my father-in-law moved to the UK in 1970 when he married my mother-in-law. He got settled status in the late 70s. He worked in the NHS all his life as well as founding a biotech start-up. When he died of cancer in his late 50s in chaotic circumstances, we were unable to find the paperwork relating to his settled status. Which meant that my half brother in law (his young son by his second wife) who was born and brought up in the UK until he was 8 years old when his father died and his mother moved to Italy, was unable to get the British passport that he was entitled to. And the HO did f**k all to help.

Absolute scum of the earth, they are. Playing to the worst ignorant xenophobia of the electorate, and f**king over the lives of decent, honest people.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on July 01, 2021, 11:14:42 am by IDM »
The other thing is, as I’m sure you will know BST, is that EU citizens living in the uk for many years as “resident” who think they may automatically qualify still need to apply for the post-brexit settled status.  As do people who are married to a UK citizen, they need to apply too. 

Proving your continued presence in the UK for 5 years plus, using no more than 10 (or was it 12) documents can be tricky if you haven’t kept bank statements etc or if your mortgage/rent is only in the name of your UK partner..

Before brexit EU citizens could live and work here etc without the need to save up any proof of residence for future use..

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on July 01, 2021, 11:46:40 am by turnbull for england »
Saw this today, wife's nana is in similar physical state but born and bred local . To think we'd have to try and go through this with her is heartbreaking https://twitter.com/alexisconran/status/1410303164520275969?s=19

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on July 01, 2021, 12:03:22 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I'm currently reading John Le Carre's final novel (in which the hero, or villain, depending on your point of view is a socially inadequate, political obsessive from Donny as it happens - can't think who he modelled him on...).

There is a true British patriot. Not in the sense of blindly worshipping the flag and never criticising. In the sense of wanting better for the country than we have. And in that book, the 90-odd year old author is absolutely burning with fury at the nasty, embittered, xenophobic country that we seem determined to be these days.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on July 01, 2021, 06:00:17 pm by belton rover »
I’m not sure Roland Barthes would agree with that, Billy.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on July 01, 2021, 09:33:42 pm by wilts rover »

How do you illegally claim something you are not entitiled too? Anyone?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012