Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:06:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Batley & Spen Byelection  (Read 8692 times)

tyke1962

• Forum Member
Batley & Spen Byelection
« on June 26, 2021, 12:50:36 pm by tyke1962 »
For some reason nobody has started a debate on this forthcoming byelection so I thought it would make for an interesting topic .

Plenty of soundbites coming out of Labour HQ insisting this isn't Hartlepool , thanks for the geography lesson Sir Keith .

Galloway seems to have attracted the muslim vote who make up 1/5th of the electorate on a anti Israeli ticket which seems particularly extraordinary given Batley isn't situated near the Gazza strip but that's George for you .

Labour's choice of candidate and how she was chosen to stand is perhaps an indication on how desperate they are for their chances at this byelection .

I understand the Tory candidate didn't have the good grace to turn up for a public debate with the other contenders the other night .

The Tories may arrogantly feel they already have this in the bag or they are keen to avoid Mr Galloway who is possibly one of the best debaters around in UK politics whether you agree with him or not .

Interesting to see how this plays out with such a collection of flawed and divisive characters up for representation .

« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 01:00:12 pm by tyke1962 »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Re: Batley & Spen Byelection
« Reply #1 on June 26, 2021, 02:57:20 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Labour's choice of candidate?

A local woman. Sister of an MP who was chased and shot dead in those very streets by a nationalist maniac.

And yesterday, the Labour candidate was chased through Batley by a Galloway supporter shouting anti-gay abuse at her. While Galloway stood and watched not 109 yards away.

The man is despicable. Taking Putin's coin to spread hate and division through the left. A f**king disgrace to the country and to politics.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on June 26, 2021, 03:34:21 pm by wilts rover »
The 'Galloway supporter' who chased Ms Leadbeater was a property developer from Birmingham who is reportedly a friend of far-right polemicist Katie Hopkins.

I can't imagine having far-right 'supporters' like that will help George's claim to be the supporter of the ordinary person in the street too much.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on June 26, 2021, 03:36:49 pm by wilts rover »
I have always thought the Tories would win this, big Brexit vote and lack of enthusiasm for Starmer's labour here - but now given the Hancock farce I am not so sure. The public are very good at teaching politicians and political parties they don't like a lesson.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on June 26, 2021, 03:37:13 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
And he was videoed up on a stand yesterday, screaming for people to vote for Galloway and reject Labour, while Galloway stood 2 yards away watching approvingly and not saying one word to contradict him.

Not sure you're getting this Wilts. Galloway's job is not to get elected. It's to stop Labour winning.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on June 26, 2021, 04:53:41 pm by tyke1962 »
Labour's choice of candidate?

A local woman. Sister of an MP who was chased and shot dead in those very streets by a nationalist maniac.

And yesterday, the Labour candidate was chased through Batley by a Galloway supporter shouting anti-gay abuse at her. While Galloway stood and watched not 109 yards away.

The man is despicable. Taking Putin's coin to spread hate and division through the left. A f**king disgrace to the country and to politics.

The murder of Jo Cox was a despicable act and I was as shocked and saddened as anyone .

My point is Kim Leadbetter is on the record as disengaged from politics following her sister's murder and wasn't even a member of the Labour party until recently

This is an election to decide who best represents the constituency and the murder of her sister isn't relevant , as harsh as that may come across .

Whether she's had her hand put behind her back to fight this election I obviously don't know but given Labour's present situation it's worthy of debate none the less without you adopting your usual anti right wing rhetoric and guilt tripping .

The best person for the job Billy , nowt more than that is my point .

If any of the candidates would like to step forward and explain to the electorate of Batley why a school teacher from the area is still in hiding for fear of his life I'd like to hear it .

Local candidates would be even more  welcome if they are playing the " I understand local issues card " .

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on June 26, 2021, 04:54:32 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
So who would you vote for in that election Tyke?

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on June 26, 2021, 06:28:24 pm by tyke1962 »
So who would you vote for in that election Tyke?

As a local I don't think I'd be voting for anyone on the basis nobody seems to have the minerals to speak out on the teacher still in hiding .

If you put a gun to my head then I'd vote for the Yorkshire Party .

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on June 26, 2021, 10:47:18 pm by GazLaz »
I live in Batley. It’s absolutely impossible to vote for anyone other than Labour here. The Tories are likely to take the seat though due to Galloway splitting the labour vote. He’s a vile man, causing racial division for personal gain.

I really don’t understand how the Muslim population can think handing the Tories an extra seat can be a positive thing for their campaign for Palestine.

I think a lot of their anger stems from not getting a Muslim representative as the labour candidate. Everything I’ve seen from Kim indicates she has the best candidate by a million miles, genuinely cares about the region and has bundles of energy to throw at the cause.

wesisback

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on June 26, 2021, 10:57:58 pm by wesisback »
The focus on Galloway is a real shame in that it will give an easy point of blame when Labour lose this seat.
Just 18% of people polled in the constituency think Starmer would make a better Prime Minister than Boris.
I genuinely hope Galloway doesn't get enough votes that it will have any impact on the result as its another chance for the party to lay the blame somewhere else instead of accepting what's coming their way in the next General Election.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on June 27, 2021, 09:26:25 am by tyke1962 »
Well it's alright saying this and that about Galloway and his motives for standing at this byelection but it doesn't alter the fact that Labour aren't cutting through .

If they were it wouldn't make a jot of difference who stood against them next week .

I understand the muslim Labour support was always historically pretty strong in the area so if Galloway is taking that away then surely Labour haven't stepped up to the mark in Batley .

I despair at times with the blame shifting rhetoric , if you can't get elected in an extremely winnable seat then perhaps it's time to look in the mirror .

The Muslim vote only counts for 20% of the electorate when all is said and done .

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on June 27, 2021, 09:44:07 am by BillyStubbsTears »
This is the sort of person that Galloway is.
https://mobile.twitter.com/georgeeaton/status/1408783112809684992

Someone described his approach as Seagull Politics. Fly in. Make unpleasant noises. Shit everywhere then fly off.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on June 27, 2021, 09:52:38 am by tyke1962 »
This is the sort of person that Galloway is.
https://mobile.twitter.com/georgeeaton/status/1408783112809684992

Someone described his approach as Seagull Politics. Fly in. Make unpleasant noises. Shit everywhere then fly off.

Your looking at this the wrong way Billy , if Galloway is taking Labour votes then what does that tell us about the present day Labour Party ? .

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on June 27, 2021, 10:00:48 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Tyke.
Look at how he is doing it. And tell me how you are supposed to deal with that.

As I've said, Galloway has ONE aim. To take enough votes from Labour to make sure they lose the seat.

He is targeting two groups. Left singers who want Starmer out. Anti-Semitic, anti-LGBT radicals in the Muslim community.

You tell me how Labour should address that.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on June 27, 2021, 10:22:19 am by tyke1962 »
Tyke.
Look at how he is doing it. And tell me how you are supposed to deal with that.

As I've said, Galloway has ONE aim. To take enough votes from Labour to make sure they lose the seat.

He is targeting two groups. Left singers who want Starmer out. Anti-Semitic, anti-LGBT radicals in the Muslim community.

You tell me how Labour should address that.

First of all Billy , Galloway is perfectly entitled to stand in a byelection on any ticket he chooses in a democracy as were the BNP or the old National Front for example .

I go back to cutting through again which rises above the other candidates .

A vision and policies which bring people together , at present Starmer can't bring his own party together so who on earth is going to trust him to bring the country together ? .

A vision and policies Billy that take the electorate with you .

He looks incapable of becoming that man , the whole party is a shambles from top to bottom and in opposition .

Instinctively people will go with those who hold power under such circumstances if the opposition aren't up to it .

That's why Blair won three elections as much as anything because the Tories were a shambles in opposition .

It's up to Labour to come up with the solutions and become electable and cut through .

Criticising the government only goes so far , never mind about Galloway what are you going to do ? .

People take one look at Starmer and think no thanks I'll stick with the devil in office .

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on June 27, 2021, 11:14:19 am by Glyn_Wigley »
I see Galloway has learnt from the 1964 Smethwick election.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on June 27, 2021, 11:23:40 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Worth noting those who would perhaps vote labour have contrasting views on many things isn't it? It's all well and good criticising the labour party for not meeting all those views but frankly in some cases they aren't compatible.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on June 27, 2021, 12:45:29 pm by tyke1962 »
Worth noting those who would perhaps vote labour have contrasting views on many things isn't it? It's all well and good criticising the labour party for not meeting all those views but frankly in some cases they aren't compatible.

Nobody expects the Labour Party to be a one size fits all bfyp , well I certainly don't despite certain accusations levelled against me on this board .

I spent the best part of 20 years in the trade union movement compromising so I don't need any lessons on that .

My personal view is and one shared by many on what is now known as the legacy left is that it's almost impossible to achieve a compromise with the centre of the Labour Movement and the metropolitan , graduate Labour voter .

These fractures started in the mid 90's when quite rightly by the way Blair went after the middle class vote that enabled him to crush the Tories so emphatically in 1997 .

From that point on the seeds were sown that's put the party in the position it finds itself today .

All the New Labour eggs went in to one basket with people like Mandelson saying well " the northern working class have no where else to go " so basically feck em .

I went to a couple of Labour Party conferences through my trade union in the 90's and they looked down on us like we were a piece of shyte on their expensive shoes whilst they courted bankers and big business people .

I saw this with my own eyes , old NUM lads wanting a word on the pensions , vibration white finger or all the other things connected with mining , they wouldn't give you 20 seconds of their time never mind speak at one of the many meetings that week that form part of a conference .

Then of course clause 4 was sent packing , this no longer becomes a perception this thing becomes reality .

By their own admission they didn't do enough in the post industrial heartlands , that's on the record by the way .

13 years they had in power , just absorb that fact .

I'm supposed to go along with shyte and get guilt tripped in to the notion that any Labour government is better than the Tories , that's not necessarily true because if it was the Tories wouldn't have the gains they have today in the former industrial heartlands .

Once Mandelson came back from the dead under Sir Keith that was the final straw , I even lived with the fact they couldn't even stay true to their own election manifesto on brexit and that they plotted almost everyday to bring the then leader of their party down despite the bloke winning two leadership contests emphatically whether you agreed with him or not and in opposition .

Starmer then wins the leadership on a promise to work on the work Corbyn started and be the electable and acceptable face and then picks fights with the trade unions and purges the left .

With my background and seen this all before who on earth could carry on supporting this shyte show .

Who in their right mind puts up a pro EU candidate in Hartlepool when the town voted over 70% to leave the European Union ? .

You'll rip the pyss out of me no longer and the chips fall where they fall .

There's only so much one can stomach and that's that , I've given it a good go for more years than I should have .

Feck em .

« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 12:52:00 pm by tyke1962 »

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on June 27, 2021, 07:43:16 pm by GazLaz »
https://twitter.com/paulmasonnews/status/1409126784017342465?s=21

Putting my thoughts across more articulately.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on June 27, 2021, 09:30:19 pm by drfchound »
The focus on Galloway is a real shame in that it will give an easy point of blame when Labour lose this seat.
Just 18% of people polled in the constituency think Starmer would make a better Prime Minister than Boris.
I genuinely hope Galloway doesn't get enough votes that it will have any impact on the result as its another chance for the party to lay the blame somewhere else instead of accepting what's coming their way in the next General Election.

Labour supporters already have their excuses in place Wes if they don’t win this by election.
That poll you mention suggests that Galloway isn’t the only problem.

wesisback

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on June 27, 2021, 10:53:37 pm by wesisback »
None of which will be:

We focused too much on trying to smear George Galloway and did very little to actually promote what we have done during our time in charge of this constituency.

We've still not addressed any of the issues that emanated from Hartlepool in terms of people knowing what the Labour Party stands for anymore.

The continuity candidate still hasn't done a single thing since taking leadership to suggest he still wants any actual left wing voters to give them a cross at the ballot box (and there's nearly always another choice on the paper).

Sadly I can't see them taking heed and booting Starmer until the next general election, Doncaster will almost certainly be under 3 Tory MPs.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on June 27, 2021, 11:42:54 pm by SydneyRover »

Labour supporters already have their excuses in place Wes if they don’t win this by election.

Is this the real hound finally showing his colours, fell of the fence hound?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on June 27, 2021, 11:45:06 pm by SydneyRover »
None of which will be:

We focused too much on trying to smear George Galloway and did very little to actually promote what we have done during our time in charge of this constituency.

We've still not addressed any of the issues that emanated from Hartlepool in terms of people knowing what the Labour Party stands for anymore.

The continuity candidate still hasn't done a single thing since taking leadership to suggest he still wants any actual left wing voters to give them a cross at the ballot box (and there's nearly always another choice on the paper).

Sadly I can't see them taking heed and booting Starmer until the next general election, Doncaster will almost certainly be under 3 Tory MPs.

Not sure it can be called 'smear' when it appears to be accurate?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on June 27, 2021, 11:53:46 pm by SydneyRover »
https://twitter.com/paulmasonnews/status/1409126784017342465?s=21

Putting my thoughts across more articulately.

thanks Gaz, he's a good speaker, first time I've heard him.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on June 28, 2021, 12:00:27 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Mason is an interesting case. He's a Marxist by belief, but he has the common sense to know that compromises are necessary on the Left. And that a Labour party in power, even if it is not your ideal, is infinitely better than the party that you want it to be in opposition. He supported Corbym with criticisms. He supports Starmer, with criticisms. What he doesn't ever do is wish the Tories beat Labour in order to win an argument. The Labour party needs a lot more like him.

wesisback

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on June 28, 2021, 07:33:15 am by wesisback »
None of which will be:

In the last 24 hours some of the worst photoshopped images of Galloway holding guns have been shared on Twitter, I've yet to decide whether its been done maliciously or for humour, if its the latter it really isn't funny in the slightest. Its also the kind of behaviour that plays straight into his hands.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on June 28, 2021, 08:42:19 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
None of which will be:

In the last 24 hours some of the worst photoshopped images of Galloway holding guns have been shared on Twitter, I've yet to decide whether its been done maliciously or for humour, if its the latter it really isn't funny in the slightest. Its also the kind of behaviour that plays straight into his hands.

Very true, often attacking someone can make them stronger if many perceive those being attacked are being attacked unfairly.  He's very clever at twisting those things around as are many on the extremes, Farage another.  Even a big part of Corbyn was that attacking him just strengthened the resolve of those who supported him.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on June 28, 2021, 08:43:28 am by drfchound »

Sorry Sydney, I don’t understand the context of your post.
Also, did you mean “fallen off the fence” when you wrote “fell of fence”.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on June 28, 2021, 09:20:10 am by SydneyRover »

Sorry Sydney, I don’t understand the context of your post.
Also, did you mean “fallen off the fence” when you wrote “fell of fence”.

nope, meant what is writ hound and it gives pedants a reason for being aye?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on June 28, 2021, 09:32:02 am by SydneyRover »
QI: ''Former Conservative Mayor backs Labour candidate in by-election
Kim Leadbeater’s campaign in the Batley and Spen by-election has won the support of former Liberal Democrat and Conservative councillors in the constituency''

''Andrew Palfreman, former Conservative Mayor of Kirklees, who lives in Birkenshaw, said: “There is more to Batley and Spen than the centre of Batley and what voters have consistently wanted is an MP who might be not be favourite with the Whips but who lives, breathes and stands up for the local community.

“In my opinion there is only one of those on offer - but naming her would not please the party I represented and served for all those years.”

She appears to be popular with sections of the community

https://www.batleynews.co.uk/news/politics/former-conservative-mayor-backs-labour-candidate-in-by-election-3283996

TinyPortal © 2005-2012