Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 03:18:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Trialists  (Read 34753 times)

ravenrover

• VSC Member
Trialists
« on July 02, 2021, 03:37:24 pm by ravenrover »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

NickDRFC

• Forum Member

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
Re: Trialists
« Reply #2 on July 05, 2021, 08:30:11 am by Bailey Vickerage »
Liam hoden just revealed who the trialists were on Twitter and has said that some will stay on with the squad and will be involved against Rosso, they will also most likely be joined by a new set of trialists aswell.

https://t.co/p4RJoGAupo

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on July 05, 2021, 09:21:27 am by Alan Southstand »
In brief:

Trialists

EMYR HUWS

27-year-old Wales international midfielder who is a free agent after leaving Ipswich Town.

At his best, Huws is an exciting box-to-box midfielder with powerful drives through the middle of the park with a brilliant engine. But injuries have blighted an incredibly promising career, leaving him at a crossroads this summer.

OWEN BAILEY

Another player who has suffered injury setbacks in recent years, Bailey left Newcastle United at the end of last season.

The centre back, who can also play in midfield, was a promising member of the Magpies’ U23s set up - and skippered the side - which saw him included in the senior squad for a pre-season tour in China.

The 22-year-old left St James’ Park without making a senior competitive appearance, having been one of the leading figures to emerge from the club’s academy in recent years.

CHARLIE COLKETT

The 24-year-old midfielder is without a club after leaving Swedish side Östersunds.
An Academy product at Chelsea, Colkett won the FA Youth Cup and UEFA Youth League while at Stamford Bridge.

Colkett - who represented England to U20 level - had loan spells with Bristol Rovers, Vitesse, Shrewsbury Town and Swindon Town. His time at the County Ground was not during the managerial tenure of Richie Wellens

He failed to make a senior appearance for Chelsea before moving to Sweden where he made 52 appearances across two campaigns for Östersunds.

AIDAN BARLOW

The 21-year-old midfielder has been without a club since leaving Manchester United last summer.

Barlow joined Manchester United at the age of six and was a regular for the club’s U18s and U23s in recent years.
He had a loan spell in Norway with Tromsø in the latter part of 2019.

A versatile player, Barlow is more attack minded as a midfielder and can operate anywhere across the middle of the park.

Tiddysdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on July 05, 2021, 09:23:40 am by Tiddysdad »
Yet another breath of fresh air. Knowing who the trialists are. But as stopped the annual guess who competition Ha

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on July 05, 2021, 09:38:44 am by Metalmicky »
Saw an article in the East Anglian Daily Times on Emyr Huws regarding his time at Ipswich.... so thought I would share.  It appears he has had injury issues, but has been injury clear over the last two years.  He's played at a higher level and may just need a new environment to ignite him....?

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town/emyr-huws-exit-interview-ipswich-7843706

anton123

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on July 05, 2021, 10:11:35 am by anton123 »
There is a YouTube vid from 4 weeks ago suggesting that ac Milan are after Charlie ??

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on July 05, 2021, 10:28:19 am by Metalmicky »
There is a YouTube vid from 4 weeks ago suggesting that ac Milan are after Charlie ??

He's been training with Coventry...

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/transfer-news/coventry-city-transfers-charlie-colkett-20548424

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on July 05, 2021, 11:39:49 am by graingrover »
I asked my Magpie mate, who is an experienced amateur coach in Newcastle about Owen Bailey... he responded "I know him well and I'm friends with his Dad Steve. He's a good player and had a bad injury at the wrong time in his career. I hope he does well and gets offered a contract.

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on July 05, 2021, 12:03:46 pm by VivaRovers »
Emyr Huws is a great talent, if he can hold off injuries. There was a lot of disappointment from Wales fans when he was left out of the squad for Euro 2016 for the inclusion of the more experienced David Vaughan

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on July 05, 2021, 12:07:11 pm by Dutch Uncle »
IMHO that is an impressive set of triallists. I wonder if that was at least part of what has prompted the someone must leave to bring someone in comments?

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on July 05, 2021, 12:28:10 pm by roversdude »

He's been training with Coventry...

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/transfer-news/coventry-city-transfers-charlie-colkett-20548424

Says that they are not offering him anything and it was a favour to get him fit, article was from May btw

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on July 05, 2021, 03:31:15 pm by Alan Southstand »
Having walked by Cantley Park this morning, I can confirm that, out of all the triallists, Huws is quite a tall lad and is the tallest of all 5 mentioned.

Apparently, although he’s had his fair share of injuries, the lad has been injury free for the past 2 seasons. Certainly, one to keep an eye on.

Now is common knowledge, I can also confirm Matt Smith was training with the lads this morning (easily spotted due to his locks).

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on July 07, 2021, 08:25:21 am by steve@dcfd »
Another Trialist started with the team on Monday ball playing defender 22 ex West Ham. Tunji Akinola. The original four are going to be told today if they are required or not. Two more are joining before the game on Saturday.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 08:32:28 am by steve@dcfd »

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on July 07, 2021, 08:38:53 am by Alan Southstand »
It will be interesting to see if the new lads are attackers, as we are light up top.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on July 07, 2021, 08:43:18 am by IDM »
I got the impression that our attack would be bolstered by the loan market, and it has been said that those players wouldn’t arrive for a while as they have a bit of pre season at their parent clubs first.

Do we run trials for loanees.?

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on July 07, 2021, 08:49:41 am by Metalmicky »
Another Trialist started with the team on Monday ball playing defender 22 ex West Ham. Tunji Akinola. The original four are going to be told today if they are required or not. Two more are joining before the game on Saturday.

Seems like this new trialist was a bit marmite at Leyton Orient last season - apparently is a good footballer, but doesn't like a tackle... one of the main requirements in a defender.  He did play at centre back and right back last term for them.  Perhaps a player to develop.

Just had a read on this thread that starts with criticism, but many thought he was good and would have signed him...

https://lofcforum.boards.net/thread/9375/akinola-vastly-overrated
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 09:03:16 am by Metalmicky »

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on July 07, 2021, 09:43:13 am by the vicar »
I got the impression that our attack would be bolstered by the loan market, and it has been said that those players wouldn’t arrive for a while as they have a bit of pre season at their parent clubs first.

no I’m sure we don’t, as we will get all the dossier on then and the scouts so they will know all they need to know

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on July 07, 2021, 10:05:54 am by steve@dcfd »

No I don’t think that happens. But look at the forward players we have now. Bogle Okenabirhie and Williams we also have an un fit Taylor so without forward Trialists whose going to play in preseason friendlies. We normally start 45 mins per eleven so we will need some forward Trialist players for the first two friendlies at least.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on July 07, 2021, 11:02:45 am by DonnyOsmond »

Seems like this new trialist was a bit marmite at Leyton Orient last season - apparently is a good footballer, but doesn't like a tackle... one of the main requirements in a defender.  He did play at centre back and right back last term for them.  Perhaps a player to develop.

Just had a read on this thread that starts with criticism, but many thought he was good and would have signed him...

I don't know anything about Akinola, but there are different types of center backs, some of them don't make loads of tackles. You can have the type of defender that is aggressive and will throw himself in to challenges (occasionally recklessly) and blocks passes from getting through, ala Cameron John, but then on the otherside you can have played that like to sit, make interceptions, shot blocks, clearances and make the few calculated challenges here and there, that is more Joe Wright. This may be Akinola too. You can have players that are able to do both, and you can ask a player who is a stopper to play the cover role but he may not do this well due to lack of positional awareness, etc. The Leyton Orient fans may be accustomed to someone more aggressive before Akinola took that role, so if he's making less challenges it'll be noticeable, especially if he's paired with someone else who's more of a stopper.

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on July 07, 2021, 11:58:23 am by RugbyRover »

I don't know anything about Akinola, but there are different types of center backs, some of them don't make loads of tackles. You can have the type of defender that is aggressive and will throw himself in to challenges (occasionally recklessly) and blocks passes from getting through, ala Cameron John, but then on the otherside you can have played that like to sit, make interceptions, shot blocks, clearances and make the few calculated challenges here and there, that is more Joe Wright. This may be Akinola too. You can have players that are able to do both, and you can ask a player who is a stopper to play the cover role but he may not do this well due to lack of positional awareness, etc. The Leyton Orient fans may be accustomed to someone more aggressive before Akinola took that role, so if he's making less challenges it'll be noticeable, especially if he's paired with someone else who's more of a stopper.

I think it was Bobby Moore who said if he had to make a tackle he'd already made a mistake....or words to that effect

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on July 07, 2021, 12:05:52 pm by DonnyOsmond »

I think it was Bobby Moore who said if he had to make a tackle he'd already made a mistake....or words to that effect

Maldini that quote.

“If I have to make a tackle then I have already made a mistake.”

jm291

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on July 07, 2021, 01:19:32 pm by jm291 »
Odd we have another Centre Back on trial. With 4 on the books already you would think we would be looking at the trialists being more attack minded.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on July 07, 2021, 01:30:12 pm by Alan Southstand »
Not odd if we are going to be losing one in the not too distant future!

And, no, I don’t know anything. 2 players are going to be told (possibly today) that they are not required and 1 may be a CB or defender.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on July 15, 2021, 01:29:20 pm by ravenrover »
Flanagan signed for HB Koge

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on July 15, 2021, 01:30:31 pm by DonnyOsmond »

Is that the one in Norway or Denmark? :D

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on July 15, 2021, 01:47:15 pm by MachoMadness »
Wellens said in an interview somewhere he'd like another CB. Which seems odd having just let Butler go.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on July 15, 2021, 01:47:50 pm by Jonathan »

Good. We didn’t want or need him.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on July 15, 2021, 02:51:47 pm by MachoMadness »
DFP article today saying one of the trialists has done enough to earn a contract offer. Also that we're close on a forward loan. Seems talk of the DM target is thin on the ground, though.

Danmckay456

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on July 15, 2021, 03:07:57 pm by Danmckay456 »
Surely it’s Barlow

TinyPortal © 2005-2012