Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 05:19:58 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Trialists  (Read 34706 times)

the vicar

• Forum Member
Re: Trialists
« Reply #210 on July 26, 2021, 12:41:53 pm by the vicar »
We have already agreed a loan goalkeeper with a premier league club on a young lad

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #211 on July 26, 2021, 04:19:09 pm by sha66y »
I'm a bit surprised that no one has made a bid for Tom Anderson tbh.

RW was talking him up as the best center back in the League. He's probably the last saleable asset in our squad who we could get a fee for. Wigan are in the market for a defender.

Should we cash in on Tom and sign more of these Trialists?

In answer to your question… I rate Cameron John higher than Tom Anderson…( just my opinion)
.CJ has speed, good physical presence, and he can tackle,…Tom undoubtedly has many attributes too, but last season showed him to be a little slow and not that competent with the ball at his feet…

This isn’t a Tom bashing, I see him as a very saleable asset that is replaceable, and I see CJ as a defender who can do a bit more going forward….

But if no one comes calling we get to keep him a bit longer

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #212 on July 26, 2021, 04:56:11 pm by Campsall rover »

RW was talking him up as the best center back in the League. He's probably the last saleable asset in our squad who we could get a fee for. Wigan are in the market for a defender.

In a word NO imo. Who do we get to replace Anderson. Yes CJ could start and I too rate him highly as a centre back based on 2019/20 season. But we need TA for his experience and we need cover in that position
So to let him leave would not in any way be of benefit to us imo.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #213 on July 26, 2021, 08:50:24 pm by Alan Southstand »
And just who do you think we can get in to replace someone who RW claims is the best cb in L1?

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #214 on July 26, 2021, 08:58:32 pm by RugbyRover »
And just who do you think we can get in to replace someone who RW claims is the best cb in L1?

He's a 3rd Division centre back, it shouldn't be too hard  :lol:

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #215 on July 26, 2021, 09:27:53 pm by ravenrover »
I think that needs correcting, he is playing in a 3rd Div  team but is very capable of playing at a higher level

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #216 on July 26, 2021, 09:58:13 pm by danumdon »
I think that needs correcting, he is playing in a 3rd Div  team but is very capable of playing at a higher level

I agree, Tom is well capable of making the step up, i think last season tailed off for him and he never looked at his best after the smack in the chops from the loanee goalie.

Id like to think that this season the whole attitude at the club has been turned around and everyone will be the better for it come the first league game.

We needed a good shakeup in defence and the centre half positition now looks like it has some direct challange, another one thrown into the midst with CJ re-energised should see us start well.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #217 on July 26, 2021, 10:48:46 pm by the vicar »

In answer to your question… I rate Cameron John higher than Tom Anderson…( just my opinion)
.CJ has speed, good physical presence, and he can tackle,…Tom undoubtedly has many attributes too, but last season showed him to be a little slow and not that competent with the ball at his feet…

This isn’t a Tom bashing, I see him as a very saleable asset that is replaceable, and I see CJ as a defender who can do a bit more going forward….

But if no one comes calling we get to keep him a bit longer
so if Tomis to slow and no good with the ball at his feet, then why should anyone come calling.  In actual fact he is one of the best centre halves in this division if not the best

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #218 on July 27, 2021, 12:18:13 am by Bailey Vickerage »
Getting rid of big Tom would be a big mistake. He’s not only our captain and the commander at the back but he’s as RW said the best CB in the league and we would not be able to replace him, especially with the money that we would get (look at how much we got for Whiteman and we haven’t replaced him.

Yes Toms pace can let him down a bit but his reading of the game is quality and having him next to either Williams or John their pace will make up for that and will complement each other well.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #219 on July 27, 2021, 07:16:01 am by sha66y »
Maybe Richie is colouring his language regarding Tom because someone’s already sniffing?

It’s impossible to say how he compares to any of the Centre Backs in this league or indeed if he’s better than any of them at all,

however I hope he justifies this title of best CB bestowed upon him, it will make us stronger for it….

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #220 on July 27, 2021, 07:28:32 am by mushRTID »
I’m convinced we will be trying to do a deal for Harrison too. He looked excellent, Wellens has spoken well of him and he played the full 90 on Friday.

I also think we will need him with Fey and Taylor injured.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #221 on July 27, 2021, 08:56:18 am by Alan Southstand »
Back to square 1 with the keeper, according to LH!

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #222 on July 27, 2021, 09:00:09 am by GazLaz »
Back to square 1 with the keeper, according to LH!

May be a blessing if it was Kovar as rumoured. He’s useless.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #223 on July 27, 2021, 09:05:32 am by Alan Southstand »
May have been this guy:

Birmingham City have made an eighth summer signing by taking Montenegro keeper Matija Sarkic on loan from Premier League neighbours Wolves.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #224 on July 27, 2021, 09:23:59 am by sedwardsdrfc »
Could we take a risk with the keeper and use the money to get one of the outfield trialists in (Reed/Harrison)?

I know it’s not ideal having no one to push Jones but for injuries we can get emergency loans. Will depend on how much Jones is trusted I guess

jamesrover17

• Forum Member
« Reply #225 on July 27, 2021, 10:04:14 am by jamesrover17 »
Could we take a risk with the keeper and use the money to get one of the outfield trialists in (Reed/Harrison)?

I know it’s not ideal having no one to push Jones but for injuries we can get emergency loans. Will depend on how much Jones is trusted I guess

Agreed 100%

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #226 on July 27, 2021, 10:20:02 am by Donnybax »

no

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #227 on July 27, 2021, 10:26:03 am by GazLaz »

This is professional football not football manager on the PlayStation. You don’t take stupid risks.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #228 on July 27, 2021, 10:29:56 am by RoversAlias »
It's already a risk opting for the loan keeper route, said it from the start. We needed stability and a solid pair of goalkeepers and we haven't even gotten out of pre-season without massive uncertainty at the position.

I hope Jones kicks on this season but if he doesn't, it's going to be a big, big problem area for us.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #229 on July 27, 2021, 10:31:06 am by the vicar »
If Bottomley does not get the chance then we will not know how good he is

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #230 on July 27, 2021, 10:33:30 am by the vicar »
I like Jones but he does make a few howlers at time

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #231 on July 27, 2021, 10:40:54 am by sha66y »

Is it really a risk?
We have Jones and a younger lad I believe,

if this is truly a season of “ let’s do our best” then in my opinion we can afford to be a bit cavalier, (I know everyone wants the “ ready-made”  player) …but it’s a fine balancing act!

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #232 on July 27, 2021, 11:18:05 am by steve@dcfd »
So the loan keeper we could afford and the right ratchet payment falls through. Let’s see what we can come up with now that won’t cost us a lot of money. Jones will be given a go is he good enough??? The way I see it our attack will have score more because there won’t be many clean sheets. Our level of keeper as been declining for years we were lucky with Dieng was on loan.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 11:26:50 am by steve@dcfd »

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #233 on July 27, 2021, 11:22:16 am by steve@dcfd »
If Bottomley does not get the chance then we will not know how good he is
He’s 18 tell how many back up keepers are 18 and had no men’s football experience. We need better experience I wouldn’t want a young keeper from the Premier league with no league experience either.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #234 on July 27, 2021, 11:37:37 am by the vicar »
We don’t really need to rush as if Jones is injured we can always bring in an emergency loan keeper if needed

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #235 on July 27, 2021, 11:44:43 am by steve@dcfd »

Shouldn’t be taking any risks. We had to sign a right back, left back, midfield player, centre half, left midfield and we need another midfield player and right side midfield. We also in the same priority need a GK. Last year supporters complained about too many loans so you have to get permanent players. Money should be available to make that happen to start getting our identity back. At the moment we have 14 permanent players over the age of 21 that includes Williams and the three that are injured or not available. We have 2 loans and 6 players under 21 non of them are good enough for league one even the ones that inept Butler gave a chance to last year. We are in a building stage it’s said let’s build with the right level of players.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 12:22:09 pm by steve@dcfd »

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #236 on July 27, 2021, 12:17:20 pm by Jonathan »
It's already a risk opting for the loan keeper route, said it from the start. We needed stability and a solid pair of goalkeepers and we haven't even gotten out of pre-season without massive uncertainty at the position.

I hope Jones kicks on this season but if he doesn't, it's going to be a big, big problem area for us.

This is the issue that arises when you use loans year after year to fill vital roles in the team, not just to provide cover or add to the squad.

I’d hoped, with the mooted increase in budget, that we may be set to rebalance the squad this summer. But it appears that the early talk hasn’t really materialised. The continued uncertainty, coupled with the HMRC debt, means this is understandable.

What we’ve got is a start. And hopefully it’s enough to keep us competitive over the season.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #237 on July 27, 2021, 12:42:19 pm by DRNaith »

Shouldn’t be taking any risks. We had to sign a right back, left back, midfield player, centre half, left midfield and we need another midfield player and right side midfield. We also in the same priority need a GK. Last year supporters complained about too many loans so you have to get permanent players. Money should be available to make that happen to start getting our identity back. At the moment we have 14 permanent players over the age of 21 that includes Williams and the three that are injured or not available. We have 2 loans and 6 players under 21 non of them are good enough for league one even the ones that inept Butler gave a chance to last year. We are in a building stage it’s said let’s build with the right level of players.

"Last year supporters complained about too many loans so you have to get permanent players." Seriously? You honestly believe that the club are responding to complaints more than responding to keeping the club going in the wake of a global pandemic?

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #238 on July 27, 2021, 02:20:23 pm by steve@dcfd »

"Last year supporters complained about too many loans so you have to get permanent players." Seriously? You honestly believe that the club are responding to complaints more than responding to keeping the club going in the wake of a global pandemic?
We have no more permanent players over 21  than we had last year,  2 more permanent players will not put the club out of business.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #239 on July 27, 2021, 02:50:56 pm by sha66y »

We have no more permanent players over 21  than we had last year,  2 more permanent players will not put the club out of business.

Once again you are getting hung up on silly statistics and quotas, …you are wanting quite a lot from the club, yet not taking a step back and looking at our current situation.

Jones is a decent keeper but seems to have the drive to want to be better, so in my opinion should be given a chance to establish his credentials.. however the defenders need to do their part in affording him cover

Has anyone asked Richie what size squad he would like to manage?
He may like someone earlier mentioned like to run with a smaller squad of players that he feels will get us from A to B….

I get the feeling that you have already lined up your “ BLAME CARDS”  and are just waiting to slam them down…..( you are not alone)…… but thankfully most of us can see what a struggle the new season will bring and how our income streams have been affected by the pandemic….

TinyPortal © 2005-2012