Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:18:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Trialists  (Read 34894 times)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Re: Trialists
« Reply #270 on July 28, 2021, 08:32:34 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
You’re right, of course, the new ones are probably on less wages!

Players like Close and Hiwula will not be on less than the players they are replacing. I would expect Rowe to be on the same or more than James, ditto Knoyle with Halliday, Close certainly will earn more than Madger Gomes did and Hiwula will be on more than Jason Lokilo was.

You cannot compare by numbers, the budget has been spent on more established players than those who have gone in some respects and will command good wages and good signing-on fees.

Loans will be similar outlay to last season's as well when all is said and done.

Liam Hoden has backed this up in reply to someone Twitter asking about budget:

"Trust me, the wages the new contracted players are on outweigh those of the ones that have left."

Wellens has used his budget to sign players he feels are a higher ability, and we've had to pay to get them. He's now doing the balancing act to try and ensure the right level of squad depth. It was clear that the majority of our permanent signings this summer were going to be on equal or better wages to those they were replacing and it seems that is indeed the case.

Exactly. Richie knows what he's doing. We needed a new core to provide some stability. Also signing good players on longer contracts helps attract other good players. Once again, we should be patient enough and accept that it might take a couple or more transfer windows to strengthen that core to the level he wants.

While other clubs may be taking bigger gambles, we go about things in more modest fashion.

I've been surprised just how many triallists are trying to earn contracts from Championship clubs down through the leagues. This is just how the market has evolved I guess and as a result some fans need to adjust their budget bashing radar.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #271 on July 28, 2021, 08:48:28 am by Chris Black come back »
Hoden also saying Barlow likely to be playing tonight against Sheff Utd.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #272 on July 28, 2021, 08:48:59 am by steve@dcfd »
Barlow to have medical and complete his contract today then play against Sheffield United.

DBR it’s not about bashing the budget as you put it. If we have paid more for the players we require to improve then we have to slightly adjust our sites. Richie as been more open with what he’s had to do to acquire the players. Last year we had to rely on second hand information this year supporters have had an insight into what the club have had to do with signing of players. When was the last time we signed 5/6 permanent players hopefully 7 in one transfer window. But that’s been forced on the club with players leaving.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 08:59:39 am by steve@dcfd »

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #273 on July 28, 2021, 08:58:42 am by Alan Southstand »
Fingers crossed, Reed follows on behind him!

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #274 on July 28, 2021, 09:17:02 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Barlow to have medical and complete his contract today then play against Sheffield United.

DBR it’s not about bashing the budget as you put it. If we have paid more for the players we require to improve then we have to slightly adjust our sites. Richie as been more open with what he’s had to do to acquire the players. Last year we had to rely on second hand information this year supporters have had an insight into what the club have had to do with signing of players. When was the last time we signed 5/6 permanent players hopefully 7 in one transfer window. But that’s been forced on the club with players leaving.

You know where I'm coming from. Those board baskets who insist that 2 + 2 must equal 5!

I don't think the approach is any different from the club however, we have a manager who is more assured with how he goes about his business what he's talking about with the media.

When I spoke someone at the club shortly after Richies appointment, they said he was like "A breath of fresh air".

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #275 on July 28, 2021, 11:04:57 am by sedwardsdrfc »
Could we take a risk with the keeper and use the money to get one of the outfield trialists in (Reed/Harrison)?

I know it’s not ideal having no one to push Jones but for injuries we can get emergency loans. Will depend on how much Jones is trusted I guess

This is professional football not football manager on the PlayStation. You don’t take stupid risks.

How is it any different to last season though? We had Balcome/Buirsk on loan and Jones who had never played as back up. In the end Bursik got injured and we were able to bring in Lumbley who was probably the best keeper we had all season.

It depends how much Wellens trusts Jones if there are question marks then of course we need another but if it’s cover for injuries I’d take the risk if it meant signing Reed

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #276 on July 28, 2021, 11:17:57 am by DonnyOsmond »
Could we take a risk with the keeper and use the money to get one of the outfield trialists in (Reed/Harrison)?

I know it’s not ideal having no one to push Jones but for injuries we can get emergency loans. Will depend on how much Jones is trusted I guess

This is professional football not football manager on the PlayStation. You don’t take stupid risks.

FM isn't available in PlayStation. ;)

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #277 on July 28, 2021, 11:34:36 am by MachoMadness »
Fingers crossed, Reed follows on behind him!
The fact he's still here is a huge boost imo. He obviously wants to be here. Wellens obviously wants him. Let's just hope we can get a contract on the table soon.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #278 on July 28, 2021, 11:39:13 am by steve@dcfd »
So it looks like there could still be 3/4 Trialists playing tonight. Hoping to offer Reed a contract. But must like the other two aswell but they might be a step to far. Also a new trialist if he’s prepared to play.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #279 on July 28, 2021, 12:43:47 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
I think we'll have a situation similar to the last few January's where all of a sudden money will be found. This summer is probably a really good time to sign up players on cheaper deals than before. Lot's a clubs cutting back evident by the quality of players we've had on trial.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #280 on July 28, 2021, 01:44:10 pm by Metalmicky »
Reed is of interest.... although may have gone early with his report as he thinks the friendly with Sheffield United has already happened.

https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/doncaster-rovers-have-real-interest-in-signing-trialist-louis-reed-3326519

While Rovers boss Wellens was originally looking for a deep-lying midfielder with different attributes to the 24-year-old, particularly someone more combative.  But he has been convinced that Reed - who was expected to feature again in last night’s friendly against Sheffield United - can slot into his system.

LH has just changed it to tonight's friendly.   :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 02:08:13 pm by Metalmicky »

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #281 on July 28, 2021, 01:50:11 pm by Chris Black come back »
This was also an interesting line.

“There are two or three senior players for whom the Rovers boss would listen to offers, as well as seeking to send out younger members of the squad on loan.”

If you exclude players that we have given contract extensions or have signed this summer or Wellens has confirmed are central to his plans - you are down to literally five possible candidates including Williams.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 02:00:47 pm by Chris Black come back »

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #282 on July 28, 2021, 02:10:25 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
It must be a small number. If we assume not the youngsters you're really down to Bostock, Bogle, Williams, John.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #283 on July 28, 2021, 02:15:12 pm by Metalmicky »
It must be a small number. If we assume not the youngsters you're really down to Bostock, Bogle, Williams, John.

Okenabirhie and maybe Seaman?

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #284 on July 28, 2021, 02:19:18 pm by GazLaz »

Okenabirhie and maybe Seaman?

He won’t want Fej and John to go surely. They are both very good.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #285 on July 28, 2021, 02:22:07 pm by steve@dcfd »
But there’s been no interest in any of the players Liam has said so unless things change we are snookered in bringing anybody in apart from a goal keeper loan.

I don’t see how young players going out on loan will save us money but should help with their development one would hope.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #286 on July 28, 2021, 02:32:24 pm by pib »
We're not in THAT bad shape IMO, but we do need 3 more probably IMO. This is excluding the younger lads who will be loaned out, and Ed Williams...

GK: Jones

RB: Knoyle, Seaman
CB: Anderson, RS-Williams, John
LB: Rowe, Horton

CM: Close, Bostock, Smith

RW: Taylor, Barlow?
ST: Okenabirhie, Bogle
LW: Cukur, Hiwula

To me we look OK in defensive areas. Probably need another midfield option, definitely a GK, and the wide areas look a bit thin on the ground, that's where I'm getting the 3 from.

We'll need a bit of luck with injuries/suspensions and will probably require the likes of John, Rowe, Hiwula to be versatile but with finances tight I don't think we're in a disastrous position. We've got a couple there for most positions, we just need that bit more depth.

Edit - agree with the above on Fej/John as well. We'd be mad to let those two go.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #287 on July 28, 2021, 03:12:24 pm by MachoMadness »
I think he sees Bostock as a big player for us, but maybe he's on a big wedge. Surely Bogle is one he's willing to let leave though.

Agree with the above, Fej and John are 2 of our better players.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #288 on July 28, 2021, 03:27:53 pm by the vicar »
If he really wants Reed and all other trialists go I think the board might give him the money

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #289 on July 28, 2021, 03:39:06 pm by jmt23 »
I would not be letting the young lad Seaman go, he looked very composed against Newcastle, and rapid! Only a short glimpse in to what he can do, but he looked assured.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #290 on July 28, 2021, 03:43:37 pm by Retdon1 »
I think he sees Bostock as a big player for us, but maybe he's on a big wedge. Surely Bogle is one he's willing to let leave though.

I don’t think Bostock is on that much. He commented on one of his YouTube videos when he signed saying his wage wasn’t what he was hoping for and was a drop on what he thought he would get but was just happy to be back in football.

I honestly think Bostock will excel playing under Wellens and the type of football we plan on playing

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #291 on July 28, 2021, 03:54:52 pm by DearneValleyRover »

I don’t think Bostock is on that much. He commented on one of his YouTube videos when he signed saying his wage wasn’t what he was hoping for and was a drop on what he thought he would get but was just happy to be back in football.

I honestly think Bostock will excel playing under Wellens and the type of football we plan on playing

That statement doesn’t mean he isn’t on a fairly high salary for us, just not in his eyes

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #292 on July 28, 2021, 03:57:36 pm by DonnyOsmond »

He might have wanted 10k a week but we've offered him 4k a week.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #293 on July 29, 2021, 06:38:29 pm by Janso »
First time I saw Reed play last night and although it was only one match, I don't see why people are tugging themselves into a coma over him.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #294 on July 29, 2021, 06:56:14 pm by NickDRFC »
First time I saw Reed play last night and although it was only one match, I don't see why people are tugging themselves into a coma over him.

Who’s been doing that?

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #295 on July 29, 2021, 07:28:51 pm by ravenrover »
Had a decent game against The Toon that's why. Very poor last night though

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #296 on July 29, 2021, 08:04:02 pm by Jonathan »
I’m not sure Reed was “very poor.” I’d say he was exposed physically and not as controlled with the ball as he was in the previous game. He did some good things, but it was a very difficult game for the whole team.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #297 on July 29, 2021, 09:48:09 pm by ravenrover »
He was left for dead on several occasions, they just ran past him. On that performance he certainly is not the mester that RW wants in front of the back four something he alluded to in his presser

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #298 on July 29, 2021, 10:14:08 pm by Chris Black come back »
He’s a good and tidy player who would at League One level no doubt be a useful addition, but he’s a luxury frankly as we need a type of player in the midfield that is not him. It was mystifying how on the basis of one friendly people were getting so worked up about signing up up. A good player and nice to have, but he will not be our most important signing in this window to say the least.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #299 on July 29, 2021, 11:11:36 pm by MachoMadness »
Wouldn't be pre season without fans getting carried away with a player based on one pre season game. I remember thinking Rachid Bouhenna was a world beater after seeing him play once in a friendly. I was on magic mushrooms at the time though.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012