Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:26:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Trialists  (Read 34817 times)

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
Re: Trialists
« Reply #30 on July 15, 2021, 03:12:54 pm by Metalmicky »
DFP article today saying one of the trialists has done enough to earn a contract offer. Also that we're close on a forward loan. Seems talk of the DM target is thin on the ground, though.

I though Darren Moore had left...  :whistle:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on July 15, 2021, 03:13:36 pm by sha66y »
Barlow probably fits what Wellens is after

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on July 15, 2021, 03:14:32 pm by steve@dcfd »
I believe RW would like Williams to find another club which will allow him to bring in some squad players and the loans he wants. We are close to a loan forward but the GK is at a standstill. The DMid seems out of the reach of our budget at the moment. Whether RW can sign any of the Trialist we will wait and see. But squad is still thin and we will need players to cover for injuries ans suspensions.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on July 15, 2021, 03:17:14 pm by GazLaz »
The budget definitely feels a mid table one this year as opposed to a top 6 one.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on July 15, 2021, 03:19:10 pm by DonnyOsmond »
DFP article today saying one of the trialists has done enough to earn a contract offer. Also that we're close on a forward loan. Seems talk of the DM target is thin on the ground, though.

Loan forward may be the lad from Blackburn.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on July 15, 2021, 03:29:24 pm by sha66y »
The budget definitely feels a mid table one this year as opposed to a top 6 one.

Explain?

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on July 15, 2021, 03:38:59 pm by GazLaz »

Explain?

I think it’s pretty self explanatory.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on July 15, 2021, 04:36:12 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

Fair in this league? Without huge money you've no chance budget wise against Wigan, Ipswich, Sunderland, sheff wed etc.

One_Matty_Lucas

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on July 15, 2021, 04:43:48 pm by One_Matty_Lucas »

Fair in this league? Without huge money you've no chance budget wise against Wigan, Ipswich, Sunderland, sheff wed etc.

Isn't this what Gavin warned us about ?

Reduced budget this year while we pay back the Covid related costs (wages, tax bill etc.) and back to Top 6 next year when things pick up a bit.

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on July 15, 2021, 05:30:32 pm by RugbyRover »

What about playing Tommy Rowe as the DM?

Saves his legs and he should be able to play the position with his eyes shut.
Leaves Horton playing left back.
Not ideal but it could make the most of our current crop of players and budget.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on July 15, 2021, 06:06:13 pm by Alan Southstand »
The problem with that, Rugby, is we’re having to do that now, when everyone is fit and able, what the hell happens when we start getting injuries and suspensions?

We’re not ready yet and the squad is terribly thin!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 06:31:13 pm by Alan Southstand »

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on July 15, 2021, 06:21:33 pm by sha66y »

Explain?

No it’s not actually, in fact I would say it was a very vague statement…
Are you saying the budget reflects the signings, and you feel these are lower budget players , hence not as good as higher priced players?

If so, which players are you not happy with , and why?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on July 15, 2021, 06:28:59 pm by drfchound »
I believe RW would like Williams to find another club which will allow him to bring in some squad players and the loans he wants. We are close to a loan forward but the GK is at a standstill. The DMid seems out of the reach of our budget at the moment. Whether RW can sign any of the Trialist we will wait and see. But squad is still thin and we will need players to cover for injuries ans suspensions.

If Williams has a year left on his contract you couldn't blame him for hanging around if he can't get another club to come up with something close to his current wages.
We might end up doing a mutual contract termination deal with him.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on July 15, 2021, 06:36:18 pm by roversdude »
Really hope we can sort something out with Barlow

jamesrover17

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on July 15, 2021, 06:40:11 pm by jamesrover17 »
Really hope we can sort something out with Barlow

Agreed but I wouldn’t be breaking the bank, he was awful for the first 15/20 minutes on Saturday until he got his first goal then he grew into the game… Dan Gardner looked very effective as well

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on July 15, 2021, 06:58:06 pm by roversdude »
Yeah Richie stated in DFP that he needed cajoling for first 20minutes, bit sneaky or mercenary touching Gardners shot over line too. For the right deal and a manager who believes in him we could have one for the future

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on July 15, 2021, 09:01:24 pm by Chris Black come back »

Explain?

I think that is right. When you look at who we have signed and the teeth sucking Wellens performs in every interview, we are running to a tight budget this season. Given how the other contenders are stacking up, Wellens has correctly set the bar for this season as consolidation and next season - when budget hopefully comes back up - we will be more competitive. That’s fine with me and I suspect plenty others, let him build something worth watching and we can finally get back into the ground. We are being properly outgunned in terms of how some others are spending though.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on July 15, 2021, 09:10:56 pm by roversdude »
Can see some tears being shed with the money being thrown about lots of points deductions coming this season that may even things up for us

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on July 15, 2021, 10:01:11 pm by scawsby steve »

Explain?

I think that is right. When you look at who we have signed and the teeth sucking Wellens performs in every interview, we are running to a tight budget this season. Given how the other contenders are stacking up, Wellens has correctly set the bar for this season as consolidation and next season - when budget hopefully comes back up - we will be more competitive. That’s fine with me and I suspect plenty others, let him build something worth watching and we can finally get back into the ground. We are being properly outgunned in terms of how some others are spending though.

CBCB, can you explain what you mean by "consolidation"? How can you consolidate, and then be more competitive the next season, when you'll lose most of your good players because they want to play at a higher level, as happens to us every season that we're not promoted?

It's a vicious circle.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on July 15, 2021, 10:15:45 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Way i see it we've signed 5 decent quality players this season on longer contracts so they'll be with us a while. Get new contracts sorted for those that perform well, earlier this time. Then next summer have a similar transfer window signing another 4-5 decent players and we've in theory built a side that is all Wellens players and with luck ,and a few loanees, can be in the playoffs. That's how i see consolidation.

Personally don't think we're that far off now. We should be better than last season if you compare like for like and we've not got the 4 loanees yet.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on July 15, 2021, 10:17:03 pm by drfchound »
It must be hard to plan out your results.
Win a few, lose a few and draw a few to ensure a mid table finish.

CGJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on July 15, 2021, 10:38:28 pm by CGJ »
Yeah Richie stated in DFP that he needed cajoling for first 20minutes, bit sneaky or mercenary touching Gardners shot over line too. For the right deal and a manager who believes in him we could have one for the future

His goals came from two tap-ins and a big deflection so hope his luck continues.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on July 15, 2021, 10:41:04 pm by drfchound »
I hope we get a striker who gets twenty tap ins this season.
It is all about being in the right place to tap them in.
Instinctive, no luck involved.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on July 15, 2021, 11:00:54 pm by sha66y »

Explain?

But does spending more money equal better quality players every time?

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on July 15, 2021, 11:23:52 pm by steve@dcfd »
We were slightly better off last season than how we are at the moment we are a Gk, DM, 2 attacking midfielders and utility defender short for me. Last season when transfer window closed we had 18 players including 5 loans back up with Williams and young lads. So far we have 13 players including 1 loan backed up by Williams and young lads. So even with 4 loanees we still wont have 18. If any of the Trialist are deemed good enough then we need them to pad out the squad.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 11:36:01 pm by steve@dcfd »

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on July 16, 2021, 04:07:05 am by godlike1 »
Way i see it we've signed 5 decent quality players this season on longer contracts so they'll be with us a while. Get new contracts sorted for those that perform well, earlier this time. Then next summer have a similar transfer window signing another 4-5 decent players and we've in theory built a side that is all Wellens players and with luck ,and a few loanees, can be in the playoffs. That's how i see consolidation.

Personally don't think we're that far off now. We should be better than last season if you compare like for like and we've not got the 4 loanees yet.

Longer contracts in them being 2 yes as opposed to 18mnths I agree with you. But next season those signed up other (other than close on an 3yr) will only have 1 Yr left meaning we will be in this continuous cycle of possibly loosing large numbers of players every season.

Agreed much better that they are not loans and happy with that but these are seasoned league 1 players in the main not really a gamble on them is it?

I just don't get it. The club tell us one thing but actions continuously say something else on certain things. E.g. if they had all signed 2.5 or 3yr deals that would tell me they are looking to build something.

I could be wrong but I don't think they have options for a further year on most brought in so far.

Like I say I struggle to see the long term plan so if anyone can enlighten me I would be greatful

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on July 16, 2021, 08:18:58 am by steve@dcfd »
We are still short of players and I appreciate the season has not started yet. Comparing last year to this we still need at least 5 more players, if Williams goes we need 6. RW as mentioned needing 4 loans plus Trialists.

karldew

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on July 16, 2021, 08:24:01 am by karldew »
Does anyone think we won’t sign another keeper? Put the youth team keeper on the bench? Then if we need to we can take advantage of the emergency loan?

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on July 16, 2021, 08:30:55 am by steve@dcfd »
No that’s not the way to go we either need a full loan keeper or permanent I appreciate some of the players if not all may have slightly bigger wages. But  we should have enough in the budget to get the loans and one or two Trialist that RW and the squad requires.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012