Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:55:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Trialists  (Read 34613 times)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Re: Trialists
« Reply #60 on July 16, 2021, 08:41:06 am by Chris Black come back »
We are building up a decent XI that can hold their own in the top half, definitely. Beyond that XI though it is a bit thin on experience. Perhaps we have to wait until next season to bulk the bench out a bit, either our younger lads getting more experience or we bring in seasoned League One players next year. The XI certainly looks useful though so far.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on July 16, 2021, 08:50:28 am by Metalmicky »
We are building up a decent XI that can hold their own in the top half, definitely. Beyond that XI though it is a bit thin on experience. Perhaps we have to wait until next season to bulk the bench out a bit, either our younger lads getting more experience or we bring in seasoned League One players next year. The XI certainly looks useful though so far.

But we may not need seasoned League One players in the Championship.... :silly:

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on July 16, 2021, 08:51:36 am by sedwardsdrfc »
People forgetting that players who are doing a good job can be offered a contract extension so if they are with us for 2 years that isn’t the maximum they’ll stay!

We’ve not done that enough recently or left it too late and it’s become a problem. Looking at the way Wellens has gone about things he’ll be more decisive in offering contracts before it’s too late

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on July 16, 2021, 09:04:46 am by graingrover »
I have taken a long time to learn to enjoy the road we are on at present and not allow the hope for a higher league status to spoil the journey; for the journey is what life is all about.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on July 16, 2021, 10:24:57 am by Barmby Rover »
Remember that we still have the loan market, I think 4 was mentioned in the FP, that starts to bulk up the bench.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on July 16, 2021, 08:45:04 pm by steve@dcfd »
Yes we can sign 4 loans but we will still be short even though the budget is bigger. We have 13 players at the moment. We have three central midfield players we need at least one more especially a Defensive Midfield player. If Williams leaves we will need 2 more plus the 4 loans. Just to match the start from last season.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on July 16, 2021, 08:58:47 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Yes we can sign 4 loans but we will still be short even though the budget is bigger. We have 13 players at the moment. We have three central midfield players we need at least one more especially a Defensive Midfield player. If Williams leaves we will need 2 more plus the 4 loans. Just to match the start from last season.

We only need a DM, otherwise we're signing players for the sake of it and blocking the path for Hasani, Ravenhill and Greaves.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on July 16, 2021, 09:04:17 pm by steve@dcfd »

We only need a DM, otherwise we're signing players for the sake of it and blocking the path for Hasani, Ravenhill and Greaves.
Depends if you want to be in a relegation battle an 18 and 19 are not going to compete in league one. Greaves has show this season what’s he’s got if anything. We will see how good they are if they play against Bradford tomorrow with others isolating
« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 09:12:42 pm by steve@dcfd »

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on July 16, 2021, 09:21:00 pm by DonnyOsmond »

Depends if you want to be in a relegation battle an 18 and 19 are not going to compete in league one. Greaves has show this season what’s he’s got if anything. We will see how good they are if they play against Bradford tomorrow with others isolating

Where did I say they'd play every game?

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on July 16, 2021, 10:08:31 pm by Retdon1 »

Greaves is no where near good enough. I can’t comment on the other two as I’ve not seen either play enough

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on July 16, 2021, 10:35:23 pm by RobTheRover »
I have taken a long time to learn to enjoy the road we are on at present and not allow the hope for a higher league status to spoil the journey; for the journey is what life is all about.

Spot on Brian.

As Frank Turner sings "If you're all about the destination, take a f**kin' flight"

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on July 16, 2021, 10:38:07 pm by Alan Southstand »
It doesn’t really matter whether we think Greaves, Hasani and Ravenhill are good enough because we’re not the ones with our heads on the block. RW has already seen them in training and has hinted that one or two will be going out on loan. That says it all, as far as I’m concerned.

In order to compete in this league, we’ll need lads who’ve been there and bought the T shirt. If we don’t get the right sort of quality in, then the writing’s on the wall. Minimum requirement, this next season, is to stay in league one. To drop down into league 2 and have to start again is not acceptable, particularly as we now have players on longer deals. Several Clubs have already set their stalls out - that they don’t intend staying in L1 much longer. Of course, not all of them will, but it leaves very little room in the top half of the table for a club on a very tight budget.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on July 16, 2021, 11:16:55 pm by DonnyOsmond »

Greaves is no where near good enough. I can’t comment on the other two as I’ve not seen either play enough

"No where near good enough" is harsh IMO. He's a quality tackler who can read the opposition, which allows him to intercept and block passes. He just needs to improve his discipline so he's not a walking yellow card, but that'll come with experience. He could also do with improving his ball retention. Definitely fine as an understudy at DM.

Plumbster

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on July 16, 2021, 11:58:29 pm by Plumbster »
Agree I don’t think AJ deserves to be dismissed like that just yet and I would prefer it if we supported our youngsters.  He is still improving and will hopefully learn quickly from RW, let’s give the lad a chance.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on July 17, 2021, 12:13:02 am by Retdon1 »

"No where near good enough" is harsh IMO. He's a quality tackler who can read the opposition, which allows him to intercept and block passes. He just needs to improve his discipline so he's not a walking yellow card, but that'll come with experience. He could also do with improving his ball retention. Definitely fine as an understudy at DM.

I watched him in each of his games last season and a few times when he was on loan at Gainsborough. I agree he’s a decent tackler and puts in 100% effort but his main weakness is his passing. It’s no where near the level needed for league 1 level. A key role of the DM role now days  is passing and this is where Greves gets found out. He was only making the bench at the end of his loan spell at Gainsborough which says it all for me.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on July 17, 2021, 06:17:35 am by steve@dcfd »
If Richie believed the three lads were ready for a squad role at league one level he wouldn’t be looking at midfield Trialist. He wouldn’t be talking about sending some out on loan for experience. He may have to use them if the funds are not available to bring in a DM player or another midfield player. Just because they come through the ranks of DRFC doesn’t mean they should be in the squad if they are not ready or at the level to contribute at league one 
When we started last season we could put out a side plus substitutes with no young lads in the squad apart from injuries. This season we wouldn’t be able to do that even with 4 more loans.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 06:25:48 am by steve@dcfd »

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #76 on July 18, 2021, 10:37:48 am by Monkcaster_Rover »
I don't get this writing off of young players. Is he even 20 yet? Who here was a dab hand in their own particular jobs at such a young age?

Give them time before we start saying they aren't good enough.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on July 18, 2021, 11:27:39 am by steve@dcfd »
Not writing them off and never said they werent good enough what I’m saying they aren’t ready for squad players at league 1 level now. It will be a learning curve for them and Richie throughout the season. Worse possible scenario is that we do not have a U23 side or good enough league at that level for them to show progression. If they were at a Cat 2 club they would have a better chance unfortunately that not us. Some will have to show their skills and attitude this season with pre arranged friendlies or if they get the chance in the first team squad.

Danmckay456

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on July 18, 2021, 01:21:19 pm by Danmckay456 »
These days a 20 year old is usually experienced

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on July 22, 2021, 10:19:37 am by steve@dcfd »
Richie hoping to have at least four of the Trialist for the Newcastle game. It’s whether they are patient as we can’t offer any of them a contract yet. Players have got to go to allow any in at the moment.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on July 22, 2021, 10:38:35 am by DonnyOsmond »
Richie hoping to have at least four of the Trialist for the Newcastle game. It’s whether they are patient as we can’t offer any of them a contract yet. Players have got to go to allow any in at the moment.

Reed, Barlow, Harrison and Colkett.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on July 22, 2021, 10:55:02 am by vaya »

Reed, Barlow, Harrison and Colkett.

Mid-Counties Solicitors firm.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on July 22, 2021, 11:14:54 am by Alan Southstand »
Those 4 would give us much-needed depth to the squad, but it really depends how many we have to ship out?

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on July 22, 2021, 11:30:32 am by DonnyOsmond »
Those 4 would give us much-needed depth to the squad, but it really depends how many we have to ship out?

Yeah, unless Ed Williams is on 100K a week we'll have to ship out more than one to then have to replace them.

jamesrover17

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on July 22, 2021, 11:55:26 am by jamesrover17 »
I suspect Williams and or Cam John out and some youngsters out on loan will probably cover it

Cam John is just a hunch though

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #85 on July 22, 2021, 12:01:00 pm by Lesonthewest »
Reed looks very good to me, spoke to a few Sheff Utd mates & they rated him in his time there, & surprised he didn't make it higher, made his debut at 16/17 I believe. Think Richie would get the best from him having played in a similar position.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on July 22, 2021, 12:03:57 pm by DonnyOsmond »
I suspect Williams and or Cam John out and some youngsters out on loan will probably cover it

We'd need two center backs in then instead of one! :laugh:

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on July 22, 2021, 12:18:18 pm by RugbyRover »

Bogle & Bostock for me

(another firm of solicitors ?)

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on July 22, 2021, 12:29:00 pm by MachoMadness »
Wellens seems quite high on both Bogle and Bostock so can't see them moving. Bostock in particular.

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on July 22, 2021, 12:32:38 pm by 5minstogo »
Wellens seems quite high on both Bogle and Bostock so can't see them moving. Bostock in particular.

In fairness he's not going to say they are shit if he wants to move them on. 

TinyPortal © 2005-2012