Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:23:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Trialists  (Read 34051 times)

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
Re: Trialists
« Reply #180 on July 24, 2021, 04:42:22 pm by steve@dcfd »
I believe last night Cam John came on and he played well he looked as good as Williams and he has pace just the same. Also Richie said he was excellent on Radio Sheffield interview. He’s done well since he was disregarded by Butler and showed he still good enough for our team if required.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #181 on July 24, 2021, 05:51:27 pm by Jonathan »
I believe last night Cam John came on and he played well he looked as good as Williams and he has pace just the same. Also Richie said he was excellent on Radio Sheffield interview. He’s done well since he was disregarded by Butler and showed he still good enough for our team if required.

Agreed. I’d like to think Cameron John will get plenty of chances to play at centre half this season. He’s a big part of the team and the squad.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #182 on July 24, 2021, 06:27:54 pm by GazLaz »

Agreed. I’d like to think Cameron John will get plenty of chances to play at centre half this season. He’s a big part of the team and the squad.

I think he will be the surprise package. The only slight shame is that he’s left footed and Anderson likes to play on the left of the two CHs. That may end up being switched.

Arsenal Of The North

• Forum Member
« Reply #183 on July 24, 2021, 06:34:36 pm by Arsenal Of The North »
You must all be mad, RW has made it clear TA & Williams are his first choice CB pairing, he won’t budge from that not unless either of them are massively out of form (very unlikely) or they pick up an injury. I feel for CJ, he’s one of the players I enjoy watching (when played in the correct position) but I feel he will have a frustrating season ahead with view to game time. Unless for some bizarre reason RW is to for some reason change to a back 3

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #184 on July 24, 2021, 06:46:52 pm by dickos1 »
It doesn’t really matter if they’re his first choice, it’s not set in stone, if one of them has a few poor games then it’s upto John to take his chance.
That’s what football is all about, waiting for your chance and then trying to make it impossible for the manager to drop you

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #185 on July 24, 2021, 07:04:15 pm by Jonathan »
It doesn’t really matter if they’re his first choice, it’s not set in stone, if one of them has a few poor games then it’s upto John to take his chance.
That’s what football is all about, waiting for your chance and then trying to make it impossible for the manager to drop you

Exactly. I think we all know that Anderson and Williams will start the season, but John will inevitably get chances to show how good he is.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #186 on July 24, 2021, 07:11:45 pm by PDX_Rover »
He’s also hoping to have the trialists he wants to keep offered deals by Wednesday, I hope to god one of them is Reed!

Aren’t they under an embargo? Boom tish.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #187 on July 25, 2021, 05:24:05 pm by sha66y »
Louis Reed should be nailed on by Wednesday, RWs body language was assured as was his expression, …..unless he plays high stakes poker that is…

If Richie wants him and the case is there to give us a better chance of success than not having him….I just don’t see the board saying No!

Michael Gibson

• Forum Member
« Reply #188 on July 25, 2021, 06:06:26 pm by Michael Gibson »
Any reason given for Bostock missing??? Definitely think there trying to offload, bit of strange one, on his day he’s probably the best midfielder in the league but that’s 1 in every 6 games can RW sort him out?? I doubt it, free funds up for Reid all day long

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #189 on July 25, 2021, 06:39:56 pm by ravenrover »
Didn't Free Press say he was ill?

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #190 on July 25, 2021, 08:18:24 pm by BobG »
Rumoured to be Covided.

BobG

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #191 on July 25, 2021, 08:20:08 pm by Retdon1 »
Sounds like Bostock was the player who had Covid

Michael Gibson

• Forum Member
« Reply #192 on July 25, 2021, 08:32:53 pm by Michael Gibson »
Cheers

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #193 on July 25, 2021, 09:56:15 pm by dknward2 »
Think Wellens said something along the lines of he is due next week. Think he needs the time to get back up to speed

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #194 on July 25, 2021, 10:04:09 pm by since-1969 »
Wellens said in an interview somewhere he'd like another CB. Which seems odd having just let Butler go.
  Do you think having  of last season’s manager would be a good addition to Wellens squad ?

jm291

• VSC Member
« Reply #195 on July 26, 2021, 07:57:19 am by jm291 »
Latest DFP article doesn’t read too positively RE the trialists signing up. New loan keeper nearly there though, guess would be it’s Matěj Kovář

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #196 on July 26, 2021, 08:14:20 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
I don't particularly read it that way. Same message. It doesn't say the signing of further triallists won't happen. I guess it will depend how keen RW is to sign the players and if he thinks they are starting contenders that might push a contracted player down the pecking order. It's all part of managing the squad size. We can't afford to have contracted players sat on their arse.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #197 on July 26, 2021, 08:35:09 am by NickDRFC »
I don't particularly read it that way. Same message. It doesn't say the signing of further triallists won't happen. I guess it will depend how keen RW is to sign the players and if he thinks they are starting contenders that might push a contracted player down the pecking order. It's all part of managing the squad size. We can't afford to have contracted players sat on their arse.

If we sign a trialist they become a contracted player. If “we can’t afford to have contracted players sat on their arse” then we wouldn’t even fill a bench.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #198 on July 26, 2021, 08:44:25 am by GazLaz »
“ If further additions are to be made, it will require contracted players to be moved on in order to free up funds.

Despite this, boss Richie Wellens is hopeful of working out an agreement with at least one more of the trialists that have been training with the club.”

Feels to me as if contracted players leaving is inevitable.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #199 on July 26, 2021, 09:09:47 am by the vicar »
I’m sure Barlow will sign today or tomorrow but my bet is today

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #200 on July 26, 2021, 09:20:28 am by DonnyBazR0ver »

If we sign a trialist they become a contracted player. If “we can’t afford to have contracted players sat on their arse” then we wouldn’t even fill a bench.

You know exactly what I mean!

thumper

• Forum Member
« Reply #201 on July 26, 2021, 09:40:10 am by thumper »
“ If further additions are to be made, it will require contracted players to be moved on in order to free up funds.

Despite this, boss Richie Wellens is hopeful of working out an agreement with at least one more of the trialists that have been training with the club.”

Strange one isn't it. Saying players need to leave to free up budget but still hopeful of one MORE trialist agreeing a contract. Wonder if they've set aside some budget already to get the trialists signed up.......

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #202 on July 26, 2021, 09:54:04 am by DonnyOsmond »
They've spoke about the young lads going on loan, them in total will potentially allow us to bring in one more then maybe Ed Williams going would bring us in another.

Danmckay456

• Forum Member
« Reply #203 on July 26, 2021, 10:00:46 am by Danmckay456 »
Hopefully it’s Reed who we are trying to
Get in ticks boxes for what we need then it allows us to see how we are getting on and I still don’t expect Bostock to remain with us looking at his previous club hopping and Williams no doubt will pick a club up then another couple of loans in as I’m sure wellens won’t want more than 5

rover-n-out

• Forum Member
« Reply #204 on July 26, 2021, 10:13:27 am by rover-n-out »
Think Wellens said something along the lines of he is due next week. Think he needs the time to get back up to speed

Made me chuckle the above from dknward2, as we don't normally read the  words 'Bostock' and 'Speed' in the same sentence!

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #205 on July 26, 2021, 11:01:54 am by Alan Southstand »
Depends who the contracted players is who leaves! If it’s Ed Williams, then we can sign a better replacement, from amongst the triallists. If it’s, say, Bostock, then we need to sign 2, such that we replace him and have a standby on the bench.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #206 on July 26, 2021, 11:19:34 am by Chris Black come back »

Aside from Williams, the moment you get past him you run into senior players. Been saying for ages that Bostock is a great player but a luxury and doesn’t immediately strike you as a Wellens player. He would also be on very good money, for us at least. Suspect he is the most likely after Williams. If Wellens said Williams’ wages could deliver two salaries for trialists, then Bostock must be at least the same. These two going would give us 2-3 of the trialists. We’ve then got a decent senior XI plus bench. Presuming the loans are beyond these.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 11:21:59 am by Chris Black come back »

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #207 on July 26, 2021, 11:57:01 am by RugbyRover »
I'm a bit surprised that no one has made a bid for Tom Anderson tbh.

RW was talking him up as the best center back in the League. He's probably the last saleable asset in our squad who we could get a fee for. Wigan are in the market for a defender.

Should we cash in on Tom and sign more of these Trialists?

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #208 on July 26, 2021, 12:21:11 pm by RoversAlias »
Anderson's drop off in the second half of last season probably hurt his attraction to teams this summer. If he picks up again that will change, I'm sure.

From that article on the FP today, I'd imagine we are trying to sign Barlow and Reed and offload Ed Williams. If we do that, sign a goalkeeper, defender and forward on loan then we are well set for the season. Even if we only sign the two trialists and the GK I think we're alright as well providing some of the younger players step up.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #209 on July 26, 2021, 12:28:25 pm by steve@dcfd »
No we need him also we would have to replace him and that would not be cheap as none of the defensive Trialist come any where near him. Selling Tom like Whiteman last year would not be good for the team.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012