Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 07:19:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: England vs Denmark  (Read 6092 times)

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
Re: England vs Denmark
« Reply #60 on July 07, 2021, 10:56:59 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
It'd be interesting to look back and see what people on here said about Southgate when he was appointed.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on July 07, 2021, 10:57:16 pm by Campsall rover »
Crikey I am pleased it didnt go to pens.

We would have lost judging by that pen from HK.

Phew what a game. I am a physical wreck.

We need to be more clinical on Sunday. We really should have won that by 3 clear goals.

But we won so well done to GS and all the players. Absolutely over the moon.
It’s been a 55 year wait. 11 years old. First final in my adult life. Ridiculous really for one of the power house football nations.

Let’s finish the job now and show we are the kings of Europe.  :that:

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on July 07, 2021, 11:05:26 pm by roversdude »
Brilliant and well done Luke Shaw

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on July 07, 2021, 11:05:42 pm by Filo »
I think Italy will pose the same problems as Denmark, quick on the break, we struggled with that tonight at times

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #64 on July 07, 2021, 11:05:53 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
It'd be interesting to look back and see what people on here said about Southgate when he was appointed.

Hands up here. I thought he was a poor choice. Happy to be proved wrong.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on July 07, 2021, 11:10:08 pm by drfchound »
He was never going to take Sterling off. England’s best players for about 3 years. And our biggest threat tonight.

This.
Sterling has been outstanding tonight and Southgate would have been crazy to take him off.
He scared the Danes to death whenever he got the ball.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on July 07, 2021, 11:11:17 pm by drfchound »
In the words of a well known young man.

“We’ve only gone and done it”.

Well, almost the same words.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on July 07, 2021, 11:19:16 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
For me, we have to get Henderson involved in the final. He has that experience and know how that Phillips doesn't.

For large parts, the game passed Phillips by but kept at and did well towards the end, but if we want to win this thing, we need Henderson.

Not convinced with Gareths subs. Just one change going into extra time is asking alot of the 10 players who started a game at this level of intensity.

Can't grumble too much of course cos we won in the end.

Make the most of the next few days. Maybe after this game, our players will now really know what takes to win a big game.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on July 07, 2021, 11:21:09 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Sterling has been superb all tournament. Such a shame Spinazzola is out. Would have been great to see the two outstanding players of the tournament go head to head.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on July 07, 2021, 11:27:42 pm by drfchound »
DBR.  We surely have to trust Gareth’s judgement.
The lads in the pitch appeared to be in control and none of them looked tired.
I also like Henderson but it is unfair to criticise Philips tonight.
He had a very good game.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on July 07, 2021, 11:30:30 pm by dickos1 »
As Ashley Cole said after the game Phillips is possibly our most important player he’s what links it altogether.
No way on earth will he be dropped on Sunday he has been immense throughout the tournament.
I think the only change on Sunday will be foden for saka

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on July 07, 2021, 11:36:29 pm by Janso »
We'll either get absolutely arse f**ked or it'll be one for the ages, imo.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on July 07, 2021, 11:38:11 pm by dickos1 »
I think the final will be less stressful than that, that was another level, I couldn’t cope

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on July 07, 2021, 11:40:29 pm by PDX_Rover »
The referee was shite. How he didn't give the cast iron penalty, and gave the soft one. Typical. Gave us f**k all though over the game... Poor.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on July 07, 2021, 11:41:05 pm by drfchound »
Denmark were very hard to beat.
Having seen off the Germans off it is fair to say that anyone who thinks we have had an easy route to the Final is bonkers.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on July 07, 2021, 11:44:24 pm by Campsall rover »
As Ashley Cole said after the game Phillips is possibly our most important player he’s what links it altogether.
No way on earth will he be dropped on Sunday he has been immense throughout the tournament.
Or Sancho for Saka.
Yes Phillips was a bit lost 1st half tonight imo. Didn’t defend well at all. 2nd half when we controlled the game better he looked much more comfortable.
I think it is possible he will start Henderson in the Final. Possible not probable i would say.
Think Henderson could possibly start instead of Rice.
We will see.
I trust GS whatever he does he knows more than me what to do.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #76 on July 07, 2021, 11:44:53 pm by Filo »
Can’t really fault Southgates decisions, but taking Grealish off and going to a back 5, made for a very nervous last 15 mins, we were well on top and then conceded ground to them, we could have gone for the jugular and killed it off

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on July 07, 2021, 11:48:12 pm by selby »
  We could have and probably should have had more, brilliant goalkeeping added to over elaborating play in the box kept them in it, Denmark were out on their feet after an hour and played well above themselves.
  We dominated every stat, except their constant tactical  fouling  in mid field, we outclassed them all over the park and only effort and doggedness kept them in the game.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on July 07, 2021, 11:48:36 pm by drfchound »
I thought we managed the game out well for the last fifteen minutes and especially the last seven or eight minutes.
Denmark were barely able to create a decent chance.
Going to a back five proved to be a right decision.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on July 07, 2021, 11:50:02 pm by Campsall rover »
Can’t really fault Southgates decisions, but taking Grealish off and going to a back 5, made for a very nervous last 15 mins, we were well on top and then conceded ground to them, we could have gone for the jugular and killed it off
We still could had killed it off without Grealish. That was a brave decision subbing a sub. Not many managers do that. It was the right decision.
By going to a back 5 we completely stifled a tiring Danish team. Tactics were once again bang on.
We are in the final.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #80 on July 07, 2021, 11:52:38 pm by dickos1 »

The last 15 mins was the calmest I felt throughout the game, southgate contributed to that

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #81 on July 07, 2021, 11:53:38 pm by dickos1 »
Or Sancho for Saka.
Yes Phillips was a bit lost 1st half tonight imo. Didn’t defend well at all. 2nd half when we controlled the game better he looked much more comfortable.
I think it is possible he will start Henderson in the Final. Possible not probable i would say.
We will see.

First half it was more out fullbacks were too high so midfielders and centre halves were getting dragged everywhere

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #82 on July 07, 2021, 11:54:27 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Or Sancho for Saka.
We will see.

Thank you. I agree. 

Hound. If I'd said Phillips was crap, then fair dos. He did get better. All I'm saying, if you want to win tournaments you need players of Hendersons ability and experience.

Phillips has a great future ahead of him no doubt. I would want him on along with Grealish if we want to see a game out from a winning position.

We will need all we had tonight and more v Italy.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #83 on July 08, 2021, 12:16:31 am by dickos1 »
Phillips has played every minute of every game other than when the game was won v Ukraine
There’s no way he’ll be dropped for the final

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on July 08, 2021, 12:24:23 am by RoversAlias »
All the people on this thread saying we should have gone for it at 2-1...that's why Gareth Southgate is England manager and us lot aren't.

Denmark were knackered, and switching to a 5-2-3 guarded us against their counter threat and thus meant they had nothing because they were never breaking lines or out-maneouvring us when they were so tired.

We had something like a 40 or 50 passing sequence in total control towards the end of ET, entirely because our shape allowed us to move it around freely.

I'm so pleased for Southgate. He's had so much stick off England fans for his entire tenure...well he's done something now only one other manager ever has and taken England to a major final. He's done it his way and never wavered, and it is paying off. He knows what he is doing, he's a superb leader and man and is now in the top two for England managers all-time, surely.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on July 08, 2021, 12:39:13 am by MachoMadness »
Southgate got it spot on as he has at every stage of the tournament. It was squeaky bum time for the fans but the players looked in total control. Denmark were shattered because we pulled them all over the place all game. Italy won't fancy playing us as they've been playing hell for leather all tournament.

England in a final. f**k me. Doesn't feel real.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on July 08, 2021, 01:19:15 am by Drover »
Im not happy,we conceded a goal,bloody rubbish Southgate!

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #87 on July 08, 2021, 04:33:01 am by PDX_Rover »
Southgate is proving to be an excellent coach and tactician. He’s also the only England player ever to have a badger named after him by Harry Hill.

Denmark are a very good team. They made England work but we had too much quality in the end. Great game management too.

Officials were poor.

Watched the game at a great British pub here in San Diego. Managed by a woman from Rotherham. Mad scenes!

Surreal that we are in a final. Can’t quite get my head around it after all those nights of agony.

Did Harry Kane give their captain an Ericson spurs shirt before kickoff? If so, lovely touch.

So to Italy… can’t wait. I think the German ref is in charge and he’s been excellent.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #88 on July 08, 2021, 06:58:44 am by roversdude »
PDX I think they gave him an England shirt signed by the whole team with Erikson on the back

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #89 on July 08, 2021, 07:32:45 am by i_ateallthepies »
The one player who made massive contributions last night but hasn't been mentioned is Kyle Walker using his pace covering gaps in the rest of the defence we would have been opened up numerous times.  Without him we wouldn't get away with playing the high defensive line.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012