Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 11:08:52 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Italy vs England Euro2020 Final  (Read 14776 times)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: Italy vs England Euro2020 Final
« Reply #90 on July 11, 2021, 08:30:00 am by Filo »
When foden came on against Denmark he looked a class above everyone else on the pitch. If fit it’d be between him and Saka for me

Foden has a knock, didn’t train Yesterday, I doubt he will start

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #91 on July 11, 2021, 08:56:48 am by selby »
  At least we go into the game never having lost a final.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #92 on July 11, 2021, 09:19:06 am by normal rules »
The toughest game of the tournament IMO and it’s been left to the the final of course.
If they win, the country will go into meltdown. A very happy Monday.
If they lose, the country will go into meltdown. A very black Monday.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on July 11, 2021, 09:22:44 am by River Don »
A piece praising the FA?!

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2021/jul/10/fa-deserves-its-share-of-the-applause-for-englands-euro-2020-successes

Rightly so I think, over the last 25 years the FA has changed, under the direction of people like Trevor Brooking.

At the moment, I feel confident it won't be 50 odd years before England makes another final.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #94 on July 11, 2021, 09:25:04 am by Campsall rover »
Right I am off to Headdingley to watch something far more important.

Does no one realise the war of the Roses re commences today.
It hopefully will take my mind off what’s going on this eve.
Someone told me there is a game of footy.

Come on Yorkshire and COME ON ENGLAND. YES YES YES we can win this.  :woohoo:

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #95 on July 11, 2021, 11:16:23 am by tyke1962 »
I've got the family and next door coming over this afternoon for a barbecue weather permitting and we will all watch the game together .

Room and garden all trimmed up with England tackle and England shirts or equivalent are mandatory .

Just done in over £150 on drink .

Got to make days like this special because they don't come around too much , well in our case hardly ever .

That's compounded by everything we've gone through these last 18 months .

This could be an extraordinary day for the country with hopefully the right outcome .

Enjoy the occasion Rovers .

Let's bring it home .

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #96 on July 11, 2021, 11:32:18 am by SydneyRover »
Hope you and your guests have a great bbq Tyke, hope everyone has a great day to remember.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #97 on July 11, 2021, 12:36:33 pm by Filo »
As I said earlier in the thread, we need to utilise our pace and get at the CB’s that is the way to beat them, both great players but not blessed with pace, Rice and Phillips are key to doing that

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #98 on July 11, 2021, 01:05:24 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
There will be twists and turns that we can't even imagine. It's so unpredictable but I think much of the world will be fascinated with this contest.

I just really want and hope our players can really showcase what they're capable of and surprise everyone.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #99 on July 11, 2021, 02:01:52 pm by Janso »
I'd take the dullest game in history and the ball going in off John Stones' arse to win 1-0.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #100 on July 11, 2021, 03:48:35 pm by Filo »
Sky sports reporting we are going 3 at the back, Saka on bench and Trippier on the right

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #101 on July 11, 2021, 04:51:46 pm by selby »
I heard that Filo, then a reporter from the camp said the last training session was the same set up and team as against Denmark.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #102 on July 11, 2021, 05:01:09 pm by DonnyNoel »
The media "leaked" line ups so far this tournament have been fairly accurate. If we can hold the midfield then get pace at their back line that's our best chance. I know we're good from set plays but wouldn't expect much against the current Italian defence. I was expecting a change from the semi but more in personell than formation - I'd wondered if he'd start Grealish then unleash the pace later on.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #103 on July 11, 2021, 05:09:23 pm by idler »
I was going on 18 when we won the World Cup in 1966. I must have been the only Englishman who thought great another 30 minutes of this when Germany equalised.
I just knew that we would win it and had the beating of them. I don’t think that I could survive if the same happened tonight though.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #104 on July 11, 2021, 05:16:24 pm by DonnyNoel »
I was going on 18 when we won the World Cup in 1966. I must have been the only Englishman who thought great another 30 minutes of this when Germany equalised.
I just knew that we would win it and had the beating of them. I don’t think that I could survive if the same happened tonight though.

It's odd how you can get a feeling like that during games. I didn't bat an eyelid when we went to extra time vs Dagenham as I just knew we were going to win. On the flip side I spent most of the Thursday prior to the Leeds game thinking I couldn't go as Leeds were going to win and I couldn't face that.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #105 on July 11, 2021, 05:33:58 pm by normal rules »
My fear is England going down to some dark arts, which the Italians are past masters at. A well timed dive or two to fool the ref.
I certainly hope for once, that VAR could prevent/ detect this.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #106 on July 11, 2021, 05:45:38 pm by River Don »
My fear is it goes to penalties...

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #107 on July 11, 2021, 05:59:56 pm by sha66y »
No fear, no nerves, ….this is practically in the bag,

the Italian mood pretty much leans towards an England victory, Mancini is going through the stomach gripes and they are running out of bog roll in the Italian pre match lounge…

I said 2-0 but think that might be on the lower side of cautious…

Forget the stats and maths and prejudged histories….these kids just don’t remember the failures of the past….but they are creating a new history, …borne from a renewed desire to be part of their own history

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #108 on July 11, 2021, 06:06:18 pm by Wiltshire Exile »

Idler, I was 23 when we won the World Cup, and was lucky enough to be at at Wembley for this most memorable moment of my life! (Not counting the day that I got married of course!) I was lucky enough to see all the matches at Wembley as well as one, Uruguay v Mexico, at the White City Stadium. A book of 10 tickets cost me £15… I think!

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #109 on July 11, 2021, 06:10:35 pm by normal rules »
Sky sports reporting we are going 3 at the back, Saka on bench and Trippier on the right

3 at the back will be suicide against an attacking 5 of Italy. That’s what they do. Insigne and Chiesa  will pull the defence too wide leaving huge gaps for the likes of Immobile and Beradi to exploit. I’d be gobsmacked if Southgate takes this option.
England also have to be very careful, or very confident when it comes to playing from the back due to Italy’s high press.
Tactically, this is a fascinating game.
Walker and Shaw will have their work cut out for them dealing with Italy’s wingers who like to play very wide. Spinazzola missing is huge for Italy and could just give England the edge. Italy’s high press game will leave them exposed at the back at times for telling balls from Phillips but they have arguably the best centre halves in the tournament who play with their heads first and foremost.
Southgate has worked out that to do well in a tournament means not conceding goals. I can’t see that changing, but it will make for a very conservative, nervous game  I think, again. There won’t be many goals in this. Maybe just the single goal?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #110 on July 11, 2021, 06:18:23 pm by Filo »

3 at the back will be suicide against an attacking 5 of Italy. That’s what they do. Insigne and Chiesa  will pull the defence too wide leaving huge gaps for the likes of Immobile and Beradi to exploit. I’d be gobsmacked if Southgate takes this option.
England also have to be very careful, or very confident when it comes to playing from the back due to Italy’s high press.
Walker and Shaw will have their work cut out for them dealing with Italy’s wingers who like to play very wide. Spinazzola missing is huge for Italy and could just give England the edge. Italy’s high press game will leave them exposed at the back at times for telling balls from Phillips but they have arguably the best centre halves in the tournament who play with their heads first and foremost.
Southgate has worked out that to do well in a tournament means not conceding goals. I can’t see that changing, but it will make for a very conservative, nervous game  I think, again. There won’t be many goals in this. Maybe just the single goal?

Italy play 4 3 3, I can see the reasoning by playing 3 cb’s and wingbacks, to get control of the midfield, Phillips and Rice are crucial in our formation, one needs to sit in event of an Italy break

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #111 on July 11, 2021, 06:23:13 pm by River Don »

Idler, I was 23 when we won the World Cup, and was lucky enough to be at at Wembley for this most memorable moment of my life! (Not counting the day that I got married of course!) I was lucky enough to see all the matches at Wembley as well as one, Uruguay v Mexico, at the White City Stadium. A book of 10 tickets cost me £15… I think!

That's a helluva memory to have. I just hope to see England win an international tournament in my life time. It doesn't matter if it's only on TV.

I don't think I'll be able to enjoy this match. The really important ones are very often a kind of gentle torture.

I've got everything crossed already.

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #112 on July 11, 2021, 06:40:26 pm by Wiltshire Exile »

That's a helluva memory to have. I just hope to see England win an international tournament in my life time. It doesn't matter if it's only on TV.

I don't think I'll be able to enjoy this match. The really important ones are very often a kind of gentle torture.

I've got everything crossed already.

You’re right, River Don, 55 years later and I still feel very honoured to have been present at this most memorable of sporting occasions!

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #113 on July 11, 2021, 06:58:55 pm by RugbyRover »

Italy play 4 3 3, I can see the reasoning by playing 3 cb’s and wingbacks, to get control of the midfield, Phillips and Rice are crucial in our formation, one needs to sit in event of an Italy break

100% spot on.

But these two are our weak link. "Too slow" and "Pedestrian" are my nicknames for them. I think Italy are going to run rings round them.  :chair:

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #114 on July 11, 2021, 07:03:23 pm by NickDRFC »

Unless Mount plays deep, we’re taking a man out of the midfield so not sure how it helps us get control. And if he is deep, then we’re losing the press on Italy’s defence and leaving a lot on Sterling’s shoulders. I’m not convinced this is the right approach but I think the reasoning is to contain their wingers who like to drift inside more and also contain against any breaks from their full backs. Southgate’s not got a lot wrong this tournament so I trust he’ll get this one right as well.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #115 on July 11, 2021, 07:26:39 pm by normal rules »

But when Italy attack they drop into a defensive diamond 4 and 5 upfront stretched across the park. Shaw and trippier are going to cover some miles tonight to keep this tight.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #116 on July 11, 2021, 07:40:50 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Every time we’ve questioned the decisions Southgate makes it ends up been the right one so hope that continues.

I can see the benefits of 3 at the back if we were to leave it 3v3 they normally get joy from the full backs joining in high up and getting an overload it’ll be hard in theory with our wing backs.

We have to match them up in the middle I’ve no confidence in Rice/Phillips dealing with their 3 (as always hope I’m wrong)

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #117 on July 11, 2021, 07:45:56 pm by les@donr »
I think the game will be won in midfield. Italy's high pressing game will cause problems against England's defence and midfield and leaving Kane and Sterling isolated upfront with Chielini and Bonucci man marking them. Italy's fast pace and fast passing game will ultimately win the game for Italy. If Italy win it will be a great birthday present for me.

Hope it's a great game for both teams. For me this is the perfect final, Italy vs England. Thank you England for reaching the final, well done.

Forza l'Italia!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #118 on July 11, 2021, 07:57:54 pm by drfchound »
Here we go lads and lasses. Come on England, we can do this. 

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #119 on July 11, 2021, 08:03:18 pm by SydneyRover »
Here we go lads and lasses. Come on England, we can do this.

you're not wrong there 1-0

TinyPortal © 2005-2012