Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:54:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Gareth Southgate  (Read 10252 times)

dickos1

• VSC Member
Re: Gareth Southgate
« Reply #30 on July 12, 2021, 11:45:42 am by dickos1 »
I like how he hasn't fallen in to the trap of previous managers of "these are my best 11 players, I must get them on the pitch somehow" although then that leads to continuos clamour for a team containing Kane, Sterling, Foden , Sancho and Grealish.

I think overall there's an element of moving the ball too slowly but part of me thinks thats still a personnel issue among our team. We don't have (and have rarely had) a midfielder that keeps it ticking over like a Pirlo or Iniesta or Modric. I know those are once in a generation players usually but I still think it's one bit of our puzzle that's missing.
This team with Steven Gerrard in his prime (playing in his proper position) would be some team.

We need better than Rice and Phillips in there, although Rice had a decent game last night

Can’t agree with that
Those two have been magnificent, especially Phillips.
Without them we wouldn’t have been nowhere near as solid and wouldn’t have reached the final

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on July 12, 2021, 11:45:50 am by normal rules »
England won’t make the final in Qatar next year. Or Euro 2024 in Germany. Or in the World Cup in the America’s in 2026.
This year will be seen as the pinnacle of Southgate’s England stewardship.
Last night was as good as it gets.
The planets have aligned for England over recent weeks.
They won’t do that again for a long time.
Just my opinion and feeling based on the last 50 years.
Hope to be proved wrong of course. But let’s get real with this.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on July 12, 2021, 11:47:51 am by dickos1 »
The last World Cup we only just missed out in the final.
It’s a bit silly to say we won’t reach a final again,
The players we have are as good as anyone else in the world, this tournament has proven that

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on July 12, 2021, 11:48:45 am by Chris Black come back »
This group is very young and immature. Putting aside point about our being able to reach final outside of England, this group will not peak for another 1-2 tournaments. Lots of other teams at back end of cycle eg Germany and Croatia. I’d say best is yet to come. Qatar is going to be tough to handle though.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on July 12, 2021, 11:53:58 am by selby »
  It's a matter of trust by the manager, since Shackleton in the early fifty's each generation has had a player with magic moments who a manager is reluctant to trust, Worthington, Bowles, Hoddle, LeTissier, even Gazza  and now Grealish joins the list, what gets in their heads I cannot understand, if Best, Maradonna, and Messi had been English we would have found a reason not to play them on a regular basis.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on July 12, 2021, 12:00:03 pm by normal rules »
The players we have are as good as anyone else in the world, this tournament has proven that

Er,  if I recall England did not make the final. And on that note let’s talk about England’s progress in that competition.
Group stage. Win against a poor Tunisia followed by a similar game against Panama. Two easy games on paper. Then lose against Belgium in a game the press billed as a “good one to lose” as it set up an easier next game. (Sound familiar?)
Win against Columbia ((pens) then against Sweden before losing to Croatia in the semi. Couldn’t even beat Belgium to get third place.
In many ways, this has been a carbon copy tournament with the exception of getting to the final.
The current squad have been great. No doubt.
But it’s not enough.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on July 12, 2021, 12:01:19 pm by DonnyNoel »
This group is very young and immature. Putting aside point about our being able to reach final outside of England, this group will not peak for another 1-2 tournaments. Lots of other teams at back end of cycle eg Germany and Croatia. I’d say best is yet to come. Qatar is going to be tough to handle though.

The only fly in the ointment about the team still maturing IMO is Kane. Top striker coming into his peak years. If we say the younger players coming through will be bettwe in 4-6 years, will we have a striker up top as good as Kane is now?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on July 12, 2021, 12:04:57 pm by Filo »

Italy’s cycle was a quick turn around, failed to qualify for the last World Cup to European Champions

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on July 12, 2021, 12:09:27 pm by dickos1 »

Er,  if I recall England did not make the final. And on that note let’s talk about England’s progress in that competition.
Group stage. Win against a poor Tunisia followed by a similar game against Panama. Two easy games on paper. Then lose against Belgium in a game the press billed as a “good one to lose” as it set up an easier next game. (Sound familiar?)
Win against Columbia ((pens) then against Sweden before losing to Croatia in the semi. Couldn’t even beat Belgium to get third place.
In many ways, this has been a carbon copy tournament with the exception of getting to the final.
But it’s not enough.

Drives me mad when people keep going on about our “easy” routes in tournaments
No other supporters in the world would look at it in such a negative way.
Have a look at the teams Portugal played in the last euro to win it,
If donny got to the fa cup final would you care who they played.
The fact is in this tournament we’ve beaten
Croatia, the World Cup finalists who went on to draw with Spain
Czech Republic who Knocked out Holland
Germany
Denmark who were as good as anyone after rhe first two games and had the massive motivation,
And then we’ve lost on penalties in the final to a side who everyone has been raving about

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on July 12, 2021, 12:19:34 pm by normal rules »

But it’s not enough.

Drives me mad when people keep going on about our “easy” routes in tournaments
No other supporters in the world would look at it in such a negative way.
Have a look at the teams Portugal played in the last euro to win it,
If donny got to the fa cup final would you care who they played.
The fact is in this tournament we’ve beaten
Croatia, the World Cup finalists who went on to draw with Spain
Czech Republic who Knocked out Holland
Germany
Denmark who were as good as anyone after rhe first two games and had the massive motivation,
And then we’ve lost on penalties in the final to a side who everyone has been raving about

The game was lost last night the moment Italy equalised. The penalties were just the formal bit.
All the pundits, who have lived football all their life, Shearer, Ferdinand, Lampard stated England would never get a better chance to win the Euro than this time, because of the ways the games fell. Whilst no game is “easy” there are teams you want to avoid and teams you would rather play.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on July 12, 2021, 12:24:48 pm by normal rules »
And we have a certain World Cup qualifier to look forward to in Sep. When England travel to Euro surprise package Hungary.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on July 12, 2021, 12:28:06 pm by dickos1 »
Don’t talk daft,
After they equalised they stayed on top for another 10-15 mins but after that it was very even and in extra time we looked like the side who wanted to score, Italy looked happy for pens.
All the pundits said all that after Russia yet 3 years later we’ve done it again.
Of course there’s teams you’d rather play but it’s ridiculous to say that’s the only reason we got to the final in an attempt to diminish the achievement.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on July 12, 2021, 12:33:54 pm by normal rules »
I never said that’s the only reason England reached the final. I’ve applauded the team . They have done very well. Circumstances have been in their favour, to an extent, that is all I suggest. This does not happen very often. They have fallen at the last and second to last hurdle at the last two big outings.
I don’t see things changing next year.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on July 12, 2021, 12:57:54 pm by Campsall rover »
England won’t make the final in Qatar next year. Or Euro 2024 in Germany. Or in the World Cup in the America’s in 2026.
Let’s not bother turning up then. Sorry completely disagree with you. This is just the beginning of a special era for our National team.
We have a group of very talented young players who won’t be at their peak for another 3/4/5/6 years.
The next 2 World Cups and Euros could just possibly give us a serious opportunity to achieve what we all are hoping for.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on July 12, 2021, 01:21:58 pm by since-1969 »
Controversial but Is he as good a manager as the media would have us believe?
Personally I think he is too negative and sets his team's up not to lose rather than to win.
The only saves the Italian keeper had to make were the penalties.
Discuss.
If England had won , Southgate would have been lorded as given a master class of modern football . They lost IMO because he kept a settled side too long , and some players looked tired and leggy after the previous games where they’d given their all .  On paper England should have won comfortably . 

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on July 12, 2021, 01:31:02 pm by normal rules »
Let’s not bother turning up then. Sorry completely disagree with you. This is just the beginning of a special era for our National team.
We have a group of very talented young players who won’t be at their peak for another 3/4/5/6 years.
The next 2 World Cups and Euros could just possibly give us a serious opportunity to achieve what we all are hoping for.

Please don’t mistake my disdain and realism for apathy.
And please don’t apologise for having an opinion.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 01:35:08 pm by normal rules »

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on July 12, 2021, 01:53:39 pm by sha66y »

It really doesn’t matter how talented they are....if the manager doesn’t play you....you are just a spectator...... if we had won last night during the 90 mins. I Would be saying watch out World Cup, here we come!
However .....what I saw was a team that looked like a Mastiff on a short chain....big hill to climb methinks.... ill bet anyone on here or anywhere that we won’t reach the next major final.....£100 to McMillan trust if we do.......any takers ?

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on July 12, 2021, 01:57:18 pm by normal rules »
I’m very pleased that McMillan will benefit from your money. A very worthy cause indeed.
And they will.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on July 12, 2021, 02:00:33 pm by sha66y »
I’m very pleased that McMillan will benefit from your money. A very worthy cause indeed.
And they will.

So you think they will make the final.......?

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on July 12, 2021, 02:01:57 pm by normal rules »
And they will.

I misread your post. Apologies. No I most certainly don’t think they will. I hope they do of course. But it’s the hope that kills you.

So you think they will make the final.......?

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on July 12, 2021, 02:27:24 pm by The Beast »
Sorry but it is fact we’ll never have a better chance. Cups are lotteries unlike leagues, so on the law of averages we won’t get there for a long time. Although Italy were probably the team of the tournament they are very average. The Italian left back last night hardly features for Chelsea, the Chelsea first choice left back can’t get on the pitch for us. Their midfield was decent but we never had a proper go at their ancient defenders, no outstanding striker for them either, no standout player like del Piero, Baggio etc, probably on a par with a mid table Prem team and we were petrified of them most of the game. We have a 4 good defenders all in their prime, why did we have to wrap them up in cotton wool?

Donny Dub

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on July 12, 2021, 02:37:23 pm by Donny Dub »
I think Gareth had it all envisaged.  He was expecting to go to penalties and he’d decided how they would and who would take them well before this final was played.
I contrast his behaviour, at least what was apparent on tv, with that of Mancini.  Gareth was so unruffled but Mancini was furiously frustrated.  I imagine Gareth might have told his team to keep doing what you’re doing at half-time whereas Mancini will have ripped into his!   Leave out the knee bending and charity work publicity Gareth for the time being.  You can all have and do that after.  Kick their arses and drive them on you’re being far too nice and kind to them.  Oh, and have a plan B, you already have all the very best backup in the world and you’re all playing for England!

Donnyjim

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on July 12, 2021, 02:48:12 pm by Donnyjim »
Overall, he has done a good job and has moved the national side on in leaps and bounds in the last six years or so. I do feel that he has peaked though and as soon as I saw the starting line up yesterday I knew we were in for a difficult game. He sets his team up not to lose. It has worked in this tournament but will only take you so far. It is a good young side with plenty of potential. The missing piece of the jig saw is that attacking threat, which was missing particularly in the second half. He bought his subs on too late and hung the three young lads out to dry with the pens. He will probably be in charge for the World Cup which would take us to the semi’s at best.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on July 12, 2021, 02:59:49 pm by dickos1 »
Sorry but it is fact we’ll never have a better chance. Cups are lotteries unlike leagues, so on the law of averages we won’t get there for a long time. Although Italy were probably the team of the tournament they are very average. The Italian left back last night hardly features for Chelsea, the Chelsea first choice left back can’t get on the pitch for us. Their midfield was decent but we never had a proper go at their ancient defenders, no outstanding striker for them either, no standout player like del Piero, Baggio etc, probably on a par with a mid table Prem team and we were petrified of them most of the game. We have a 4 good defenders all in their prime, why did we have to wrap them up in cotton wool?

Well it’s not a fact is it!

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on July 12, 2021, 03:11:40 pm by ravenrover »
Winder if Gareth would have taken centre stage in the celebrations like Mancini did

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on July 12, 2021, 03:12:25 pm by Filo »
A good point made on twitter by Rob Staton

“ If Raheem Sterling wasn’t taking a penalty, why did Marcus Rashford come on for Kyle Walker and play the last three minutes at right back??”

keyser_soze

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on July 12, 2021, 03:30:54 pm by keyser_soze »
Don’t talk daft,
After they equalised they stayed on top for another 10-15 mins but after that it was very even and in extra time we looked like the side who wanted to score, Italy looked happy for pens.
All the pundits said all that after Russia yet 3 years later we’ve done it again.
Of course there’s teams you’d rather play but it’s ridiculous to say that’s the only reason we got to the final in an attempt to diminish the achievement.

If someone before the game had offered me 1-1 - into penalties and Pickford was going to save 2 of them - i would have taken it. Fantastic chance to win.

Making two subs defending a corner was a bold move that nearly backfired massively.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on July 12, 2021, 03:38:58 pm by Filo »
Don’t talk daft,

If someone before the game had offered me 1-1 - into penalties and Pickford was going to save 2 of them - i would have taken it. Fantastic chance to win.

Making two subs defending a corner was a bold move that nearly backfired massively.

It wasn’t bold, it was stupid, Southgate was panicking that he wouldn’t get his penalty takers on in time, as throughout the game he left it late to do something, his mindset needs to change to make us a more offensive unit

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on July 12, 2021, 03:47:04 pm by dickos1 »
A good point made on twitter by Rob Staton

“ If Raheem Sterling wasn’t taking a penalty, why did Marcus Rashford come on for Kyle Walker and play the last three minutes at right back??”

Not a good point really is it,
If the penalties go to sudden death then you’d much rather have Sterling taking one than Walker

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on July 12, 2021, 03:48:53 pm by dickos1 »
Don’t talk daft,

It wasn’t bold, it was stupid, Southgate was panicking that he wouldn’t get his penalty takers on in time, as throughout the game he left it late to do something, his mindset needs to change to make us a more offensive unit

We’ve had an offensive mindset for years and failed miserably while more solid teams have succeeded.
He’s got us to the final by being the most solid side in the tournament

TinyPortal © 2005-2012