Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:18:27 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Air quality project calls out for volunteers across Sheffield  (Read 675 times)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
''Like most big cities in the UK, Sheffield has been in breach of legal limits for air pollution for well over a decade, and has been ordered by the government to take steps to improve air quality''

"Air pollution is often described as the ‘invisible killer’, so a few months ago I had the idea to make it visible," Graham Turnbull of Clean Air Sheffield told Now Then''

"I've built a prototype at home of a series of colour changing light bulbs, each one connected over the internet to one of my air pollution sensors. They should be blue but if the sensors detect any PM2.5 in the air they change colour: green, yellow, red, purple as air pollution increases and international health limits are breached."

https://nowthenmagazine.com/articles/air-quality-project-calls-out-for-volunteers-across-sheffield?fbclid=IwAR1MPJmUX-jtzG6mruzJHLIgxOO924grW2vWm49uwrF3qCT7UbX6HhThzIg

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Thanks for sending that Sydney. Brilliant project and I've just signed up for it.

The air pollution problem is horrendous in North East Sheffield, where the M1 cuts over the Don Valley. Hence the permanent 60 mph limit there. An old colleague of mine lived there and his daughter had really bad asthma. I always try to make a point of keeping my speed down to 50 when I have to drive over there. A minute on the journey is sod all compared to the hidden effects of unnecessarily high pollution associated with higher speeds.

idler

• VSC Member
Re: Air quality project calls out for volunteers across Sheffield
« Reply #2 on July 11, 2021, 05:13:41 pm by idler »
I never knew that, I always thought that it was for cross winds or something.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on July 11, 2021, 05:46:24 pm by dknward2 »
Thanks for sending that Sydney. Brilliant project and I've just signed up for it.

The air pollution problem is horrendous in North East Sheffield, where the M1 cuts over the Don Valley. Hence the permanent 60 mph limit there. An old colleague of mine lived there and his daughter had really bad asthma. I always try to make a point of keeping my speed down to 50 when I have to drive over there. A minute on the journey is sod all compared to the hidden effects of unnecessarily high pollution associated with higher speeds.

Unfortunately that 60 limit is pointless as people slow for the camera and race up to 80 plus then slam on for the next camera

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on July 11, 2021, 05:49:29 pm by Filo »

Unfortunately that 60 limit is pointless as people slow for the camera and race up to 80 plus then slam on for the next camera

That wouldn’t work with average speed cameras

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on July 11, 2021, 08:13:26 pm by dknward2 »

That wouldn’t work with average speed cameras

Love when I see it happen with average speed cameras bet they get the fine though and think but I didn't speed pass the camera

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on July 12, 2021, 12:47:38 am by SydneyRover »

No problems bst, we protested a huge road tunnel project sucking money from public transport and clogging local roads as most people can't afford to use it. Having lost that that one the lessons we learned was the disastrous damage caused by the construction stage from 24 hour noise but especially pollution and then more from building over reclaim landfill. We formed a spin off community environmental monitoring group and joined the 'sensor community' and have installed around 50-60 monitors around the area. We hope to be able to support local communities and shape legislation.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member

A little annoying for those of us running on electric though, perhaps they should restrict these things to the type of car?

I do agree with it though, it's notable how much of a difference pollution makes to asthma sufferers and other health conditions.  Imagine if we took the health impact of pollution as seriously as covid how much better the world would be

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on July 14, 2021, 06:37:03 pm by rich1471 »
I'm currently working in Sheffield and most cars stick to the 60 mph signs , would say 10%carry on as normal

TinyPortal © 2005-2012