Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:44:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: 6 Trialists + Ed Williams start  (Read 7289 times)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
Re: 6 Trialists + Ed Williams start
« Reply #60 on July 18, 2021, 12:56:27 pm by RoversAlias »
Thanks for the well wishes folks, didn't mean to derail the thread. I'll be back to full health before long I'm sure!

Back on topic, you can't discount the younger pros as first team squad members. They are being paid a first team wage, and the likes of Jones and Horton must now be classed as first teamers having played plenty last season. Even if you discount Bottomley, Blythe, Hasani and Ravenhill for having hardly played at senior level, that is still 17 players plus 4 loanees to come.

What more do people want? Some on this forum must never, ever be happy with their pastime of watching football because nothing is ever good enough.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on July 18, 2021, 01:34:22 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Thanks for the well wishes folks, didn't mean to derail the thread. I'll be back to full health before long I'm sure!

Back on topic, you can't discount the younger pros as first team squad members. They are being paid a first team wage, and the likes of Jones and Horton must now be classed as first teamers having played plenty last season. Even if you discount Bottomley, Blythe, Hasani and Ravenhill for having hardly played at senior level, that is still 17 players plus 4 loanees to come.

What more do people want? Some on this forum must never, ever be happy with their pastime of watching football because nothing is ever good enough.

At certain point it has to happen in a young player's development that he is classed as a 'senior' player - for example Paul Green and Ricky Ravenhill were not always youth players and must have transitioned at some point. 

I have no hard and fast rule, - we rightly don't have contract information to judge based on salaries - but IMHO Jones, Greaves, Horton and maybe Seaman could possibly be classed as 'Senior'. Just my opinion.

All of Bottomley, Hasani, Blythe and Ravenhill are younger and were born in 2002, so maybe that is an indicator they maybe should still be seen as 'youth'? Mind you Alick would have been classed a senior first team regular aged 16, and Ian Snodin at not much older - there are always exceptions.

Best wishes for your recovery Alias.

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on July 18, 2021, 02:09:47 pm by mpc123 »
I make 13 from that list and that includes Smith (loanee)! Nowhere near a good enough squad depth for this league.

We have another loanee secured, who is a forward player, but with no prior league experience.

I’m finding it extremely difficult to equate the numbers we have against (what is supposed to be) a bigger budget than last season. And, we’re now having to ship players out before we can get anyone else in. Unbelievable, Jeff.

Does the budget need adjusting?

How the hell do you find it difficult, it is so easy.

An example would be

20 players on xx

18 players on more money each makes higher budget than last year.

It's just not difficult at all.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on July 18, 2021, 02:14:37 pm by since-1969 »
So we’ve a significant budget increase with high earners leaving yet we can’t get players in????? Yet again points to no rhyme or reason, quite clearly no increase and a desperate attempt to sell season tickets
Ferguson had the same dilemma when Andy Williams left had thought that freeing up his wages would increase his budget .., it didn’t and he left soon after .   

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #64 on July 18, 2021, 02:46:21 pm by mpc123 »
He needs a billion pounds to make a good team anyway

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on July 18, 2021, 02:59:04 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Ah, the annual let's go round in circles 'budget' thread before a balls been kicked in anger.

How entertaining. Not.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on July 18, 2021, 03:41:37 pm by steve@dcfd »
First I’m not having a go at the budget .
Secondly I’ve not discounted the young players in Jones is part of the 11/13 we have now.
We had Williams and 7 others last season we have the same now so that’s a fair comparison.
I’m not asking us to spend billions as someone wants to make their point.
I did say we may have spent more on some players.
I was just doing a comparison.
Some you softbskin people thought I was having dig at the board I wasn’t
I want Richie to succeed as manage here some don’t and would be happy to see him fail.
So get off your board protecting high horses at the moment we haven’t got enough players with 3 more loans after the second one tomorrow we will be in a better position.
Also let’s hope Greaves Horton and Hasani can come good for Richie they are in their third yeat of a professional contract.

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on July 18, 2021, 03:51:28 pm by mpc123 »
First I’m not having a go at the budget .
Secondly I’ve not discounted the young players in Jones is part of the 11/13 we have now.
We had Williams and 7 others last season we have the same now so that’s a fair comparison.
I’m not asking us to spend billions as someone wants to make their point.
I did say we may have spent more on some players.
I was just doing a comparison.
Some you softbskin people thought I was having dig at the board I wasn’t
I want Richie to succeed as manage here some don’t and would be happy to see him fail.
So get off your board protecting high horses at the moment we haven’t got enough players with 3 more loans after the second one tomorrow we will be in a better position.
Also let’s hope Greaves Horton and Hasani can come good for Richie they are in their third yeat of a professional contract.

Not protecting the board if I ever thought there was something wrong I would say, but we are so lucky.

I only reply to those things that don't make any sense at all.

Sorry if you thought I was, hopefully we all want rovers to succeed

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on July 18, 2021, 03:59:47 pm by dickos1 »
Not sure if I’ve missed something
But what’s the problem with the squad?
We’ve made some very good signings, wellens said on day one what he wanted and how many and we seem to be doing exactly what he said?
What’s the problem?

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #69 on July 18, 2021, 04:40:12 pm by mpc123 »
Exactly right

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on July 18, 2021, 05:11:13 pm by steve@dcfd »
There is no problem we just need need to sign couple more if Williams leaves that’s all I’ve been comparing

CantleyRed

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on July 18, 2021, 06:11:00 pm by CantleyRed »
We are an average League 1 team signing average League 1 players. No doubt we will finish in an average League 1 position. Most of my life we were in Division 4 so I'm just living the dream.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on July 18, 2021, 06:13:43 pm by Janso »
We’ve made some very good signings, wellens said on day one what he wanted and how many and we seem to be doing exactly what he said?
What’s the problem?

Some people seem to think we should have 22 players of first XI quality then Christ knows how many in reserve.

elmsallrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on July 18, 2021, 08:38:35 pm by elmsallrover »
How do people know we've signed good players... Nobody's seen them play yet

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on July 18, 2021, 08:43:12 pm by drfchound »

Just read about your hospital stay Adam.
Get well soon mate.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on July 18, 2021, 08:51:29 pm by Chris Black come back »
We are an average League 1 team signing average League 1 players. No doubt we will finish in an average League 1 position. Most of my life we were in Division 4 so I'm just living the dream.

I’d say the team is definitely able to challenge for the play offs. The squad is more mid table though. Still time for loan signings to come. They usually make the difference mind.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on July 18, 2021, 08:56:20 pm by steve@dcfd »
What’s the problem?

Some people seem to think we should have 22 players of first XI quality then Christ knows how many in reserve.
No, that’s what you have said to exaggerate your point against others common thing on this board. We didn’t have that last season so not expecting this season. Just a comparable squad which we started the season with.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 09:09:33 pm by steve@dcfd »

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on July 18, 2021, 09:02:46 pm by dickos1 »
I think the squad is better than last seasons already isn’t it?

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on July 18, 2021, 09:05:05 pm by Barmby Rover »
These next friendlies are almost a waste of time because of the self isolating rules, which the club are rightly following, RW is going to have to fill up with trialists who are not of any interest to him, just to fulfil the fixture. Friendlies have always been a bit pointless, this season they are even worse.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #79 on July 18, 2021, 09:09:31 pm by dickos1 »
They’re all back on Thursday I think

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on July 18, 2021, 09:12:17 pm by Campsall rover »
How do people know we've signed good players... Nobody's seen them play yet
Wellens has deliberately gone out and bought some not very good players.  :facepalm:

Crikey get a grip man.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on July 18, 2021, 09:20:06 pm by steve@dcfd »
We are short of 1 GK but we get a loan keeper we are no worse off.
The defence is close to last season maybe a utility defender. We only know when they play together.
The centre three we haven’t got a DM player we have only got three we had four last year if you count Gomes.
Front three We have 4 players now although 2 are injured it will be 5 tomorrow. Last season we started with 6 and Williams. So when we sign the three loanees we should be nearly there

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on July 18, 2021, 09:22:27 pm by drfchound »
The defence is close to last season maybe a utility defender. We only know when they play together.
The centre three we haven’t got a DM player we have only got three we had four last year if you count Gomes.
Front three We have 4 players now although 2 are injured it will be 5 tomorrow. Last season we started with 6 and Williams. So when we sign the three loanees we should be nearly there

Steve, did we have all those players three weeks before the season started though?

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #83 on July 18, 2021, 09:29:43 pm by mpc123 »

Yes your right the only thing that worries me is the cdm as it sounds like we can't afford a decent one of them but fingers crossed we can do something about it.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on July 18, 2021, 09:31:08 pm by roversdude »
Bugger got a ticket for Tuesday, still it’s a trip out

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on July 18, 2021, 09:41:54 pm by steve@dcfd »

Steve, did we have all those players three weeks before the season started though?
I did say before comparing when the season starts so I’m hoping we get the players before it starts. If you remember the only change to that was Tulloch got injured and we brought Sims in as a replacement

Danmckay456

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on July 18, 2021, 10:14:46 pm by Danmckay456 »
I’d argue the players we have brought in this season are better than the ones that have left also it’s better to have more permanent than the turnover which Rovers are looking at not repeating on such a big scale which we have seen for a few years now

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on July 18, 2021, 10:21:21 pm by RoversAlias »

I did say before comparing when the season starts so I’m hoping we get the players before it starts. If you remember the only change to that was Tulloch got injured and we brought Sims in as a replacement

We also signed Matt Smith at the end of the transfer window, well after the season started.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on July 18, 2021, 10:31:18 pm by wilts rover »
All the best Alias.

Don't worry about rushing out and getting your boots ready - I reckon we have the makings of a good squad so far even without you despite what some people are attempting to say.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on July 18, 2021, 10:31:57 pm by Chris Black come back »

We also signed Matt Smith at the end of the transfer window, well after the season started.

Mid-October. Two months after season started.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012