Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:50:45 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The Wakefield game  (Read 9123 times)

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
Re: The Wakefield game
« Reply #60 on July 20, 2021, 09:07:46 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
Ed Williams makes it 5.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on July 20, 2021, 09:14:03 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Barlow seems to have the knack of arriving in the right place at the right time!

Shayon Harrison is ex Wimbledon?

Yeah. Ex-Spurs youth too. Done alright abroad, hasn't really done much in England at senior level yet.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on July 20, 2021, 09:23:10 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
6-0.

Trialist 7th got the 6th.

Full time.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on July 20, 2021, 09:24:22 pm by scawsby steve »
6-0.

Trialist 7th got the 6th.

Full time.

Cameron Cresswell.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on July 20, 2021, 09:28:17 pm by the vicar »
Former Derby county player

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on July 20, 2021, 10:00:00 pm by Filo »
Another tap in?

Apparently

You have to be in there to score the tap in, a tap in is worth the same amount as a worldy

Christ you are keen on my posts today.
I am well aware of it Filo, I scored enough in my time.
I even said more or less the same as you did the other day when people were on about his tap ins at Rosso.
Maybe you didn’t read that.
I also said I hope we can sign someone to score twenty tap ins a season.
Time to get off that high horse now.

I never quoted your post, wind yer neck in

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on July 20, 2021, 10:02:45 pm by Jonathan »
According to Twitter Greaves had a proper dressing down off of Richie after his 1st half display.

I thought Greaves did okay. Ravenhill looks like he’s going to be a good player, too.

People are getting excited about Barlow… I’m really not sure. Can’t deny he seemingly has a knack of being in the right places, but you really do have to factor in the level of opposition. He didn’t stand out enough for me given the context. Shayon Harrison looked the brighter player but again what can you really read into playing against 11th tier opposition. I don’t honestly know what we learn from that game.

In something of a contradiction to the above, I was impressed with Louis Reed second half. He just had that look of a player levels above the others, again as you’d expect. But in Reed’s case it really showed. He took up good positions, always showed for the ball and used it well. I’m a bit perplexed by the idea that he’s here on trial but it’s unlikely that we’d offer a deal. I feel he could have the qualities that Wellens wants for the deep lying midfielder. We’ll see.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on July 20, 2021, 10:03:19 pm by drfchound »
Another tap in?

Apparently

You have to be in there to score the tap in, a tap in is worth the same amount as a worldy

Christ you are keen on my posts today.
I am well aware of it Filo, I scored enough in my time.
I even said more or less the same as you did the other day when people were on about his tap ins at Rosso.
Maybe you didn’t read that.
I also said I hope we can sign someone to score twenty tap ins a season.
Time to get off that high horse now.

I never quoted your post, wind yer neck in

Of course you didn’t

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on July 20, 2021, 10:08:00 pm by Jonathan »
Cukur looks a unit by the way. Could be an exciting one to watch this season.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on July 20, 2021, 10:10:41 pm by drfchound »
That’s good to hear Jonathan.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on July 20, 2021, 10:28:53 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Yes very weird to have a player on trial we don’t want to sign!

I’d like us to sign Reed but I get where Wellens is coming from he’s probably a bit too similar to the type of midfielder we’ve already got. Maybe it is on the cards and it’s just a ploy to make sure we get the best deal?

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on July 20, 2021, 10:32:37 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Probably not exactly the player Wellens wanted, as he wanted someone more athletic but Reed might be a quality signing and complete our midfield.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on July 20, 2021, 10:41:39 pm by Lesonthewest »
Decent workout I thought & more game time for Anderson. Even given the quality of the opposition we looked bright going forward,  improving on the Rossington game.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on July 20, 2021, 11:02:11 pm by the vicar »
And much much better than the Bradford game no doubt

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on July 20, 2021, 11:48:56 pm by Campsall rover »
Wakefield we’re far better than 11th tier though.
They will walk their league this season. Got 3/4 players of decent quality way above the level they are playing at.
They apparently have a wealthy owner who is ambitious.
I think they will be moving through the levels season on season and can see them possibly reaching National League North in consecutive seasons.

That was a really good work out for our lads tonight.
Very impressed with Ravenhill, Barlow and Curkor in particular.
Tommy Rowe although at left back was more a left winger on the night. As was Hasani at right back. Ben Close looks an accomplished player in midfield and will be a big asset to us this season.

Proper test on Friday coming up. The season is approaching fast so hope all the other players who are self isolating will all be available for the Newcastle match.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on July 21, 2021, 07:49:42 am by roversdude »
Really enjoyed last night, great set up. I agree Wakefield we’re much better than their position in the leagues would suggest.
Horton looked class as a centre half, Tommy Rowe and Ben Close looked comfortable.
Greaves may be in for a tough time, I don’t think he was doing what Richie wanted him to be doing. Ravenhill looks a good prospect but could somebody buy him a few burgers to bulk him up lol.
I get the feeling that RW is desperate for Barlow to prove himself, he was pretty anonymous in the first half yet bagged a couple of goals in the game - don’t know if he’s shy but Richie was telling him all through the first half to shout for the ball. The trialist who scored in the first half looked useful

jamesrover17

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on July 21, 2021, 08:50:59 am by jamesrover17 »
Louis Reed is another we should be looking at offering something to, not just COVID relief, I don't know how much is left in the budget but he could quite easily sit in a deep lying role spraying balls about

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on July 21, 2021, 08:55:13 am by the vicar »
We need players to go before anyone can com in.  So that looks like we are going to be short on numbers

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on July 21, 2021, 09:04:22 am by Chris Black come back »
Cukur looks a unit by the way. Could be an exciting one to watch this season.

Hope so, let’s not get carried away though. He’s 18 and hasn’t made a single senior appearance. It’s a big leap to the senior game as we have seen in recent seasons for lots of these young lads.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #79 on July 21, 2021, 09:17:18 am by selby »
  Some decent  trialists on view and a sprinkling of our own talent coming through, both keepers, not a lot to do but Bottomley made an excellent save second half and both played the ball out well to feet.
  Ravenhill did well and has energy and a bit of edge to his game, and Bobby Faulkner, a centre half not seventeen for a couple of weeks yet and from Norton and  never looked out of place at all and looked a good prospect.
  All the trialists looked to have pace to burn which is good to see  but things should be tempered knowing the standard of the opposition, although they looked a good standard and played the right way hard and fair.
  My view is the preseason has a good structured look to it, Rossington and Wakefield giving us a chance to see what youngsters and trialists have got, and stronger opposition to test where a side more compatible with who will play in league 1 games being extended by stronger opposition.
  Praise for the Wakefield/ Featherstone facilities which make places like Southend and Gillingham look terrible.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 09:20:12 am by selby »

Move DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on July 21, 2021, 11:38:54 am by Move DRFC »
I thought Barlow was bang average against Rosso too. Signing trialists who are totally unproven at any pro level just cos they have scored a few tap ins against pub teams is a very risky move.

We don't want another Ed Williams sitch.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #81 on July 21, 2021, 12:07:03 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Yes, but you know what will happen if we don't sign Barlow up!

Just as with Watters "Typical of our club to let his talent slip through our fingers. A natural goalscorer".

Edit. And if we do sign him up. "Cheap option"

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on July 21, 2021, 12:43:31 pm by EasyforDennis »
I thought Barlow was bang average against Rosso too. Signing trialists who are totally unproven at any pro level just cos they have scored a few tap ins against pub teams is a very risky move.

We don't want another Ed Williams sitch.

Whoever we sign is a risk though. Wasn't it a risk signing John Marquis? He wasn't exactly a prolific scorer before he came to us.
In life if you want to be successful you need to take risks.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on July 21, 2021, 12:55:23 pm by NickDRFC »
If he’s worth it, offer him a one year deal with an automatic extension triggered if he makes a certain number of appearances. That way if he makes an impression we tie him down, if he doesn’t we say goodbye at the end of the season without committing too much.

Piece of piss this football management lark.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on July 21, 2021, 12:59:08 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
If he’s worth it, offer him a one year deal with an automatic extension triggered if he makes a certain number of appearances. That way if he makes an impression we tie him down, if he doesn’t we say goodbye at the end of the season without committing too much.

Piece of piss this football management lark.

It is until you want to offer the same to three players but you can only have two!

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on July 21, 2021, 01:21:03 pm by DonnyOsmond »
As Filo said yesterday it's a talent being in the right position at the right time to score those tap ins, it's a talent that someone like Bogle lacks. Wellens has seen Barlow every day for nearly a month now so he'll have an idea of if he can cope or not.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on July 21, 2021, 01:32:35 pm by Campsall rover »
Barlow looks as though he lacks a bit of self belief. Very talented footballer but needs to be vocal on the pitch and ask for the ball.

He is definitely a player with considerable ability and knows where the goals are.
Walked off the pitch with head down as if he doesn’t have any belief in himself.
Noticed RW & NH looking at each other in amazement at Barlow’s body language.

If our management and coaching staff can get him to be more positive then we will have an extremely good league 1 footballer in our ranks.
I think it’s only a mental thing that stoped him still being in Stoke City’s squad.
Certainly nothing to do with ability imo.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #87 on July 21, 2021, 01:42:06 pm by Filo »
Barlow looks as though he lacks a bit of self belief. Very talented footballer but needs to be vocal on the pitch and ask for the ball.

He is definitely a player with considerable ability and knows where the goals are.
Walked off the pitch with head down as if he doesn’t have any belief in himself.
Noticed RW & NH looking at each other in amazement at Barlow’s body language.

If our management and coaching staff can get him to be more positive then we will have an extremely good league 1 footballer in our ranks.
I think it’s only a mental thing that stoped him still being in Stoke City’s squad.

Don’t we employ a certain Mr Coppinger for stuff like that?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on July 21, 2021, 01:42:11 pm by Campsall rover »
Just checked on Barlow on Wiki and he only had a trial at Stoke and also at Ipswich.

Ex Man U youth player and England U17 & 18 player.

I was misinformed last night he was at Stoke and released.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on July 21, 2021, 01:46:30 pm by Campsall rover »

Walked off the pitch with head down as if he doesn%u2019t have any belief in himself.
Noticed RW & NH looking at each other in amazement at Barlow%u2019s body language.

I think it%u2019s only a mental thing that stoped him still being in Stoke City%u2019s squad.

Don%u2019t we employ a certain Mr Coppinger for stuff like that?
Well yes he is. Mentoring so yes. All yours Copps get him sorted because I like him and he could become a major asset on the left of a front 3.

Him and Tommy Rowe down the left. Sounds good to me.

Reece James and JJ who are they!!!  :)  never heard of them.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012