Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:29:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The Wakefield game  (Read 9109 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Re: The Wakefield game
« Reply #90 on July 21, 2021, 01:59:36 pm by selby »
  I think some on here under estimate the ability of the coaching staff to assess the capabilities of young players coming in for trials with the club, and should not compare them with the staff we have had doing the job in the past.
  Not every one will come up trumps, but from what I have seen at Rossington and last night some of the trialists look a step up from some we have had in the past on trial, faster, fitter and hungrier than some in the recent past we signed on loan last season.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #91 on July 21, 2021, 02:24:41 pm by Alan Southstand »
Campsall:

Barlow looks as though he lacks a bit of self belief. Very talented footballer but needs to be vocal on the pitch and ask for the ball.

He is definitely a player with considerable ability and knows where the goals are.
Walked off the pitch with head down as if he doesn’t have any belief in himself.
Noticed RW & NH looking at each other in amazement at Barlow’s body language.

If our management and coaching staff can get him to be more positive then we will have an extremely good league 1 footballer in our ranks.
I think it’s only a mental thing that stoped him still being in Stoke City’s squad.
Certainly nothing to do with ability imo.

Interesting to read what Richie Wellens said about him last night, which was in stark contrast to his comments on Harrison. If there’s a toss up as to which one we sign (if any) then I think the ball is very much in the court of Shayon Harrison right now. However, there’s much better opposition to play against on Friday and it might be that neither of them shine!

The other imponderable, so far, seems to be Reed. Not exactly the DM Richie appears to be after, but he spoke in glowing terms about him last night.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #92 on July 21, 2021, 02:30:09 pm by graingrover »
It sounds as though Aidan Barlow would benefit from a few sessions with Coppinger to discuss positivity.

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #93 on July 21, 2021, 03:47:05 pm by bedale rover »
I thought Barlow was bang average against Rosso too. Signing trialists who are totally unproven at any pro level just cos they have scored a few tap ins against pub teams is a very risky move.

We don't want another Ed Williams sitch.

Whoever we sign is a risk though. Wasn't it a risk signing John Marquis? He wasn't exactly a prolific scorer before he came to us.
In life if you want to be successful you need to take risks.

Marquis had scored about 20 goals when on loan to Northampton in league 2
Had a decent scoring record but spent most of him loaned out from Millwall

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #94 on July 21, 2021, 04:50:11 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Wouldn't hold too much by Barlow been in the right place against teams so far below our level. Different storey against better teams where we have to defend more and work harder to get into crossing positions. Concerning the way Wellens talks about him.

Maybe worth a year contract to see how he develops but without a U23 team if he lacks self belief he'll struggle to take his chance in the team when it comes. Football is so much about confidence going onto the pitch without it is like playing with one boot.

For me if we're giving a trialist in that position a contract the other lads are a bit more inspiring

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #95 on July 21, 2021, 05:03:25 pm by donnievic »
I thought Barlow was bang average against Rosso too. Signing trialists who are totally unproven at any pro level just cos they have scored a few tap ins against pub teams is a very risky move.

Whoever we sign is a risk though. Wasn't it a risk signing John Marquis? He wasn't exactly a prolific scorer before he came to us.

he didn’t score anywhere near that for them he was just a target man as such for them millwall and didn’t really hit goal scoring form till he joined us

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #96 on July 21, 2021, 05:09:53 pm by RoversAlias »

John Marquis scored 6 goals in 15 games on loan at Northampton before joining us, and 2 goals in 14 games in an earlier loan spell for them. His best return in a season prior to Rovers was 8 goals in 21 games for Gillingham. He scored only 6 goals in 7 years for Millwall. He wasn't even signed by us as a goalscorer, he was supposed to be a physical foil for our main striker, Andy Williams.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #97 on July 21, 2021, 05:22:28 pm by roversdude »
Campsall agree with that, we were sat behind Richie last night and the amount of times he was telling him shout for it Aidey. I really think RW wants him but is not 100% on his self belief. I know it was hot but the lad walked off the pitch like we’d got stuffed.
I think we could end up with a real asset there but does need some work

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on July 21, 2021, 05:37:06 pm by EasyforDennis »

Marquis never scored more than 8 in a season before joining us.

jamesrover17

• Forum Member
« Reply #99 on July 21, 2021, 06:09:30 pm by jamesrover17 »
Going on what Hoden is reporting we won’t be offering any contracts as its stands, lets see if these triallists want to stick around to see if we do, rather worrying we can’t stretch the budget for an Ex youth player who has been out of the game for a season

elmsallrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #100 on July 21, 2021, 07:26:51 pm by elmsallrover »
Campsall agree with that, we were sat behind Richie last night and the amount of times he was telling him shout for it Aidey. I really think RW wants him but is not 100% on his self belief. I know it was hot but the lad walked off the pitch like we’d got stuffed.
I think we could end up with a real asset there but does need some work
was the same at rosso was behind the dugout wellens talking and shouting at him telling him what to do

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #101 on July 21, 2021, 07:29:16 pm by Retdon1 »
Going on what Hoden is reporting we won’t be offering any contracts as its stands, lets see if these triallists want to stick around to see if we do, rather worrying we can’t stretch the budget for an Ex youth player who has been out of the game for a season

No way we have blown the budget already. The squad is thread bare at best. Still need another 4-5 players minimum

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #102 on July 21, 2021, 07:53:44 pm by scawsby steve »

That's because he never played a full season on loan. If you look at the stats provided by Alias, you'll see that his scoring rate at Gillingham and Northampton was around 1 in 2.5 games.

Phenomenal form.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #103 on July 21, 2021, 07:58:39 pm by Jonathan »
Campsall:

Barlow looks as though he lacks a bit of self belief. Very talented footballer but needs to be vocal on the pitch and ask for the ball.

He is definitely a player with considerable ability and knows where the goals are.
Walked off the pitch with head down as if he doesn’t have any belief in himself.
Noticed RW & NH looking at each other in amazement at Barlow’s body language.

If our management and coaching staff can get him to be more positive then we will have an extremely good league 1 footballer in our ranks.
I think it’s only a mental thing that stoped him still being in Stoke City’s squad.
Certainly nothing to do with ability imo.

Interesting to read what Richie Wellens said about him last night, which was in stark contrast to his comments on Harrison. If there’s a toss up as to which one we sign (if any) then I think the ball is very much in the court of Shayon Harrison right now. However, there’s much better opposition to play against on Friday and it might be that neither of them shine!

The other imponderable, so far, seems to be Reed. Not exactly the DM Richie appears to be after, but he spoke in glowing terms about him last night.

Reed looks capable of offering what Wellens wants in that role to me. He looked mobile, physical enough to get a foot in, got around the pitch and moved the ball well. He has good experience at this level, is a good age and is here wanting to Ron a contract. I think it could be a big missed opportunity if we don’t offer one.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #104 on July 21, 2021, 07:59:56 pm by scawsby steve »
Having just watched the highlights, I noticed a black lad with a slight afro playing in midfield, who looked really impressive.

Shayon Harrison?

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #105 on July 21, 2021, 08:13:02 pm by EasyforDennis »

That's because he never played a full season on loan. If you look at the stats provided by Alias, you'll see that his scoring rate at Gillingham and Northampton was around 1 in 2.5 games.

Phenomenal form.

It appears that someone is being economical with the truth.
He played 29 games and scored 8 goals for Northampton.
For Gillingham it was 21 and 8.
Orient 13 and 0
And Cheltenham 13 and 1.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #106 on July 21, 2021, 08:21:28 pm by scawsby steve »

Phenomenal form.

It appears that someone is being economical with the truth.
He played 29 games and scored 8 goals for Northampton.
For Gillingham it was 21 and 8.
Orient 13 and 0
And Cheltenham 13 and 1.

I wasn't talking about his whole career, I was talking about the 2 high scoring spells he had at Gillingham and Northampton prior to joining us.

It's no surprise that he continued that kind of form with us.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #107 on July 21, 2021, 09:14:58 pm by roversdude »
Reed looked really useful, who was the other trialist in midfield in second half

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #108 on July 21, 2021, 09:17:59 pm by 5minstogo »
Reed looked really useful, who was the other trialist in midfield in second half

Charlie Colkett

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #109 on July 21, 2021, 09:25:42 pm by MachoMadness »
Having just watched the highlights, I noticed a black lad with a slight afro playing in midfield, who looked really impressive.

Shayon Harrison?
That's probably Jayden onen, former reading youth. Harrison is a forward.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #110 on July 21, 2021, 09:35:15 pm by roversdude »
Thanks 5mins

TinyPortal © 2005-2012