Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 03:48:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Channel crossing record beat.(again and again and again)  (Read 37261 times)

normal rules

• Forum Member
Re: Channel crossing record beat.(again)
« Reply #150 on September 07, 2021, 01:05:17 pm by normal rules »
Yesterday another busy day with around another 740 making use of the good weather to cross the channel. When will this end.the uk govt are going to give the french another 54million to help stop this.isn’t this a bit late ?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

normal rules

• Forum Member
Re: Channel crossing record beat.(again and again and again)
« Reply #151 on September 07, 2021, 01:07:53 pm by normal rules »
Given that we are out of Afghan now, I’d stick some troops on the french beaches .you would not need many to monitor the coast. And a quick reaction force to deal with any attempt sailings.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #152 on September 07, 2021, 02:33:56 pm by Axholme Lion »
Has Boris turned into Jeremy Corbyn, because as far as i can see he is doing f all about this. The Tories have become Labour lite and they wonder why people get driven into voting for more extreme parties who say will do something about things like this.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #153 on September 07, 2021, 03:24:18 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
I don’t think that there’s an awful lot that can be done about this. I listened to Farage the other day complaining about this and his solution was to tow the ships back to France! When it was pointed out to him that they’re under no obligation to take them he was stumped!

I’ve suspected for some time that the Government aren’t really that arsed about this. They try to sound like they’re going to take a tough stance but don’t actually do very much. Rich party donors don’t care about illegal immigration so why would the government? 

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #154 on September 07, 2021, 03:50:43 pm by drfchound »
So, if we can’t stop them setting off from France but can’t take them back when they either get here or are picked up in the Channel, what can be done.
Answers from those in the know please.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 06:30:23 pm by drfchound »

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #155 on September 07, 2021, 04:16:01 pm by Axholme Lion »
If the French aren't obliged to take them why should we? Tow them back to French waters, drain off their fuel and leave them there. Not our problem, job done.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #156 on September 07, 2021, 04:17:55 pm by Metalmicky »
So, if we can’t stop them setting off from Fr@nice but can’t take them back when they either get here or are picked up in the Channel, what can be done.

Not sure there is much we can do.  Were out of the EU and either way France isn't obliged to accept them back.  Across the EU in 2019, the rate of asylum applications averaged 14 per 10,000 residents.... in the UK, it was 5 per 10,000.  A possible solution that has been touted would be to allow would-be asylum seekers to apply for sanctuary before they arrive in Britain - perhaps at British embassies across the EU.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #157 on September 07, 2021, 04:54:27 pm by Axholme Lion »
So, if we can’t stop them setting off from Fr@nice but can’t take them back when they either get here or are picked up in the Channel, what can be done.

Not sure there is much we can do.  Were out of the EU and either way France isn't obliged to accept them back.  Across the EU in 2019, the rate of asylum applications averaged 14 per 10,000 residents.... in the UK, it was 5 per 10,000.  A possible solution that has been touted would be to allow would-be asylum seekers to apply for sanctuary before they arrive in Britain - perhaps at British embassies across the EU.

Can anyone give me a reason why we should take any at all? We can't afford to look after the world and his wife.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #158 on September 09, 2021, 09:05:55 am by normal rules »
News this morning that this forums fave mp, Priti Patel, has now stated uk boats may turn migrant  boats around mid channel, if safe to do so.
This will be interesting to see how this pans out.
Patience finally running out?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 09:25:42 am by normal rules »

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #159 on September 09, 2021, 09:41:21 am by Ldr »
Playing devils advocate a bit, what are they fleeing in France?

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #160 on September 09, 2021, 09:42:29 am by ravenrover »
Wait for the outrage when the 1st boat overturns whilst being turned back.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #161 on September 09, 2021, 10:02:38 am by tyke1962 »
Well according to maritime law they won't be returning to France unless of course it can be re-written which apparently would need  French approval which clearly isn't going to happen .

Simple solutions to complex problems and that's Farage and Patel out of the game it seems .

Or

Perhaps they know that already and are simply playing to the right wing audience .

There's a labour shortage after all and behind the scenes the government may well be the most enthusiastic cheer leaders of illegal migrants of them all .

They just tend to tell you different perhaps .

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #162 on September 09, 2021, 10:10:27 am by normal rules »
I’mguessing  the mid way post on the channel is the area where border force will patrol. While ever the migrants are in french waters, they can be turned back. Very difficult to police of course as I’m guessing the migrant boats are not fitted with gps tracking. Then there is the fuel range in the small outboard motors that these boats are fitted with. The french are complaining they have a 300 km range of coats to police. In reality it’s much less than that because these boats have a limited range and to attempt to cross the channel in its wider parts would be totally impossible .

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #163 on September 09, 2021, 10:11:46 am by SydneyRover »
How do the numbers of boat arrivals compare to those overstaying their visas?

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #164 on September 09, 2021, 10:16:30 am by normal rules »
It’s a good question. 1500 arrived so far this week alone across the channel though.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #165 on September 09, 2021, 10:27:01 am by SydneyRover »
How many visa overstayers have been prosecuted or businesses prosecuted for hiring them?

The government doesn't really give a shit they just want a culture war.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #166 on September 09, 2021, 11:05:56 am by wilts rover »
Sajid Javid, December 2018, the number of migrants crossing is a major incident and I am appointing a gold commader to deal with it

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46705128

Priti Patel, October 2019 - I will halve the number of channel crossings in 6 weekss:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7577511/Home-Secretary-Priti-Patel-says-HALVE-migrant-Channel-crossings-weeks.html

Ever felt you have been had?

Ah but Labour will let them all in.

Johnson, July 2019 - , there should be an amnesty for illegal migrants

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/news/video-1014078/Boris-supports-amnesty-illegal-immigrants.html

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #167 on September 09, 2021, 11:14:50 am by SydneyRover »
yep, that's the one wilts

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #168 on September 09, 2021, 11:15:49 am by Axholme Lion »
Playing devils advocate a bit, what are they fleeing in France?

To claim benefits here.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #169 on September 09, 2021, 12:08:35 pm by tyke1962 »
Sajid Javid, December 2018, the number of migrants crossing is a major incident and I am appointing a gold commader to deal with it

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46705128

Priti Patel, October 2019 - I will halve the number of channel crossings in 6 weekss:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7577511/Home-Secretary-Priti-Patel-says-HALVE-migrant-Channel-crossings-weeks.html

Ever felt you have been had?

Ah but Labour will let them all in.

Johnson, July 2019 - , there should be an amnesty for illegal migrants

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/news/video-1014078/Boris-supports-amnesty-illegal-immigrants.html

Well that's all well and good but for those wishing to see the Tories booted out of government and replaced by another one is a serious problem .

A supposedly right wing populist government that acts like a left wing one leaves it's opposition with absolutely no political space to cut through in .

Feckin hell this lot now raise taxes to fund social and health care which is just about the least Conservative thing you can do .

Little wonder Starmer hasn't any policies .

There the same ones as the Tories .

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #170 on September 09, 2021, 12:45:38 pm by ravenrover »
Love the comment from the French regarding the extra millions we are giving them to patrol their coastline
We didn't understand that it would be performance related

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #171 on September 09, 2021, 01:51:44 pm by Metalmicky »
Love the comment from the French regarding the extra millions we are giving them to patrol their coastline

For me the French have been about as incompetent in this as they are when fighting wars.  Broadly speaking, I am not against migrations, but I cannot see the benefit of funding the French to patrol their shoreline more, only to find out that the numbers attempting this dangerous crossing is actually increasing.   

If only to teach the cheese-eating surrender monkeys a lesson we should withdraw the payments and make sure we return every boat that departs their shores with migrants back to them...... or even better still - keep the boats, and return the migrants to them on P&O Ferries..... until they understand fully what the requirements are.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #172 on September 09, 2021, 02:30:59 pm by tyke1962 »

For me the French have been about as incompetent in this as they are when fighting wars.  Broadly speaking, I am not against migrations, but I cannot see the benefit of funding the French to patrol their shoreline more, only to find out that the numbers attempting this dangerous crossing is actually increasing.   

If only to teach the cheese-eating surrender monkeys a lesson we should withdraw the payments and make sure we return every boat that departs their shores with migrants back to them...... or even better still - keep the boats, and return the migrants to them on P&O Ferries..... until they understand fully what the requirements are.

Which is what a right wing authentic government probably would do .

Except for the small matter in reality we haven't really got one just one that portrays they are .

Both the Tories and Labour in centrist terms exist to protect capital above everything else .

Capital that since 1979 and the vast changes that were made require a huge amount of cheap labour for those with capital to keep their bank balances turning over .

At this moment in time due to Brexit and Covid there are huge shortages of said cheap labour and in some cases wages are climbing .

This most certainly will not do , the market isn't supposed to work this way and be sure as the nose on your face by hook or by crook it won't be allowed to continue .

Backdoor immigration will be the new show in town whilst Patel and co carry on being the fakes that they are .

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #173 on September 09, 2021, 02:40:52 pm by Metalmicky »

Which is what a right wing authentic government probably would do .

Except for the small matter in reality we haven't really got one just one that portrays they are .

Both the Tories and Labour in centrist terms exist to protect capital above everything else .

Capital that since 1979 and the vast changes that were made require a huge amount of cheap labour for those with capital to keep their bank balances turning over .

At this moment in time due to Brexit and Covid there are huge shortages of said cheap labour and in some cases wages are climbing .

This most certainly will not do , the market isn't supposed to work this way and be sure as the nose on your face by hook or by crook it won't be allowed to continue .

Backdoor immigration will be the new show in town whilst Patel and co carry on being the fakes that they are .

I don't disagree with any of that Tyke........ and I agree that it is chiefly gesture politics.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #174 on September 09, 2021, 04:59:09 pm by ravenrover »

If only to teach the cheese-eating surrender monkeys a lesson we should withdraw the payments and make sure we return every boat that departs their shores with migrants back to them...... or even better still - keep the boats, and return the migrants to them on [b]P&O Ferries[/b]..... until they understand fully what the requirements are.

Brittany Ferries surely?

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #175 on October 10, 2021, 01:44:27 pm by normal rules »
Forty small boats with 1,115 migrants on board have crossed the Channel in two days, the Home Office has said.
On Saturday, Border Force picked up 491 migrants on 17 boats, while the French authorities prevented 114 people from making the crossing.
On Friday 624 people crossed on 23 boats, with 300 more being stopped by the French authorities.
In September, more migrants crossed than in any other previous month since the crisis began.
Some 3,879 migrants made the crossing in September.
More than 18,000 people have made the crossing from France to England in small boats so far this year, compared to just over 8,460 in 2020, according to Home Office figures.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #176 on October 11, 2021, 03:12:46 pm by Axholme Lion »
Forty small boats with 1,115 migrants on board have crossed the Channel in two days, the Home Office has said.
On Saturday, Border Force picked up 491 migrants on 17 boats, while the French authorities prevented 114 people from making the crossing.
On Friday 624 people crossed on 23 boats, with 300 more being stopped by the French authorities.
In September, more migrants crossed than in any other previous month since the crisis began.
More than 18,000 people have made the crossing from France to England in small boats so far this year, compared to just over 8,460 in 2020, according to Home Office figures.

Apparently The Grand Hotel in Scarborough is rammed full of Afghans. Nice if you've booked a few days as a seaside break.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #177 on October 11, 2021, 04:24:28 pm by Sprotyrover »
They are proper refugees mate I for one do not have a problem with genuine ones, especially when they are here because of some fault of ours.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #178 on October 11, 2021, 04:32:10 pm by Herbert Anchovy »

Apparently The Grand Hotel in Scarborough is rammed full of Afghans. Nice if you've booked a few days as a seaside break.

There’s a hotel near me that’s also being used to house immigrants/refugees from a variety of African countries. From the people that I’ve seen they all seem to be young men under 40 who spend all day sitting around in the grounds of the hotel. I’ve seen quite a few of them in the bank so I guess they’re not illegally in the UK.

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #179 on October 12, 2021, 11:22:12 am by Not Now Kato »

There’s a hotel near me that’s also being used to house immigrants/refugees from a variety of African countries. From the people that I’ve seen they all seem to be young men under 40 who spend all day sitting around in the grounds of the hotel. I’ve seen quite a few of them in the bank so I guess they’re not illegally in the UK.

From your description, my guess would be that they are asylum seekers.  If that's the case then they are not allowed to work until they are either granted asylum or are rejected, (in which latter case they'd then be deported), so we have an international duty of care to accommodate and feed them and they have no option but to sit around and wait to be processed.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012