Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:03:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Newcastle friendly  (Read 6044 times)

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
Re: Newcastle friendly
« Reply #30 on July 23, 2021, 08:50:53 pm by Metalmicky »
Dan Crowley just come on as a trialist. Standard of some of the trialists we're bringing in is impressive. Just a shame the budget restrictions hinder us

Surprised he is available.....

He’s quality on the ball. Obviously has his limitations elsewhere hence scratching around at the level he is.

Just looked - he is only 23..... but has had a fair chunk of games at Championship and League One level

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on July 23, 2021, 09:04:18 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Hoden said before the match that Bostock is unavailable, rather than I'll or injury

We better not lose one of the league's most technically gifted players to a league rival (Sheff Weds) on a free transfer.

He's under contract...

I'm aware. What's your point? We can still "sell" our own contracted players for nothing...

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on July 23, 2021, 09:05:08 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Bostock might be the player with COVID so has a few more days isolation

Wouldn't that be classed as illness though?

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on July 23, 2021, 09:08:22 pm by River Don »

Might he be in self isolation?

Plenty are.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on July 23, 2021, 09:09:15 pm by mushRTID »
Some of those trialists are very impressive!

Was the right sided attacker Harrison? Looks absolutely class and played the full 90, Wellens surely wants him.

Was 3 In midfield Reed? Again we need to sign him!

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on July 23, 2021, 09:24:14 pm by Metalmicky »
Hoden said before the match that Bostock is unavailable, rather than I'll or injury

We better not lose one of the league's most technically gifted players to a league rival (Sheff Weds) on a free transfer.

He's under contract...

I'm aware. What's your point? We can still "sell" our own contracted players for nothing...

OK right, so we can still 'sell' our players for nothing......... alright.

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on July 23, 2021, 09:32:06 pm by glosterred »
From my point of view, that was a half decent performance against a good premier league side. We played at a decent pace which continued after all the changes we made a change. Matt Smith looked a decent loan signing, Tommy Rowe was good and looked better than when he was with us last.

All in all if we can play at that pace in league one, we’ll do all right.

COYR

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on July 23, 2021, 09:38:50 pm by jmt23 »
That was a great performance from all tonight!! a great header from Bogle too, to beat a big keeper from that distance.

That third goal was a mile offside, unfortunately the Lino was another two miles away??? nowhere near the play. They had no threat apart from that Saint Maxim who is an unbelievable player, and too good for them and unfortunately our level players. They probably did have another gear to go too, but we were not out played by any stretch.

I would be happy with that performance level through there season, although I felt we could have moved the ball faster at times.

If I was to pick a player out it would be Smith, he looks classy - but a few of them did. The lad that got crocked by Gayle ( cynical kick to the back of the legs!) was very good with the ball.

Arsenal Of The North

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on July 23, 2021, 09:46:50 pm by Arsenal Of The North »
Well that was enjoyable to be back, and some really good performances, I hope wellens has the pen ready for Reed to sign tonight. Apart from saint maximum, Reed was head and shoulders above the rest, but he also linked up amazingly with both smith and close.

Downsides, Jones had a couple of mistakes but made a good save late in the first half, knoyles I thought was poor, let’s hope it’s just a case of getting up to speed.

Tommy rowe was a great sight to see back, oozes class.

Thought some of the trialists did ok. Most didn’t have time to impose them selfs on a game that had died out by time they were brought on

Overall very pleased and please please please Ritchie ….. get Reed signed up!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 09:52:40 pm by Arsenal Of The North »

Chris the Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on July 23, 2021, 10:02:35 pm by Chris the Rover »
Agree with most of the above. Omar Bogle looks a different player - he was yards faster than he was last season. I thought Matt Smith was absolute quality and could prove to be a very astute signing. Most of all though, it was just so good to be back in the ground.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on July 23, 2021, 10:08:17 pm by Campsall rover »
Very very encouraging performance tonight against Premier league players.

We are still work in progress obviously but we have 9/10 quality players in our squad.
Add another 4 with the back up we have then I think we could surprise a lot of people this season.

Mention for Williams as no one else has. Quality defender pace to burn.

RW is building a proper team. Some real players in this team.
Welcome back Tommy Rowe.  Ben Close and Matt Smith proper midfielders who will compliment each other. Close keeps it simple, Smith lots of energy and sees a killer pass. Get the front 3 right and we are going places.

Lots to be very positive about.

Stop worrying about the budget. The board will back RW.  :that:

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on July 23, 2021, 10:39:57 pm by eastender »
1-3 but should have been given offside
No where near off side.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on July 23, 2021, 10:46:06 pm by RobTheRover »
What a fantastic evening. The score is irrelevant, it was just superb to be back and see old friends.

The fact Rovers played really well,, especially in the first half, was a bonus. Richie has them playing fast passing 1 and 2 touch football. If we play every match in the league like that we will shred a few teams to bits. Ben Close must be a nightmare to play against. He's absolutely everywhere. Matt Smith linked play like he was born to do it. Tommy Rowe was class (as always) and Reed just wants a pen putting in his hand.

All round, it was just brilliant to be back. Roll on Wednesday.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on July 23, 2021, 10:56:45 pm by the vicar »
Bostock not starting? A bit strange that, considering the praise that RW has given him lately.
he has a strain according to reports

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on July 23, 2021, 11:00:57 pm by Campsall rover »
Still got Taylor, Bostock and Okinheberhie to come back who haven’t kicked a ball yet.

Sign Reed and Barlow + 2 more and we have a proper squad.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on July 23, 2021, 11:04:54 pm by the vicar »

no it can be a cancelled contract by mutual consent

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on July 23, 2021, 11:13:50 pm by the vicar »
Well that was enjoyable to be back, and some really good performances, I hope wellens has the pen ready for Reed to sign tonight. Apart from saint maximum, Reed was head and shoulders above the rest, but he also linked up amazingly with both smith and close.

Downsides, Jones had a couple of mistakes but made a good save late in the first half, knoyles I thought was poor, let’s hope it’s just a case of getting up to speed.

Tommy rowe was a great sight to see back, oozes class.

Thought some of the trialists did ok. Most didn’t have time to impose them selfs on a game that had died out by time they were brought on

Overall very pleased and please please please Ritchie ….. get Reed signed up!
Tommy Rowe seems to be thinking a yard faster than the rest of the team

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on July 23, 2021, 11:16:24 pm by Pancho Regan »
0-2 now. F*ck me, this is going to be a cricket score.

Would you like to reconsider?

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on July 23, 2021, 11:26:59 pm by DonnyOsmond »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p09q9bpg

Bit on Bostock here. Will be back available middle of next week. Does sound as though he's the one who caught Covid.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on July 23, 2021, 11:31:56 pm by Alan Southstand »
A very enjoyable watch, but it has to be tempered with the fact that not all the players are ours.

YET!

:headbang:

TheFunk

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on July 23, 2021, 11:38:15 pm by TheFunk »
Well we're in for a treat this season. Yes we'll probably concede a lot of goals playing like that but the pace and movement was a joy to behold. I think I spent as much time at left back as Tommy Rowe. In fact after that I think we can give him player of the season now. He was that good. How bloody good is Saint Maximin by the way.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on July 23, 2021, 11:39:46 pm by Janso »
A very enjoyable watch, but it has to be tempered with the fact that not all the players are ours.

YET!

Every silver lining has a cloud, eh Alan?

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on July 23, 2021, 11:41:50 pm by Alan Southstand »
TR best player on the Rovers team, by a country mile!

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on July 23, 2021, 11:48:44 pm by dickos1 »

YET!

You can’t sign trialists before they’ve actually been on trial Alan.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on July 23, 2021, 11:52:44 pm by Jonathan »
If we don’t manage to offer a contract to Reed then we will lose him and that will be criminal. He’s got everything we’d surely want to play in that deep lying role.

Harrison looked decent again. Receives the ball well on the turn and carries a threat

I thought Charlie Colkett looked like he had some real class about him when he came on, shame he then got injured.

The diminutive number 16 (Dan Crowley?) looked like he can play.

There’d be some merit in any/ all of the above coming in, but Reed simply must be a priority.

As others have said, Close looks a class act, and Tommy Rowe was superb.

An enjoyable evening against a good Newcastle team. Some real hope to take away from the way we set up.

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on July 24, 2021, 01:15:49 am by eastender »
I don't think any of the 6 trialists did themselves any harm tonight  they all looked like that they could do a job for us, which i guess must go down to the new head of recruitment Graham Younger.
Having said that Jordi Hiwula and Tiago Cukur both looked well of the pace and will need a couple more weeks to get up to speed IMHO.
The early signs are good and i'm looking forward to Wednesday now , or is it United.

On Newcastle, Allan Saint-Maximin is wasted there , they are the very definition of a one man team on that showing.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on July 24, 2021, 02:08:58 am by Campsall rover »
So someone explain why RW is trialing so many players if he does not have the budget to sign any.
It is nonsense.
Just offered another a contract in Barlow. Can see Reed being offered one and then probably another 2 or 2 loans possibly.

If he had no budget then he would have played the younger lads tonight but none of them other than Horton and Greaves had any game time at all and those two both only got 20 mins or less.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 02:21:07 am by Campsall rover »

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on July 24, 2021, 07:27:40 am by RobTheRover »
So someone explain why RW is trialing so many players if he does not have the budget to sign any.
It is nonsense.
Just offered another a contract in Barlow. Can see Reed being offered one and then probably another 2 or 2 loans possibly.

If he had no budget then he would have played the younger lads tonight but none of them other than Horton and Greaves had any game time at all and those two both only got 20 mins or less.

Ah, the old poker strategy.  Have I got nothing or have I got more than you think?

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on July 24, 2021, 07:44:50 am by Alan Southstand »
Hasani had about 15 mins?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on July 24, 2021, 08:03:38 am by dickos1 »
Hasani had about 15 mins?

He got 3 mins

TinyPortal © 2005-2012