Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 07:51:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Budget transparency  (Read 5004 times)

keyser_soze

• Forum Member
Budget transparency
« on July 26, 2021, 10:18:36 am by keyser_soze »
I think the club (possibly Wellens in particular) have been very transparent this summer, more so than I ever remember.  Surely this is the kind of juggling that goes on at every football club at this time of the year, I certainly don't recall freely receiving discussion about financial penalties for loan players not playing, and more affordable loans coming in the closer we get to the season.

I do feel that Wellens has been very open to answering the questions asked at each stage, and although it has led to some gnashing of teeth in some quarters, it has been refreshing. Although I do take it all with a pinch of salt as I understand you never want to advertise you have money to burn!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 10:40:09 am by keyser_soze »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
Re: Budget transparency
« Reply #1 on July 26, 2021, 10:25:02 am by GazLaz »
I think the club (possibly Wellens in particular) have been very transparent this summer, more so than I ever remember.  Surely this is the kind of juggling that goes on at every football club at this time of the year, I certainly don't recall freely receiving discussion about financial penalties for players not playing, and more affordable loans coming in the closer we get to the season.

I do feel that Wellens has been very open to answering the questions asked at each stage, and although it has led to some gnashing of teeth in some quarters, it has been refreshing. Although I do take it all with a pinch of salt as I understand you never want to advertise you have money to burn!

I think it’s also a case of wanting everyone to know what to expect in regards potential achievement this season. It’s possible that we are working with a bottom half budget this season (ie 12 or more clubs with bigger ones!). We shouldn’t be expecting miracles. The days of the owners putting money in as a catalyst for success on the pitch are gone. It looks like money only goes in the plug gaps as a necessity now.

Redandwhite

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on July 26, 2021, 10:46:11 am by Redandwhite »
I think the club (possibly Wellens in particular) have been very transparent this summer, more so than I ever remember.  Surely this is the kind of juggling that goes on at every football club at this time of the year, I certainly don't recall freely receiving discussion about financial penalties for loan players not playing, and more affordable loans coming in the closer we get to the season.

Richies interviews are a breath of fresh air.
I think he gives tge best interviews I've EVER heard from a rovers manager .

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on July 26, 2021, 10:56:43 am by Alan Southstand »
Can I also recommend Tommy Rowe’s interview as well. Worth a listen.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on July 26, 2021, 11:02:41 am by pib »
Didn't GB make it clear at the time Wellens was appointed that this was a "recovery" year for the club after COVID and we can expect to get back to a basis that might see us compete for the playoffs the following year?

Redandwhite

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on July 26, 2021, 11:06:45 am by Redandwhite »
Didn't GB make it clear at the time Wellens was appointed that this was a "recovery" year for the club after COVID and we can expect to get back to a basis that might see us compete for the playoffs the following year?
Yes he did, and was quite clear to be fair .
This season a top half finish would be decent I think .

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on July 26, 2021, 11:10:00 am by silent majority »
We still have a budget that should see us in the top 10, we'll know for sure as soon as the rest of the clubs report to the EFL.

But what GB and RW are saying is don't expect to see the club transformation done in this one transfer window, it will take time and will involve further work at points in the future.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on July 26, 2021, 11:11:28 am by GazLaz »

Yes he did and that’s fair enough. Plenty of circumstances out of their control.

It’s also been the same for all teams. It wouldn’t surprise me if we really struggle, at least early in the season anyway.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on July 26, 2021, 11:16:51 am by vaya »

Yes he did and that’s fair enough. Plenty of circumstances out of their control.

It’s also been the same for all teams. It wouldn’t surprise me if we really struggle, at least early in the season anyway.

On the basis of sheer turnover of players, or for wider reasons?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on July 26, 2021, 11:17:08 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Yes  I think that's only fair and you can see it taking two or three windows to get where he really wants.

The signs are really positive so far and I think the vast majority of fans will give him that time.

It may not be how we start the season but how we finish that could be defining.

I remember SOD being very patient and waiting for the right time to get the players he wanted.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on July 26, 2021, 11:17:43 am by steve@dcfd »
It’s a pity that at the same time last year that GB didn’t make it clear that the budget and spending had been reduced under Covid. Therefore DM was backed to the money they had at that time.
DM never said anything about the budget or players which was his downfall. Richie has spelled it out what he can spend without giving every thing away, which may have caused gnashing   of teeth in certain areas as the OP says. He has been open to the supporters which is better.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on July 26, 2021, 11:17:52 am by Dutch Uncle »
We still have a budget that should see us in the top 10, we'll know for sure as soon as the rest of the clubs report to the EFL.

But what GB and RW are saying is don't expect to see the club transformation done in this one transfer window, it will take time and will involve further work at points in the future.

SM - might it be that RW has a budget for the season, and has at least mentally allocated a certain amount for now and some for January? In that case he might be faced with a choice of spending some of 'January's' budget now on a particularly bright prospect (e.g. Reed) versus saving for January when it will probably be clearer what he needs, especially if there have been injuries.

Just pure speculation but it might explain some of the apparently contradictory messages. Of course it might be that RW has no say in the now/January budget split. 

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on July 26, 2021, 11:24:51 am by silent majority »

SM - might it be that RW has a budget for the season, and has at least mentally allocated a certain amount for now and some for January? In that case he might be faced with a choice of spending some of 'January's' budget now on a particularly bright prospect (e.g. Reed) versus saving for January when it will probably be clearer what he needs, especially if there have been injuries.

Just pure speculation but it might explain some of the apparently contradictory messages. Of course it might be that RW has no say in the now/January budget split. 

The directors always retain some of the budget for the January window, so in that respect it will be out of RW's control. The idea is that we might be faced with various scenarios come Christmas, i.e. we've had injuries which need replacements, we're pushing for promotion and need to bolster that, or, God forbid, we're fighting relegation.

RW will have been given his budget for the start of the season, and GB will be directing him through that using his experience. But also RW will meet with the board and get the opportunity to discuss options with them, he can outline what he needs, how his thought processes work, and where his priorities are. If Reed figures in that then he'll get chance to explain.

That's the bit DM never got right!

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on July 26, 2021, 11:29:41 am by GazLaz »

- Potential hang over from the end of last season
- Losing the 10 days pre season due to Covid
- I foresee a potential goalkeeping issue
- Real lack of squad depth
- There are A LOT of teams currently in a better position squad wise than us.
- I don’t really see where the goals are going to come from.
- Fej and Taylor, two big players for us, have had no pre season and may not be fit for the first game.

Not all rosy I can tell you that.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on July 26, 2021, 11:31:51 am by GazLaz »

The directors always retain some of the budget for the January window, so in that respect it will be out of RW's control. The idea is that we might be faced with various scenarios come Christmas, i.e. we've had injuries which need replacements, we're pushing for promotion and need to bolster that, or, God forbid, we're fighting relegation.

RW will have been given his budget for the start of the season, and GB will be directing him through that using his experience. But also RW will meet with the board and get the opportunity to discuss options with them, he can outline what he needs, how his thought processes work, and where his priorities are. If Reed figures in that then he'll get chance to explain.

“We well draw Man U away in the FA cup. I’ve seen it in the tea leaves”.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on July 26, 2021, 11:35:30 am by Chris Black come back »
I think we are at present in a group financially and competitively that could finish anywhere from mid table to play offs. Would see our peers here as Oxford, MK Dons, Lincoln City, with us at the back of that pack. Problem is that the group containing the front runners is now huge - Rotherham, Ipswich, Sunderland, Charlton, Portsmouth, Wycombe, Bolton, Wigan, Wednesday.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on July 26, 2021, 11:42:29 am by GazLaz »
I think we are at present in a group financially and competitively that could finish anywhere from mid table to play offs. Would see our peers here as Oxford, MK Dons, Lincoln City, with us at the back of that pack. Problem is that the group containing the front runners is now huge - Rotherham, Ipswich, Sunderland, Charlton, Portsmouth, Wycombe, Bolton, Wigan, Wednesday.

We are miles behind MK and Oxford I can assure you of that.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on July 26, 2021, 11:44:32 am by vaya »

- Fej and Taylor, two big players for us, have had no pre season and may not be fit for the first game.

On the first point I'd hope that the change in personel and management would mitagate against that happening to a large extent. I think the rest are pretty much valid as to where we're at currently as well.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on July 26, 2021, 11:48:24 am by GazLaz »

On the first point I'd hope that the change in personel and management would mitagate against that happening to a large extent. I think the rest are pretty much valid as to where we're at currently as well.

I really hope so but it doesn’t always end up being the case.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on July 26, 2021, 12:01:10 pm by Dutch Uncle »

Very many thanks SM, that is very good and interesting information. Even more confirmation we are in good hands and with good processes in place.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on July 26, 2021, 12:42:34 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

So glad footballs played on the pitch. Quite happy to be underdogs to that lot and I'm sure Richie will relish those challenges too!

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on July 26, 2021, 04:27:09 pm by Campsall rover »

In what way are we miles behind?  Squad numbers or quality of the players or both?

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on July 26, 2021, 04:34:53 pm by sha66y »

In what way are we miles behind?  Squad numbers or quality of the players or both?

It’s only an opinion, and the players we have may be better than the players any of them teams have on the day we meet them….it’s football, it’s a new season, and anything can and will happen,

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on July 26, 2021, 04:46:00 pm by Campsall rover »
I think we have a very good starting team. Yes still short of possibly 3 bodies but when we get them we will be very competitive.

Just because Sunderland, Wednesday, Ipswich, Charlton, Portsmouth are ex Premier league clubs does not mean they will all or any of them in fact definitely finish above us.

Having said that I would expect 3 of those clubs to this season.
Also expect Blackpool and MK Dons to have good seasons along with Rotherham and Lincoln.
Such a good league this season.
I do think RW will get his team to surprise a few people and bookies though.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 04:58:41 pm by Campsall rover »

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on July 26, 2021, 04:54:04 pm by NickDRFC »
I think we have a very good starting team. Yes still short of possibly 3 bodies but when we get them we will be very competitive.

Just because Sunderland, Wednesday, Ipswich, Charlton, Portsmouth are ex Premier league clubs doe not mean they will all or any of them in fact definitely finish above us.

Also expect Blackpool and MK Dons to have good seasons along with Rotherham and Lincoln.

I’m expecting Blackpool to finish much closer to the bottom than the top of the table…

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on July 26, 2021, 04:57:52 pm by Campsall rover »

Just because Sunderland, Wednesday, Ipswich, Charlton, Portsmouth are ex Premier league clubs doe not mean they will all or any of them in fact definitely finish above us.

I’m expecting Blackpool to finish much closer to the bottom than the top of the table…
Really. Now that surprises me.
Last season Nick I said exactly that and how wrong was i. 

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on July 26, 2021, 04:58:43 pm by Wild Rover »
Why Blackpool?. Not in our league this season. Unless you mean in their league.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on July 26, 2021, 05:04:10 pm by Campsall rover »
Well spotted today’s deliberate mistake. You win the prize WR.  :facepalm:

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on July 26, 2021, 05:24:07 pm by steve@dcfd »

Gaz what have MKDons and Oxford so far in the transfer market to be miles in front of us they weren’t last season.

I believe our defence will be on par as last season our midfield is still being strengthened we haven’t got a Whiteman replacement but the rest are as good if not better. The front three is the unknown but it was only slightly better last season but it could be on par.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on July 26, 2021, 05:35:02 pm by NickDRFC »
Well spotted today’s deliberate mistake. You win the prize WR.  :facepalm:

Surely I should win that prize haha!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012