Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:01:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The Great Escape  (Read 29286 times)

roversdude

• VSC Member
Re: The Great Escape
« Reply #360 on April 12, 2022, 01:27:45 pm by roversdude »
I don’t think we would have done anything with fourteen men on the pitch, in the last game against them.
It makes no sense to predict for us to beat them. It’s just a feeling I have that we will. It could be an infection though
I thought we were the better team for the first 20-30 minutes.
A bad first goal and then a ridiculous sending off then made it a very uneven contest.
Yeah if I remember they were going through a bit of a sticky patch at the time & looked very nervous until the first goal went in. Then Olowu got the red that should have only been a yellow at best and the contest was over!
And Jon Taylor missed the easiest chance I’ve ever seen at 0-0 11v11 when we were on top. Another one to add to the ‘what could have been’ this year.

Wow forgot all about Taylor even playing in that game never mind the miss.
One of the few times I’ve left a game early - went as soon as the third went in to get out of the car park

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #361 on April 13, 2022, 11:20:20 am by EasyforDennis »
I can't understand all the fuss about Taylor. He is fast but that's about all.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #362 on April 13, 2022, 11:25:17 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Problem is he runs out of pitch. Pace and a brain help a lot.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #363 on April 14, 2022, 11:49:14 am by Colemans Left Hook »
just seen on Monday we have Gillingham v Fleetwood

assuming we don't lose -- i am not sure what we want the outcome to be

anyone got any ideas ?

if  option (A) we beat Bolton

option(B) we draw

option (C.)  :suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #364 on April 14, 2022, 02:11:47 pm by Campsall rover »
If we win our games which is imperative then a draw it would have to be Gillingham v Fleetwood

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #365 on April 14, 2022, 02:19:17 pm by Campsall rover »
It is Morecambe that has caused us an even bigger problem now.
Spanner in the works winning 2 games.

We need a miracle really. But it is not impossible. Our 4 games are against teams with only pride to play for assuming Oxford don’t win the next 3 games.

Pride can be dangerous though and there is no pressure on them so they can just go out and play without fear.
All the pressure is on us.

Bolton 2-1
Shrewsbury 2-1
Burton 3-1
Oxford 2-2

Well we can dream can’t we. Will 43 points be enough?  It might just but goal difference could send us down.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 04:08:56 pm by Campsall rover »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #366 on April 14, 2022, 02:24:27 pm by Campsall rover »
Just realised I have lost my marbles
That’s 9 goals in 4 games

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #367 on April 14, 2022, 06:44:45 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
I think the sides around us will lose, just we need to do our job and get a result.

Frankie Rennie

• Forum Member
« Reply #368 on April 14, 2022, 07:10:38 pm by Frankie Rennie »
just seen on Monday we have Gillingham v Fleetwood

assuming we don't lose -- i am not sure what we want the outcome to be

anyone got any ideas ?

if  option (A) we beat Bolton

option(B) we draw

option (C.)  :suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

You want Gilingham to beat Fleetwood because we have Fleetwood to play at the UniBol and we have scores to settle with them, plus Fleetwood have a game in hand on you. Just win your own games, you can’t do any more than that.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #369 on April 14, 2022, 08:04:55 pm by Barmby Rover »
It is Morecambe that has caused us an even bigger problem now.
Spanner in the works winning 2 games.

We need a miracle really. But it is not impossible. Our 4 games are against teams with only pride to play for assuming Oxford don’t win the next 3 games.

Dream on, tomorrow will burst that bubble.

Pride can be dangerous though and there is no pressure on them so they can just go out and play without fear.
All the pressure is on us.

Bolton 2-1
Shrewsbury 2-1
Burton 3-1
Oxford 2-2

Well we can dream can’t we. Will 43 points be enough?  It might just but goal difference could send us down.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #370 on April 15, 2022, 05:00:19 pm by DonnyOsmond »
That's it, were down.

The performances over the last couple of weeks have improved though, we've gone from hoof ball and unable to score or create chances to actually playing football and having opportunities and as long as this is how we go into next season in League Two I'm happy McSheffrey giving it a go. What I've seen today where we need to improve on was we get the ball around the box and we just piss about passing it back and forth, most of these lads lack the balls to make that final killer ball or to run at the goal, past a man. That is what needs addressing in the summer, we need 2-3 like Martin with creativity.

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #371 on April 15, 2022, 05:03:31 pm by andyst79 »
Need to build a team around Clayton. Would love for Bostock to partner him in middle of park but can't see it in L2

Pside

• Forum Member
« Reply #372 on April 15, 2022, 05:06:22 pm by Pside »
Mcsheffery might have started playing more attacking football and less hoof ball but we can’t go with him next season. His tactics and game management are appalling. Let him see the season out and rebuild right from the top. I also think the head of football needs to be someone that has nothing to do with this club. We need a fresh pair of eyes a fresh set of ideas if we’re ever to get out of this 2 year slump

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #373 on April 15, 2022, 05:10:31 pm by Chris Black come back »
Despite the improvement at times today, it’s in some ways a relief that we are now relegated. This season has disgusted me. I feel nauseous watching us play. It is a side absolutely knee deep in failure and spinelessness.

At every opportunity to do something, they have failed. Getting paperwork sorted for transfers. Failed. Getting players fit. Failed. Protecting leads. Failed. Demonstrating any kind of backbone. Failed.

This is not all on McSheffrey as it goes back 18 months now but this is a team that absolutely reeks of failure. We need to offload as many players as possible including some of the better performers this season and try somehow to get rid of this stench of failure and acceptance of losing. 

It’s been an absolute embarrassment this season and given the state of the club and the finances, I have this down relatively as worse than 1997/98.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #374 on April 15, 2022, 05:17:13 pm by scawsby steve »
Despite the improvement at times today, it’s in some ways a relief that we are now relegated. This season has disgusted me. I feel nauseous watching us play. It is a side absolutely knee deep in failure and spinelessness.

At every opportunity to do something, they have failed. Getting paperwork sorted for transfers. Failed. Getting players fit. Failed. Protecting leads. Failed. Demonstrating any kind of backbone. Failed.

This is not all on McSheffrey as it goes back 18 months now but this is a team that absolutely reeks of failure. We need to offload as many players as possible including some of the better performers this season and try somehow to get rid of this stench of failure and acceptance of losing. 

It’s been an absolute embarrassment this season and given the state of the club and the finances, I have this down relatively as worse than 1997/98.

Excellent post, CBCB.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #375 on April 15, 2022, 05:19:36 pm by drfchound »

Excellent post, CBCB.

Coreect SS, we are a wreck right now.

Frankie Rennie

• Forum Member
« Reply #376 on April 15, 2022, 05:21:33 pm by Frankie Rennie »

Wow, really Chris? As an outside observer I would have to disagree. I thought your organisation was spot on and the only thing missing was a goal scorer. You created some really good chances but just fluffed the lines at the last minute. Surely you can’t blame GM for that? If you can keep the nucleus of that team together next year but add a decent striker you’ll easily get back up, even if the worst does happen. But it hasn’t yet and whilst I can understand your dejection, you’re not down yet and if you play like you did today and get that bit of luck in front of goal, you can still do it. If you can get to the last day we play Fleetwood at the UniBol and we’ll all be well up for that one and would love to send the Cod army down, so keep chin up, the proverbial fat lady hasn’t sung for Donny yet. Keep believing.

swintonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #377 on April 15, 2022, 05:22:50 pm by swintonrover »
With the best will in the world Frank, that's the best we've played all season, you were on the beach, and you still beat us.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #378 on April 15, 2022, 05:24:05 pm by DonnyOsmond »

Funnily enough it wasn't long ago we were moaning about always signing players on one year contracts, now what we'd give to have some of these players we have now expiring their one year contracts in a few weeks, not still having another year to go.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #379 on April 15, 2022, 05:25:44 pm by scawsby steve »
With the best will in the world Frank, that's the best we've played all season, you were on the beach, and you still beat us.

Absof*ckinglutely.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #380 on April 15, 2022, 05:32:09 pm by since-1969 »
Unlikely as survival is, I think the players should come out to The Great Escape tune from now until the end of the season, a reminder that it’s still on, and a galvanising tune
It was no the cards from the off !!

https://www.intotheemptynet.com/amp/are-doncaster-rovers-sleepwalking-into-league-two

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #381 on April 15, 2022, 05:33:32 pm by drfchound »
Unlikely as survival is, I think the players should come out to The Great Escape tune from now until the end of the season, a reminder that it’s still on, and a galvanising tune
It was no the cards from the off !!

https://www.intotheemptynet.com/amp/are-doncaster-rovers-sleepwalking-into-league-two

That was a very perceptive piece by Rovers Alias.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #382 on April 15, 2022, 05:41:42 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
The board need to realise that this will not change with this manager. You can get all your head of football’s that you want, it won’t make a difference.
From having plenty of opportunities to stay up, we are now in the position that relegation is all but confirmed. We would need to win all three games  and Gillingham  in all three. Or at least don’t win again.

The time has come to sack this manager. Start the rebuild and get some optimism now. If need be let Coppinger have it for the last three games. It would be better if they had a new manager in mind, but I would doubt it.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2022, 05:47:34 pm by Sammy Chung was King »

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #383 on April 15, 2022, 05:55:38 pm by since-1969 »
The board need to realise that this will not change with this manager. You can get all your head of football’s that you want, it won’t make a difference.
From having plenty of opportunities to stay up, we are now in the position that relegation is all but confirmed. We would need to win all three games  and Gillingham  in all three.

The time has come to sack this manager. Start the rebuild and get some optimism now. If need be let Coppinger have it for the last three games. It would be better if they had a new manager in mind, but I would doubt it.
The end of the season can’t come to soon now . We should  count  our blessings that we could drop down a league and reassess as mistakes like this in L2 will be even harder to take  .

Frankie Rennie

• Forum Member
« Reply #384 on April 15, 2022, 06:15:38 pm by Frankie Rennie »

Fair enough Swinton, I can only go on what I saw today and when we played you at our place and I thought you were much better today. Maybe I’m not seeing it , you can’t all be wrong, you have it every week. I’m sure this would go against the grain but I’d actually stick with GM, let him have a summer a full squad of his own and see what happens. Change doesn’t always work out and I’m sure GM sees the weaknesses just as much as you do. Anyway, none of my business but if you do go down, I hope whoever’s in charge can get you back up next year because you’re far better than a L2 club.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #385 on April 15, 2022, 06:49:27 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
Thanks for your kind words, Frankie. Hope you enjoyed the day.

Silkscarf

• Forum Member
« Reply #386 on April 15, 2022, 10:44:49 pm by Silkscarf »
Anyway, back on topic: we're not down yet. OK it looks highly unlikely but it's still theoretically possible to stay up.

3 wins = 42 points. We stay up at the expense of Gills who draw with Fleetwood and lose against Pompey and Rovrum.

Any other fantasy ways we can stay up? Or is that the main route given the fixtures left?

« Last Edit: April 15, 2022, 10:49:29 pm by Silkscarf »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #387 on April 16, 2022, 08:29:43 am by Campsall rover »
Anyway, back on topic: we're not down yet. OK it looks highly unlikely but it's still theoretically possible to stay up.

3 wins = 42 points. We stay up at the expense of Gills who draw with Fleetwood and lose against Pompey and Rovrum.

Any other fantasy ways we can stay up? Or is that the main route given the fixtures left?
I think you are taking hope to the extreme. Think Gillingham will beat Fleetwood.

We blew it being totally useless in the 2nd half at Morecambe and at Fleetwood.

But of course over 43 games we simply have not been good enough.  Even with our poor defensive record if we had a goalscorer we would not be going down.

Cole Stockton has been the difference for Morecambe. Without him they would be in the bottom 2 in this league.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #388 on April 16, 2022, 08:34:55 am by normal rules »

It’s time to give up on the hope pal.
You’ll feel a lot better for it.
Stop prolonging the pain.
It was over long ago in many ways. I’ve clung on, but finally  let go yesterday.
It’s cathartic.

Now looking on to next season with trips to Bradford, Hartlepool, Salford, Harrogate,
Leyton orient etc.
And will our old foes Oldham survive the drop?
No Scunthorpe sadly. (Although some will celebrate their demise it would have been a good home payday)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #389 on May 17, 2022, 06:32:59 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

For what it's worth after the latest results

17th 55, 53, 50, 51 51, 52, 52, 52
18th 49, 53, 50, 48, 47, 50, 51, 50
19th 45, 46, 48, 42, 46, 44, 42, 43
20th 43, 43, 43, 40, 38, 38, 38, 41
++++++++++++++++++++
21st 40, 41, 42, 39, 38, 37, 38, 41
22nd 39,40, 41, 39, 38, 37, 38, 37
23rd 36, 38, 40, 38, 37, 37, 37, 37
24th 30, 27, 33, 28, 28. 27, 27, 26

For the record, our form over the last 10 games. while poor has been the second best of the bottom 6. we have won 11 points and only Gillingham  with 12 have done better.
Crewe have 3
Wimbledon 4
Morecambe 8
Fleetwood 6.

So we have improved, relative to the dross around us, but we were starting from so far back that it still looks like being too little, too late. Looks like we'll need 8-9 points from the final 3 games to have any reasonable chance.

Just looking at how these predictions panned out. Pretty well as it happens.

The first prediction was made three months from the end of the season, with 16-17 matches still to go. The predictions that day were correct to within +/-3 points for every position in the bottom 8, and within +/-1 point for 5 of the bottom 8. From that point on, there were 64 predictions made (8 positions, 8 predictions). More than half of those were within 1 point of the final points gained by the team that ended up in that position. 94% were within 3 points either side.

No idea why it seems to work, but I've been saying for years that someone at the club should be looking at analysis like this to get a handle on what the likely end of season target should be, instead of relying on guesswork.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 06:37:12 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012