Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:07:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Final league position prediction  (Read 5390 times)

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
Re: Final league position prediction
« Reply #30 on July 27, 2021, 12:20:25 am by Bailey Vickerage »
Heart says top 6 but I’d be more than happy with a top half finish this season with how many other teams have done really good business and it is a rebuild season for us.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on July 27, 2021, 04:59:08 am by aidanstu »
Sorry and I really hope I’m wrong but based on the current squad and understandable lack of budget I’m going for bottom 3; I hope I’m wrong.

We are coming back off of some horrific form and as yet we don’t have the players for the system Richie wants to play, LJ doesn’t look or think as a number 1; we have absolutely no strength in depth,  we have had no really pre/season and are miles behind where we need to be because of this and the much needed rebuilding of the squad.

My view might change depending on who we bring in and I’m not knocking anyone at the club but I’m not optimistic about this season at all.

I’ve got my season ticket though and I’ll support the lads throughout.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on July 27, 2021, 06:51:19 am by dickos1 »
What’s wrong with the current squad?
Anderson,
John,
Rowe
Knoyle
Williams,
Horton

Smith
Bostock
Close

Taylor
Bogle
Okenabirhie
Cukur
Hiwulu

I think we’re a goalkeeper and another midfielder away from Having as good a squad as we’ve had in a long time

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on July 27, 2021, 07:52:58 am by aidanstu »
Anderson,
John,
Rowe
Knoyle
Williams,
Horton

Smith
Bostock
Close

Taylor
Bogle
Okenabirhie
Cukur
Hiwulu

I think we’re a goalkeeper and another midfielder away from Having as good a squad as we’ve had in a long time

It’s paper thin for a start; RW has said he needs to get rid of two to bring anyone else in, we have one keeper that has promise but isn’t ready, John, Smith, and possibly Horton and Bostock are not in RW plans; or at least weren’t until he ran out of cash and couldn’t field a side. Taylor and Fej aren’t fit and won’t be fully fit at the start of the season

Admittedly some of the players look quality that have been brought in and a couple of the loan players look class and I’m not including Barlow in that at this stage.

The squad is just too thin; the rebuild has been too great, the time to gel the squad too little, there is too much additional transfer activity still required and I simply can’t see how, with those Ingredients, this season is going to be anything else but very, very tough.

As I say I’m not having a go at the club; in fact they are doing exactly what I wanted them to do when I said they had lost their identity and needed to be less reliant in loans and short term contracts.

Obviously I hope the lads hit the ground running and achieve far more than what I expect them to but I just can’t see it happening.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on July 27, 2021, 09:34:29 am by sedwardsdrfc »
I don’t get the obsession with squad depth. As long as we’ve a decent bench (I think we will) then I’d much rather quality over quantity.

I look at Burnley in their promotion seasons from championship, and ever since really, small unit of quality championship players well coached. That’s the only way they could get promoted and if you look at some of the money been spent in our league it’s the same for us.

Also if we don’t trust our younger players enough to be 3rd choice back up then we may as well scrap the whole youth team. Young players have to have a reasonable chance of stepping in or it’s pointless.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on July 27, 2021, 11:15:39 am by Campsall rover »
Bottomley, Greaves, Horton, Ravenhill, Hasani and Seaman are all capable of stepping in when needed.

If they are not then what is the point in paying them wages. We may as well let them go and free up their wages.

How many people have for years been moaning we do not produce any players from our youth team who go on and play in the 1st team.

Now we have 5 players who have come through our youth system who are knocking on the door and apparently it would seem most forum posters think none are good enough.

No one is suggesting we throw 3/4 in at once but 1 or possibly 2 at a time would not weaken the team to such an extent it would be impossible to win a match.

We should be embracing these lads and be delighted we have some good lads coming through the system.
Jones is now no 1 keeper and he also has come through our youth team.

Yes I am sure RW will loan out 2/3 of them to clubs to get regular game time.
That is just common sense.
We only need 18 players on a match day and will have 22/23/24 contracted and loan players in our squad fairly soon i would expect.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 11:23:42 am by Campsall rover »

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on July 27, 2021, 11:35:45 am by RoversAlias »
Campsall,

"If they are not (capable) then what is the point in paying them wages. We may as well let them go and free up their wages."

The simple answer to that is: development. You don't bring youth team players through to immediately be first team ready players. Sometimes that does happen and it's great, but it is rare and that is why they need time to develop, through training, gradual introduction to games and loan spells at lower levels.

Getting rid of an 18-20 year old because he isn't a starter yet ignores their development and potential, but likewise you have to acknowledge that the players you list are probably not going to be starting games regularly this season and contributing.

You cannot possibly say that Bottomley, Ravenhill or Hasani are ready now. How many times have any of us seen them play?

After last season, we should hope to see Jones, Horton and Greaves at least competing for squad places regularly because they are further along in their senior development, but still they will not be world-beaters yet. Seaman is different because he isn't an academy product of ours and has a higher pedigree, plus senior experience.

But ultimately we know these are not the players we will rely on in 2021-22. They are fringe development players who need time and nurturing in order to kick on.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on July 27, 2021, 11:41:21 am by EasyforDennis »
I do sometimes find it strange that a number of our fans are reluctant to want to play any of our youngsters but are quite happy to take the same aged untried youngsters on load from other clubs?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on July 27, 2021, 11:45:49 am by Campsall rover »
Campsall,

"If they are not (capable) then what is the point in paying them wages. We may as well let them go and free up their wages."

The simple answer to that is: development. You don't bring youth team players through to immediately be first team ready players. Sometimes that does happen and it's great, but it is rare and that is why they need time to develop, through training, gradual introduction to games and loan spells at lower levels.

Getting rid of an 18-20 year old because he isn't a starter yet ignores their development and potential, but likewise you have to acknowledge that the players you list are probably not going to be starting games regularly this season and contributing.

You cannot possibly say that Bottomley, Ravenhill or Hasani are ready now. How many times have any of us seen them play?

After last season, we should hope to see Jones, Horton and Greaves at least competing for squad places regularly because they are further along in their senior development, but still they will not be world-beaters yet. Seaman is different because he isn't an academy product of ours and has a higher pedigree, plus senior experience.

But ultimately we know these are not the players we will rely on in 2021-22. They are fringe development players who need time and nurturing in order to kick on.
Alias i have just said none will be regular starters this season have I not.
But all are part of the squad and will be used as and when RW needs them.
You have said pretty much nothing that I have said or at least I thought I had.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 12:45:51 pm by Campsall rover »

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on July 27, 2021, 12:34:33 pm by dickos1 »
Anderson,
John,
Rowe
Knoyle
Williams,
Horton

Smith
Bostock
Close

Taylor
Bogle
Okenabirhie
Cukur
Hiwulu

It’s paper thin for a start; RW has said he needs to get rid of two to bring anyone else in, we have one keeper that has promise but isn’t ready, John, Smith, and possibly Horton and Bostock are not in RW plans; or at least weren’t until he ran out of cash and couldn’t field a side. Taylor and Fej aren’t fit and won’t be fully fit at the start of the season

Admittedly some of the players look quality that have been brought in and a couple of the loan players look class and I’m not including Barlow in that at this stage.

The squad is just too thin; the rebuild has been too great, the time to gel the squad too little, there is too much additional transfer activity still required and I simply can’t see how, with those Ingredients, this season is going to be anything else but very, very tough.

As I say I’m not having a go at the club; in fact they are doing exactly what I wanted them to do when I said they had lost their identity and needed to be less reliant in loans and short term contracts.

Obviously I hope the lads hit the ground running and achieve far more than what I expect them to but I just can’t see it happening.

Is it any thinner than the last 3 seasons?

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on July 27, 2021, 12:37:55 pm by RoversAlias »
I think the overarching point Campsall is that we can't expect half a dozen youngsters to fill our bench and have a consistent, successful season. I want to see these lads given chances if they are up to it but we can't ignore the fact that the squad and its players will be work in progress for much of the campaign.

I expect the younger lads to go out on loan. Blythe looks a cert for that, you can probably add Ravenhill and Hasani in too, and probably Bottomley if we can sign another keeper. That means we need to have 18-19 or so players senior players in addition to Jones, Horton and Greaves. Currently we've got 15 with designs on 3 more coming in seemingly, depending what happens with Ed Williams, so I'd say we aren't in bad shape on that front but even with a squad of that size we will be asking a lot of some of the younger ones when they inevitably have to step in.

I'm not really disagreeing with you Campsall, just adding to the discussion and delving into the finer point on what we can or should expect from the academy graduates in the Rovers squad.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on July 27, 2021, 12:40:02 pm by Campsall rover »
The point is though RW has not finished recruiting yet.

It will be a squad of more quality imo than last season.

In reply to dickos last post.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 12:48:08 pm by Campsall rover »

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on July 27, 2021, 12:50:18 pm by steve@dcfd »
Last season we had 14 permanent players over 21 this season it is the same.
Both include Williams.
We have 2 loans
We do not have a Whiteman or Coppinger equivalent so I would say it is thinner.
We need a GK we need another central midfield player and a right side midfield player
I’ve replaced Horton with Seaman.

Looking at our young players we don’t have a development in place playing team football once they leave the U18. We send them out on loan to play men’s football. None have excelled at the level they gone to they been ok. Yet we expect them to be able to sit on bench when required then come on and play league 1 level. Horton was the closest last season. Greaves tackles yet his passing is poor even when we played Peterborough second eleven he was taken off after 45mins.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 01:06:42 pm by steve@dcfd »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on July 27, 2021, 12:56:19 pm by Campsall rover »
I think the overarching point Campsall is that we can't expect half a dozen youngsters to fill our bench and have a consistent, successful season. I want to see these lads given chances if they are up to it but we can't ignore the fact that the squad and its players will be work in progress for much of the campaign.

I expect the younger lads to go out on loan. Blythe looks a cert for that, you can probably add Ravenhill and Hasani in too, and probably Bottomley if we can sign another keeper. That means we need to have 18-19 or so players senior players in addition to Jones, Horton and Greaves. Currently we've got 15 with designs on 3 more coming in seemingly, depending what happens with Ed Williams, so I'd say we aren't in bad shape on that front but even with a squad of that size we will be asking a lot of some of the younger ones when they inevitably have to step in.

I'm not really disagreeing with you Campsall, just adding to the discussion and delving into the finer point on what we can or should expect from the academy graduates in the Rovers squad.
Agree 100%
Blythe has already gone to Spennymoor in National league North.

Don’t think Horton, Greaves and Seaman will go out on loan anytime soon as they will definitely be bench warming on 7th Aug unless RW brings in 3 more before then who are match fit.
That looks unlikely.

Until Taylor and Fej are fit we are a bit short so can see RW waiting before he sends Hasani and Ravenhill out on loan also.
We need back up for any injuries which might happen in the next 2/3 weeks.

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on July 27, 2021, 01:41:44 pm by godlike1 »
Hope to surprise a few this season but can't see past a top 7 or 8 spot. As well as a lack of strength in depth I think richie will be out managed as well at times

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on July 27, 2021, 01:56:03 pm by Chris Black come back »
Think top half and pushing for play offs but never quite getting there. We probably won’t end up much shy of last season, but without the meteoric rise and catastrophic fall.

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on July 27, 2021, 03:53:38 pm by Bailey Vickerage »
Looking at our squad for next season:

GK
Louis Jones
Ben Bottomley

RB
Kyle Knoyle
Charlie Seaman

CB
Tom Anderson
Ro-Shaun Williams
Cameron John
Ben Blythe

LB
Tommy Rowe
Branden Horton

CDM/CM
Ben Close
John Bostock
Matt Smith
AJ Greaves
Lirak Hasani
Liam Ravenhill

Wingers
Jon Taylor
Jordi Hiwula
Ed Williams

Strikers
Fejiri Okenabirhie
Omar Bogle
Tiago Cukur

We’ve still hopefully got Aidan Barlow to join so that’s another winger, then got 3 more loan spots to fill (I’m guessing they will be a keeper, winger and another CM as well as wellens being hopeful of bringing in another of the trialists which I reckon will be louis reed. I know we have been told we would have to get someone out to bring in the 4th and 5th loan but I can see Ed Williams leaving which would then bring in the funds for them 2.

If I’m right that would give us:

3 keepers
2 RB (Williams can also play there if needed)
4 CB (Horton can play there if needed)
2 LB (John can play there if needed)
8 CDM/CM (Rowe can go there if needed)
4 wingers (Fej, Cukur and Rowe can also play there)
3 strikers (Hiwula can go there if needed)

That’s a squad of 26 players with maybe 3 or 4 of them going out on loan but I reckon the ones that go out on loan we will probs have a recall option on them after 28 days. Our squad isn’t the strongest but it’s big enough for where we’re aiming to be this season and we have a lot of versatile players who can play 2 or 3 different positions.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on July 27, 2021, 06:47:54 pm by scawsby steve »
Sorry and I really hope I’m wrong but based on the current squad and understandable lack of budget I’m going for bottom 3; I hope I’m wrong.

We are coming back off of some horrific form and as yet we don’t have the players for the system Richie wants to play, LJ doesn’t look or think as a number 1; we have absolutely no strength in depth,  we have had no really pre/season and are miles behind where we need to be because of this and the much needed rebuilding of the squad.

My view might change depending on who we bring in and I’m not knocking anyone at the club but I’m not optimistic about this season at all.

Don't you think that many of the 21 teams you're tipping to come above us have had the same post-Covid problems as us, and the same rebuilding job to be done?

Every team in League 1 has a mass exodus of players every season. It's the price of not getting promoted, when good players want a chance of Championship football.

You must have little faith in RW and the board if you're tipping relegation.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on July 27, 2021, 07:51:57 pm by dickos1 »
I’ll bet anyone as much as they like we will finish closer to the playoffs than the relegation zone

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on July 27, 2021, 08:31:26 pm by aidanstu »

Don't you think that many of the 21 teams you're tipping to come above us have had the same post-Covid problems as us, and the same rebuilding job to be done?

Every team in League 1 has a mass exodus of players every season. It's the price of not getting promoted, when good players want a chance of Championship football.

In short no i don’t believe the other  teams have had the rebuild we will have had; come the start of the season only 4 of the current squad were first choice in our 11 at times when the squad was at its strongest; then being fej, Bostock, Anderson and Taylor.

It has nothing to do with Wellens or what I think of him; I think he is a decent appointment. It’s the size of the rebuild that concerns me.

I’ve been critical of the board before but not currently; they are going in the right direction now for me. The fact we are financially struggling isn’t a dig it’s a fact and one that limits what they can do.m as has been accepted.

The problems combined means I just don’t see this being anything but a struggle this year.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 08:33:35 pm by aidanstu »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on July 27, 2021, 08:38:25 pm by Campsall rover »
Not sure Why people think Ed Williams is a winger.

He played most of his football as a central midfielder as far as i am aware.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on July 27, 2021, 08:53:39 pm by Campsall rover »

In short no i don’t believe the other  teams have had the rebuild we will have had; come the start of the season only 4 of the current squad were first choice in our 11 at times when the squad was at its strongest; then being fej, Bostock, Anderson and Taylor.

It has nothing to do with Wellens or what I think of him; I think he is a decent appointment. It’s the size of the rebuild that concerns me.

I’ve been critical of the board before but not currently; they are going in the right direction now for me. The fact we are financially struggling isn’t a dig it’s a fact and one that limits what they can do.m as has been accepted.

The problems combined means I just don’t see this being anything but a struggle this year.
Who says we are financially struggling. Compared to some of the so called bigger clubs we are very healthy financially.
We will be in a much stronger position than the majority. Just because we don’t go out spending daft money on transfers and wages doesn’t mean we are struggling. Plenty of clubs far worse off than us.

Good managers turn their players into better ones and create an environment which is conducive to creating a positive winning mentality.
You do not always need the best players on paper to be successful. Football is a team game and the word team is the key.
I don’t expect promotion this season but it is not out of the question by any means but thinking about us being relegation candidates is taking pessimism to the extreme imo.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on July 27, 2021, 09:00:14 pm by steve@dcfd »
Blythe, Ravenhill, Hasani and Greaves all available for loans according to Liam. Blythe on trial at Spennymore, Ravenhill could be trial at Darlington.

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on July 27, 2021, 09:05:07 pm by aidanstu »

Who says we are financially struggling. Compared to some of the so called bigger clubs we are very healthy financially.
We will be in a much stronger position than the majority. Just because we don’t go out spending daft money on transfers and wages doesn’t mean we are struggling. Plenty of clubs far worse off than us.

Good managers turn their players into better ones and create an environment which is conducive to creating a positive winning mentality.
You do not always need the best players on paper to be successful. Football is a team game and the word team is the key.
I don’t expect promotion this season but it is not out of the question by any means but thinking about us being relegation candidates is taking pessimism to the extreme imo.

I see it as realism and managing expectations but let’s hope you are right.

To think the club aren’t struggling financially at the moment whilst they are openly stating they have to get rid of kids and to let senior players go out of a squad that doesn’t have enough of them before they can bring any is, in my view a little delusional.what on earth makes you think we are not struggling at the moment?

For the past few years the club have claimed we have a top six budget whilst some of the the managers have stated it’s been mid table; so when the board effectively say mid table is where the budget is where do you think the reality lays?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on July 27, 2021, 09:06:21 pm by Campsall rover »
Blythe, Ravenhill, Hasani and Greaves all available for loans according to Liam. Blythe on trial at Spennymore, Ravenhill could be trial at Darlington.

With an immediate recall i suspect. If not then Reed and another midfielder are going to be signed or we will be very short of a decent bench.
Plus Barlow as a wide front player, plus another loan player.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 09:08:29 pm by Campsall rover »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on July 27, 2021, 09:12:41 pm by Campsall rover »

I see it as realism and managing expectations but let’s hope you are right.

To think the club aren’t struggling financially at the moment whilst they are openly stating they have to get rid of kids and to let senior players go out of a squad that doesn’t have enough of them before they can bring any is, in my view a little delusional.what on earth makes you think we are not struggling at the moment?

For the past few years the club have claimed we have a top six budget whilst some of the the managers have stated it’s been mid table; so when the board effectively say mid table is where the budget is where do you think the reality lays?
Struggling is all relative is it not. Which clubs are not struggling? If they are honest about their finances nearly every club outside the Premier league is struggling.
Just wait another 12 months and you will see what struggling is. There are going to be quite a few in meltdown.  We will not be one of them.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on July 27, 2021, 09:17:09 pm by steve@dcfd »

With an immediate recall i suspect. If not then Reed and another midfielder are going to be signed or we will be very short of a decent bench.
Plus Barlow as a wide front player, plus another loan player.

There’s also some players up for permanent transfer. Richie wants better and he says the young lads are not ready for league one football.
But if teams don’t want them then we are stuck with them.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on July 27, 2021, 09:19:34 pm by scawsby steve »

Sorry, mate, but that's a flawed argument you've presented in that first paragraph. All clubs, including us, regularly have rebuilds of that magnitude. Two seasons ago, we were left with just 3 players from the starting 11 at Charlton in the play-off semi-final the season before; and we had a new manager, but we still managed to finish 9th in League 1, in a season that was curtailed when we were in good form.

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on July 27, 2021, 10:16:36 pm by aidanstu »

Sorry, mate, but that's a flawed argument you've presented in that first paragraph. All clubs, including us, regularly have rebuilds of that magnitude. Two seasons ago, we were left with just 3 players from the starting 11 at Charlton in the play-off semi-final the season before; and we had a new manager, but we still managed to finish 9th in League 1, in a season that was curtailed when we were in good form.

Whilst I take you point the squad, in my view at least, was a lot stronger back then,  there was a lot of that squad stayed into the following season and we still only managed to finish 9th.

It’s funny how people remember that season; people seem to think we were on for the playoffs; I remember us having loads of games in hand and losing a lot we should have won; we were all set for the play offs, and automatic at one stage,  with the games in hand but finished six pints outside the playoffs with only one game in hand of fleetwood.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on July 27, 2021, 10:34:48 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Heart = 1st
Brain = 2nd
Gut = 3rd

TinyPortal © 2005-2012