Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 05:02:56 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Who's golng tonight?  (Read 8957 times)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
Re: Who's golng tonight?
« Reply #90 on July 28, 2021, 09:57:09 pm by RoversAlias »
Jones is worst keeper I have seen in a Doncaster Rovers a part Neville Southall

You've lost all credibility with that post, Steve. Come on.

Jones made a big mistake for the opener but was out of his six yard box well to claim a lot of balls through the middle, and performed okay for the rest of the game.

He'll learn from the mistake and better he makes it now than in the league.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #91 on July 28, 2021, 09:58:08 pm by dickos1 »
You obviously never saw weavers mate play,

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #92 on July 28, 2021, 10:02:18 pm by steve@dcfd »

Jones made a big mistake for the opener but was out of his six yard box well to claim a lot of balls through the middle, and performed okay for the rest of the game.

Sorry Alias I’ve watched DRFC for years I have seen all goal keepers he only in the side because we can’t afford better even have said we need an experienced keeper. I have watched Jones from U18 till now my opinion as never changed he is not  good enough but hey ho he is one of our own

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on July 28, 2021, 10:05:30 pm by DonnyOsmond »

Sorry Alias I’ve watched DRFC for years I have seen all goal keepers he only in the side because we can’t afford better even have said we need an experienced keeper. I have watched Jones from U18 till now my opinion as never changed he is not  good enough but hey ho he is one of our own

New chant?

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #94 on July 28, 2021, 10:08:27 pm by StocksArmy »
At least we know what score it is everytime somebody scores now

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #95 on July 28, 2021, 10:09:01 pm by Lesonthewest »
The gulf between the teams tonight was scary to say they are only a division higher. Yes they were Premiership last season but tonight they gave us real football lesson, we didn't play well because we couldn't get the ball off them. Not been an ideal pre season obviously with players coming & going,  & not to have your starting eleven going into the last couple of pre season games could find us wanting at the seasons start. Can't wait though if just not to hear trialist 3, 4, 6 or whatever coming over the tannoy. Have a feeling we will have a slow start, the keeper situation needs addressing, & I really can't see where the goals are going to come from.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #96 on July 28, 2021, 10:10:56 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Always going to be this way though Les. They're buying players for £20m quid, we can't even afford a fee.  The football divide keeps growing.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #97 on July 28, 2021, 10:13:48 pm by GazLaz »
I thought Seaman looks like a decent player. Cukur looks like he will be a proper player in the future, I hope that future is this season for our sake. Bogle offered nothing as usual. Harrison is one I’d like to see us sign, he has loads of ability. 

I mentioned the other day we have a keeper issue. Scrimping in that department will end up costing us.

richtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on July 28, 2021, 10:15:04 pm by richtherover »
You obviously never saw David Cromack

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #99 on July 28, 2021, 10:15:18 pm by Nudga »
I thought Seaman looks like a decent player. Cukur looks like he will be a proper player in the future, I hope that future is this season for our sake. Bogle offered nothing as usual. Harrison is one I’d like to see us sign, he has loads of ability. 

I mentioned the other day we have a keeper issue. Scrimping in that department will end up costing us.

Which one was Harrison mate?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #100 on July 28, 2021, 10:25:19 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Yes, deffo hard from that to see where goals might come from but as said, I don't think we should get too down on the mish mash of the team that was out there tonight.

Better keepers than Jones will make similar f*ck ups.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #101 on July 28, 2021, 10:42:19 pm by danumdon »
The Jones cock up looked like it affected his confidence for a good while after the event, kept his chin up and stuck to it for the rest of his match until he came off.

Really think he needs a decent experienced pro to mentor him and allow him to progress, sticking with junior keepers or poor loans will not help, this more than anything will kill any confidence the back four can generate, scrimping here can cost us dearly this season.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #102 on July 28, 2021, 10:50:41 pm by Draytonian III »
You obviously never saw David Cromack

Or Graham Biggins

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #103 on July 28, 2021, 10:52:13 pm by DRNaith »
I think it's fair to say that we played the majority of the game against a very strong team who have gelled and played well together in the premier league.

As a team we were disjointed, but hard working. I think we'll hit the mid-table of league one, that many are talking about, I just hope people are prepared for the journey that gets us there

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #104 on July 28, 2021, 11:38:00 pm by Alan Southstand »
Strange that nobody has yet mentioned that we still havn’t got 11 players who we an say are our first 11.

Make no bones about it, that was shocking tonight. Yes, they were PL last season, but we could neither get the ball off them or, when we did, we kept it for no more than 3 or 4 passes! If that’s going to be our identity, then I’ll pass.

The gulf in class is/was alarming. Thank goodness it was a friendly.

But, where do we go from here? We can’t afford Reed and he was totally found out tonight and Jones as No1 - give over. We have a major problem from back to front and it comes down to what we can and can’t afford.

Long season ahead. Get ready.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #105 on July 29, 2021, 12:43:32 am by bpoolrover »
For me this is the worst pre season for along time, we should not be having all these trialists in the squad just over a week before the season starts, for me the board either need to increase the budget a little if possible, or rw should take ravenhill and the others off the loan list to give us the numbers

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #106 on July 29, 2021, 01:14:32 am by Bessie Red »

He twice didn't hold onto a simple shot and Richie shook his head in disbelief both times. He does that quite alot & we could get punished for it when the League starts. He is a young keeper and hopefully he will iron out the mistakes but I would be happier if we had a more experienced keeper at the club keeping him on his toes & by looking at RW's reactions tonight I think he belies the same.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #107 on July 29, 2021, 01:16:17 am by Bessie Red »
At least we know what score it is everytime somebody scores now
:lol: that was so cringy!!

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #108 on July 29, 2021, 01:25:26 am by Bessie Red »
Strange that nobody has yet mentioned that we still havn’t got 11 players who we an say are our first 11.

Make no bones about it, that was shocking tonight. Yes, they were PL last season, but we could neither get the ball off them or, when we did, we kept it for no more than 3 or 4 passes! If that’s going to be our identity, then I’ll pass.

But, where do we go from here? We can’t afford Reed and he was totally found out tonight and Jones as No1 - give over. We have a major problem from back to front and it comes down to what we can and can’t afford.

You have to remember we did score 2 against a PL side last Friday and we won't be playing against anywhere near the quality of Newcastle & Sheffield Utd week in week out. I must say though that Sheff U were much better than Newcastle.
There are some worries going into the new season but I still think we will comfortably finish somewhere between 8th and 14th.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #109 on July 29, 2021, 01:35:46 am by Bessie Red »
So any positives?

Yeah, there won’t be a team in L1 that is anywhere near as good as Sheff Utd.
Or the Championship!!

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #110 on July 29, 2021, 07:38:57 am by DonnyBazR0ver »

Of course we can't say what is our best XI with so many new faces and some old faces yet to make an appearance.

With such a makeshift team I'm either half you can't make a judgment about identity especially with Close missing and Bostock etc in midfield.

I wasn't too impressed with Reed either however, to give him the benefit of doubt, with Close in there alongside Smith he may have a better chance to impress.

Richie needs to be able to get what he considers to be his best XI on the pitch as soon as possible and get plenty more minutes under their belts before we can make a real assessment.

With the rebuilding job we've had, do you really expect us to be anywhere the finished article yet?

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #111 on July 29, 2021, 07:52:49 am by Herbert Anchovy »
Anyone who thinks that they can predict a forthcoming season from 2-3 per season friendlies is totally off their rocker.

These games are an opportunity for teams to try different tactics, formations and players. Sometimes these work (as against Newcastle) and sometimes not (as against Sheffield U). The result isn’t really so important. What is important is that it answers a number of questions for the manager before the serious stuff begins. To put any real importance on the results of these games is a waste of time. Players are often not fully match fit, there are few 100% committed tackles to save injury and we have players turning out who we’re probably unlikely to see again. That’s the nature of friendlies.

Sheff U are in a completely different position to us and comparing us with them is like comparing Apples & Oranges. Utterly pointless.

We are in a transition this season; the club have made it clear and any sensible supporter can see and understand that. However, judging by some of the comments on here we should be preparing for Armageddon… based on one per season friendly.

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #112 on July 29, 2021, 07:55:55 am by godlike1 »
I don't think you can really judge the season against that game tonight. I think there is a dose of reality though that our budget is no longer top 8 and more bottom to mid table

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #113 on July 29, 2021, 08:00:05 am by DonnyOsmond »
I don't think you can really judge the season against that game tonight. I think there is a dose of reality though that our budget is no longer top 8 and more bottom to mid table

You've probably not seen it but SM posted that the EFL haven't confirmed yet but the club strongly believe they have a top 10 budget.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #114 on July 29, 2021, 08:01:46 am by the vicar »

You have to remember we did score 2 against a PL side last Friday and we won't be playing against anywhere near the quality of Newcastle & Sheffield Utd week in week out. I must say though that Sheff U were much better than Newcastle.
There are some worries going into the new season but I still think we will comfortably finish somewhere between 8th and 14th.
that doesn’t matter as we was just rubbish last night absolutely that is the point

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #115 on July 29, 2021, 08:07:57 am by GazLaz »

You've probably not seen it but SM posted that the EFL haven't confirmed yet but the club strongly believe they have a top 10 budget.

I thought the 6 year plan was to maintain a L1 budget of around 6th place to give us optimal chance of hitting the playoff picture most seasons and maybe better if we over perform.

Really the plan has been sustainability and being at a point in which TB doesn’t have to subsidise the club. That never really gets mentioned too much.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #116 on July 29, 2021, 08:09:23 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Very good interview with RW on Radio Sheffield if you need some perspective on last night and where we're at.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #117 on July 29, 2021, 08:14:47 am by Campsall rover »
Back four look yards off pace. Two centre backs look ok on the ball when in possession but easily cut out on through balls. Rowe way too far up the pitch to track back. Midfield not much understanding between them and little imagination up front. Yes, Blunts have a decent side out but Wellens really has his work cut out to string things together. The team really do look like strangers. Understandable with the lack of training together but the season is nearly upon us so let’s hope things improve fairly soon.
We didn’t look like a team of strangers against Newcastle. We played very fluent football and looked good.
Missed Ben Close last night but credit to Sheff U who were very good. They will go straight back up this season.
Don’t panic it was a friendly. They mean very little.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #118 on July 29, 2021, 08:16:45 am by DonnyOsmond »

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #119 on July 29, 2021, 08:18:45 am by DonnyBazR0ver »

I thought the 6 year plan was to maintain a L1 budget of around 6th place to give us optimal chance of hitting the playoff picture most seasons and maybe better if we over perform.

Really the plan has been sustainability and being at a point in which TB doesn’t have to subsidise the club. That never really gets mentioned too much.

Because what you thought is a myth. The talk at the time was a 5 year plan but that was quickly out of the window when the head honcho changes in such a short period of time plus a pandemic on top!

Why do you and others keep referring to the 5 year plan and ignore the more recent communications from GB?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012