Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:42:55 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Chain Gang  (Read 995 times)

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
Chain Gang
« on August 01, 2021, 01:10:42 pm by Sprotyrover »
Just found a 'Gaurdian' article by a Mr Joel Golby on Johnsons chain gang plans, "Putting a Kid with a shoplifting conviction in a high visibility vest is degrading'!!! What country does Joel Golby live in this lefty propaganda is worthy of Joseph Goebells himself.
I challenge you libertines to find a Kid with a conviction for shop lifting!
You will have to look far and wide, youths have been diverted out of the Criminal Justice system for over a decade.
You might get a 17 year old who has at least a dozen court convictions in such a vest, but they generally hit their 18th Birthday and get a 4 year Youth custodial sentence!  Such individuals were 'lost to society ' well before they were teenagers.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
Re: Chain Gang
« Reply #1 on August 01, 2021, 02:32:44 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Do you have a link to the article where he states a high viz vest is degrading?

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 01, 2021, 02:39:04 pm by River Don »
We disproportionately put more black men in prison in the UK so I can't help but picture the scene.

A chain gang of mainly black lads digging in the street for the authentic nineteenth century Mississippi look, with only the high viz as a reminder it's 21st centuary Britain.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 01, 2021, 02:59:40 pm by albie »
The deep racism that is contained in this suggestion is no accident.
Racially aggravated language used to a political purpose.

Dog whistle politics, step back and wait for the scampering of those encouraged to vent their own biases.
The comedian Stewart Lee has an interesting take;
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/aug/01/turns-out-boris-johnsons-strategy-was-just-another-pile-of-mud

Does anyone have any evidence from criminology of the proven value of this approach?
Thought not!

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 01, 2021, 03:15:37 pm by Sprotyrover »
Doubt you will ever see such a sight in the UK, a few tears ago I asked the Probation Wallahs if the community service criminals could come and do a litter Pick? Answer was no they need toilet facilities on hand. So Community minded volunteers like myself have to put up with no facilities whatsoever for over 4 hours, but convicted criminals need a loo on hand!

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 01, 2021, 03:16:40 pm by Sprotyrover »
Quote from: River Don link =topic=281688.msg1073684#msg1073684 date=1627825144
We disproportionately put more black men in prison in the UK so I can't help but picture the scene.

A chain gang of mainly black lads digging in the street for the authentic nineteenth century Mississippi look, with only the high viz as a reminder it's 21st centuary Britain.
What has this got to do with my post?

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 01, 2021, 03:55:28 pm by wilts rover »
Sproty is a secret Graudiran reader - the world gets stranger...

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on August 01, 2021, 04:06:45 pm by ravenrover »
I cannot believe that the Prime Minister of UK could come out with the term "chain gang" in the 21st century ..........
Then I remenbered who it is

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 01, 2021, 04:09:46 pm by Sprotyrover »
Ha I saw the headline and thought what has Boris splathered out now, You will never see chain gangs in this country.
I was surprised to see a jouno quoting Juvenile shoplifters on chain gangs as I said, Juvenile offenders have to try a lot harder than shoplifting o get into the criminal justice system. Some thing I am proud to have played a part in!

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on August 01, 2021, 08:42:35 pm by roversdude »
Sproty totally agree it would infringe the precious little things human rights - could do with them manning the traffic lights on Melton Road with how often they stick

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on August 01, 2021, 11:27:27 pm by SydneyRover »
Doubt you will ever see such a sight in the UK, a few tears ago I asked the Probation Wallahs if the community service criminals could come and do a litter Pick? Answer was no they need toilet facilities on hand. So Community minded volunteers like myself have to put up with no facilities whatsoever for over 4 hours, but convicted criminals need a loo on hand!

IF the good burgers of sprotland don't chuck litter around there wouldn't be a need? but as there is you could let them use your bog sprot and calling it doing a public service

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 02, 2021, 08:21:48 am by Metalmicky »
I used to do volunteer work for the Youth Offending Service and we would often recommend that offenders do community work as reparation for their misdemeanours.  We used to be provided with a list of community initiatives or projects that were willing to offer the offenders an opportunity to undertake some work for the good of the community - stuff like repairing bikes, doing gardening at old peoples homes, helping out at charity shops etc etc. This had the additional problem that any prospective 'employer' would need to be vetted first and have an DBS check prior to offering their help. 

We might occasionally be offered other community tasks, such as cleaning up of graffiti, painting fences, or tidying public paths/parks/streams etc, however, these were few and far between, because any work like this would need to be supervised and the Youth Offending Service didn't have the staff to monitor it.   
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 04:16:32 pm by Metalmicky »

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on August 02, 2021, 04:06:46 pm by roversdude »

IF the good burgers of sprotland don't chuck litter around there wouldn't be a need? but as there is you could let them use your bog sprot and calling it doing a public service

It’s peasants passing through after filling their faces with KFC generally

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 02, 2021, 05:43:04 pm by Sprotyrover »

It’s peasants passing through after filling their faces with KFC generally
Also Cannabis Farmers dumping the remains of the grow, and Cowboy builders dumping rubble and all sorts of stuff.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 02, 2021, 05:59:59 pm by wilts rover »
Ha I saw the headline and thought what has Boris splathered out now, You will never see chain gangs in this country.
I was surprised to see a jouno quoting Juvenile shoplifters on chain gangs as I said, Juvenile offenders have to try a lot harder than shoplifting o get into the criminal justice system. Some thing I am proud to have played a part in!

Agreed - it will never happen and was just a story for the Daily Mail Comments section to distract from his covid handling and corruption stories. Seems to have fooled this journalist (who I see is actually a staff writer for Vice Magazines - some yoof magazine - rather the Guardian) tho.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 02, 2021, 08:56:03 pm by Sprotyrover »

Agreed - it will never happen and was just a story for the Daily Mail Comments section to distract from his covid handling and corruption stories. Seems to have fooled this journalist (who I see is actually a staff writer for Vice Magazines - some yoof magazine - rather the Guardian) tho.

He needs to write for VIZ comic that'll sharpen his Pencil for him!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012