Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:51:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The Off-Off topic Challenge ..... Are you bold enough  (Read 3326 times)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
As of topic politics always appear to be fraught drama and especially when it comes to covid I thought I would post tada ........ The Challenge.

All you have to do is explain why the UK being one of the wealthiest groups of countries in the world has experienced one the of the worst death rates in the world. Please provide credible expert commentary and links to support your replies.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 11:07:09 am by Forum Admin »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
Re: The Off-Off topic Challenge ..... Are you bold enough
« Reply #1 on July 29, 2021, 11:07:32 am by SydneyRover »
I am hoping contestants will be honourable and behave as gentlemen filo  :)

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on July 29, 2021, 11:20:24 am by Filo »
I am hoping contestants will be honourable and behave as gentlemen filo  :)

Why has your post been edited by admin, and where has my innocent reply gone?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on July 29, 2021, 11:24:40 am by SydneyRover »
You live and die by the rules and forum moderators filo, I wouldn't want the job.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on July 29, 2021, 11:27:33 am by Filo »
You live and die by the rules and forum moderators filo, I wouldn't want the job.

I’ve done the job, I know, but my reply was nowhere near some of the grenades thrown by others

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on July 29, 2021, 12:05:08 pm by Campsall rover »
We have been too slow to shut our borders down.

If we had done what New Zealand did in Feb / March 20 then we probably would have saved many lives.

Hindsight though is a wonderful thing and no one is going to tell me that if the Labour Party had been the government that they would have acted any faster or made any other decisions differently which would have saved lives.

We will never know of course. But hindsight and crystal balls eh. Wish we all had them. 

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on July 29, 2021, 12:11:19 pm by SydneyRover »
We have been too slow to shut our borders down.

If we had done what New Zealand did in Feb / March 20 then we probably would have saved many lives.

Hindsight though is a wonderful thing and no one is going to tell me that if the Labour Party had been the government that they would have acted any faster or made any other decisions differently which would have saved lives.

We will never know of course. But hindsight and crystal balls eh. Wish we all had them.

But 205+ other countries did better CR, you can have another go if you want.

Correction out of 219 countries (or areas) UK was fifth worst by deaths per million, and you are trying to deflect blame to others CP.

For future contestants please try to restrict your answer to known facts not speculation.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 12:20:44 pm by SydneyRover »

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on July 29, 2021, 01:21:11 pm by SydneyRover »
Not a bad start, Campsall has said that the borders were not closed soon enough, fair point, true and easily checked, but there has to be more, who's next to take he challenge?

This could be the Off-Off topic inquiry, the one you have when you don't have an inquiry.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on July 29, 2021, 01:24:49 pm by bobjimwilly »
All you have to do is explain why the UK being one of the wealthiest groups of countries in the world has experienced one the of the worst death rates in the world.

It's easy. We've got a whopper of a Prime Minister who doesn't have a clue and just wants to be king (his own words when he was a kid).
He's easily manipulated by others who do have a half a brain, who unfortunately cared more about the short-term economic loss that would have affected their own businesses. Add to that that he doesn't care about anyone but himself, and you have someone who is more than happy to spread covid around care homes and kill off the most vulnerable.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on July 29, 2021, 02:27:43 pm by belton rover »
Sydney. Re. the title of your thread: that’s not how you spell ‘bored’.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on July 29, 2021, 02:28:35 pm by bobjimwilly »

you not going to have a go at the challenge?

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on July 29, 2021, 02:47:48 pm by Metalmicky »
But 205+ other countries did better CR, you can have another go if you want.

Correction out of 219 countries (or areas) UK was fifth worst by deaths per million, and you are trying to deflect blame to others CP.

For future contestants please try to restrict your answer to known facts not speculation.

You stated that out of 219 countries (or areas)……. however, it's worth highlighting that only around 150 of these have a population above 1 million – so is it worth including these in your 'stats' – unless it’s to bolster the figures for effect?

Talking of which, I’m also not sure where you got your figures from - we are actually 20th worst by deaths per million and have the USA, Mexico, Chile and several others including Spain and France just on our tail.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

I'd add that it would be foolish to accept the given figures of the likes of Russia, South Africa, Egypt, Iran, India etc, where large excess-mortality gaps exist, or even countries like Malaysia, Mongolia and the Philippines where 'negative' excess mortality rates have been recorded…

Saying all that, it has been a bit of a cluster all round...... many people and countries have failed, been under-prepared and made a balls up of things...   

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on July 29, 2021, 04:06:35 pm by belton rover »
All you have to do is explain why the UK being one of the wealthiest groups of countries in the world has experienced one the of the worst death rates in the world.

It's easy. We've got a whopper of a Prime Minister who doesn't have a clue and just wants to be king (his own words when he was a kid).
He's easily manipulated by others who do have a half a brain, who unfortunately cared more about the short-term economic loss that would have affected their own businesses. Add to that that he doesn't care about anyone but himself, and you have someone who is more than happy to spread covid around care homes and kill off the most vulnerable.

Bob. You forgot the credible expert commentary and the links.
Clearly you are not up to the challenge.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on July 29, 2021, 05:21:45 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
As of topic politics always appear to be fraught drama and especially when it comes to covid I thought I would post tada ........ The Challenge.

All you have to do is explain why the UK being one of the wealthiest groups of countries in the world has experienced one the of the worst death rates in the world. Please provide credible expert commentary and links to support your replies.

I’m a welder in South East London Syd. I have absolutely no idea how to answer your question. I could google it but the Guardian will give me one answer and the Daily Mail a completely different answer. So, I can’t help you I’m afraid. However, I suspect that you already have your own answer in mind?

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on July 29, 2021, 09:14:39 pm by scawsby steve »

you not going to have a go at the challenge?

No, because he's probably bored, just like the rest of us.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on July 29, 2021, 09:51:24 pm by bobjimwilly »

here's exhibit #1 and #2

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on July 29, 2021, 10:07:28 pm by belton rover »

here's exhibit #1 and #2

Case closed. Cheers, Bob.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on July 29, 2021, 10:13:26 pm by RobTheRover »

here's exhibit #1 and #2

Case closed!

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on July 29, 2021, 10:58:04 pm by SydneyRover »
Unfortunately some are trying to make the thread political, but lets carry on regardless. Lots of people that knew everything before I posted the challenge suddenly appear to know nothing.

MM the UK were 5th worst but due to them being seventh richest and being able to afford vaccines the figures have improved. I have used the numbers of countries and areas shown on the worldometer that I have been quoting since it was first put up for viewing, I will continue to use it. Countries with pops less than one million have always been represented on the worldometer the numbers are adjusted.

PPE the lack of it to be precise was another major factor in the spread of the virus in health care facilities, it has been well documented and substantiated.

So we have so far

1/ failure to close the borders.
2/ lack of PPE.

Come on guys you're not trying, well some of you are aye?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on July 30, 2021, 06:40:32 am by SydneyRover »

I’m a welder in South East London Syd. I have absolutely no idea how to answer your question. I could google it but the Guardian will give me one answer and the Daily Mail a completely different answer. So, I can’t help you I’m afraid. However, I suspect that you already have your own answer in mind?

You make plenty of sensible comments HA, your work is skilled and has taken you to different places and you have wide experience, a couple of ways to deal with complex issues is to start by chunking, breaking down the problem into manageable bits that are more easily dealt with, such as welding into a corner where two surfaces meet at right angles with a plate on the base, you'd have to plan it in stages to so that distortion is kept to a minimum, what is the material made from, what welding techniques would I use, would you weld into the corner or start in and work out all these sort of things. That's what I'm proposing here, to build a case with information readily available. Also when you run up against a problem that you cannot solve right away sometimes it's good to sleep on it and go back to it the next day, like a cryptic crossword clue, it's where the diffuse brain comes into play. Quite often you'll realise what the answer is later.

Rome wasn't built in a day and if one doesn't speak up when when the chance is there it's no good complaining if you disagree with the findings, aye?

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on July 30, 2021, 08:57:24 am by Metalmicky »
Unfortunately some are trying to make the thread political, but lets carry on regardless. Lots of people that knew everything before I posted the challenge suddenly appear to know nothing.

MM the UK were 5th worst but due to them being seventh richest and being able to afford vaccines the figures have improved. I have used the numbers of countries and areas shown on the worldometer that I have been quoting since it was first put up for viewing, I will continue to use it. Countries with pops less than one million have always been represented on the worldometer the numbers are adjusted.

PPE the lack of it to be precise was another major factor in the spread of the virus in health care facilities, it has been well documented and substantiated.

So we have so far

2/ lack of PPE.

Well I was trying to correct you, but you chose to ignore/disregard most of what I wrote...... so I'll not be bothering again. 

As for making it political....:lol: :lol: ........ It's perhaps best not to criticise others for a fault that you quite obviously have yourself..

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on July 30, 2021, 09:01:25 am by SydneyRover »

So we have so far

2/ lack of PPE.

Well I was trying to correct you, but you chose to ignore/disregard most of what I wrote...... so I'll not be bothering again. 

As for making it political....:lol: :lol: ........ It's perhaps best not to criticise others for a fault that you quite obviously have yourself..

Firstly show mw where I am incorrect and as I said earlier in the thread or suggested, leave your politics at the doo on this thread.

Participate of you want to, I think it will be interesting to see if we as a group get anywhere close to the official inquiry.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on July 30, 2021, 10:34:50 am by bobjimwilly »
All you have to do is explain why the UK being one of the wealthiest groups of countries in the world has experienced one the of the worst death rates in the world

Don't my exhibits answer this question? Both pictures paint more than 1000 words IMO.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on July 30, 2021, 10:54:47 am by SydneyRover »
All you have to do is explain why the UK being one of the wealthiest groups of countries in the world has experienced one the of the worst death rates in the world

Don't my exhibits answer this question? Both pictures paint more than 1000 words IMO.

Well they could bob but that would be putting the cart first and if the thread is to remain A-political if you are correct or not it will come out anyway as the topics of the thread are collated and evaluated and the outcomes present themselves. Wouldn't want to be seen as biased at all aye?

I think Track & Trace should go on the list next. There is stacks of info out there and when all these contributing factors are listed they can be looked at in more depth. Such as why a brand new system was set up, why it was closed down again in the space of only a few months, those sorts of things, it will be good to get it all in one place I think.

You contributions are much appreciated bob as are any others. Haven't heard back from MM as yet, I assume he agrees with what I wrote, happy to be corrected MM.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on July 30, 2021, 10:59:52 am by Ldr »
It’s fair to say the country was not prepared, has been caught with its pants down over this. The NHS has adapted fantastically to cope at the cost of routine work, that’s triage in action.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on July 30, 2021, 12:19:08 pm by SydneyRover »
2/ lack of PPE.
3/NHS
4/Cygnus
5/Test & Trace

thanks Ldr when considering around 600 health care workers lost their lives it's astonishing what they achieved.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on July 30, 2021, 12:20:27 pm by selby »
  Covid19 was not recognised until well past the date it became fairly well spread in this country, I am convinced I had it, sat in the car after a game at Rotherham wondering if I should really set off back home I felt that unwell, and also developed a shortness of breath and dizziness especially at night on more than one occasion,  and was really concerned all well before knowledge of any pandemic was known.
  A couple of months later all hell is let go and I was left wondering if I had it or not        ( personally I am sure myself I had) and the whole world is a different place.
  Every country was caught out.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on July 30, 2021, 12:24:23 pm by SydneyRover »
  Covid19 was not recognised until well past the date it became fairly well spread in this country, I am convinced I had it, sat in the car after a game at Rotherham wondering if I should really set off back home I felt that unwell, and also developed a shortness of breath and dizziness especially at night on more than one occasion,  and was really concerned all well before knowledge of any pandemic was known.
  A couple of months later all hell is let go and I was left wondering if I had it or not        ( personally I am sure myself I had) and the whole world is a different place.
  Every country was caught out.

True but as the title says some managed better than others, what do you put that down to selby?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on July 30, 2021, 01:19:47 pm by selby »
  people making money out of it.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on July 30, 2021, 01:23:00 pm by SydneyRover »
  people making money out of it.

Is this overall across the board or specific areas do you think, how can I include it in my list as a factor?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012