Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 12:03:22 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: No ambition  (Read 18851 times)

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
Re: No ambition
« Reply #60 on August 08, 2021, 02:47:00 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Donny Baz…

Facts.

Crowds have halved in last 7 year.
No sustainable championship club as planned.
No super league rugby club as planned.
No where neither on both.
No investment
No ambition

Just silence from blunt and bramall, they have the money to quite easily make us challengers not just also rans, there not bothered at all otherwise they could change it.  Thing is they won’t sell neither, despite them saying otherwise.  Drfc would have plenty of suitors I’m sure.
Name one, just one!

Have they offered the club for sale?

The owners have always said they would be happy to sell to anyone who could show they would be able to secure Rovers' future.

So why aren't all these wonderful potential owners beating their door down?

Come on redandwhite/Gibson, answer this one before gobbing off on the broken record yet again.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

redbrez

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on August 08, 2021, 03:08:06 pm by redbrez »
The wind up people might be over the top, but they have valid questions
Why are the crowds down, is there a lack of ambition ? I think we do need to see a bit more investment in the squad and build back more excitment with someone willing to give a bit of a rallying charge?

The squad this season is too lightweight ? And so many questions
A similar team size wise to us lose a player for good money and find a decent replacement ( Peterborough)
We lose marquis and end up with bogle) plenty of fans suggested Clarke Harris,  but we won't spend money on a trasfer?
Rotherham bigger crowds than us ? Why .? I
 The loss of 3 managers after one season says a lot to me that something isn't adding up and something isn't quite right.
I feel we are going backwards and something has to change?

Never mind a rebrand , I think wellens will do well if we don't get relegated this season.
Hope I'm wrong , and things look better with some more loan signings and the injured players to comeback.

That was the most lightweight front 3 we have played since coming back into the football league.

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on August 08, 2021, 03:14:12 pm by godlike1 »
All I would say is that the reason I've always enjoyed watching rovers is

Hope.

Hope that wed survive relegation or get promoted to the old division 3

Hope that wed survive despite Richardsons attempts to rub the club into the ground

Hope wed get back into the football league

Hope that wed upset the odds and get to the championship

Hope that wed beat the so called big boys and prove our worth in the championship

Hope that the club could one day push to get the stadium extended due to the continued push to be the best within our means giving other fans Hope and wanting season tickets

Hope the club would have a stable footprint with youth team players progressing through

I could go on however my Hope is quickly disappearing, we seem rudderless run like a business with faceless leaders who have no passion, or desire. They seem happy to be happy to accept mediocre.

For those people who don't like the board being criticised. Yes they are keeping the club afloat in difficult times but ............what else? Who is the chairman? Where is his leadership? Why is he and the main owner silent partners? There is nothing they do to bring Hope of any of those things I've mentioned before and so that is where they are going wrong.

Will or can they acknowledge or understand this? I don't believe so. I just don't think they get it. They are not football fans they are business men. The Watsons and ryans were the driving force behind the Hope (and I'm not saying they always got it right)

We just seem to me to have lost our identity as a club off as well as on the pitch now floating around just surviving and nothing else.

Someone please show me where the Hope is and I'll be all for joining that train once again

Michael Gibson

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on August 08, 2021, 03:39:08 pm by Michael Gibson »
Bessie Red.

Lincoln bid 200k for Robson at Dundee Utd!, every team mentioned has been pro active, every club has had the pandemic to deal with, we’ve come out of deep sleep thinking oh well everything is normal, the clubs stagnant, no ambition, no drive , no investment absolutely fkg nothing….

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on August 08, 2021, 03:49:47 pm by sha66y »
How I see it ( my opinion only not yours…..get ya own,)
Richie comes in and builds a team, the team are of the value we can afford…
We use this season ( irrespective of relegation) to build a solid squad of players…
We persevere through the hard times getting the team and style right…..
IF we avoid relegation and the team are playing well, we stick with it and add to it..
IF we get relegated, we keep the squad together and play our way back …

Yes….some fly by night support will fall off, but that will happen anyway if we are losing games during this transition, and if we get relegated and keep the team together I would think we would increase our support with those that expect to see us dominant in every game….
It’s not nice to be making up the numbers in tier 3,  but it’s very nice being a slightly bigger fish in tier 4…

Unpopular I know, but the idea that our budget is to keep the team stable tells me that we are a steady Eddie mid table team, that hopes to have a dalliance with the top 6 and hopefully be just a bit too good to go down….

Rtid

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on August 08, 2021, 04:11:35 pm by Donny Exile in York »
Relegation is unthinkable and unacceptable if we have the super board that many on here won't doubt... im not seeing any progress right now.. granted with a long season and the only hope is Wellens can galvanise a very young squad and get enough results to avoid relegation and develop and build a new squad.. after yesterday's performance, looking at the squad on paper and lack of proper investment or reinvestment after a very bad run of results last season then avoiding relegation will be a huge achievement for Wellens.. at present I'm afraid looking at the squad, injuries, noises from the club including Wellens on budget.. then avoiding relegation in my opinion is the best we can hope for this season..  and if we don't then the board and the lack of investment and poor decision making will.be to blame...
« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 04:15:40 pm by Donny Exile in York »

Redandwhite

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on August 08, 2021, 04:27:07 pm by Redandwhite »
As anyone thought that the crowd was lower because of the COVID situation

So covid has only affected rovers ?
Funny how other attendances are up .

The club needs to get it's head out of the sand and really do something to generate interest .

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on August 08, 2021, 04:28:57 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

The club needs to get it's head out of the sand and really do something to generate interest .

And what is that and how do we achieve it?

Redandwhite

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on August 08, 2021, 04:30:13 pm by Redandwhite »
Donny Baz…

Facts.

No investment
No ambition

Just silence from blunt and bramall, they have the money to quite easily make us challengers not just also rans, there not bothered at all otherwise they could change it.  Thing is they won’t sell neither, despite them saying otherwise.  Drfc would have plenty of suitors I’m sure.
Name one, just one!

It’s not like trying to sell your house, the club have always stated that if the right offer came in they would sell, do they shout the club is available for sale? Doubtful but most clubs that are sold don’t do that either.

Well, if your buying a house, you don't just knock on any front door you like the look of.
You look at the ones that are on the market !

Redandwhite

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on August 08, 2021, 04:31:12 pm by Redandwhite »
Donny Baz…

Facts.

No investment
No ambition

Name one, just one!

The owners have always said they would be happy to sell to anyone who could show they would be able to secure Rovers' future.

So why aren't all these wonderful potential owners beating their door down?

Come on redandwhite/Gibson, answer this one before gobbing off on the broken record yet again.

They need to put the club up for sale, if they want to sell !!

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on August 08, 2021, 04:36:36 pm by PDX_Rover »
It's clear the donny public are voting with their feet. Today's attendance proved this .
Down to a complete lack of ambition from the board, there's no drive, passion or direction from them .
They seem to be happy letting the club tick over with minimal costs .
It's a shell of the club it once was under john ryan, and we have gone backwards massively. 

We really need a rallying call from the board, some passion and vision !
But there's literally nothing, f**k all !

The marketing is non existent, the club is too concerned with penny pinching from top to bottom.

From the marketing to the food kiosks, its just a ghost town, with no ambition what so ever .

Either sell, or act like you actually want to run the club !

Baldwin and blunt need to go, they are squeezing the life from the club .

Peterborough, Rotherham, Brentford, Oxford, Lincoln,  Wycombe, Shrewsbury, all clubs of similar stature who are vastly better run with more ambition  .

Even if there was some sort of rallying call, you and Gibson would be on it, tearing it apart with a very similar post to this no doubt.

You are both dillusional and live in a fantasy world where you think everything was rosy whilst John Ryan was chairman. That parallel universe you keep referring to doesn't exist and bears no resemblance to reality.

You have no clue how those clubs are being run you're just guessing.

Even John Ryan dressed as the Pied Piper couldn't pull in 5000 more people. I suppose you've forgotten how he used to complain and say, I just wish more people would get behind the team, when attendances were inevitably waning after the novelty and excitement of the first couple of years in the Championship in a brand new stadium. I suppose you'll say the marketing was great then too? 

Ryan tried to rewrite history. For example, the story about driving down to Dover ( was it) picking up players on the way… he wasn’t at the club then!

Oh and he and Pete Wetzel apparently bought Rovers for £1. And as far as I know, JR still owes Wetzrl the 50p.

Rightly JR is lauded for saving the club, but some of stuff that happened subsequently was unsavoury and nasty, and some of it downright bonkers.

Donnybob

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on August 08, 2021, 04:38:09 pm by Donnybob »
Attendances?

I say b*llsh*t! Why? Read:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/doncaster-rovers/besucherzahlenentwicklung/verein/2454

Last time in Championship (2013/14) saw gates average 9,041 (boosted by much higher away followings).

Previous 3 seasons prior to Covid (in L1) were all over 8,000. It's reasonable to assume the home attendance was just as high as in the last Chamionship season.

The 3 seasons prior to this the verage was 6,400-odd.

Yesterday's gate, with many choosing to stay away due to Covid associated risks topped 6,400. And do remember this figure is the attendance for one game, not a ratified projection for the whole season.

So do explain how this adds up to a consistant decline in the Rovers' following over 7 years?

Bull s***!

Not since the original Donnybob Challenge have we seen a dramatic rise in attendees. That worked because it harnessed positivity. In what possible way do you see constant negativity, carping and criticism on here helping to improve anything?

Sadly I suspect I'm explaining to kids barely old enough to clean their own teeth. If you are going to moan, at least do some rudimentery homework before claiming fantasies as, "Fact!"

Some folk are simply embarrassing. The club would be better and stronger without them.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on August 08, 2021, 04:48:32 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Attendances?

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/doncaster-rovers/besucherzahlenentwicklung/verein/2454

Last time in Championship (2013/14) saw gates average 9,041 (boosted by much higher away followings).

Previous 3 seasons prior to Covid (in L1) were all over 8,000. It's reasonable to assume the home attendance was just as high as in the last Chamionship season.

Yesterday's gate, with many choosing to stay away due to Covid associated risks topped 6,400. And do remember this figure is the attendance for one game, not a ratified projection for the whole season.

So do explain how this adds up to a consistant decline in the Rovers' following over 7 years?

Bull s***!

Not since the original Donnybob Challenge have we seen a dramatic rise in attendees. That worked because it harnessed positivity. In what possible way do you see constant negativity, carping and criticism on here helping to improve anything?

Sadly I suspect I'm explaining to kids barely old enough to clean their own teeth. If you are going to moan, at least do some rudimentery homework before claiming fantasies as, "Fact!"

Some folk are simply embarrassing. The club would be better and stronger without them.

Mr research what year did the east part open to away fans?

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on August 08, 2021, 04:55:13 pm by Bessie Red »
Bessie Red.

Lincoln bid 200k for Robson at Dundee Utd!, every team mentioned has been pro active, every club has had the pandemic to deal with, we’ve come out of deep sleep thinking oh well everything is normal, the clubs stagnant, no ambition, no drive , no investment absolutely fkg nothing….
How has that got anything whatsoever to do with me asking you to name one, just one, potential suiter (buyer) as you put it..

Redandwhite

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on August 08, 2021, 04:57:12 pm by Redandwhite »

Thing is, the board are anonymous.
When was the last interview brammall or blunt gave ?
When was the last time either of them wrote programme notes, or articles for fans to read and get excited about ?

Do they even go to games? Serious question
« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 05:11:59 pm by Redandwhite »

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on August 08, 2021, 05:19:17 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Donny Baz…

Facts.

No investment
No ambition

Michael.

Facts.

Even John Ryan could arrest the slide in attendances, even when still in the Championship, then even in the second stint.

Once again, you can’t plan to be a sustainable Championship club without all the ingredients you need to get you there. It's an aspirational thing and we very nearly achieved it again recently. Throwing money that you don't have at it, isn't an option for us.

Rugby League super club as 'planned see above. An aspirational ambition.

No investment? Define investment!
No ambition? Define ambition!

Making loud noises doesn't bring you success without some substance behind it.
How do you know they have the money? Just how much money will it take like?

And finally, one key point you continue to fail to grasp. There is nothing to sell. There are no assets for anyone to take a gamble on.

It would take a huge commitment from a benefactor to make a major change.

I used to go to meetings with John Ryan who used to get really angry with people like you who constantly whinge and moan even after all he did for the club.

If you think this is running a club into the ground then you must have a short memory.

There's people on this forum who worked hard before and with John Ryan to save this club and move it forward. Many hard hours working with councils bankers, accountants, solicitors, sports financiers and advisors and even been threatened along the way by unscrupulous frauds who wanted to fleece the club out of its very existence.

What have you done?

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on August 08, 2021, 05:25:40 pm by sha66y »

Thing is, the board are anonymous.
When was the last interview brammall or blunt gave ?
When was the last time either of them wrote programme notes, or articles for fans to read and get excited about ?

Do they even go to games? Serious question

A lot of your questions are actually valid points, …… your just asking them the wrong way…lol

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on August 08, 2021, 05:28:25 pm by EasyforDennis »
Any ambitions we had as a club went when Andrew Watson resigned from the board.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on August 08, 2021, 05:34:34 pm by sha66y »
Relegation is unthinkable and unacceptable if we have the super board that many on here won't doubt... im not seeing any progress right now.. granted with a long season and the only hope is Wellens can galvanise a very young squad and get enough results to avoid relegation and develop and build a new squad.. after yesterday's performance, looking at the squad on paper and lack of proper investment or reinvestment after a very bad run of results last season then avoiding relegation will be a huge achievement for Wellens.. at present I'm afraid looking at the squad, injuries, noises from the club including Wellens on budget.. then avoiding relegation in my opinion is the best we can hope for this season..  and if we don't then the board and the lack of investment and poor decision making will.be to blame...

“ unthinkable and unacceptable” ??
It’s not that bad if you think about it….

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #79 on August 08, 2021, 05:42:52 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Attendances?

Bull s***!

Thanks Donnybob for your fact busting.

It was a great time that with a number of people like your good self, also before and after who got off our butts and try to make a difference.

They don't realise with their constant critisism on here and on Twittersphere etc, they are the problem not the solution.

Donnybob

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on August 08, 2021, 07:01:43 pm by Donnybob »
Thank you Baz.

My mention of the challenge wasn't some kind of attention seeking although it's a simple idea that is as relevant today as it was back inn the Championship days.

We have 6 and a half thousand fans tops according to the doom and gloom merchants. If each of those supporters invited just one friend to attend the next game we would jump to 13,000.

It would be brilliant if the club got behind a fresh challenge and it could be leveraged with perhaps a discount incentive price for the second ticket, or better still, over a series of 4 matches an increased incentive for multibuys.
Target these newbies with offers of 4, 8 or maybe 12 ticket offers, discounted sufficiently to get them attending regularly.

Make this available also to anyone who is on the database but hasn't purchased a ticket since 3 months before Covid.

Fill those empty seats at any cost, a full stadium lifts the team and makes he game day experience so much better.

Yes, the club can organise the challenge but it can only work if the fan base takes responsibility and participates in encouraging those missing supporters and plus it would require the moaners to play their part.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 07:04:50 pm by Donnybob »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on August 08, 2021, 07:07:44 pm by Campsall rover »
Where is your evidence for that statement?

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on August 08, 2021, 07:29:23 pm by EasyforDennis »

Bloody hell. Are we going to have to put IMHO or Allegedly after everyone post now in order to satisfy the brown nosers on here.

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #83 on August 08, 2021, 07:29:47 pm by mpc123 »
Bessie Red.

Lincoln nearly went up, so spending alot of next years budget on a fee to add to a team that nearly went up makes sense.

We suffered last year so had to bring alot in so that budget has been spent differently.

We maybe would have been able to put that offer in, but not have got 5 of the players we have if it was successful.

I just don't get this comparison logic.

Yesterday was bad, but the club have said all preseason it is a building year, Baldwin has said we will be in a far better position next year, financially.

So why is after a loss so different to what the club has said for many months.

I dont get the crowd reference either, that's about our norm for playing Wimbledon isn't it?

Rotherham have had quite a successful last few years and on the back of a new stadium, like us crowds went up.

Again I don't get the comparisons.

Maybe others have spent more money and more risks but no doubt there will be some news of some of these clubs struggling to survive if it goes tits up.

Ours is to pay all our bills this year, caused by covid and they strong next year

I dont get the comparisons.

It's like nobody listens to anything the club say.

Yesterday was aweful to be fair, Wellens has said post match stick together as we will have more like that, that's fine with me, let's start building together and enjoy it, building from today to get stronger and better.

If all clubs in the league spent 40m quid still only so many can get promoted, all the rest would be bust.

Come on rovers

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on August 08, 2021, 07:40:25 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Thank you Baz.

My mention of the challenge wasn't some kind of attention seeking although it's a simple idea that is as relevant today as it was back inn the Championship days.

We have 6 and a half thousand fans tops according to the doom and gloom merchants. If each of those supporters invited just one friend to attend the next game we would jump to 13,000.

It would be brilliant if the club got behind a fresh challenge and it could be leveraged with perhaps a discount incentive price for the second ticket, or better still, over a series of 4 matches an increased incentive for multibuys.
Target these newbies with offers of 4, 8 or maybe 12 ticket offers, discounted sufficiently to get them attending regularly.

Make this available also to anyone who is on the database but hasn't purchased a ticket since 3 months before Covid.

Fill those empty seats at any cost, a full stadium lifts the team and makes he game day experience so much better.

Yes, the club can organise the challenge but it can only work if the fan base takes responsibility and participates in encouraging those missing supporters and plus it would require the moaners to play their part.

Totally agree with all that and I'm sure the club would be open to this and as you say, let's see how many Mr Gibson and redandwhite can attract.

Are you up for the challenge boys??

CoppsChop

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on August 08, 2021, 07:55:54 pm by CoppsChop »

Bloody hell. Are we going to have to put IMHO or Allegedly after everyone post now in order to satisfy the brown nosers on here.

The Watson family deserve our eternal gratitude but the business experience of the other board members are vaster and the wallet of Terry Bramall larger.

What skills did we lose when Andy Watson left that we did not have elsewhere?

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #86 on August 08, 2021, 08:01:13 pm by roversdude »
Value of the club must have gone up now there are  3 potential buyers, unless Michael Gibson, Since 1969 and RedandWhite are putting a bid in together

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on August 08, 2021, 08:08:33 pm by Donny Exile in York »

“ unthinkable and unacceptable” ??
It’s not that bad if you think about it….

With that sort of mindset i rest my case, clearly acceptable to some on here who see no issues with how we are 'progressing'.. and no guarantee we can bounce back as we did under Ferguson, but if you think about it, it will mean that since Blunt became Chairman, and JR stepped down, IF we do get relegated (and lets hope we don't), then it would be Zero promotions from league one, and two relegations from league one despite a five year plan for the championship... if you think about it....

But i do still have hope that Wellens can galvanise the squad, and develop them over the season and we can pick up results and get better, i do think we are in for a tough opening month or so looking at the fixtures though..
« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 08:13:53 pm by Donny Exile in York »

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on August 08, 2021, 08:34:02 pm by normal rules »
Here’s another reason crowds may be down. Some people just cannot get excited or be arsed with football anymore. 18 months away from grounds has given people opportunity to find something to do on Saturdays. Something else to spend their time and money on.
I may be wrong. I’m usually quite upbeat about the start of the football season, but I’m very ambivalent about it tbf.

Redandwhite

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on August 08, 2021, 08:49:45 pm by Redandwhite »
Thank you Baz.

It's a great idea, and your efforts are amazing .

However, do the club really want to do the legwork ? I just can't see it .

TinyPortal © 2005-2012