Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 14, 2024, 08:25:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: A New Chairman?...  (Read 3122 times)

chrisd_123

• Forum Member
Re: A New Chairman?...
« Reply #30 on September 01, 2021, 04:11:05 pm by chrisd_123 »
The talk of JR has got me thinking...Is our board too likeminded?

We all know how it ended with JR and he didn't do himself any justice with how he acted but do we need someone new in the mix who is similar (maybe not as brash) as he was?

We have Bramall, Blunt and Baldwin. None of which have a football background as far as I'm aware and all in the same mindset of sustainability - this isn't to say that's not the right way to go.

But do we need someone on the other side of the fence during these discussion. It seems now for the past four managers we've had it's been Board vs Manager. 3 vs 1.

I'm not saying we should be chucking millions and millions at things but who's playing the devils advocate at board level? Who's holding them to account for decisions or offering alternative views and suggestions? It appears (may not be correct but appears) that we just have three yes men who all agree on everything all the time.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on September 01, 2021, 04:14:05 pm by silent majority »
The talk of JR has got me thinking...Is our board too likeminded?

We all know how it ended with JR and he didn't do himself any justice with how he acted but do we need someone new in the mix who is similar (maybe not as brash) as he was?

We have Bramall, Blunt and Baldwin. None of which have a football background as far as I'm aware and all in the same mindset of sustainability - this isn't to say that's not the right way to go.

But do we need someone on the other side of the fence during these discussion. It seems now for the past four managers we've had it's been Board vs Manager. 3 vs 1.

I'm not saying we should be chucking millions and millions at things but who's playing the devils advocate at board level? Who's holding them to account for decisions or offering alternative views and suggestions? It appears (may not be correct but appears) that we just have three yes men who all agree on everything all the time.

Well it's never been board v manager, so the rest of your assumptions don't apply.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on September 01, 2021, 04:45:03 pm by Colin C No.3 »
Genuine Question: What is the job of a chairman?

Are we blinded by JR being our chairman for so long? He was a different breed in terms of being a fan first and foremost.

I think you put the question best in the other thread.

What is David Blunt doing on a day to day basis that is to the benefit of Doncaster Rovers / Club Doncaster?

Gavin Baldwin is getting pelters from people because he’s a public face, but when he speaks you can tell he wants to do the right thing for the club. Terry Bramall is getting pelters because people know his name and associate him with the purse strings, but without his financial input we’d struggle to even have a club.

David Blunt escapes the brunt of the criticism because people don’t know his name. But I’ll be honest, everything I do hear about his contribution towards the running of the football club is negative and is genuinely concerning. The word is that he is disengaged in the football side, objectionable towards the delivery of the football club’s goals and that these things are at the root of our slow (and at times absent) progress on transfers and contracts. That isn’t good enough for a chairman. He needs to be on board with the vision of the club, not disinterested or actively working against it.
Agree with all of the above.

The op says it all really. “I’m meeting with Gavin & Richie later on today”.

Not, “I’m meeting with DAVID, Gavin & Richie…”.

No aspersions cast your way Martin, but where is & what is The Chairman of our football club doing today that prevents him from meeting with ‘this group’ at a time when anyone who has their ‘finger on the pulse’ at this present time, must appreciate that the supporters will be given this opportunity, through you, to ask questions & many ‘uncomfortable’ ones at that!

Does he truly not see how his non appearance looks? No statement from him even?

TB needs to have a serious think about whether or not ‘his trusted friend’ knows what he is doing because from where I’m standing it looks as if our Football Club Chairman has brought a badminton raquette to a tennis game.

You did ask us not to rant SM (which I clearly have!), so can I simply ask, why is The Chairman not present to answer questions?

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on September 01, 2021, 06:06:08 pm by PDX_Rover »
Can we swap for Emily Blunt? Just because…

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on September 01, 2021, 06:41:48 pm by EasyforDennis »
Can we swap for Emily Blunt? Just because…

Maybe he was on the golf course?

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on September 01, 2021, 10:07:08 pm by BobG »
Silent Majority.....I dont see anything in life through rose tinted glasses and iam not a conspiracy theorist...As we all do in life, I'm sure John Ryan made mistakes but he had the best interests of the club at heart and that's why he was a good chairman.....If as others on this forum say, "John Ryan was spending Mr.Bramall's and Mr.Watson's money"......I'm sure that Mr.Bramall and Mr.Watson, would had given Mr.Ryan permission to spend it.....Am I right in saying that?....

No David. I accept that you dont see things through rose tinted specs and that you are not a conspiracy theorist either. But you are, if I may say so, remarkably ill informed about the role a Chairman plays.

And yes. John Ryan did spend money belonging to other people without their permission. That was precisely the reason why The Keepmoat Two pulled out at one point if you remember? It was the direct cause of the bust up between JR and the other two and it led to a schism in the Board that eventually resulted in JR leaving it.

Please David, stop seeing things that aren't there. And stop assuming things too. I'm sure you can contribute a helluva lot, but rubbish like this does nobody any favours.

Cheers

BobG

jamesrover17

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on September 01, 2021, 10:11:24 pm by jamesrover17 »
Pretty sure I have only ever seen Blunt when we appointed McCann and he kept waffling on about a 40% win rate off cue cards… Baldwin is definitely the face of the operation

TinyPortal © 2005-2012