Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 03:48:56 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Why isn't Doncaster a City & would DRFC benefit as a result  (Read 3525 times)

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
We have seen lots of mickey mouse places attain "City" status over the last 50 years

Q.1 why isn't Doncaster finally a City (hint ? "allegedly" without effort you get nowhere) and
Q.2 would City status benefit DRFC ?

Discuss

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

bedale rover

• VSC Member
Re: Why isn't Doncaster a City & would DRFC benefit as a result
« Reply #1 on September 13, 2021, 02:53:40 pm by bedale rover »
They have applied but didn't get chosen
This was about the time that Sunderland got the nod
It does cost money to apply

Not sure if any benefits for DRFC

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on September 13, 2021, 03:06:06 pm by since-1969 »
Don’t you have to have cathedral?

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on September 13, 2021, 03:06:37 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
They have applied but didn't get chosen
This was about the time that Sunderland got the nod
It does cost money to apply

Not sure if any benefits for DRFC

thanks for that they got it in 1992  that's 29 years ago

"It was granted city status in 1992, the 40th anniversary of Queen Elizabeth II's accession to the throne. The borough had a population of 275,400 at the time of the 2011 census, with the majority of the population (174,286) residing in Sunderland"

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on September 13, 2021, 03:12:04 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
Don’t you have to have cathedral?

i used to fall for that one

basically it seems it's down to the Queen (someone should remind her that her filly Dunfermline won the St. Leger) me thinks we are half way their already

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on September 13, 2021, 03:22:20 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Lost out to Preston one time too

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on September 13, 2021, 03:23:45 pm by Bentley Bullet »
 A Minster can be a Cathedral, York being a prime example, but this is not a requirement.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on September 13, 2021, 03:57:04 pm by wilts rover »
Dont see how the status of Doncaster would help Rovers?

It hasn't helped, Gloucester, St Albans, Bath or Truro for instance - or been much use to York or Notts County?

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on September 13, 2021, 04:52:22 pm by Wiltshire Exile »
How many would vote to change the club’s name from Rovers to Doncaster City?…thought not, me neither!

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on September 13, 2021, 05:12:26 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
You don't have to be a city to call your football team 'City'. Just ask Brechin! ;)

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on September 13, 2021, 05:24:58 pm by Dutch Uncle »
How many would vote to change the club’s name from Rovers to Doncaster City?…thought not, me neither!

Swansea Town did in 1969.

Of course Town was technically no longer valid name for them, while Rovers would still be OK for a city (e.g. Bristol)

And although Swansea City did reach the old Division 1 in 1981 they fell back quickly and in 2003 had to win their last match to avoid dropping into the Conference, the same season we won the playoff final. The last 10 years have been their best years in their history - so that suggests no real immediate boost from being a City.

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on September 13, 2021, 05:31:48 pm by Wiltshire Exile »

Swansea Town did in 1969.

Of course Town was technically no longer valid name for them, while Rovers would still be OK for a city (e.g. Bristol)

And although Swansea City did reach the old Division 1 in 1981 they fell back quickly and in 2003 had to win their last match to avoid dropping into the Conference, the same season we won the playoff final. The last 10 years have been their best years in their history - so that suggests no real immediate boost from being a City.

Nice one, Dutch!

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on September 13, 2021, 05:58:44 pm by scawsby steve »
A Minster can be a Cathedral, York being a prime example, but this is not a requirement.

Isn't St George's Church now known as Doncaster Minster?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on September 13, 2021, 06:41:29 pm by drfchound »

It is indeed SS and has been for quite a while now.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on September 13, 2021, 06:54:27 pm by Bentley Bullet »

It is indeed SS and has been for quite a while now.

Yes, it was Doncaster Minster that I was referring to.

3b4eight

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on September 13, 2021, 07:13:16 pm by 3b4eight »
wasn't there talk, at the time of Sunderland "getting the nod" that we would never get it, because of the "dodgey" reputation of Doncaster councillors? :chair:

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on September 13, 2021, 07:58:07 pm by Colemans Left Hook »

stay focused we all know Doncaster is a railway "town"  so no need to deliberately "de-rail" the thread with sillyness

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on September 13, 2021, 08:04:57 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
a few clues here as to what goes on from a Brighton point of view

"Why is Brighton a City?

So, the question then becomes, “why is Brighton a city?” Well, for the year 2000, it was decided that every town with ambitions to become a city could apply to be one.

Blackburn, Blackpool, Brighton & Hove, Bolton, Chelmsford, Colchester, Croydon, Darwen, Doncaster, Dover, Greenwich, Guildford, Inverness, Ipswich, Luton, Maidstone, Med, Milton Keynes, Northampton, Reading, Shrewsbury and Atcham, Southend-on-Sea, Stockport, Swindon, Telford, Warrington, Wirral and Wolverhampton all quickly sent in their applications to become cities.

They were judged, apparently, on their merits in three areas: notable features, historic and/or royal features and their “forward-looking attitude”. That third category seems to be one of those neatly unquantifiable things that British bureaucracy absolutely loves to use so they can stamp, “computer says no” on things.

This process took place again in the year 2012 for the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee. Interestingly, the three cities chosen in 2012, Chelmsford, St Asaph and Perth, had not applied in the year 2000."

Presumably when the Queen makes 100 will be the next time to apply ?

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on September 13, 2021, 08:10:53 pm by colincramb »
I believe there is a further application being prepared for next years jubilee where again city status can be awarded. Sure I saw something about DMBC doing a feasibility into this a while back in the free press

hstripes

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on September 13, 2021, 08:15:22 pm by hstripes »
Being a cynic I'd suggest one of the main reasons Doncaster is not a city in spite of it's size and relative importance is due to the fact that historically the parliamentary constituencies in the borough have been safe seats.

Perhaps the results from the last General Election in each of town's seats may boost our chances of gaining much deserved city status.

Impact on the Rovers from such a thing happening: negligible in my view.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on September 13, 2021, 08:20:08 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Presumably when the Queen makes 100 will be the next time to apply ?

2012 is Platinum Jubilee year.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on September 18, 2021, 12:36:39 am by River Don »
f**k it,

Doncaster is a big place. In some ways it's better to be a big fish in a small pond. Maybe being the biggest town in the country is better?

Mayb being absurdly big as a town could be a great way to market the place?

What benefit does city status bring?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 12:50:05 am by River Don »

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on September 18, 2021, 06:17:44 am by Donnywolf »
Being a cynic I'd suggest one of the main reasons Doncaster is not a city in spite of it's size and relative importance is due to the fact that historically the parliamentary constituencies in the borough have been safe seats.

Perhaps the results from the last General Election in each of town's seats may boost our chances of gaining much deserved city status.

Agree - Hull was a City that didnt have a top flight Team for the first 104 years of existence. Bradford City have "just" an FA Cup Final win in 1911  and 2 Seasons in Prem for their 118 years so that shows that being a City doesnt in every case mean automatic glory for a Club from that City

I think there is no doubt though that a Team being a success DOES benefit [somtimes only temporarily] its area be that a Town or City, as Hull the place was massivly boosted when The Tigers hit the Prem for that time

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on September 18, 2021, 10:21:28 am by SydneyRover »
Would it mean a name change Donny City Rovers?

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on September 18, 2021, 10:34:32 am by Janso »
Would it mean a name change Donny City Rovers?

Leave it a few decades, then when the North Sea rocks up at Donny, we can be the... Bay City Rollers.

:coat:

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on September 18, 2021, 11:02:11 am by SydneyRover »
Game on then, we have a Naming Competition.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on September 18, 2021, 03:54:32 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Agree - Hull was a City that didnt have a top flight Team for the first 104 years of existence. Bradford City have "just" an FA Cup Final win in 1911  and 2 Seasons in Prem for their 118 years so that shows that being a City doesnt in every case mean automatic glory for a Club from that City

I think there is no doubt though that a Team being a success DOES benefit [somtimes only temporarily] its area be that a Town or City, as Hull the place was massivly boosted when The Tigers hit the Prem for that time

Bradford had quite a few seasons in the top flight apart from the two in the Premier. They were in the top flight when they won the cup.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on September 18, 2021, 04:01:22 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Chelmsford has been Conservative since 1950 and it didn't seem to stop them getting City status last time round.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on September 19, 2021, 04:26:05 am by SydneyRover »
Look if anyone really wants this city thingy it's selby and bb that have the ear of government surely, having supported them faithfully without question, never shying away from rushing to their defence, never caring about their own reputation or sanity, I'm surprised that they didn't get a call in the reshuffle, maybe it they are on the honours list.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on September 19, 2021, 09:26:24 am by Bentley Bullet »
Donnygate didn't help the town's prospects of city status. Those good old, trustworthy, honest, salt of the earth labour councillors should have been transported to Australia for what they did.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012