Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:38:09 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Trump and democracy  (Read 52594 times)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: Trump and democracy
« Reply #840 on February 12, 2021, 11:57:19 am by Filo »
https://www.businessinsider.com/3-gop-senators-met-trump-lawyers-day-before-defense-presentation-2021-2

How impartial can these three members of the Senate (jury) be when they are meeting with the defence team? Democracy has already died in America

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #841 on February 12, 2021, 09:58:47 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
https://mobile.twitter.com/StefSimanowitz/status/1359599683191062530

Bothsidesism. Being used to excuse voting to acquit Trump.

Of course, only one side has actually stormed the Capitol building after being invited by their President, a narcissistic, amoral, criminal man-child.

But yeah. Both sides are as bad as each other.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #842 on February 13, 2021, 09:21:16 pm by drfchound »
Trump acquitted.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #843 on February 13, 2021, 09:35:34 pm by Filo »
I’ve just watched Mitch McConnell vote to acquit Trump and then make a speech saying Trump was Guilty, how f**ked up are things over there?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #844 on February 13, 2021, 11:12:42 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
McConnell said that Trump was "morally and practically responsible" for the insurrection. But said he voted against the impeachment because it was unconstitutional as Trump is no longer President.

That's a fair and honest position to take I suppo...

Except. Hang on.

Five weeks ago, when Trump still was President and McConnell was in charge of the Senate, McConnell blocked moves to hold the impeachment hearing before Trump's term finished, saying it wasn't the time.

The man is beneath disgusting. He has just deliberately organised a process to allow a President to get off scot free with inciting a mob to invade the Capitol to stop the legal process of confirming an election.

It is a long, long way back for America out of this pit.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #845 on February 14, 2021, 08:03:10 am by Filo »
McConnell said that Trump was "morally and practically responsible" for the insurrection. But said he voted against the impeachment because it was unconstitutional as Trump is no longer President.

That's a fair and honest position to take I suppo...

Except. Hang on.

Five weeks ago, when Trump still was President and McConnell was in charge of the Senate, McConnell blocked moves to hold the impeachment hearing before Trump's term finished, saying it wasn't the time.

The man is beneath disgusting. He has just deliberately organised a process to allow a President to get off scot free with inciting a mob to invade the Capitol to stop the legal process of confirming an election.

It is a long, long way back for America out of this pit.

But the Senate voted a week ago that it was constitutional

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #846 on February 14, 2021, 08:14:05 am by SydneyRover »
And now McConnell is saying trump is not in the clear yet and could be subject to prosecution, so one could possibly read from that that he didn't want an impeached president on the republican books.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #847 on February 14, 2021, 10:19:32 am by tyke1962 »
I'm kind of torn on this , there's no doubt he's got away with it and its made a mockery of the US justice system if there ever was such a thing .

However there was also a danger that you could make a martyr out of Trump and more fuel is added to the fire .

Either way it's not good , not good at all .

It's seems an almost impossible task to  fix the US to tell the truth .

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #848 on February 14, 2021, 11:00:19 am by SydneyRover »
trump has burnt a few relationships getting thus far and when those charged with insurrection get in front of the beak and trump won't/can't help them he'll lose a few more. It may fall in a heap for republicans if he forms a new party and splits the vote, I can't see the same sort of numbers following him as an independent especially as lots of republicans will be working against him, I hope it burns him up and out.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #849 on February 14, 2021, 11:22:58 am by Filo »
Imagine being sat in a prison cell now, thinking you were carrying out your presidents orders, facing many years in prison, and seeing what you thought was your president, and had your back, abandon you. But then again if you are too stupid to realise that would happen, then you have probably got what you deserved

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #850 on February 14, 2021, 03:35:26 pm by Dutch Uncle »
I'm kind of torn on this , there's no doubt he's got away with it and its made a mockery of the US justice system if there ever was such a thing .

However there was also a danger that you could make a martyr out of Trump and more fuel is added to the fire .

Either way it's not good , not good at all .

It's seems an almost impossible task to  fix the US to tell the truth .

Don't think that's quite right Tyke.

Certainly Trump has made a mockery of the Capitol political processes to discipline their own, but I believe the US Justice system has had to wait and is now going to get its chance. Hopefully it will be more successful.

But you are right that the political and society divisions in the US are greater than ever

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #851 on February 14, 2021, 09:58:57 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Good to see our PM getting this impeachment "kerfuffle" in perspective.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56061624

Nothing much to worry about, according to Johnson. That's the Johnson who once said Trump deserved a Nobel Peace Prize of course. So he clearly knows his shite on the topic.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #852 on February 15, 2021, 09:49:06 pm by belton rover »
It’s good to read in that article that both Biden and Johnson are looking forward to a strong relationship. It’s also encouraging to read that democracy appears to have shone through despite Trump’s best attempts to destroy it.
All in all, a really positive article - here’s to a better future for America and for strong relationships between us.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #853 on February 15, 2021, 09:51:21 pm by drfchound »
Good to read something positive on this thread Belton.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #854 on May 10, 2021, 04:30:44 am by SydneyRover »
I see the GoP are clinging to the coat tails trump for their very existence and are ousting anyone that would dare to speak the truth. Have they no pride, no conscience, no idea?

''Republicans gear up to oust Liz Cheney as punishment for criticizing Trump
Goaded on by the ghostly figure of Trump, House Republicans are poised to eject Cheney from her number three leadership post''

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/may/09/liz-cheney-trump-republicans

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #855 on May 31, 2021, 11:34:57 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
And so it goes on. The American batshit right openly undermining democracy. Here's Michael Flynn, ex General and Trump's sometime national security adviser saying they should have a Myanmar-style military coup.

Echoing QAnon forums, Michael Flynn appears to suggest a Myanmar-style coup should happen in the...
cnn.com

Oh aye. And the media so scared of calling out fascists as fascists that they say he "appears" to say what he actually said.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #856 on June 01, 2021, 11:16:46 am by Glyn_Wigley »
And so it goes on. The American batshit right openly undermining democracy. Here's Michael Flynn, ex General and Trump's sometime national security adviser saying they should have a Myanmar-style military coup.

Echoing QAnon forums, Michael Flynn appears to suggest a Myanmar-style coup should happen in the...
cnn.com

Oh aye. And the media so scared of calling out fascists as fascists that they say he "appears" to say what he actually said.

Have you seen what the Texas Republicans have been trying to do to make it harder to vote, and how the Democrats were creative in stopping them?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #859 on July 31, 2021, 12:58:04 am by SydneyRover »
Hopefully another few nails in the coffin

''Double trouble for Donald Trump. The US Department of Justice has ordered the Internal Revenue Service to hand over his tax returns to a House committee, saying the panel has invoked “sufficient reasons” for requesting it.

There are also further developments in the saga of Trump’s attempt to overturn his election defeat by Joe Biden, in the shape of the news that Trump pressured top justice department officials to falsely claim the 2020 election was corrupt so he and his allies in Congress could subvert the results and return him to office, according to newly released memos''

pass me the nail gun please

The Guardian US live

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #860 on September 15, 2021, 01:08:18 am by BillyStubbsTears »
So a year or so ago, I was posting in here about how deranged Trump was and how his behaviour threatened peace and democracy. I was saying that his actions were the sort of thing that could lead to civil war. I was saying that I'd be amazed if senior military staff weren't considering what to do if he ordered a nuclear attack.

And I was told by some folk in here that was a ridiculous over exaggeration.

Well we know that after his election loss, his supporters invaded the Capitol, some of them with the express intention of killing senators who had voted to accept the election result. Success in that sort of putsch is precisely how civil wars start.

But surely I was exaggerating when I said senior military figures would have plans to stop Trump firing nukes?

Apparently not.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/09/14/politics/woodward-book-trump-nuclear/index.html

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #861 on September 15, 2021, 10:59:16 am by Glyn_Wigley »
Watch out for September 18th at the Capitol: 'Justice For J6' rally: Insurrection 2.

Coming to your reality soon.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #862 on September 15, 2021, 11:04:23 am by SydneyRover »
I think following the jailing of some I think we will see a better behaved bunch this time around Glyn

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #863 on September 15, 2021, 12:13:09 pm by belton rover »
So a year or so ago, I was posting in here about how deranged Trump was and how his behaviour threatened peace and democracy. I was saying that his actions were the sort of thing that could lead to civil war. I was saying that I'd be amazed if senior military staff weren't considering what to do if he ordered a nuclear attack.

And I was told by some folk in here that was a ridiculous over exaggeration.

Well we know that after his election loss, his supporters invaded the Capitol, some of them with the express intention of killing senators who had voted to accept the election result. Success in that sort of putsch is precisely how civil wars start.

But surely I was exaggerating when I said senior military figures would have plans to stop Trump firing nukes?

Apparently not.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/09/14/politics/woodward-book-trump-nuclear/index.html

Billy. Your shameless scaremongering proved to be virtually fruitless. You were very wrong about what would happen. I’d forgotten you were wrong but now you’ve reminded me again. Your desperation to falsely show how right you are all the time is embarrassing.
Stop.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #864 on September 15, 2021, 12:39:18 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
I think following the jailing of some I think we will see a better behaved bunch this time around Glyn

The rally is all about freeing those in jail because they believe they're wrongly imprisoned ('Justice for J6') so I doubt that they'll worry about it for themselves.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012