Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 03:41:45 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: We won but……  (Read 8088 times)

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
Re: We won but……
« Reply #60 on September 19, 2021, 08:43:56 am by Herbert Anchovy »
The point is this

We have had weeks and weeks of doom moongers, WUMS and others pointing out how shit the team is, how shit the board is, etc.. and some of them seem to be pointing it out with a great degree of satisfaction, despite their protests to the opposite. Now that we’ve actually won a game our resident killjoys cannot wait to point out that “ah we won but we are still shit!”

I know we aren’t very good this season. We all do. But when we do win let’s just enjoy it and marvel in an unspoilt weekend for a change! I certainly don’t need anyone to tell me how bad we are this season but I ask, nay plead, with those desperate to remind me of this to just show a little self control and humanity and to control your urge to put a dampener on everything…,just for a bit. Then, I promise that you can spend the rest of the week reminding me how crap the club is and how you know better because you did really well on Football Manager on your Atari back in the 90’s. Please, please let me enjoy the unfamiliar glow of a victory for a little while before you extinguish it with your cynical attempt to bring me back to earth with an almighty crash? Please???

Be happy. We won.

I started this thread, I’m not one of our resident killjoys, and take issue with your assumption!

I know you started the thread, but I’m not responding to your OP (already done that). I’m making a general point that in a season where victories aren’t going to happen very often, we should take the time to enjoy them however they occur rather than dissect the performance and conclude yet again that it was shit. Just for a bit.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 08:46:07 am by Herbert Anchovy »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on September 19, 2021, 08:48:35 am by Campsall rover »
We struggled to beat a team that will finish 2nd bottom of the league. Great win.
Who is going to finish bottom?

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on September 19, 2021, 09:06:55 am by StocksArmy »
Its the posters who post comments like "be happy weve won because we wont win many" who are the real doomsters. How is that more positive than somebody who criticizes this one particular performance? We were shocking today but we still wont be in a relegation battle. Especially when we add to the squad again in January. I think our season will be a lot like Burtons last year.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on September 19, 2021, 09:23:02 am by Jonathan »
I think it just gets exhausting sometimes. You just know there are people waiting to start posting about how such and such a result isn’t actually that good as our opponents were in relegation form for the last six games other than one result. Or that our points per game against teams from the ‘top whatever’ mean that we’re doomed and will need to achieve play off form for the rest of the season to stay up, and switch that to automatic promotion form if we fail to beat the string of opponents that we’d be expected to beat based on another statistic. It gets tiring and deflating when you just want to be happy that we won.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 09:57:03 am by Jonathan »

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on September 19, 2021, 09:47:50 am by Herbert Anchovy »
Its the posters who post comments like "be happy weve won because we wont win many" who are the real doomsters. How is that more positive than somebody who criticizes this one particular performance? We were shocking today but we still wont be in a relegation battle. Especially when we add to the squad again in January. I think our season will be a lot like Burtons last year.

But it’s not just criticising one particular performance though is it? It’s the constant drip feed of negativity and criticism on this forum about everything! Our complainers grumble about everything from the team to the standard of chips sold at the ground! It’s get a bit boo after a while. When we do win (which after all is the whole point) we are still reminded by some individuals that we’re rubbish!

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on September 19, 2021, 09:54:16 am by SydneyRover »
You just have to be pleased for the team, if some supporters think they are doing it tough imagine what it's like to know you're not playing well but have to keep turning out, the crowds are not happy the coach thinks you should be doing better .............. etc

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on September 19, 2021, 10:10:17 am by colincramb »

But it’s not just criticising one particular performance though is it? It’s the constant drip feed of negativity and criticism on this forum about everything! Our complainers grumble about everything from the team to the standard of chips sold at the ground! It’s get a bit boo after a while. When we do win (which after all is the whole point) we are still reminded by some individuals that we’re rubbish!

I’ve never criticised the standard of chips, or much else about the club from a non playing perspective. I have stated countless times on this thread (including my opening comment) that the fact we won was the most important thing.

The fact I’ve commented that the win came with a mostly abysmal performance for large parts of game is my absolute right.

I tell ya what, next time we win a game, regardless of the performance, I’ll just comment that it was good we won so you can enjoy your little moment.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on September 19, 2021, 10:16:43 am by Jonathan »

I’ve never criticised the standard of chips, or much else about the club from a non playing perspective. I have stated countless times on this thread (including my opening comment) that the fact we won was the most important thing.

The fact I’ve commented that the win came with a mostly abysmal performance for large parts of game is my absolute right.

I tell ya what, next time we win a game, regardless of the performance, I’ll just comment that it was good we won so you can enjoy your little moment.

I think everyone can see that there is still a lot of work to do to reach the performance level that we want and need to. Absolutely nobody is hailing yesterday as flawless.

But are you honestly saying you cannot see it from the perspective of supporters that have been worn out by the negativity? We’ve had a rotten start to the season. There’s been so much to moan about, so much to feel down about. Yesterday we got a win that we desperately needed. Now you may be of the mindset that you think you need to highlight the many things wrong with it, perhaps so we all know you weren’t getting carried away (heaven forbid). But are you honestly unable to see why other people may feel a little bit deflated by continual moaning, when they just wanted to share in a momentary feeling of huge relief before everything reverts to type?

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on September 19, 2021, 10:19:35 am by Herbert Anchovy »

You need to wind your neck in a bit son. As far as I’m aware I’ve not mentioned you in any comment. Youre making the assumption that my comments are directed at you when in fact they are comments about the general persistent negative attitude that’s constantly displayed on here even when we win.

I certainly don’t need someone like you to give me my moment fella.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #69 on September 19, 2021, 12:15:13 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I think it just gets exhausting sometimes. You just know there are people waiting to start posting about how such and such a result isn’t actually that good as our opponents were in relegation form for the last six games other than one result. Or that our points per game against teams from the ‘top whatever’ mean that we’re doomed and will need to achieve play off form for the rest of the season to stay up, and switch that to automatic promotion form if we fail to beat the string of opponents that we’d be expected to beat based on another statistic. It gets tiring and deflating when you just want to be happy that we won.
Jonathan.

Since that's clearly me you are referring to, why not just save yourself the aggro and not read my posts? It's your choice.

If you ARE going to carry one reading them, here's a thought. A decade and a half ago, we were arguing about O'Driscoll in his early days. You were right on that one. I was wrong. You might recall that he regularly used to say (and it tweaked my nose at the time but I came to understand it) that results were not as important as performances.

I suspect if he was posting under a pseudonym on this thread, you'd be laying into him.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 12:50:53 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on September 19, 2021, 01:05:42 pm by Lesonthewest »
The point is this

We have had weeks and weeks of doom moongers, WUMS and others pointing out how shit the team is, how shit the board is, etc.. and some of them seem to be pointing it out with a great degree of satisfaction, despite their protests to the opposite. Now that we’ve actually won a game our resident killjoys cannot wait to point out that “ah we won but we are still shit!”

I know we aren’t very good this season. We all do. But when we do win let’s just enjoy it and marvel in an unspoilt weekend for a change! I certainly don’t need anyone to tell me how bad we are this season but I ask, nay plead, with those desperate to remind me of this to just show a little self control and humanity and to control your urge to put a dampener on everything…,just for a bit. Then, I promise that you can spend the rest of the week reminding me how crap the club is and how you know better because you did really well on Football Manager on your Atari back in the 90’s. Please, please let me enjoy the unfamiliar glow of a victory for a little while before you extinguish it with your cynical attempt to bring me back to earth with an almighty crash? Please???

Be happy. We won.

It’s a forum to discuss football, and our performances. If it bothers you that much that some are analysing the performance and concluding it actually wasn’t very good, then don’t look. Get a grip ffs
[/quote

Agreed, firstly I am as chuffed as anyone for the win & the 3 points, & I came out of the ground with a big smile on my face. However, the performance was awful, boring, & lacked any kind of excitement or good attacking play. Not a moan, as  some posters blame other posters for, making comments on their opinions on the game. They're comments on what they have seen, not moaning for moanings sake. Great 3 points, still smiling.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on September 19, 2021, 01:08:57 pm by Lesonthewest »
The point is this

Be happy. We won.

I started this thread, I’m not one of our resident killjoys, and take issue with your assumption!

I know you started the thread, but I’m not responding to your OP (already done that). I’m making a general point that in a season where victories aren’t going to happen very often, we should take the time to enjoy them however they occur rather than dissect the performance and conclude yet again that it was shit. Just for a bit.

So what we are saying is we just enjoy the win (which I still am), but not comment on the performance. This is a forum is it not.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on September 19, 2021, 01:14:05 pm by Lesonthewest »

What I've read on here is comments how poor performance yesterday was, which is true in my opinion, if people get vilified for their opinions on the game, what's the point. I also repeat  great 3 points.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on September 19, 2021, 01:16:38 pm by Lesonthewest »

What some don't realise in saying 'be happy is that they already are, just want to comment on the game, is it allowed?

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #74 on September 19, 2021, 01:20:35 pm by Lesonthewest »

Yes, woe be tired if your not happy, oh & sshhh, don't mention the performance.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on September 19, 2021, 02:47:45 pm by Herbert Anchovy »

What I've read on here is comments how poor performance yesterday was, which is true in my opinion, if people get vilified for their opinions on the game, what's the point. I also repeat  great 3 points.

Don’t get your knickers in a twist Les, nobody is saying that you can’t post what you want. However, if you’re willing to express that opinion on a public forum then you’ve got to expect that opinion to be challenged.

Nobody is saying that it was a vintage performance, nobody is saying everything is fine. We all understand that we have problems, but it’s incredibly tiresome that even after the win, the instinct is to immediately point out how shit we are rather than just enjoy the 3 points for a wee while.

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #76 on September 20, 2021, 09:17:11 am by StocksArmy »
I think its because there were a fair few negatives that came out of the game that overshadowed the actual result which is the most important thing. Im sure if that result had came at a point where we had been on a 10 game winning run scoring goals for fun then it would be celebrated a lot more. Its important not thatthe players take confidence from the result and if they do read the criticism on the forums use it to prove us wrong. Every person on this forum has dwelled on the poor results and then theres a divide because some arent jumping for joy when we win. We need to just see it for what it is now and that is the much needed 3pts.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on September 20, 2021, 10:40:34 am by The Red Baron »
Filo, was going to post the same. I brought a neutral with me today, needless to say he won’t be back. Boring doesn’t come close.

A win is a win and we needed that badly, but my lord it was turgid. Hopefully the win will inspire some kind of confidence but no way can we think we are anywhere near sorting our problems out with that kind of performance

I have to say I found it quite entertaining, but then again I had a very large dog in the fight. It would be a hard watch for a neutral,  especially if he is used to Premier League football.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on September 20, 2021, 10:47:51 am by GazLaz »
We didn’t play well but we won. On another day we wouldn’t have won. We didn’t create nearly enough against one of the worst teams in L1.

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on September 20, 2021, 12:23:59 pm by The Beast »
We didn’t play well but we won. On another day we wouldn’t have won. We didn’t create nearly enough against one of the worst teams in L1.
The sign of a good team, is a team that can play badly and still win.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on September 20, 2021, 02:30:17 pm by GazLaz »
The sign of a good team, is a team that can play badly and still win.

It’s also a sign of variance.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #81 on September 20, 2021, 04:03:53 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
The sign of a good team is that it usually plays well and wins, and occasionally plays badly and still grinds out a win.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on September 20, 2021, 05:59:37 pm by Janso »

If I'd not pulled my pants down before I started laying cable I'd have shat myself. We won, no point fretting about what might have been.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on September 20, 2021, 06:37:52 pm by Jonathan »
Thankfully we won the game and the performance of our team doesn’t yet warrant comment as we’re still bedding in

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on September 20, 2021, 08:36:40 pm by GazLaz »

If I'd not pulled my pants down before I started laying cable I'd have shat myself. We won, no point fretting about what might have been.

Hope the manager doesn’t think in the same way or we will get relegated.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #85 on September 20, 2021, 08:39:16 pm by Lesonthewest »

Don’t get your knickers in a twist Les, nobody is saying that you can’t post what you want. However, if you’re willing to express that opinion on a public forum then you’ve got to expect that opinion to be challenged.

Nobody is saying that it was a vintage performance, nobody is saying everything is fine. We all understand that we have problems, but it’s incredibly tiresome that even after the win, the instinct is to immediately point out how shit we are rather than just enjoy the 3 points for a wee while.

Easy Herbert, people will comment on their take on the game, but if you find it tiresome then surely that's your problem, this is a forum after all. Nobody has a problem with debate, but your not really challenging their views are you by saying it wasn't a vintage performance, your just really saying it's tiresome. As for enjoying the 3 points, I did all weekend. Also pointing out we were shit immediately after the game? What would you like them to do, wait while Monday.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on September 20, 2021, 09:09:02 pm by Padge_DRFC »
We won, but we were much better against Portsmouth.

Reason Bostock played and this allowed Galbraith and Close to play further forward. I also think it works better. Smith not for me so far. Was awful v Wigan in the advanced role and wasn't much better v Morecambe

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on September 20, 2021, 09:34:47 pm by Janso »

Hope the manager doesn’t think in the same way or we will get relegated.

I would be very concerned if he did. Thankfully, neither of us are the manager.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #88 on September 20, 2021, 10:55:46 pm by SydneyRover »
''but if you find it tiresome then surely that's your problem, this is a forum after all. Nobody has a problem with debate''

put this one away for a rainy day ................

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on September 21, 2021, 01:39:28 am by Bailey Vickerage »
We won, but we were much better against Portsmouth.

Reason Bostock played and this allowed Galbraith and Close to play further forward. I also think it works better. Smith not for me so far. Was awful v Wigan in the advanced role and wasn't much better v Morecambe
I actually thought smith played well on Saturday, been poor in most games I’ve seen of him so far but I thought against Morecambe he pressed really and won the ball high up the pitch several times. Wellens has also said that he is still not fully upto speed after suffering from covid so hopefully he will only get better.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012