Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:23:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: ? Driving to Plymouth  (Read 2018 times)

Scooter

• VSC Member
? Driving to Plymouth
« on September 19, 2021, 07:22:11 pm by Scooter »
I am considering going to Plymouth on Saturday as I have never been before and I’d like to tick the ground off my list.
For those that have done it before would you recommend it? I know it is a long drive but is it a decent one? Is there parking at the ground?
And advice welcome please

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Janso

• Forum Member
Re: ? Driving to Plymouth
« Reply #1 on September 19, 2021, 07:36:08 pm by Janso »
Done it before, it's fine. Set off nice and early, motorway to yourself. The worst part in terms of feeling your soul falling apart is the part where you're basically driving sideways across England before heading south again.

Plenty of parking, the ground's car park is free as well.

You won't get home until about midnight, 11pm on a good run, just plan your breaks and it'll be a good day out.

Also, on the roads in Devon, if your car has a limiter thing then use it - I've heard a lot of people say how particularly strict they are on people that even go a mile or two per hour over the limit.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on September 19, 2021, 07:41:20 pm by Filo »
M5 all the way to Exeter, then A38 to plymouth, it can get busy on the M5 around Bristol, a decent service station to stop is Gloucester, about halfway

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on September 19, 2021, 08:06:10 pm by tyke1962 »
I've been five times and if you just go to the match you are missing out on so much in my opinion .

It's definitely worth staying over in my opinion because it's a lovely city to visit by the sea .

Unusually I've personally found none too many boozers around Home Park in a city centre full of good places to drink .

Definitely too good an away day just to go to the match and nowt much else .

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on September 19, 2021, 09:33:18 pm by wilts rover »
Make sure you set off early if it looks good weather. The M5 past Bristol will be packed with people on a late jolly to the coast - it usually is. Some overnight closures if you are setting of back late:
https://www.trafficdelays.co.uk/m5-travel-news/

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on September 19, 2021, 09:52:24 pm by rich1471 »
I am considering going to Plymouth on Saturday as I have never been before and I’d like to tick the ground off my list.
For those that have done it before would you recommend it? I know it is a long drive but is it a decent one? Is there parking at the ground?
Drove before to Plymouth and stayed in Torquay Saturday night , know way can you do it their and back in a day trust me

Martyn1968

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on September 19, 2021, 10:08:15 pm by Martyn1968 »
Stay overnight and go drinking around the Barbican. Lovely place for food and drink.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on September 19, 2021, 10:36:26 pm by adamtherover »
we went to St Ives a month ago, only 50 miles further,. 8 hrs getting there,  11 hrs coming back.. good luck..!!

Scooter

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on September 19, 2021, 11:27:17 pm by Scooter »
Thanks everyone. If I do go it will defo have to be there and back in a day. I have family and work commitments so can’t stop overnight.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on September 19, 2021, 11:50:45 pm by Janso »
Drove before to Plymouth and stayed in Torquay Saturday night , know way can you do it their and back in a day trust me

I've done it. It's doable in a day.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on September 20, 2021, 08:30:32 am by adamtherover »
you can drive a long way in 24 hrs, whether or not you would want to, is a different matter...

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on September 20, 2021, 08:37:03 am by Campsall rover »
It’s never as far back when we have won.  ;) 

Enjoy the day Scooter and bring us back those 3 points please.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on September 20, 2021, 08:42:44 am by Donnywolf »

Are you able to use Supporters Club Coach ?

Drive to ground and have relaxed drive there and back with no stress apart from the renditions of Baby Shark

Also you can choose to sleep none,some or all way home

Thanks everyone. If I do go it will defo have to be there and back in a day. I have family and work commitments so can’t stop overnight.

ScillyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on September 20, 2021, 09:02:02 am by ScillyRover »
I used to make very regular car journeys from Donny to Penzance before we moved to the Isles of Scilly. If at all possible, I would consider travelling down on Friday night. Much less traffic and should take less than six hours. If you leave it later you will undoubtedly get caught up in jams due to folk heading on holiday. Likewise on the return journey if you can’t stay overnight. Set off later in the evening. And don’t forget to take regular breaks/stops and a gallon of coffee! Enjoy the trip. This would have been a ‘home’ game for me in the past but I now live in Portugal, so it’s iFollow for me.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 09:04:38 am by ScillyRover »

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on September 20, 2021, 09:17:39 am by DonnyOsmond »
I did the trip down to Devon the other week and took about 9 hours. Spent an hour and a half getting from one side of Bristol on the M5 to the other!

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on September 20, 2021, 11:48:58 am by DMnumber4 »
Worst bit is getting to Exeter to find out you've got another hour to go!

Scooter

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on September 20, 2021, 12:30:04 pm by Scooter »

Are you able to use Supporters Club Coach ?

Drive to ground and have relaxed drive there and back with no stress apart from the renditions of Baby Shark

Also you can choose to sleep none,some or all way home

I did consider the coach although my son is just finishing a period of isolation following a positive covid test. I thought I would play safe and drive. Also we can stop when and where we want then

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on September 20, 2021, 12:31:45 pm by normal rules »
I would second the earlier comment. If you have the time get down there for a Friday night out. Make your way to Union St, some good watering holes. Some not so too.
Around the Barbican is nice also. If you are into naval history there are some cracking old maritime boozers around stone house barracks, where the hq squadron of 3 cdo bde used to be based.

auckleyflyer

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on September 20, 2021, 03:30:58 pm by auckleyflyer »
Still do this run regularly, st Austell to Donny. Saturday is holiday change over day so avoid. M5 11am to 4pm.
Birmingham and Bristol are the pinch points you don't want to be at either during rush hrs.
335miles for me done it 80+ times. Worst 10hrs best 4h30m. I'll be going to this. Nice ground and surrounding area. This time of year make a wkend of it ??

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on September 20, 2021, 03:42:15 pm by Filo »
Still do this run regularly, st Austell to Donny. Saturday is holiday change over day so avoid. M5 11am to 4pm.
Birmingham and Bristol are the pinch points you don't want to be at either during rush hrs.
335miles for me done it 80+ times. Worst 10hrs best 4h30m. I'll be going to this. Nice ground and surrounding area. This time of year make a wkend of it ??

2 years ago I did Stainy to Pentewen Sands St Austell in 6.5 hours and that included a 20 minute stop setting off at 6:30am towing a caravan

auckleyflyer

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on September 20, 2021, 03:49:16 pm by auckleyflyer »

2 years ago I did Stainy to Pentewen Sands St Austell in 6.5 hours and that included a 20 minute stop setting off at 6:30am towing a caravan
Filo, can remember you saying that you were coming to pentewen it's a nice site. My daughter worked the summer there this year, been madness with all the staycationing !!

donny dave

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on September 20, 2021, 03:54:53 pm by donny dave »
I work in Plymouth and do this trip often.The hold ups are around Birmingham and Bristol.. on a good trip with a quick toilet break you should do it in under 5 hours,but it can be a pain in heavy be traffic.
There is parking at the ground.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 04:48:39 pm by donny dave »

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on September 20, 2021, 03:58:14 pm by Filo »

Filo, can remember you saying that you were coming to pentewen it's a nice site. My daughter worked the summer there this year, been madness with all the staycationing !!

Lovely site, right on the beach, TV reception was shit though, so ended up going to a tv ariel shop in St Austell and he sorted me with a sattelite dish

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on September 20, 2021, 04:42:48 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
Hats off to Scooter or anyone else travelling down to the janners. Having lived down in Cornwall for a while i have a particular hatred for the hell road that is the M5.

Took me over 8 hours on a Saturday this July to just to get to Tiverton.

I echo auckley flyer. Avoid Brum and Bristol at 11 ish and 4ish and you give yersen half a chance.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012