Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:12:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Absolutely Devastated  (Read 7455 times)

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
Absolutely Devastated
« on September 25, 2021, 05:33:17 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
For those of you who weren’t there today, that was (in my opinion) the best we’ve played all season, particularly in the second half.

The way in which we lost the game, so late on, was heartbreaking to say the least. I couldn’t see whether the penalties were legitimate or not from where I was but you always have to give the Ref the benefit of the doubt I suppose.
The players at the end looked completely demoralised; they all clearly care. They also clearly have the talent as shown today. It’s just going to take time.

Be absolutely clear though, if we’d have won today it would have been absolutely deserved. My Plymouth supporting mates agree that both sides did enough to win. But when the football Gods aren’t smiling at you…

I’m not going to get involved in squabbles about our performances as I did last week. I’m sure that plenty of people will have a lot to say and losing in such a way adds fuel to the fire. Instead I’m going to buy a few beers and be miserable all the way back to London.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
Re: Absolutely Devastated
« Reply #1 on September 25, 2021, 05:34:02 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Unfortunately they were both pens so can’t even blame Kettle

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on September 25, 2021, 05:36:39 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Strangely, I feel more upbeat after today than last week. There were signs of things coming together today against a much better side.

But both penalties were definitely penalties and were both really unforced ones. Bad errors of judgement/concentration by Knoyle and Dahlberg. It does feel like a potentially excellent 3 points chucked away.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on September 25, 2021, 05:36:57 pm by Spud »
Gutting that but sounds like the performances are building. Onto the next.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on September 25, 2021, 05:48:01 pm by Colin C No.3 »
Thanks for that HA. It just puts things into perspective for those of us who didn’t make the journey.

Good on you for doing so.

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on September 25, 2021, 05:50:35 pm by jmt23 »
I suppose these decsions even themselves out... Dahlberg got away with wrestling last week, I am upbeat, as it sounded better than previous games.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on September 25, 2021, 06:07:42 pm by PDX_Rover »
It was harsh on Rovers, but the performance was good. You can see it coming together.

Onwards.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on September 25, 2021, 06:27:37 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I suppose these decsions even themselves out... Dahlberg got away with wrestling last week, I am upbeat, as it sounded better than previous games.

That's not evening out though. He got away with a blatant penalty last week. He didn't get away with a blatant penalty this week. It'll even out when he doesn't foul someone and the ref gives a penalty.

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on September 25, 2021, 06:55:25 pm by jmt23 »
Good point, but listening to the ifollow it wasn't clear whether its was a foul, sounded more of a dive that the ref bought. I have clearly not seen it yet.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on September 25, 2021, 06:55:50 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Disappointing in the end but we seamt to create chances and that's a huge step forward. If we are improving we will start winning games. Looking at the fixtures you'd expect better results in October then we can move on from there.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on September 25, 2021, 07:10:42 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Good point, but listening to the ifollow it wasn't clear whether its was a foul, sounded more of a dive that the ref bought. I have clearly not seen it yet.

Stone wall penalty. Shouldn't have even got to that point from a routine catch

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on September 25, 2021, 07:23:12 pm by dickos1 »
Neither look like penalties to me,
The first one happens all the time, the bloke was crossing, he’d already crossed and the ball had reached the intended area, the slide from our lad didn’t stop anything that would’ve happened without it.
The second one, the goalie didn’t rugby tackle him, his arms weren’t around him.
The player dived

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on September 25, 2021, 07:36:25 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
The first one happens all the time, the bloke was crossing, he’d already crossed and the ball had reached the intended area, the slide from our lad didn’t stop anything that would’ve happened without it.
The second one, the goalie didn’t rugby tackle him, his arms weren’t around him.
The player dived

This is a wind up, right?

German Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on September 25, 2021, 07:44:39 pm by German Rover »
Maybe if we had a manager with a modicum of self control it would help.

Complaining about a decision is fine, but losing control to the point where you get sent off helps noone.

We could really do with some leadership on the sidelines against ipswich, but RW will probably be banned.

Southboy

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on September 25, 2021, 07:45:44 pm by Southboy »
There are signs of life in the team. Don't get me wrong, when they scored I was gutted but the takeaway from that game is that the team are starting to be just that, a team. No one was awful and some were good but best of all we no longer look toothless up front. If we continue to improve at this rate we'll be fine this season and could be excellent next. Onwards and upwards....

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on September 25, 2021, 07:46:44 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Maybe if we had a manager with a modicum of self control it would help.

Complaining about a decision is fine, but losing control to the point where you get sent off helps noone.

We could really do with some leadership on the sidelines against ipswich, but RW will probably be banned.

I'm not sure, I don't think he was debating the penalty I think he was sent off for throwing a water bottle in frustration and it ended up in the home end.

Little Wolf

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on September 25, 2021, 07:49:23 pm by Little Wolf »
Am i the only who saw Dahlberg punch the ball away before the second penalty, clearly got the ball before the man, no penalty

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on September 25, 2021, 07:53:48 pm by dickos1 »
The player dived

No, why because it’s a different opinion to yours?
Players get to the byline all the time and put in crosses and get caught by a defender trying to stop the cross I’ve never seen a penalty given before.
The second one is a dive, the goalie doesn’t touch him

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on September 25, 2021, 08:04:31 pm by idler »
I'd rather be devastated because we were a bit unlucky to lose than how I was feeling in most games after Christmas last season.
I would hope that the players are chomping at the bit to put things right in the next game.
We no longer look as clueless and toothless as we have for large parts over the last few months.
The building blocks are there and falling into place. Let's try to be patient.
Despite today's result we are making progress. Look for the positives.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on September 25, 2021, 08:07:19 pm by Pancho Regan »
The player dived

From the many posts I’ve read from dickos1, I’ve never once got the impression that he does ‘wind-ups’.
If you don’t agree with his post, why can’t you say so in a more polite manner?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on September 25, 2021, 08:12:48 pm by drfchound »
The player dived

From the many posts I’ve read from dickos1, I’ve never once got the impression that he does ‘wind-ups’.
If you don’t agree with his post, why can’t you say so in a more polite manner?

Totally agree Pancho.
Dickos usually offers very good observations on match situations.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on September 25, 2021, 08:23:17 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
The blocking of shots and crosses is a irritating one. If the player gets a shot/cross away and the player blocking doesn't go in dangerously i don't think it's a foul. The defender has to lung into the space to have any hope of blocking anything. Your giving too much advantage to attackers if that kind of contact instantly becomes a foul.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on September 25, 2021, 08:32:35 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I honestly can't believe anyone is even discussing the first one. Their lad got the cross away. Knoyle slid straight through him a second later. Where else on the pitch would you say "no foul" if a player gets wiped out after playing the ball? Knoyle wasn't remotely close to blocking the cross. It was a bad choice of action and we'd be screaming the place down if that foul happened at the other end and no penalty was given.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on September 25, 2021, 08:41:05 pm by Chris Black come back »
Have just seen highlights. Quality not great on the replay but great ball from someone to Hiwula on the first goal. Calm finish from him even if it looked like an own goal. First penalty looked a bit like ball had already been released by time Knoyle tackled him. Dahlberg got exceptionally close to saving the penalty. Second penalty guy threw himself down like pantomime dame so hard to see what actually happened. Dahlberg was at or around him at this point though.

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on September 25, 2021, 08:42:57 pm by BigH »
It was harsh on Rovers, but the performance was good. You can see it coming together.

Onwards.
I think that's the positive isn't it. We're creating chances and capable of getting a goal. That's a big improvement on where we've been these past 6 months.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on September 25, 2021, 08:44:36 pm by Dutch Uncle »
I've only seen the videos, but I have the following comments about the second penalty:

1) If Dahlberg makes the catch and falls on the ball then there is no situation arising.

2) The amount of contact between Dahlberg and the Plymouth payer is difficult to determine, certainly last week against Morecambe was a far far clearer penalty.

3) Following the contact the Plymouth player 'flew' away from Dahlberg like he had been shot from a cannon, against all the rules of Physics unless he put a significant amount of his own energy into generating that flight path. Difficult to tell whether this was exaggeration of contact or full on simulation.

I can see why Kettle gave it but IMHO the Plymouth player's action contributed.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on September 25, 2021, 08:47:27 pm by drfchound »
Looking at the highlights the first one does look harsh.
I have lost count of the number of times I have seen similar incidents where players come together after a cross has been made and nothing is given.
I also agree that their player throws himself to the ground for the second one after feeling Dahlberg behind him but I didn’t think there was enough in it to make him go down like that.
Still, we got away with one last week so I guess this one evens things out a bit.
No way was the first one a pen though.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 08:59:44 pm by drfchound »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on September 25, 2021, 08:51:44 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Have just seen highlights. Quality not great on the replay but great ball from someone to Hiwula on the first goal. Calm finish from him even if it looked like an own goal. First penalty looked a bit like ball had already been released by time Knoyle tackled him. Dahlberg got exceptionally close to saving the penalty. Second penalty guy threw himself down like pantomime dame so hard to see what actually happened. Dahlberg was at or around him at this point though.

Galbraith played the ball to Hiwula. Excellent pass.

First penalty. The ball was fully 2 yards away when Knoyle made contact. Stupid challenge and it is a stonewall penalty.

Second one to be fair it's not 100% clear from the video, but if it was a dive, Agard deserves an award. He fell in exactly the fashion that someone would if they were trying to run from a standing start and someone grabbed their ankle. If he's not been touched but managed to pull off a near-perfect simulation, he should be a stunt double.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on September 25, 2021, 08:53:07 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
For once I disagree with you Dutch. If you're trying to sprint from standing and your foot gets caught, the natural consequence is that your torso will accelerate forwards.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on September 25, 2021, 08:55:06 pm by Dutch Uncle »
For once I disagree with you Dutch. If you're trying to sprint from standing and your foot gets caught, the natural consequence is that your torso will accelerate forwards.

No problem BST. I don't find it easy to unravel exactly what happened - and as I said I can see why Kettle gave it.   

TinyPortal © 2005-2012