Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:48:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Absolutely Devastated  (Read 7381 times)

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
Re: Absolutely Devastated
« Reply #60 on September 26, 2021, 11:28:35 am by StocksArmy »
I'm genuinely bemused that anyone is even talking about the first penalty. The ball is two yards away when Knoyle makes contact. It isn't even remotely close to being a fair challenge.

I would love to have the luxury of VAR and see it close up. I think that happens outside the area its not given in a million years. I think you are right in what you are saying but, the challenge effects nothing in the play and doesnt endanger the player so I think its harsh to say the least.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on September 26, 2021, 11:29:19 am by Dutch Uncle »
Interesting to note the phrasing in the BBC/Press Association report of the match:

before Luke Jephcott levelled after Ryan Broom was fouled by Kyle Knoyle in the box.

With the game looking to be petering out for a draw, referee Trevor Kettle awarded Argyle their second penalty in stoppage time, after Pontus Dahlberg was adjudged to have pulled down substitute Kieran Agard after spilling a cross.

The suggestion is that the first penalty was correct and 'was adjudged' suggests there is doubt about the second, at least in the eye of the reporter.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 11:31:40 am by Dutch Uncle »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on September 26, 2021, 11:33:16 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Wellens's comments are just silly. You cannot watch the official video and say categorically that Agard has dived.

I understand the frustration and the stress, but your judgement is devalued if you publicly make comments like this, and the one at Wigan.

hstripes

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on September 26, 2021, 11:34:28 am by hstripes »
Absolutely devastated for the 250-300 Rovers fans who travelled all that way to support a team bottom of the table. You're all heroes to a man and woman in my eyes. Hope you all got back safe and no-one is stuck somewhere on the M5 hard shoulder having run out of fuel.

Encouraged by the reports back. Thanks for all of those.

For me 2 cast iron penalties. My test would be what would I think if the same had happened at the other end - in both cases I'd be incandescent if penalties hadn't been awarded to Rovers for those incidents.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #64 on September 26, 2021, 11:35:26 am by BillyStubbsTears »
I think that's fair enough Dutch. The first one, there's no question. It's clear as day on the video that Knoyle fouled their player. For the second one, the official video doesn't show whether or not contact was made.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on September 26, 2021, 12:02:39 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
Wellens is slowly turning into the League 1 Mourinho. Not due to an obsessive penchant for defensive resilience, but for whinging about anything and everything.

At Wigan he moaned about the free kick given for the Latic's opener whilst failing to acknowledge that his side failed abysmally to defend the free kick properly and proceeded to give Will Keane more space in the box than is between Boris Johnson's ears.

Likewise the Wigan winner. In your own time Mr Keane.

Poor defending and decision making has cost us at both Wigan and Plymouth and could have cost us the point we mustered against Pompey after Williams gifted the visitors a late penalty, which thankfully was saved. Dahlberg threw one in at Accrington too.

Wellens also claimed prior to the Morecambe game that the handbrake would be well and truly off, we would throw numbers forward and hit the Shrimps with a vengeance.

In reality, we were dire. Slow, created little and displayed the opposite reaction to the managers wishes. We were promised a thrill ride but I ended up that heavily sedated that i was unsure if i was fit to drive home. In the end Rowe proved to be a timely alarm clock.

I didn't hear Wellens apologising that his plan to tear Morecambe limb from limb from the get go failed to materialize. 

There is no doubt in my mind that we are making gradual improvements after a difficult start to the season, with the fixtures and injuries etc and this is the hope i hang on to that makes me think we will be ok.

However, i would like Richie to concentrate on the football and stop using obvious deflection tactics to self preserve his position. At the moment he is not doing a satisfactory job in my opinion, all things considered and this needs to improve soon.

The good thing is there is plenty of time and Richie needs it to slowly steer us around to relative L1 safety. I think he is more than capable of doing this.

Credit to Plymouth, they won. We didn't. Positives from the performance can be taken into the game with Ipswich but with a highflying MK Dons next up at the Keepmoat, things don't get easier.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on September 26, 2021, 12:11:03 pm by Chris Black come back »
I’ve not watched the replays back yet but my instinct immediately after was that we can have few complaints about the penalty decisions.

I did think the Knoyle one was harsh given that he didn’t prevent their player from doing anything (the ball had already been crossed exactly as intended) and I don’t know if their player made the most of the second one. But we were naive in the way we gave the referee decisions to make for both of them. They could so easily have been avoided.
This is ultimately what you get with loaning young players. I’m certainly not suggesting Dahlberg was a bad signing, on the contrary I think he’s an excellent keeper and by some distance the best we’ve had since Dieng (and better than plenty that preceded him). But he’s young and has shown occasional weaknesses in concentration and a tendency to make rash decisions. He’ll learn and iron out those faults in time, and Watford will be the beneficiary. He could play at a very high level in the future in my opinion. Come the summer we’ll be back at square one needing a goalkeeper.

But that’s the loan market. And I do get the fact that we couldn’t afford to bring in a permanent goalkeeper of comparable quality. It is what it is.

Balcombe last season away at Lincoln. Not sure we will see something that nuts for a long time. Young keepers don’t have the temperament when they come to us. Dieng a little older but I don’t reckon he is fannying around with ball at his feet in the six yard box these days.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on September 26, 2021, 12:22:18 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I didn't say I agreed with his view on Wigan's 2nd goal, I said I agreed with his views on the penalties at Plymouth.

I never said anything about your opinion. Im pointing out that he is not always correct. Hes got his head in the sand. My opinion of course.
I've never thought Wellens was always correct, me neither, but on this occasion (PLYMOUTH) I think he was bang on.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on September 26, 2021, 12:38:45 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Wellens's comments are just silly. You cannot watch the official video and say categorically that Agard has dived.

I understand the frustration and the stress, but your judgement is devalued if you publicly make comments like this, and the one at Wigan.

You are bound to say Wellens' comments are silly because after all, they differ from yours. No change there!

I wasn't aware that Wellens' view was based solely on what he saw on the official video. Regarding the video, I saw no contact for the second penalty but definitely saw what looked like a blatant dive from their player.

Verdict: No penalty for the second one.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #69 on September 26, 2021, 01:53:54 pm by Spud »
Maybe Wellens had a better view of the Agard one than what we can see on the video.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on September 26, 2021, 01:57:08 pm by Lesonthewest »
Gutted for the players & our support, thought we looked really good & much more of a threat going forward. Plenty of positives in the performance & if we can find a bit of consistency now, we will start to pick up some points. Unlucky lads.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on September 26, 2021, 03:42:34 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Maybe Wellens had a better view of the Agard one than what we can see on the video.

He said "I just watched it back and he hasn’t touched him, the lad’s dived."

So he wasn't judging from what he saw at the time. He's judging from a video. If it is the main iFollow/Sky one, there is no way on earth he can come to that conclusion.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on September 26, 2021, 03:43:34 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Gutted for the players & our support, thought we looked really good & much more of a threat going forward. Plenty of positives in the performance & if we can find a bit of consistency now, we will start to pick up some points. Unlucky lads.

Bang on. Yesterday was the first time this season I've thought that if we continue to play like that, we'll survive comfortably.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on September 26, 2021, 03:52:06 pm by Bentley Bullet »

He said "I just watched it back and he hasn’t touched him, the lad’s dived."

So he wasn't judging from what he saw at the time. He's judging from a video. If it is the main iFollow/Sky one, there is no way on earth he can come to that conclusion.
Of course he'd have watched it back! That doesn't mean he's changed his mind about what he thought of it at the time. Maybe it just confirmed his initial opinion?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #74 on September 26, 2021, 03:52:49 pm by dickos1 »
As has been mentioned a number of times knoyles challenge didn’t impeded their player at all, he still made the cross he intended to.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on September 26, 2021, 03:55:41 pm by dickos1 »
I was watching match of day last night and Dallas for Leeds had a shot which was saved well but the defender came in on him after he’d got the shot off, no free kick

Happens all the time

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on September 26, 2021, 04:26:33 pm by NickDRFC »
I was watching match of day last night and Dallas for Leeds had a shot which was saved well but the defender came in on him after he’d got the shot off, no free kick

Happens all the time

It doesn’t make Knoyle’s challenge any less of a foul. Idiotic tackle to make.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on September 26, 2021, 04:31:13 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I don't think anyone is arguing it wasn't a foul. The point is a penalty was given even though it didn't appear to interfere with the progress of play.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 04:33:46 pm by Bentley Bullet »

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on September 26, 2021, 05:36:10 pm by bpoolrover »
People are right fouls are not given for that most of the time but that is just bad officials, if you make a foul while the ball is in play it's a foul simple as that, I'm sure he will learn anyway and there were many positives from the game

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on September 26, 2021, 07:05:52 pm by Goole Rover »
As has been mentioned a number of times knoyles challenge didn’t impeded their player at all, he still made the cross he intended to.

Agree !

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on September 26, 2021, 07:12:44 pm by scawsby steve »
All the defensive minded pundits on the box, Neville, Carragher and others, always say not to go to ground in the box when making the tackle, it's fraught with danger.

Stupid tackle by Knoyle.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #81 on September 26, 2021, 09:51:26 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Happens all the time

I watched those highlights. I didn't see that incident. Roughly when in the match was it?

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #82 on September 26, 2021, 11:15:48 pm by Colin C No.3 »
Not too sure, but think it was about 3 beers & 2 bottles of Merlot in.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #83 on September 27, 2021, 02:46:41 pm by dickos1 »

Happens all the time

I watched those highlights. I didn't see that incident. Roughly when in the match was it?

Around the 12th min

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on September 27, 2021, 04:03:07 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Happens all the time

Around the 12th min
In that case, I'm totally lost. The shot in question is at 44:30 in this link and no defender got anywhere near Dallas.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m00103yb/match-of-the-day-202122-25092021

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #85 on September 27, 2021, 11:16:27 pm by dickos1 »
Yes you’re right actually
It was the effort by benrahma just before

TinyPortal © 2005-2012