Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:12:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Fuel shortages, a return to autumn 2000?  (Read 5028 times)

normal rules

• Forum Member
Re: Fuel shortages, a return to autumn 2000?
« Reply #90 on October 04, 2021, 07:27:28 pm by normal rules »
Quote by Normal Rules above:

Cue the front page of the suns headline.  “ we are running on empty”
The rest you know.
God help us if a viral story of a bank running out of money ever got out.

It did happen of course, Northern Rock in 2007.
On the evening news one night and massive queues outside NR branches the next day when people tried to withdraw their savings.

Thanks for reminding me. I lost money with northern rock.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #91 on October 06, 2021, 09:46:16 am by BillyStubbsTears »
2016:

Pretty much everybody who thought about it: "If we leave the EU and stop free movement overnight there will be massive shocks to the supply chain."

Boris Johnson. "Project Fear!"

2021. Pretty much everyone who thought about it in 2016. "Err...thoughts?"

Boris Johnson: "This was the plan all along, to turn us into a high skill economy."

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #92 on October 06, 2021, 09:51:15 am by SydneyRover »
Johnson has the guts to fix Britain, which is good because after 11 years of tory rule they are the ones that f**ked it.

It's ironic johnson can fix anything ..................... in the future, he just can't fix anything in front of his face.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on October 06, 2021, 03:06:09 pm by Axholme Lion »
2016:

Pretty much everybody who thought about it: "If we leave the EU and stop free movement overnight there will be massive shocks to the supply chain."

Boris Johnson: "This was the plan all along, to turn us into a high skill economy."

Nothing to do with Covid then and similar issues other countries are suffering?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #94 on October 06, 2021, 07:23:54 pm by silent majority »
2016:

I work for a multi national manufacturer with about 96 factories in about 54 countries dotted around the world.

It's definitely a global issue. It's the bulk of our factories in the far east who are having the most issues, unable to purchase micro-processors, shortage of steel because of covid situations in China and India with a further steel producer in Germany suffering because of the floods.  Prices of brass and other materials have gone through the roof.

All the shipping companies have doubled the amount of time that it takes to get product from the Far East into Europe, a situation made much worse by the blockage in the Suez Canal which has then led to a shortage of containers. Air freight has quadrupled in cost meaning we now have to use the rail network from China into Europe.

I could go on, the list is absolutely endless of issues we face across the globe. The only Brexit issue we face is getting product into Northern Ireland which has produced more paperwork and takes longer. Apart from that all of our problems are global ones and the UK plays no part in any of that.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #95 on October 07, 2021, 12:21:26 am by Janso »
Yep, I work for a company that sells automation components and the big players in the market just can't get components. Drives and motors that would usually take a month max to come have been taking 5-6-7 months because materials and microchips are just impossible to get hold of.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #96 on October 07, 2021, 08:47:09 am by Axholme Lion »
2016:

I work for a multi national manufacturer with about 96 factories in about 54 countries dotted around the world.

It's definitely a global issue. It's the bulk of our factories in the far east who are having the most issues, unable to purchase micro-processors, shortage of steel because of covid situations in China and India with a further steel producer in Germany suffering because of the floods.  Prices of brass and other materials have gone through the roof.

All the shipping companies have doubled the amount of time that it takes to get product from the Far East into Europe, a situation made much worse by the blockage in the Suez Canal which has then led to a shortage of containers. Air freight has quadrupled in cost meaning we now have to use the rail network from China into Europe.

I could go on, the list is absolutely endless of issues we face across the globe. The only Brexit issue we face is getting product into Northern Ireland which has produced more paperwork and takes longer. Apart from that all of our problems are global ones and the UK plays no part in any of that.

Exactly. But people are making out the problems here are solely down to the Government and Brexit. Personally i think Boris is a bit of a clown and goes AWOL when he should be seen to be doing something, however he has been dealt a shit hand and i doubt if the big guns of labour intelligentsia could have done any better.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #97 on October 07, 2021, 10:21:46 am by BillyStubbsTears »
No AL. I'm saying our problems are exacerbated by Brexit. If they weren't, why is the Govt now backtracking and allowing visas for HGV drivers?

And the real core of what I'm saying is that Johnson now spins this as some master plan. As though it's all part of some genius strategy (which no-one has seen sight or sound of) to turn us miraculously into a high skill, high wage economy.

It is typical Johnson bullshit when faced with a massive problem. Wa e your arms about, crack a joke in Latin a d say everything will be great because we are British.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on October 07, 2021, 07:13:48 pm by normal rules »
It’s being reported today in certain quarters that the fuel issue has been exasperated by the govts switch to e10 fuel. Many stations have been running their tanks dry in order to get them empty prior to the new deliveries of e10. Thus creating a bit of a knock on effect.many tankers carry diesel and petrol. Filling stations not needing petrol as they are trying to get rid of e5 subsequently not getting their diesel through.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 07:16:52 pm by normal rules »

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #100 on October 07, 2021, 10:57:27 pm by SydneyRover »
https://www.google.com/amp/s/inews.co.uk/news/fuel-shortage-figures-petrol-station-deliveries-panic-buying-crisis-explained-1237349/amp

The stats in this are interesting.  It's that erm brexit effect of course...

modified

Why is the army required?

Just wondering if the source of the story is via the government pud, and why it has only just become apparent?

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #101 on October 08, 2021, 09:09:05 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
https://www.google.com/amp/s/inews.co.uk/news/fuel-shortage-figures-petrol-station-deliveries-panic-buying-crisis-explained-1237349/amp

The stats in this are interesting.  It's that erm brexit effect of course...

modified

Why is the army required?

Just wondering if the source of the story is via the government pud, and why it has only just become apparent?

It was always thus (admittedly a bit harder for you to see from the other side of the world).  Press created a non story because they're all looking for them, people panicked, demand massively outstripped normal supply now it's difficult to catch that back up in places.  Meanwhile in the north of England it's back to normal now.  No queues, no issues, in fact when I put fuel in on Tuesday I was the only car there at 815 in the morning which is unheard of (because they'd all panicked before).

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #102 on October 08, 2021, 09:15:19 am by SydneyRover »
thanks pud, I got confused between your link and NR's comment, my comment was to the story about E5 and E10 fuel changeover.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012