Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:39:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Rovers can now install Safe Standing  (Read 3123 times)

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
Re: Rovers can now install Safe Standing
« Reply #30 on September 25, 2021, 10:54:09 am by Padge_DRFC »
There wasn't many seats at Belle Vue. Good job we moved when we did sounds like thousands wouldn't come the way people go on about it

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

hstripes

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on September 26, 2021, 03:51:09 pm by hstripes »

What a terrible post. Self-serving arrogance in the face of potential solutions.

Having a dedicated area to stand does not impede on your right to sit. It makes it clearer.

Someone having a different opinion to yours whilst giving reasoned arguments doesn't make them self-serving or arrogant. Please show more respect and maturity. Lindy has raised some legitimate concerns with bringing back standing namely: -

- If it happens Rovers need to carefully assess where the standing areas are placed. Remembering not all people can or want to stand and so ensuring the options for where people can sit (at the back of stands/behind the goal wherever) aren't reduced.
- There have been severe health and safety issues, and indeed tragedies, from standing areas in the past. Lindy is right to raise these concerns. After all the Government, to a degree must share these concerns, hence why this is only being introduced now and only as a trial.
- On a broader point people with young children, short people, the elderly and people with mobility issues are discouraged from attending away matches due to the selfish, thoughtlessness of people standing which forces the majority to stand.

I don't see any lack of understanding of the argument in Lindy's post either, just a different opinion, suggesting so is condescending.

Just on my last bullet point. Want an example of an opinion which lacks understanding and is self-serving arrogance how about..... "The atmosphere is so much better [at away games] because just about everybody stands ....... it shouldn't be any different at home." Yep nuts to the fans who simply can't stand during a match so long as you're enjoying a better atmosphere.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on September 26, 2021, 07:08:47 pm by silent majority »

What a terrible post. Self-serving arrogance in the face of potential solutions.

Having a dedicated area to stand does not impede on your right to sit. It makes it clearer.

Someone having a different opinion to yours whilst giving reasoned arguments doesn't make them self-serving or arrogant. Please show more respect and maturity. Lindy has raised some legitimate concerns with bringing back standing namely: -

- If it happens Rovers need to carefully assess where the standing areas are placed. Remembering not all people can or want to stand and so ensuring the options for where people can sit (at the back of stands/behind the goal wherever) aren't reduced.
- There have been severe health and safety issues, and indeed tragedies, from standing areas in the past. Lindy is right to raise these concerns. After all the Government, to a degree must share these concerns, hence why this is only being introduced now and only as a trial.
- On a broader point people with young children, short people, the elderly and people with mobility issues are discouraged from attending away matches due to the selfish, thoughtlessness of people standing which forces the majority to stand.

I don't see any lack of understanding of the argument in Lindy's post either, just a different opinion, suggesting so is condescending.

Just on my last bullet point. Want an example of an opinion which lacks understanding and is self-serving arrogance how about..... "The atmosphere is so much better [at away games] because just about everybody stands ....... it shouldn't be any different at home." Yep nuts to the fans who simply can't stand during a match so long as you're enjoying a better atmosphere.

Hmm, that's interesting. Somebody classing my post as condescending when in actual fact I called it exactly as it is. Not only that but it's obvious you haven't read my post properly as you've misinterpreted what I wrote. I'm sure you're seeking an argument so let me put you straight on a few issues.

Firstly I'd like you to point out to me where the, quote, 'severe health and safety issues, and indeed tragedies, from standing areas in the past' actually are. Where are these? Bearing in mind Hillsboro had nothing to do with standing, it was a tragedy born out of Police incompetence and neglect, so that wouldn't be classed as one. The disaster at Bradford occurred in a seating area, and in fact all major tragedies that have taken place in football stadiums over the last 20 years have occurred in seated areas so I'm intrigued to know where these tragedies occurred. Part of our successful campaign stemmed from the fact that we could prove that standing areas weren't unsafe, we collected the data that allowed us to do that so I'm intrigued by your assertion.

The reason Lindy doesn't understand the argument, and I said I'd had this argument many times, is that for some reason he thinks the reintroduction of standing areas will force him to stand, it won't. It's about giving choices to him and others to enjoy the game the way they see fit and not be forced to do anything they don't want to. That is clearly a misunderstanding of the position and in no way is it condescending to point that out.

Yes there are issues at away games with people standing, which again was part and parcel of our campaign. Again we emphasise the choice of the individual to enjoy the game the way they wish to, so that those who do have mobility issues, or are of a certain age can enjoy the game, we have no wish to force them to stand.

And finally, pointing out that my post lacks understanding and is self serving arrogance as you put it, is not helped by you adding a completely different context to my post and made a point that I clearly didn't.

If anybody lacks understanding and demonstrates self serving arrogance its been you in your determination to have a pop at me whilst not reflecting accurately on what I posted nor on my intentions within my posts.

I wondered how long it would take for you to show your colours again hstripes, it didn't take that long did it?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on September 26, 2021, 08:11:14 pm by silent majority »
hstripes,

two points;

1) try answering the questions I asked before calling my posts condescending

2) My facts are facts, they're not opinions. I haven't spent 20 years on a campaign to have to rely on opinions.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on September 26, 2021, 10:10:00 pm by normal rules »
There seems to be a general assumption that rail seating, if fitted, should go behind a goal and towards the rear.
This may seem like a reasoned argument based on the premise that the vocal support of a club, that would be more in favour of standing, would migrate naturally to this area.
But does this make it right?
Is there not an argument that some people want to sit higher up in a stand to afford themselves a more grandstand view of the pitch.?
Look at celtics model. Their rail seats have been erected in a corner of one stand.
Should those wanting to stand be given automatic right to the upper area directly behind the goal ?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on September 27, 2021, 06:27:53 pm by silent majority »
If anybody's interested in reading a bit more about rail seats, then here's a link to the Safe Standing Roadshow. DRFC supporters may remember the demo unit that I brought to the Keepmoat once during a 'Meet The Owners' night.

https://www.safestandingroadshow.co.uk/news/latest-news/green-light-for-safe-standing-trials

TinyPortal © 2005-2012