Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:43:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: No one wants him as a ref  (Read 2615 times)

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
Re: No one wants him as a ref
« Reply #1 on September 26, 2021, 11:36:22 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
Wellens needs to get a grip and start taking responsibility for his own players errors. Knoyle made the wrong decision to go to ground for the first. Dahlberg made a balls up with the catch and then made a balls up of the ensuing rescue mission to retrieve the ball. End of. Ref absolved from blame IMO yesterday.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on September 26, 2021, 11:44:53 pm by donnievic »
Exactly the 2 bad mistakes err by rovers players that cost us not the ref

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on September 27, 2021, 06:34:46 am by Upton Rover »
Having watched on EFL goals both were pens RW needs to be careful in his wording, because no matter if they are rubbish refs you can’t go around saying that, his player’s spoilt the day

German Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on September 27, 2021, 08:34:18 am by German Rover »
He acts like a child, there is no responsibility there.

This sort of thing used to do us damage when JR would go on local radio ranting about referees.

NigelJ

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on September 27, 2021, 08:52:50 am by NigelJ »
Wellens needs to get a grip and start taking responsibility for his own players errors. Knoyle made the wrong decision to go to ground for the first. Dahlberg made a balls up with the catch and then made a balls up of the ensuing rescue mission to retrieve the ball. End of. Ref absolved from blame IMO yesterday.

So the Plymouth players boot being swung at Dahlberg midriff was irrelevant? It certainly stopped Dahlberg retrieving the ball. A free kick should have been given to us.

The first penalty was also not clear-cut. Knoyle slid in, attempting to block the cross. The challenge wasn't to directly tackle the player. The Plymouth player, having put the cross in, then proceeded to move inside, in my opinion to deliberately get caught by the attempted block, and 'win' a penalty.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on September 27, 2021, 08:59:05 am by selby »
  Players can be criticised, supporters can be criticised, the board can be criticised, the manager can be criticised, and referees cannot who hold the most responsibility in a game from start to finish, something wrong there.
  We play Ipswich next, where I was a witness to one of the worst refereeing decisions I have ever seen that was not given in our favour, resulted in Ipswich scoring the goal that won the game and cost us the point that would have kept us in the Championship the next season, resulting in this club losing millions of pounds in income and was not the only bad decision in the closing games of that season that made everyone consider collusion of officials that season to affect our results.
  Whether they were pens or not he is a recognised poor referee by most in the game and who watch the games he referees, why hide the fact in interviews and conversations.

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on September 27, 2021, 10:42:26 am by DMnumber4 »
  Players can be criticised, supporters can be criticised, the board can be criticised, the manager can be criticised, and referees cannot who hold the most responsibility in a game from start to finish, something wrong there.
  We play Ipswich next, where I was a witness to one of the worst refereeing decisions I have ever seen that was not given in our favour, resulted in Ipswich scoring the goal that won the game and cost us the point that would have kept us in the Championship the next season, resulting in this club losing millions of pounds in income and was not the only bad decision in the closing games of that season that made everyone consider collusion of officials that season to affect our results.
  Whether they were pens or not he is a recognised poor referee by most in the game and who watch the games he referees, why hide the fact in interviews and conversations.

Still rankles with me does that one...

"Blues boss Mick McCarthy conceded that his side ‘got away with one’ in this afternoon’s 2-1 home win over Doncaster, but hit back at opposition manger Paul Dickov’s claim that Luke Hyam’s unpunished challenge on Gabriel Tamas in the build-up to Luke Chambers’ winner was a potential leg-breaker."

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/gallery-managers-reaction-ipswich-town-boss-mick-mccarthy-admits-his-2137730

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on September 27, 2021, 12:21:35 pm by jmt23 »
I would agree that he needs to be more careful with his words - I thought the referee was very poor today would have been better.

But he has just watched his team play the best they have so far, create several chances to score, and lose to a debatable penalty (interesting to note no players called for the penalty at the point until the missed shot) I would want it if it was us though. Knoyles was a penalty without doubt.

ck-rtid

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on September 27, 2021, 12:24:37 pm by ck-rtid »
First penalty is debatable as the player already got his cross in, he wasn’t impeded in doing so by the challenge. 2nd even more dubious, foul on Dahlberg and the Plymouth player made the most of any contact. Kettle is pretty damn useless

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on September 27, 2021, 12:24:57 pm by donnievic »

So the Plymouth players boot being swung at Dahlberg midriff was irrelevant? It certainly stopped Dahlberg retrieving the ball. A free kick should have been given to us.

The first penalty was also not clear-cut. Knoyle slid in, attempting to block the cross. The challenge wasn't to directly tackle the player. The Plymouth player, having put the cross in, then proceeded to move inside, in my opinion to deliberately get caught by the attempted block, and 'win' a penalty.
that is 1st time I have seen that mentioned about it being kicked out of his grasp apart from my lad although I don’t think he had it under control,as far as I saw he didn’t connect with dalberg or dangerously.

All in all he should of just caught a simple catch end of,Jones would of been shot to shit

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on September 27, 2021, 12:29:00 pm by donnievic »
First penalty is debatable as the player already got his cross in, he wasn’t impeded in doing so by the challenge. 2nd even more dubious, foul on Dahlberg and the Plymouth player made the most of any contact. Kettle is pretty damn useless
1st one debatable because ball had already gone and wasn’t impeded?????does that make it not a foul then??????if he had tried sliding more across in front of the player instead of sliding into him then maybe he may of got away with it

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on September 27, 2021, 01:01:32 pm by i_ateallthepies »

Since when has a late tackle with contact not been a foul?

Move DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on September 27, 2021, 01:50:38 pm by Move DRFC »

I’m sure Wellens gave Knoyle and potentially Dahlberg a bollocking for the errors. I’d prefer he didn’t come out and slam the players publicly. I’m fine with his honesty regarding the referees altho I thought they were both pens

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on September 27, 2021, 02:05:03 pm by Avsuptem »
This is a circular argument. It's true that the standard of refereeing is low but why is that ? One reason may be the abuse and frequently, physical violence dished out to young trainee refs at junior level by players, coaching staff and spectators alike causing them to realise they have something better to do on a Sunday morning and making them give up the whistle for good. This means there is only ever a tiny pool of talent to choose from. It's high time this problem was dealt with at grass roots level and it is not helped by professionals like RW who set such a bad example and should know better. Or maybe he has a right to dish it out owing to the belief that, unlike the refs he criticises he never ever made a mistake in his playing career.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on September 27, 2021, 02:25:07 pm by sha66y »
Maybe he’s just as frustrated as us, and there is clear debate on here as to whether they were both “ slam dunk” penalties……if RW saw what some have alluded to that there was no reason to give the penalty because of whichever reason….

I get why he is angry and frustrated, !

and Kettle is the easiest Referee to have a go at because a large percentage of fans and managers do not rate him!

I like a manager to show his emotions….it shows the team that he believes they were cheated out of a well earned victory and they have his total support!

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on September 27, 2021, 02:29:40 pm by Canadian Rover »
I'm glad the team performed better but we were hardly dominant in the match and certainly weren't fully cheated out of a win.

Richie is reminding me of Dickov a lot in his post match interviews.

I really hope the team turns it around and starts performing and winning regularly but fear we are in for a long torrid season ahead.

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on September 27, 2021, 02:31:50 pm by Wiltshire Exile »
This is a circular argument. It's true that the standard of refereeing is low but why is that ? One reason may be the abuse and frequently, physical violence dished out to young trainee refs at junior level by players, coaching staff and spectators alike causing them to realise they have something better to do on a Sunday morning and making them give up the whistle for good. This means there is only ever a tiny pool of talent to choose from. It's high time this problem was dealt with at grass roots level and it is not helped by professionals like RW who set such a bad example and should know better. Or maybe he has a right to dish it out owing to the belief that, unlike the refs he criticises he never ever made a mistake in his playing career.

Good points, Avsuptem.

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on September 27, 2021, 02:36:58 pm by glosterred »
Maybe RW has point

From Adam Oxleys Twitter feed

#drfc boss Richie Wellens says Mike Jones (@EFL Head of Refereeing) has apologised for both Plymouth penalties at the weekend, which MJ thinks were both harsh and not penalties. RW feels that’s now 11 key decisions that have gone against Rovers in 8 league games.
@footballheaven

COYR

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on September 27, 2021, 02:44:59 pm by dickos1 »
All these folk saying there were both definite penalties, yet the head of refereeing has apologised for both decisions.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on September 27, 2021, 02:52:51 pm by GazLaz »
Mike Jones must be drunk.

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on September 27, 2021, 03:15:23 pm by Canadian Rover »
Mike Jones must be drunk.

I'd be surprised if this happened (not the drunk part)

DRFCSouth

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on September 27, 2021, 03:22:27 pm by DRFCSouth »
1st pen - We've seen these before where the cross is made, and a late challenge follows, and they don't get given. And we wonder why. I can see how it was given.

2nd pen - Striker isn't in control of the ball, and maybe that's why he's gone down. That said, keeper has created the situation. Contact is barely minimal.

All in all, some very soft pens get given now.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on September 27, 2021, 03:35:31 pm by donnievic »
All these folk saying there were both definite penalties, yet the head of refereeing has apologised for both decisions.
has he apologised or has RW just said he has!!!!!also if he has the he hasn’t said they shouldn’t have been given just apparently harsh

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on September 27, 2021, 03:48:46 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I wonder how many who disagree with Wellens' reactions towards the penalties didn't want him here as manager in the first place and are always happy to criticise him simply because he wasn't their choice?

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on September 27, 2021, 03:55:23 pm by Spud »
Maybe RW has point

From Adam Oxleys Twitter feed

#drfc boss Richie Wellens says Mike Jones (@EFL Head of Refereeing) has apologised for both Plymouth penalties at the weekend, which MJ thinks were both harsh and not penalties. RW feels that’s now 11 key decisions that have gone against Rovers in 8 league games.
@footballheaven

COYR

This seems quite bizarre to me, surely MJ is not gonna admit to these comments?

Whilst generally, Richie is right in that no one wants Kettle reffing em, on this occasion it just looks daft & a case of sour grapes, no one can defend Knoyle's challenge, surely.

Hopefully we're discussing the football rather than decisions after tomorrow's game.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on September 27, 2021, 03:58:16 pm by donnievic »
I wonder how many who disagree with Wellens' reactions towards the penalties didn't want him here as manager in the first place and are always happy to criticise him simply because he wasn't their choice?
not me I thought both were but was and still am he got appointed,had really bad start with injuries but got most back now and we are stating to see better performances for me now it’s pherhaps just his stubbornness not to want to change things around if needed

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on September 27, 2021, 04:08:31 pm by Bentley Bullet »
The trouble with that is some people's idea of "his Stubbornness" can be down to him not having the same opinion as them!

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on September 27, 2021, 04:08:53 pm by The Beast »
I think both penalties looked soft, not seen them in enough detail to make a solid decision on either. We definitely got away with a massive one against Morecambe but got done with definitely one maybe two decisions against Wigan. Home teams definitely get the decisions, big clubs get decisions and good teams get decisions. When you’re where we are you get nothing, we won’t get anything until we start winning, it’s a catch 22 situation.
Abusing referees won’t get you anywhere whether you’re right to or not.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on September 27, 2021, 04:44:09 pm by Alickismyhero »
I believe RW is telling the truth because sure as eggs are eggs RW comments will arrive at TK's door step. If RW's comments are  found to be inaccurate then RW is in big big trouble.

What I find strange is that normally when a ref makes a major mistake its the ref who phones the manager and not the Head of EFL Referees.

Something very strange about this story.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012