Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:20:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Mike Jeffrey interview with a Fortuna Sittard fan  (Read 2070 times)

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
Mike Jeffrey interview with a Fortuna Sittard fan
« on September 22, 2021, 10:47:30 am by Sammy Chung was King »
MIKE JEFFREY: OUR MAN IN LIVERPOOL
Geplaatst door admin | 6 april 2001 | Zaanse Methoden 2000-2001 |     
Naam: Mike Jeffrey
Geboortedatum: 11-08-1971
Geboorteplaats: Liverpool

Staat van Dienst (tot 01-04-2001):

Periode   Club   Trainers   Wedstrijden   Doelpunten
1989-1992   Bolton Wanderers*   Neale   10   0
1992-1994   Doncaster Rovers**   Beaglehole, Cunningham, Atkins   48   19
1993-1995   Newcastle United   Keegan   2   0
1995-1996   Rotherham United***   Gemmill, McGover   22   5
1995-1999   Fortuna Sittard   Verbeek, Van Marwijk   103   25
1999-2000   Kilmarnock   Williamson   26   3
2000-….   Grimsby Town   Buckley, Lawrence   14   1
Totaal   –   –   230   53
*Jeffrey ging gedurende het seizoen 92/93 tussentijds over naar Doncaster Rovers
**Jeffrey ging gedurende het seizoen 93/94 tussentijds over naar Newcastle United
***Jeffrey ging gedurende het seizoen 95/95 tussentijds over naar Fortuna Sittard

Klik op het vlaggetje voor de Nederlandse vertaling:

As you’re from Mersey side, the obvious but necessary first question surely must be, are you a Blues or a Reds supporter?

“Liverpool, the Reds”

Although you never played for Liverpool/Everton, you did play in the premier league for Newcastle United. How did you manage to sign up with Newcastle United?

“No I didn’t play in the Prem for Newcastle. I was playing for Doncaster Rovers and we played against Newcastle in a pre-season friendly. A couple of months later Kevin Keegan came in for me and I signed for Newcastle.”

In Newcastle you worked under the Keegan regime. Can you tell us about your experience with him, for example what makes him different from other English managers?

“Keegan has an incredible aura about him. He is a great motivator of players and because of the player he was himself, he commands amazing respect from everyone.”

Eventually you went to Rotherham United. It’s there that Fortuna spotted you. Were you informed about the interest of Fortuna Sittard and what were your thoughts about it? Did you have a choice to sign with another club in those days?

“I was told about Fortuna’s interest by the Rotherham manager after they had been to a match just looking in general I think rather than specifically at me. It was around Xmas time and I was excited about the prospect of joining a foreign club for the experience.”

Last year Fortuna moved to a new stadium, but supporters keep heroically talking about stadium De Baandert. What is your opinion of De Baandert Stadium, did you experience the atmosphere as being pleasant?

“De Baandert Stadium had a really good atmosphere because it was a very tight ground with the stands close to the pitch. I don’t think the big clubs liked playing there.”

Especially now that you’ve left, it shows how good the striking partnership Jeffrey/Hamming actually was, as it appears to be very difficult to find a new striking partner for Hamming. What do you think are Ronald Hamming‘s best qualities?

“His strength was his finishing, and he was very good at playing on the shoulders of defenders.”

What was it that made the two of you gel so well?

“We complemented each other although I probably did most of the work!”

You played four years for us and we enjoyed every single year, but what is your “Finest Moment” at Fortuna Sittard?

“The finest moment was the match against PSV in the semi-finals when we won 3-1 away.”

The biggest game in your Fortuna spell obviously was the Cup Final against Ajax. Can you tell us something about your experience of that game? Should we have won it?

“We started the game very slow and really having gone 2-0 down it was almost over after 20 minutes. The atmosphere was great and it was a great day out but we let ourselves down. We only played at 50% and didn’t give ourselves a chance.”

Very important in your personal development but also for the team in general was the arrival of Bert van Marwijk. In which aspects can you compare Bert van Marwijk to Kevin Keegan?

“Both men are very good at building players confidence and promoting self belief. It is difficult to really compare them because I played under Bert for much longer, but I think Bert was more into the tactics of the game, which is generally the case in Holland.”

The most promising player in those days probably was Mark van Bommel. He now plays for PSV but is keen to move to England in the near future, which English club would suit him best?

“Probably Arsenal would suit him best.”

At the end of the 98/99 season you left Fortuna. There were a lot of rumours about where you would go. One rumour said that West Ham’s Harry Redknapp was interested and had watched you in Sittard. Rubbish, or was there a possibility to go to Upton Park?

“It was nonsense. I never heard anything like that.”

Finally you opted to go to Kilmarnock, why Kilmarnock?

“Everything was up in the air at Fortuna and I had to make a decision. After 4 years I felt it was time to come back to Britain. Kilmarnock had watched me at Fortuna and I was on a Bosman.”

There is one thing we haven’t understood when you played in Scotland. Why did you wear the number 4 shirt at Kilmarnock?

“It was just the number that they gave me after a player had left. There was no particular reason for it.”

Dutch rumours say that Fortuna have tried to persuade you to come back to Sittard. Have you ever been contacted by Jacq Opgenoord to discuss a shock return?

“Yes I have spoken to Fortuna about coming back. It was just before I came to Grimsby. I spoke to Jacq but it fell through.”

If you had to compare Grimsby Town to a Dutch premier league team, which would that be?

“I would say RKC or Mastricht.”

How come you always score more goals after the winter break?

“Fortuna were always better after the winter break and that helped me so far as goals went. Why that was I don’t know.”

Are you still following Fortuna Sittard, do you have some contacts in Sittard?

“Yes I always look for their results and I’m still in touch with Urvin Lee and Mark Burke.”

Which Grimsby Town player would be an asset to Fortuna Sittard?

“Probably Menno Willems who has just signed for us from Vitesse Arnhem – he knows the Dutch game ! That is a difficult question. There are lots of good technical players here at Grimsby.”

We intend to visit Grimsby. If you’re not interested in football, is there still a reason to go there?

“The fish and chips are very good and there are plenty of good pubs!”

This year you’ll be turning 30. Still some years to go of course, but any plans about your life after your professional football career?

“I’ll probably go into the family business (cars).”

What is your opinion of this interview and any final thought for the Fortuna support?

“It’s been a good interview and nice to chat about my time at Fortuna. I hope that they stay out of trouble at the bottom of the table and then can do well next season.”

Thank you. Best wishes

Mike Jeffrey

HD,PvE&RW
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 03:43:04 pm by Sammy Chung was King »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
Re: Mike Jeffrey interview with a Fortunate Sittard fan
« Reply #1 on September 22, 2021, 10:48:29 am by Sammy Chung was King »
I thought this guy was a great player at a time when we were struggling.

Prez

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on September 22, 2021, 10:55:35 am by Prez »
He was on fire, but like his namesake Alick, wasnt the same player after he got injured.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on September 22, 2021, 11:00:35 am by GazLaz »
Fortuna have got a good young manager at present. 34yo Sjors Ultee, one to keep an eye on.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on September 22, 2021, 11:08:56 am by Sammy Chung was King »
He had a lot of promise, he a top level player before the injury. Always thought we had a chance with him in the line up.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on September 22, 2021, 11:31:17 am by Colin C No.3 »
I wonder what sort of fee Newcastle paid us for him given Rotherham paid them £100,000 for him & after just 6 months with them Fortunate Sittard took him to Germany for £225,000.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on September 22, 2021, 11:48:21 am by Sammy Chung was King »
I wonder what sort of fee Newcastle paid us for him given Rotherham paid them £100,000 for him & after just 6 months with them Fortunate Sittard took him to Germany for £225,000.

I see to remember sixty grand plus David Roche and a future friendly. We were very hard up at the time .

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on September 22, 2021, 11:51:02 am by Colin C No.3 »

I see to remember sixty grand plus David Roche and a future friendly. We were very hard up at the time .
[/quote

‘Twas ever thus!

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on September 22, 2021, 11:52:17 am by Sammy Chung was King »

[/quote

Bills to pay a different time thankfully.

‘Twas ever thus!

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on September 22, 2021, 12:13:58 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Great interview - thanks for posting SCWK.

I used to live in Brunssum about 6 miles from Sittard in the south of the Netherlands, and believe me the natives would be displeased to hear that they were in Germany, or even 'Holland' which they refer to as 'above the rivers'. Although to get from Brunssum to Sittard the quickest way is actually through a salient of Germany on a strange road (locally called 'the international road) which was agreed as being Dutch and maintained by the Dutch all the way with no possibility to exit from it during the few miles it ran through what was then West Germany. 

From wiki:

Provincial road 274 (also known as N274) is a Dutch main road that runs from Roermond to Brunssum, crossing in and out of Germany for about 7 km through the German municipality Selfkant. The road was built in a time when some German municipalities (including Selfkant) were under Dutch control after World War II. Until 2002 the German section was maintained by the Dutch Rijkswaterstaat, the road had no level intersections, and it was not possible to leave or join the road from German territory. On February 25, 2002, the corridor was handed over to Germany, giving it the name Landesstraße 410 (L410). The road was further integrated into the German network, making it possible to leave and join from German territory. In contrast to other German roads, freight trucks are allowed to drive here on Sundays and national holidays, while in the rest of Germany this is prohibited.

By the way Colin Cramb also played for Fortuna Sittard a few years later.

CCno3 - are you confusing Fortuna Sittard with Fortuna Cologne which definitely is in Germany?

Edit: A great description of 'Holland' versus 'The Netherlands':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE_IUPInEuc
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 12:18:24 pm by Dutch Uncle »

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on September 22, 2021, 12:35:26 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
Great interview - thanks for posting SCWK.

I used to live in Brunssum about 6 miles from Sittard in the south of the Netherlands, and believe me the natives would be displeased to hear that they were in Germany, or even 'Holland' which they refer to as 'above the rivers'. Although to get from Brunssum to Sittard the quickest way is actually through a salient of Germany on a strange road (locally called 'the international road) which was agreed as being Dutch and maintained by the Dutch all the way with no possibility to exit from it during the few miles it ran through what was then West Germany. 

From wiki:

Provincial road 274 (also known as N274) is a Dutch main road that runs from Roermond to Brunssum, crossing in and out of Germany for about 7 km through the German municipality Selfkant. The road was built in a time when some German municipalities (including Selfkant) were under Dutch control after World War II. Until 2002 the German section was maintained by the Dutch Rijkswaterstaat, the road had no level intersections, and it was not possible to leave or join the road from German territory. On February 25, 2002, the corridor was handed over to Germany, giving it the name Landesstraße 410 (L410). The road was further integrated into the German network, making it possible to leave and join from German territory. In contrast to other German roads, freight trucks are allowed to drive here on Sundays and national holidays, while in the rest of Germany this is prohibited.

By the way Colin Cramb also played for Fortuna Sittard a few years later.

CCno3 - are you confusing Fortuna Sittard with Fortuna Cologne which definitely is in Germany?

Edit: A great description of 'Holland' versus 'The Netherlands':

No problem Dutch, I didn’t realise Cramb had played there as well. Another good goal scorer.

ctay

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on September 22, 2021, 12:41:24 pm by ctay »
Yeah, loved him as a player. It was a major signing when we got him for about 20k (I think) from Bolton. The groin injury he suffered stop him from scoring more when he was on fire and I am sure he would have scored plenty the season he went to Newcastle.

When he went we did get around 60k and Roche.....he looked good until he went to the nightclub in Southend (I think it was!).

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on September 22, 2021, 02:04:25 pm by VivaRovers »
Am I wrong here, or is this a 20 year old interview?

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on September 22, 2021, 02:07:16 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Am I wrong here, or is this a 20 year old interview?

Geplaatst door admin | 6 april 2001 | Zaanse Methoden 2000-2001 |     

Put up by admin in 2001

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on September 22, 2021, 02:08:04 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
Didn’t we have him on loan initially and then bought him from Bolton with the use of financial donations from businesses and individuals in Donny as the club couldn’t afford the fee themselves?

ctay

• Forum Member
Re: Mike Jeffrey interview with a Fortuna Sittard fan
« Reply #15 on September 22, 2021, 04:54:23 pm by ctay »
Yes we did indeed. I am sure his dad made a donation to the fee for us to buy him as he was desperate for it to become permanent!

raithy

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on September 22, 2021, 07:16:07 pm by raithy »
My cousin John Linford played for Fortuna Sittard 1985 - 1987 with 50 appearances and 24 goals

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on September 23, 2021, 04:04:58 pm by Dutch Uncle »
My cousin John Linford played for Fortuna Sittard 1985 - 1987 with 50 appearances and 24 goals

I left the Brunssum/Sittard area in 1981 and was wondering why the name seemed familiar. I moved to The Hague (for the next 30+ years) and then I saw he played for ADO Den Haag, and successfully as well.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on September 25, 2021, 02:32:18 am by BobG »

Brilliant Dutch. I had no idea of the ramifications underlying the Dutch West Indies.

And is it really 1981 since you lived in Brunssum? Ye Gods.... I can still see that flat as clear as day.

BobG

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on September 25, 2021, 01:13:52 pm by Dutch Uncle »
1981 it was, and a memorable day when I moved to the Hague on 9-9-81, and not just for the mathematical thing going on there with the date itself.

I was introduced to my two new colleagues on a 3 man project - they were both Norwegian. That night there was the famous Norway-England football match - 'Maggie Thatcher can you hear me, your boys took a helluva beating'

On 10 November two bleary-eyed Norwegians were crestfallen to realise their new colleague was Welsh  :lol:

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on September 27, 2021, 02:59:53 am by BobG »
I've looked out for VVV's results ever since. Liked their name! And wasn't Evoluon impressive? I believe it's been closed to the public quite a long time now though.

Bob

German Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on September 27, 2021, 10:23:01 am by German Rover »
I've looked out for VVV's results ever since. Liked their name! And wasn't Evoluon impressive? I believe it's been closed to the public quite a long time now though.

Bob

When I lived in Monchengladbach, I used to go across the border to watch VVV quite a bit. Love the ground with the staircase down to the pitch. must be a killer after 90 minutes charging about the place at full pace then having to climb a mountain to get sorted after the match

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on September 27, 2021, 10:49:15 am by Dutch Uncle »
I think Bob you may be mixing MVV (Maastricht) with VVV (Venlo), it was Maastricht we spent a lot of time in.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012