Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:17:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Mistakes last night  (Read 3448 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Mistakes last night
« on September 29, 2021, 05:50:53 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Just forced myself to watch the goals again. The number of mistakes we made was truly harrowing.

First goal: Close's suicide pass was the root, but I do wonder if Anderson cold have retrieved the situation by clearing out man and ball as the pass came across. He looked favourite to get the ball had he thrown himself in.

Second goal: Awful defending by Close. He fell asleep as their man peeled off at the back post and was unmarked to score.

Third goal. Just horrific. 13 seconds from a goalkick to us to the ball being in the back of the net. No challenge for a header on half way from the goalkick. Header placed to the forward, who had dropped ten yards off Anderson and was unmarked. He played it to the unmarked winger breaking through on the blindside and outpacing Williams. The winger then turned, sedately, not Messiesque leaving Williams out of the game because he turned like me getting out of bed. Decent cross in and there were three players unmarked at the back post.

Fourth goal. Possibly even worse. Goalkeeper throws the ball out wide right to a player in thirty yards of space. The move comes across towards the left wing, where Vilca (I think) gets a toe on the ball and appears to have stopped the attack. No. They pick it up and fire it down the left channel where the winger has literally no-one within 15 yards of him. Free to stop the ball, get it onto his right foot and cross it in unmolested. Crosses to a plyer 15 yards out with no Rovers player within 3 yards of him. Anderson at least tries to close him down as the other defenders stop and watch, but the lad has time to chest the ball down and volley home.

Fifth goal: Williams loses a tackle 35 yards out and i out of the game. Once again the left winger is unmarked and able to pick out an unmarked striker central on the edge of the box. He rolls the ball to another player with 5-6 yards of space on the right side of the box and it's a free shot to finish.

Sixth goal: Just shambolic. Defensive line for the free kick from the wide left is like a dog's back leg. So when four of their players break the line, half the defence put their hands up for offside, but Oluwu (I think) is playing them all on. Ends up with four Ipswich players ahead of their marker on the six yard line. Just a question of which one would score.

Appalling mistakes and lack of concentration for each one of the goals.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 05:58:17 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
Re: Mistakes last night
« Reply #1 on September 29, 2021, 05:56:58 pm by DearneValleyRover »
That’s the galling thing Billy it’s not as if Ipswich were unplayable, to be honest I thought they were poor, we just gave them the goals

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on September 29, 2021, 08:31:13 pm by Bessie Red »
Just forced myself to watch the goals again. The number of mistakes we made was truly harrowing.

First goal: Close's suicide pass was the root, but I do wonder if Anderson cold have retrieved the situation by clearing out man and ball as the pass came across. He looked favourite to get the ball had he thrown himself in.

Second goal: Awful defending by Close. He fell asleep as their man peeled off at the back post and was unmarked to score.

Third goal. Just horrific. 13 seconds from a goalkick to us to the ball being in the back of the net. No challenge for a header on half way from the goalkick. Header placed to the forward, who had dropped ten yards off Anderson and was unmarked. He played it to the unmarked winger breaking through on the blindside and outpacing Williams. The winger then turned, sedately, not Messiesque leaving Williams out of the game because he turned like me getting out of bed. Decent cross in and there were three players unmarked at the back post.

Fourth goal. Possibly even worse. Goalkeeper throws the ball out wide right to a player in thirty yards of space. The move comes across towards the left wing, where Vilca (I think) gets a toe on the ball and appears to have stopped the attack. No. They pick it up and fire it down the left channel where the winger has literally no-one within 15 yards of him. Free to stop the ball, get it onto his right foot and cross it in unmolested. Crosses to a plyer 15 yards out with no Rovers player within 3 yards of him. Anderson at least tries to close him down as the other defenders stop and watch, but the lad has time to chest the ball down and volley home.

Fifth goal: Williams loses a tackle 35 yards out and i out of the game. Once again the left winger is unmarked and able to pick out an unmarked striker central on the edge of the box. He rolls the ball to another player with 5-6 yards of space on the right side of the box and it's a free shot to finish.

Sixth goal: Just shambolic. Defensive line for the free kick from the wide left is like a dog's back leg. So when four of their players break the line, half the defence put their hands up for offside, but Oluwu (I think) is playing them all on. Ends up with four Ipswich players ahead of their marker on the six yard line. Just a question of which one would score.

Appalling mistakes and lack of concentration for each one of the goals.
Good analysis there BST. I think it may be Gardner not Close that their player peeled away from, not that it really matters. When I was managing Bessacarr U18's I would have been appalled if they defended like Rovers did last night against let's face it, a poor side. There was no pride in their work, no desire to keep the score down, no leadership, no aggression all the basic things you need just to compete on a football pitch let alone try and win a game were missing. If they do not show those qualities on Saturday even if they lose to me it shows that they just don't give a shit and we are definitely down.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on September 29, 2021, 08:43:19 pm by roversdude »
Totally agree with that BST, the first goal summed up the rest of the game. Shocking pass from Close but (watching on iFollow) I still thought Anderson was favourite to at the least cut out the cross.
Worst game I have seen Close have, Williams came to us as a speedy player (allegedly) I think last night someone must have tied his laces together, either that or he wasn’t too bothered about chasing back for the 4th (or maybe 5th) goal
Olowu looked our best centre half last night

acacia94

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on September 29, 2021, 08:45:51 pm by acacia94 »
It was staggering BST how we managed to change positions of possession and advantage – goal kick – throw in and within seconds lose the ball and concede. Not really seen many games where there was that degree of ineptitude. Was struck how bad Knoyle was. Just pumped aimless balls 30 yards to nobody. Cukur is awful. The ball just bounces off him. Cant remember him winning a ball and turning it into something positive.
We moved a few months ago and now suffer BBC South East local telly. Subjected to the Ipswich rout again tonight at 6.45. Every pissin goal –  It was like rubbing shit in an open wound.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on September 29, 2021, 08:46:41 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Bessie, yes you're right, it was Gardener for the second goal.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on September 29, 2021, 08:49:08 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Acacia.

I said to our kid last night that I'm struggling to recall Cukur winning a single aerial challenge all season. He's headed a couple when he's been unmarked but he just bounces off defenders if they compete for the ball.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on September 29, 2021, 08:56:22 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Cukur is a big lad but you need some core strength or else you will just bounce off centre backs. He’s what 18/19 and needs to develop his fitness and conditioning more that much is clear.

Questions of Graham Younger and Wellens for signing of on this lad and a few others. Love to know how many games in the flesh they watch of him? Guessing non

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on September 29, 2021, 08:56:56 pm by Canadian Rover »
Nevermind them hitting the woodwork at 6 Nil up and Tom Anderson saving one with his face.

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on September 29, 2021, 09:03:12 pm by StocksArmy »
It was Gardner for the 2nd goal. Not that it matters. Was still appalling.

DRFCSouth

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on September 29, 2021, 09:17:11 pm by DRFCSouth »
Too many goals originating down our right. Not enough closing down or attempts at blocking. Massive gaping holes in the defence.

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on September 29, 2021, 09:23:04 pm by Donnybax »
There has to be something wrong with Anderson. He’s been absolutely awful since he came back from concussion

jamesrover17

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on September 29, 2021, 09:26:25 pm by jamesrover17 »
There has to be something wrong with Anderson. He’s been absolutely awful since he came back from concussion

He’s been awful since Balcombe smashed him into next week at Fleetwood

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on September 29, 2021, 09:32:58 pm by Upton Rover »
Biggest mistake was RW been in charge
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 06:52:44 am by Upton Rover »

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on September 29, 2021, 09:53:22 pm by andyst79 »
Big difference when Butler's not at the side of him either

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on September 29, 2021, 10:04:38 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »

He’s been awful since Balcombe smashed him into next week at Fleetwood

Ruined him.

TheFunk

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on September 29, 2021, 10:06:48 pm by TheFunk »
The sooner Anderson is back on the right side the better and hopefully Cam John on the left.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on September 29, 2021, 10:07:52 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
How do we get Anderson back to his old self? It isn’t just a case of poor team around him he’s losing 50/50s etc. I hoped that after a summer away he’d come back fresh and confident again but seems to have continued from that Balcome challenge

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on September 29, 2021, 10:20:23 pm by roversdude »
Seems to have lost a bit of weight along with his air of invincibility.
I’d like to see Olowu given a chance alongside him

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on September 29, 2021, 10:33:10 pm by drfchound »
Tom showed his lack of pace when trying to track their winger for the first goal.

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on September 30, 2021, 06:55:25 am by andysly »
I've played in some half decent sides and there was always a post mortem after conceding, somebody would cop the blame and get bawled out. I don't see that with us, we just seem to shrug the shoulders and get on with conceding the next one.
I know it's harking back but Rob Jones would have gone ballistic at the level of defending for those goals

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on September 30, 2021, 10:32:12 am by andyst79 »
What I'd give right now for Jones n McCombe
at the back, say what you want about Saunders and the style of football but that team just didn't know when it was beat and no way would it have rolled over like the other night

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on September 30, 2021, 11:15:26 am by DonnyOsmond »
What's Anderson's record as Captain? :laugh:

acacia94

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on September 30, 2021, 11:32:33 am by acacia94 »
It's very true Tom never came back the same defender after that injury. I guess that stuff can affect long term in different ways. Certainly not the rock he was but he's not got any mates around him now to rely on. He must be feeling pretty shattered with what's happening right now. Imagine him in his pomp and Rob Jones as CB pairing!

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on September 30, 2021, 11:34:51 am by Donnywolf »
Nevermind them hitting the woodwork at 6 Nil up and Tom Anderson saving one with his face.

I was pleased they seemed to settle after that because after those 4 goals they looked as if they would score with any attempt on goal {a la Watford 78 away for those who went] be that a cross or goalkeeper clearance

Pleased that Ref also reduced added time from 7 or 8 mnutes to 4 at the end

If ITFC miss Auto promo or Play offs on GD they might regret both of the above

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on September 30, 2021, 01:15:29 pm by MachoMadness »
It's very true Tom never came back the same defender after that injury. I guess that stuff can affect long term in different ways. Certainly not the rock he was but he's not got any mates around him now to rely on. He must be feeling pretty shattered with what's happening right now. Imagine him in his pomp and Rob Jones as CB pairing!
Concussions are nasty business. Even if only subconsciously, he'll have doubts about putting his body on the line in the way that he used to. One bad knock can end your career. Not his fault but it's definitely affecting him.

welloffside

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on September 30, 2021, 01:33:32 pm by welloffside »

Much has been said in the National Press recently about the cumulative effects of heading the ball. Jeff Astle, Gorden Mcqueen, and Jack Charlton have all suffered from debilitating degeneration later in life, attributed to the cumulative heading.

Truthfully,if I was a 'powerhouse, win every header, goal kick thumperback',I'd probably have it on my mind too.

I'm not suggesting our central defenders are ducking out. But the clattering Anderson received from the keeper may genuinely  have unsettled him.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on September 30, 2021, 01:36:07 pm by Filo »
That full on point blank volley to the face wouldn’t have helped his cause

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on September 30, 2021, 02:13:43 pm by ravenrover »
I was in hospital for several days with concussion after being knocked out playing rugby for DVHS it never stopped me from carrying on playing rugby and playing centre half for many years. I don't buy all this talk about the effect of heading a ball. We hear of a few high profile players who have succumbed to this terrible illness but what about the thousands of other pro footballers. Medical evidence suggests there is a link but how many succumb to it away from sport by comparison, my old Mum being one of them

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on September 30, 2021, 02:18:04 pm by GazLaz »
I was in hospital for several days with concussion after being knocked out playing rugby for DVHS it never stopped me from carrying on playing rugby and playing centre half for many years. I don't buy all this talk about the effect of heading a ball. We hear of a few high profile players who have succumbed to this terrible illness but what about the thousands of other pro footballers. Medical evidence suggests there is a link but how many succumb to it away from sport by comparison, my old Mum being one of them

I’m pretty sure they’ve measured the affects across sports and brain injuries are substantially higher than in non sports people. That’s ok though because you got knocked out once and carried on playing for the Dog and Duck and your mums ill but never played second row for Harlequins.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012