Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:05:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Brexit - how is it going?  (Read 6625 times)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
Re: Brexit - how is it going?
« Reply #120 on November 16, 2021, 06:16:12 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Yeah, we need a proper inspirational leader, like Sir Winston Starmer.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #121 on November 16, 2021, 06:18:59 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Animal from the Muppets is more inspirational than Boris, so he'll do.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #122 on November 16, 2021, 07:16:00 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Should be a landslide for Labour in the next GE then!

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #123 on November 16, 2021, 08:02:20 pm by belton rover »
We have had a nice example of Brexit. My wife's grandmother died in Italy this summer. She's the next of kin and we are trying to sell the old lass's house (for a pittance). My wife had to go to the Italian Embassy in London to have her signature witnessed on some of the sale documents whcih she then posted to the solicitor in Italy.

That was 28 days ago.

27 days ago, the Royal Mail document tracker had them as being ready to be shipped to Italy.

Then no update for weeks. The solicitor getting frantic. The buyer threatening to pull out  because of the delay.

This lunchtime, the tracker has just been updated to say the documents are now in transit to Italy. We've contacted the Royal Mail and been told the delay is sue to Brexit paperwork.

Not as serious as yours DU and I hope that one is sorted soon. But this is an example of that must be being repeated thousands and thousands of times every day of every week.

‘Royal Mail blame Brexit for own incompetence’

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #124 on November 16, 2021, 08:09:25 pm by drfchound »
We have had a nice example of Brexit. My wife's grandmother died in Italy this summer. She's the next of kin and we are trying to sell the old lass's house (for a pittance). My wife had to go to the Italian Embassy in London to have her signature witnessed on some of the sale documents whcih she then posted to the solicitor in Italy.

That was 28 days ago.

27 days ago, the Royal Mail document tracker had them as being ready to be shipped to Italy.

Then no update for weeks. The solicitor getting frantic. The buyer threatening to pull out  because of the delay.

This lunchtime, the tracker has just been updated to say the documents are now in transit to Italy. We've contacted the Royal Mail and been told the delay is sue to Brexit paperwork.

Not as serious as yours DU and I hope that one is sorted soon. But this is an example of that must be being repeated thousands and thousands of times every day of every week.

‘Royal Mail blame Brexit for own incompetence’

I sold an eBay item to someone in Italy.
The parcel was delivered in four days.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #125 on November 16, 2021, 08:16:31 pm by normal rules »
I know a lady based in Scicily who exports Lambrettas to the uk. She puts them in a lorry, 2 days later, they are here.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #126 on November 16, 2021, 09:04:41 pm by belton rover »
Perhaps it’s just Billy who has a problem.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #127 on November 16, 2021, 09:26:16 pm by SydneyRover »
Maybe we should get the lady in Italy and hound to sort out the brexit mess

KeithMyath

• Forum Member
« Reply #128 on November 17, 2021, 09:14:27 am by KeithMyath »
I buy a lot of vinyl, been on Discogs collecting for about 10 years. My purchases with Europe was about 60%, uk 25%, 5% ROW. When the Brexit changes came in this year, it’s decimated my ability to buy at a reasonable price.

The cost of buying from Europe with VAT and additional shipping has now made it not viable. Records I could pick up for for £10 in Europe are now costing me £20+ and you literally do not know when the records will arrive wether they will take 3-4 days as they did before Brexit to my worst being 13 weeks (Holland). Admittedly most are now within 14 days but  that is a huge difference in time & cost.

What this has done is propel the domestic 2nd hand vinyl market to ridiculous heights, it’s now at a price point where sales have stagnated.

As minuscule a problem this is in the grand scheme of things relating to Brexit, personally this has been the one that’s hit me the hardest. 

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #129 on December 17, 2021, 02:04:37 am by SydneyRover »
Notes from a small Island (shameless steal)

''Van drivers in UK will need new operating licences to enter EU from May
Latest Brexit red tape will come into force alongside a series of further checks at Dover and other ports''

''The licence will cost van drivers up to £1,100, a significant burden for solo operators, industry leaders said.

Drivers will have to fork out £257 in an application fee and a further £401 for the licence. Another £401 “continuation fee” will be payable every five years to retain the licence, according to gov.uk.

The rules will hit small traders such as couriers or importers of wine or vintage and antique goods, the Road Haulage Association said.

Rod McKenzie, the managing director of policy and public affairs at the RHA, said: “This is just more bureaucracy. It’s been flagged for some time but could be a problem for the one-man bands or small operators who are simply too busy running their business day to day to have noticed this.”

Drivers will also need to assign a staff member or themselves as “transport manager” – a named individual to ensure the driver follows industry regulations and tax payments in the EU after Brexit.

The person will either have to demonstrate they have managed fleets of vehicles for at least 10 years or will have to complete a course to qualify for a transport manager qualification.

A slew of other rules in the UK will hit hauliers of all sizes from 1 January when EU exporters need to register for a goods vehicle movement service (GVMS) as full customs controls will apply to all goods moving in both directions between the EU and Great Britain.

Hauliers who do not have the paperwork will not be allowed to board a ferry or shuttle.

f**k Business

Vote for boris

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #130 on December 17, 2021, 11:01:16 am by Metalmicky »
Free trade deal signed with OZ...... is it good? - I'm sure the experts on here will know.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59690080

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #131 on December 17, 2021, 11:08:25 am by Glyn_Wigley »
Free trade deal signed with OZ...... is it good? - I'm sure the experts on here will know.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59690080

It's not clear if any origin rules will apply.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012