Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:47:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Brexit - how is it going?  (Read 6627 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Re: Brexit - how is it going?
« Reply #60 on October 26, 2021, 10:32:22 am by selby »
 Do I detect a bit of tetchiness and anti British sentiment about this morning lads? It's not like you two.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on October 26, 2021, 10:34:28 am by SydneyRover »
Do I detect a bit of tetchiness and anti British sentiment about this morning lads? It's not like you two.

what sort of car is the tetchiness?

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on October 26, 2021, 10:49:16 am by DonnyOsmond »
One day, we will look back on euro politics, not as brexit, but as eurexit. As country by country will leave and the unelected, undemocratic dictators in Brussels will be shown the door.

...but they are elected?

KeithMyath

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on October 26, 2021, 11:42:48 am by KeithMyath »
  Buy British Billy.

We dont manufacture anymore, deregulation in the 80’s had a boom effect that was always to be short lived and since then manufacturing in the Uk, has lagged far behind practically every other European nation. We had seen a rise with the freedom of movement of cheaper Eastern European workers, but now that has come to an end. It’s not a Tory issue either , Blair did nothing in his time as prime minister. So how do you expect companies to buy British when we don’t manufacture anymore?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #64 on October 26, 2021, 12:33:22 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

In what world is wanting Britain to be able to not have to pump millions of gallons of raw shite into rivers is considered anti-British?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on October 26, 2021, 12:42:55 pm by SydneyRover »
  Buy British Billy.

We dont manufacture anymore, deregulation in the 80’s had a boom effect that was always to be short lived and since then manufacturing in the Uk, has lagged far behind practically every other European nation. We had seen a rise with the freedom of movement of cheaper Eastern European workers, but now that has come to an end. It’s not a Tory issue either , Blair did nothing in his time as prime minister. So how do you expect companies to buy British when we don’t manufacture anymore?

The Australian coalition wouldn't support the car industries here and let them walk away, there were so much industry and jobs lost it was quite unbelievable, many 10s of thousands of workers lost their jobs and the country lost a whole layer of manufacturing from the support industries. Every car is now imported.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on October 26, 2021, 01:09:21 pm by DonnyOsmond »

In what world is wanting Britain to be able to not have to pump millions of gallons of raw shite into rivers is considered anti-British?

Aye. There's a difference between wanting Britain to be better and being anti-British. People shouldn't just blindly accept what their country does.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on October 26, 2021, 01:23:01 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
  Buy British Billy.

This seems to contradict your view

https://mobile.twitter.com/Jefferson_MFG/status/1452851696011464707

The UK is the 9th largest manufacturer in the world. According to Global Upside, only Germany, France and Italy of European countries are above us in terms of Global manufacturing output. On a personal basis, some of the companies who I work with that export across the globe are seeing decent growth too. It’s just getting the products out there that’s the problem.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 01:25:41 pm by Herbert Anchovy »

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on October 26, 2021, 01:27:00 pm by Herbert Anchovy »

Spot on. This is an absolute scandal.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on October 26, 2021, 02:58:37 pm by Axholme Lion »
I always make the effort to do my research and buy British where ever i can. I'm in the process of renovating a bungalow and it surprising how much you still can get that's made here. As an example i have sourced a new boiler, doors, windows, light switches, curtain poles, radiators, washing machine, vacuum cleaner and various other items.

KeithMyath

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on October 26, 2021, 11:28:49 pm by KeithMyath »
  Buy British Billy.

This seems to contradict your view

https://mobile.twitter.com/Jefferson_MFG/status/1452851696011464707

The UK is the 9th largest manufacturer in the world. According to Global Upside, only Germany, France and Italy of European countries are above us in terms of Global manufacturing output. On a personal basis, some of the companies who I work with that export across the globe are seeing decent growth too. It’s just getting the products out there that’s the problem.

We still manufacture but not to the levels we did in the early 90’s. we we have lost 1.4 million jobs in manufacturing since 1997. That’s not all to do with government policy, obviously technology has thrived in the last 25 years. But that’s still 4x more manufacturing jobs lost that in Germany, France & Italy over the same period. I worked in manufacturing in Doncaster for a good 10 years, before it started to implode.  we have lost a lot of companies in the town, just think Wheatley hall road early 90’s. Ici, Case, Crompton lighting, invensys etc all gone, and now housing and retail plots. 

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on October 26, 2021, 11:32:50 pm by Filo »

Govt ministers have done a u turn on this, how stupid must those Tory arse lickers that voted for it must feel now

KeithMyath

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on October 26, 2021, 11:37:22 pm by KeithMyath »
I always make the effort to do my research and buy British where ever i can. I'm in the process of renovating a bungalow and it surprising how much you still can get that's made here. As an example i have sourced a new boiler, doors, windows, light switches, curtain poles, radiators, washing machine, vacuum cleaner and various other items.

This is true, but I’d bet that a good 50% of that washing machine & vacuum was made a long way from our shores. Assembling doesn’t always equate to manufacturing. As I find out recently when trying to get spares for my UK manufactured stoves cooker. Only to be told that they are struggling to source parts from China currently.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on October 27, 2021, 04:21:27 pm by Metalmicky »
EU courts imposing fines on Poland

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59064883

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #74 on October 27, 2021, 09:38:02 pm by SydneyRover »
32% of people voting against their own interests, or are they the 'ruling classes' in Poland?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on October 28, 2021, 10:16:43 pm by SydneyRover »
........... what's that skippy, someone cocked up?

(''Covid-19 pandemic on the UK economy: “the largest fall in economic output since 1709”'

....... ''Yet the Office for Budget Responsibility, in its report on Wednesday’s budget, estimates that the long-term impact of Brexit will be more than twice as great as Covid. It thinks that Brexit will reduce UK productivity, and hence GDP per capita, by 4%, while the impact of Covid on GDP will only be 2%, with a slightly smaller impact on GDP per capita''

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/oct/28/economy-recovering-covid-brexit-eu

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on October 30, 2021, 09:55:44 am by Herbert Anchovy »
A leaked letter written by the French PM to the President of the EU regarding the ongoing Fishing issue.

“It is indispensable to demonstrate to European public opinion that more damage is suffered by leaving the EU than remaining.”

So in other words, the EU must clearly demonstrate that the UK has been damaged by leaving the EU?

The French do love a hissy fit don’t they when things don’t go their way…especially when an election is looming. I wonder whether the EU will proceed with the best interests of their relationship with the UK or capitulate to the petulance of the French?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on October 30, 2021, 10:32:06 am by SydneyRover »
Not sure why they are bothering HA, the damage is bleedingly obvious.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on October 30, 2021, 10:37:33 am by Herbert Anchovy »
Not sure why they are bothering HA, the damage is bleedingly obvious.

Any criticism of the approach and attitude of our French cousins Syd?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #79 on October 30, 2021, 10:45:52 am by SydneyRover »
I'll wait to find out which party is not abiding by the agreement HA

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #80 on October 30, 2021, 10:47:44 am by SydneyRover »
Britain doesn't have a great record over other countries boundaries, we fought the cod wars with Iceland over hundreds of years and not being in the right once.

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #81 on October 30, 2021, 11:35:50 am by Not Now Kato »
I thought we held all the cards, or did someone lie to us?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #82 on October 30, 2021, 11:50:39 am by SydneyRover »
so long, and thanks for all the fish

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on October 30, 2021, 12:36:26 pm by Herbert Anchovy »

The French are attempting to fish in UK waters without the pre requisite licences agreed within the Brexit deal.

Irrespective of that, do you think the French behaviour in clearly wanting to see the UK punished is becoming of a nation that wants a close and mutual partnership with us?

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on October 30, 2021, 10:03:49 pm by Sprotyrover »
Britain doesn't have a great record over other countries boundaries, we fought the cod wars with Iceland over hundreds of years and not being in the right once.
Make your mind up you whingeing Pom, if Aussies saw half your posts on here you would get filled in, you are NOT one of us any more!

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #85 on October 30, 2021, 10:07:07 pm by SydneyRover »

The French are attempting to fish in UK waters without the pre requisite licences agreed within the Brexit deal.

Irrespective of that, do you think the French behaviour in clearly wanting to see the UK punished is becoming of a nation that wants a close and mutual partnership with us?

The agreement was, that the UK would issue licences to boats that had historically fished the area, the UK are now saying that logbooks are not being accepted and they want gps history. Nothing about this in the original agreement. Many of these boats don't have logbooks.

The French are pissed at the moment because we went behind their backs and dumped a very valuable subs deal, johnson doesn't help with the dumb 'get a grip' jibe in broken French when we know he can speak the language perfectly well, he's just playing to the 'we hate the French' no matter what the topic. I don't think either side is being helpful. As I said the UK has a history, look at Ireland look at Iceland etc the French have a history too.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #86 on October 30, 2021, 10:08:00 pm by SydneyRover »
Make your mind up you whingeing Pom, if Aussies saw half your posts on here you would get filled in, you are NOT one of us any more!

Hey sprot f**k off, nicely though

KeithMyath

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on October 30, 2021, 10:47:27 pm by KeithMyath »
“You are not one of us any more” I don’t know Syd but I’m pretty sure he isn’t 12.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #88 on October 31, 2021, 06:53:02 pm by selby »
  Sure have History Syd, we have dug them out twice from Germany's tour of Europe  and they still hate us.
 Probably still sick about us locking up their hero the little Italian import Napoleon, come to think of it they haven't won a lot for quite a while. there is certainly more films of them trudging back from beatings than going the other way.

Hounslowrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #89 on October 31, 2021, 07:20:53 pm by Hounslowrover »
Surely Selby we only dug them out because of American support. Also, having had a house in France, they don't hate us, only this weekend we had a WhatsApp to join in with a birthday celebration. They may dislike our government's attitude, but then do so many  Brits.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012