Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:34:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Water security  (Read 3139 times)

bahrain rover

• Forum Member
Re: Water security
« Reply #30 on October 18, 2021, 03:42:33 pm by bahrain rover »
We have desalination here in Saudi. We have 2 taps in the kitchen one for sweet water drinking & cooking quality (desalinated) rest of house is a lesser processed non potable water. System works fine once your used to it.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on October 23, 2021, 11:09:55 pm by SydneyRover »
''The Yorkshire MPs who are happy to allow untreated sewage in Britain’s waters''

''MPs vote not to stop the discharge of untreated sewage to Britain’s coastal waters''

Fancy a dip?

https://yorkshirebylines.co.uk/news/environment/the-yorkshire-mps-who-are-happy-to-allow-untreated-sewage-in-britains-waters/

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on October 23, 2021, 11:22:44 pm by Filo »
''The Yorkshire MPs who are happy to allow untreated sewage in Britain’s waters''

''MPs vote not to stop the discharge of untreated sewage to Britain’s coastal waters''

Fancy a dip?

https://yorkshirebylines.co.uk/news/environment/the-yorkshire-mps-who-are-happy-to-allow-untreated-sewage-in-britains-waters/

Nick Fletcher towing the party line as usual, what were Don Valley voters thinking?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on October 23, 2021, 11:26:23 pm by SydneyRover »

Fancy a dip?

Nick Fletcher towing the party line as usual, what were Don Valley voters thinking?

Oh I do like to be beside the seaside ......................

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on October 24, 2021, 09:06:52 am by normal rules »
Always makes me wonder when beaches on the east coast get blue flag status when I consider all the literal shit we pump into them.

KeithMyath

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on October 25, 2021, 10:14:36 am by KeithMyath »
Always makes me wonder when beaches on the east coast get blue flag status when I consider all the literal shit we pump into them.

The entirety of Cornwall and Devon’s coast is on high alert for sewage around the coastline. Just in time for holidaymakers down for half term. I picked up a nasty ear infection this time  last year from sewage surfing, so always wear ear plugs now, but not ideal.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on October 25, 2021, 10:27:57 am by SydneyRover »
Maybe there should be two flags, a blue and a brown one?

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on October 25, 2021, 06:46:04 pm by Nudga »
So if there's a water shortage, why are they pumping shit into the water we do have?

Feels like we're under attack on so many levels this last couple of years.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on October 25, 2021, 06:48:57 pm by drfchound »
Sewage has been pumped into rivers and the sea for donkeys years.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on October 25, 2021, 09:27:07 pm by SydneyRover »
Led by donkeys

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on October 25, 2021, 09:46:32 pm by SydneyRover »
So if there's a water shortage, why are they pumping shit into the water we do have?

Feels like we're under attack on so many levels this last couple of years.

Maybe donkeys would be a better choice.

''Macquarie Asset Management agrees to acquire majority stake in Southern Water''

''Macquarie wades back into UK with majority stake in Southern Water
Australian investment bank left Thames Water saddled with debt when it sold up in 2017

''Sewage discharge rules eased over fears of chemical shortage
Wastewater plants in England offered waiver because of impact of lorry driver crisis
''

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/aug/09/macquarie-wades-back-into-uk-with-majority-stake-in-southern-water

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/sep/07/government-ease-sewage-discharge-rules-amid-chemical-shortage

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on October 25, 2021, 11:06:01 pm by SydneyRover »
UK water and sewerage privatised in 1989

Estimated £57Bn paid in dividends 1989-2020

Estimated between £150-£650Bn is needed to upgrade the system.

Sewage discharged into rivers for more than 3,000,000 hours

Leave it for the next generation.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on October 25, 2021, 11:26:29 pm by SydneyRover »
''Thirty years on, what has water privatisation achieved?

This summer marks the 30th anniversary of the 1989 Water Act which privatised water in England and Wales, selling it to private water and waste water firms for £7.6 billion. The Environment asked supporters and opponents how they rate the sell-off’s outcomes''

An interesting view of the problems from all sides discussing what the problems were before privatisation, to dividends paid by debt to maybe a suggestion that EU regulations pushed the decision to privatise? and increase drinking water quality and much more.

''However the UK was becoming subject to European directives, including the 1998 Drinking Water Directive and the Urban Wastewater Treatment Directive, compliance with which would be mandatory''

https://www.ciwem.org/the-environment/how-should-water-and-environmental-management-firms-tap,-retain-and-promote-female-talent

foxbat

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on October 29, 2021, 01:32:08 pm by foxbat »
now its official
'Don't risk swimming in Britain's rivers':
Environment Agency boss issues astonishing warning amid outcry at raw sewage being dumped into water .

as for the Don
Years spent cleaning up the River Don - once named as one of the most polluted rivers in Europe - only for local Tory MP Miriam Cates
to vote in favour of allowing water companies from dumping raw sewage into the UK’s rivers.

@theriverstrust  @YorksBylines @SheffieldFoE https://t.co/u9H4AXDKu0

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on October 29, 2021, 01:36:02 pm by Filo »
now its official
Environment Agency boss issues astonishing warning amid outcry at raw sewage being dumped into water .

as for the Don
Years spent cleaning up the River Don - once named as one of the most polluted rivers in Europe - only for local Tory MP Miriam Cates
to vote in favour of allowing water companies from dumping raw sewage into the UK’s rivers.

And Don Valley Tory arse licker Nick Fletcher

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on October 29, 2021, 01:54:33 pm by drfchound »
now its official

as for the Don

…..who actually won a democratic election.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on October 29, 2021, 02:05:01 pm by Filo »
now its official

as for the Don

Which has no relevance to the pumping of raw sewage into our rivers

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on October 29, 2021, 02:12:06 pm by drfchound »
now its official

as for the Don

And calling him an arse licker has relevance?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on October 29, 2021, 02:18:06 pm by Filo »
now its official

as for the Don

Yes it does, you’ll not agree without a doubt, but Nick Fletcher towed the party line in that vote rather than put the interests of his constituents first and voted in effect to pollute the River Don, do you agree with pumping raw sewage into our Rivers?

So by definition he is an arse licker to his superiors, someone that can’t make his own mind up

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on October 29, 2021, 02:26:00 pm by drfchound »
now its official

as for the Don

Yes it does, you’ll not agree without a doubt, but Nick Fletcher towed the party line in that vote rather than put the interests of his constituents first and voted in effect to pollute the River Don, do you agree with pumping raw sewage into our Rivers?

So by definition he is an arse licker to his superiors, someone that can’t make his own mind up

So following that logic there are dozens of MPs of all Party’s who are arse lickers.
I wonder if you would say the same thing if one of your lot voted on something you didn’t like.
To answer your question, no I don’t approve of pumping sewage into rivers but I don’t know why they do it either.
I also don’t know what,  if any, alternatives there are.
I heard a snippet on a news article a couple of days ago which reported that over population had caused our sewage systems to become overloaded and the release of effluent had become inevitable.
Disposal of other things that shouldn’t be put into the system, like fats and wet wipes etc had further damaged the system.
I have no idea whether that is true.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on October 29, 2021, 02:32:24 pm by Filo »
now its official

as for the Don

So following that logic there are dozens of MPs of all Party’s who are arse lickers.
I wonder if you would say the same thing if one of your lot voted on something you didn’t like.
To answer your question, no I don’t approve of pumping sewage into rivers but I don’t know why they do it either.
I heard a snippet on a news article a couple of days ago which reported that over population had caused our sewage systems to become overloaded and the release of effluent had become inevitable.
Disposal of other things that shouldn’t be put into the system, like fats and wet wipes etc had further damaged the system.

I’m against the whip system being used from all sides of the house, MP’s are elected to represent their constituents views, that is my opinion, and in my opinion that is how democracy should work

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on October 29, 2021, 02:37:18 pm by drfchound »
now its official

as for the Don

I’m against the whip system being used from all sides of the house, MP’s are elected to represent their constituents views, that is my opinion, and in my opinion that is how democracy should work

Why do you think that anyone would approve of releasing sewage into the seas or rivers.
Is there any truth in what I had heard reported.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on October 29, 2021, 02:43:51 pm by Filo »
now its official

as for the Don

Why do you think that anyone would approve of releasing sewage into the seas or rivers.

Two points

1) To show we are not complying with EU directives after Brexit

2) Bigger shareholder dividends because they don’t need to invest in upgrading treatment plants, which is why the water industry should be nationalised along with all the other utilities

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on October 29, 2021, 02:45:56 pm by drfchound »
now its official

as for the Don

Two points

1) To show we are not complying with EU directives after Brexit

2) Bigger shareholder dividends because they don’t need to invest in upgrading treatment plants, which is why the water industry should be nationalised along with all the other utilities

Yeah, I heard both of those mentioned in the tv report.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on November 02, 2021, 11:18:32 am by SydneyRover »
''Water Companies have Paid Nearly Half a Billion in Fines for a Decade of Violations''

Sian Norris, Byline Times, 26 October 2021.

Not a bad effort by any means.

https://bylinetimes.com/2021/10/26/water-companies-have-paid-nearly-half-a-billion-in-fines-for-a-decade-of-violations/

TinyPortal © 2005-2012