Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:46:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Well and truley bullied!  (Read 7582 times)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
Re: Well and truley bullied!
« Reply #90 on October 17, 2021, 04:19:41 pm by Campsall rover »
Galbraith is bullied and too small and weak in this league he needs 2 big lads in there for what he could do.
At least he offers something with the ball. I really fail to see Wellens obsession with Smith.
RW has not got too many options has he. It’s 3 out of 4 for those 3 midfield positions.

Who do you suggest plays, Greaves, Ravenhill or Hasani?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #91 on October 17, 2021, 04:50:53 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Galbraith is bullied and too small and weak in this league he needs 2 big lads in there for what he could do.
At least he offers something with the ball. I really fail to see Wellens obsession with Smith.
RW has not got too many options has he. It’s 3 out of 4 for those 3 midfield positions.

Gets someone in, in January as a priority.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #92 on October 17, 2021, 05:10:51 pm by Campsall rover »

Gets someone in, in January as a priority.
We need a proper mister in there.
We also need Cameron John in at centre back instead of Williams and we need a goal scorer unles Fej is going to be that man when he returns.
Unless we get all three it is going to be a very long season for us.
I do think it is just the 3 we need but they are a big 3 as all in the spine of the team.

Standanista

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on October 17, 2021, 06:15:17 pm by Standanista »
I felt robbed after that game. Not robbed by Wycombe; robbed by DRFC after having paid £22 to watch that rubbish.

This defence would not have cut it in the Conference. And forget midfield creativity because they don't have the brainpower or touch to create anything. The only time they could pass it about with any fluency was when Wycombe were playing six across the back, 2-0 up and in full control, and even then Rovers felt compelled to pass it back. Dodo summed it up when he went down like a sack of coal just outside the box, looking for a foul, instead of trying to beat his man.

This team is soulless. They lack muscle and lack heart. Yesterday only needed Tracy Austin up front and I would have believed that I'd been transported back to Belle Vue in 1982-83. At least back then the pies were cheaper. Time to start rebuilding now for next season's League 2 campaign, which means a good clear out of this sorry lot.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #94 on October 17, 2021, 06:57:25 pm by dickos1 »
I'm really starting to worry about Wellens ability as a manager, he talks a good game, but the team he puts out & the way we play are a million miles from what says we will do. When & if he makes it to January he needs to sort out the shambles of a defence. He has not improved us defensively from last season at all, in fact we look even worse. We simply have to tighten up at the back against the top sides & make us hard to beat, at the minute we are hopeless defensively, & teams know it. Centre half & left back required in January. I'd give my right arm for a Rob Jones right now.

Not sure you’re starting to doubt wellens, you’ve been doubting him for months

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #95 on October 17, 2021, 07:12:31 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I don't recall seeing any of our players actually run with the ball before the subs came on and showed them how to do it.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #96 on October 17, 2021, 07:29:15 pm by Chris Black come back »
I’ve not seen Oldham, Swindon or Salford under Wellens, so I don’t know how they played. What’s the ongoing mystery is how he can recruit virtually all these players but not one of them plays even remotely in his image. He was a winner. A ball of energy. Niggling, chasing, hassling. This lot. Wow.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #97 on October 17, 2021, 07:30:38 pm by Padge_DRFC »
I don't recall seeing any of our players actually run with the ball before the subs came on and showed them how to do it.

I was going to say Hiwula but he kept leaving it behind

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on October 18, 2021, 09:19:07 am by DMnumber4 »
I was reading on here a few weeks ago about the tough run of fixtures contributing to where we are in the league, at the time it was said we had played most of the top 10, yesterday I think I saw it quoted that we had played most of the top 15, how long does it take before that excuse runs out, most of the top 23? We are shit, most signings have been shit and I do not see one player wearing his heart on his sleeve! It will not be long before we are cast adrift

"Fair play to [Team A] today, they are above us in the league."

Tends to be the case when you're rock bottom!

Sulphurite

• Forum Member
« Reply #99 on October 18, 2021, 01:59:12 pm by Sulphurite »
First Post.

I came as a neutral yesterday to support my disabled brother. We were in the south stand. Can I just say, lovely fans, staff and facilities! Everyone was very kind to us both and I'll definitely be back.

General comments : Wycombe had a game plan, granted it was ugly but it worked. They played to their strengths and exposed your weaknesses. I follow Newcastle so I was curious about Vilica, but my suspicions appear proven. Lightweight, but decent first touch.

Your defence was poorly organised and one lad kept giving the ball away constantly (the left center back). Neither was up for a header. Ball retention until the subs in the second half was pretty bad. Midfield pretty absent in general play. Hiawa(sp?) was lively and the lad from Watford was a decent pivot. Generally though you were lacking in ideas and penetrative intent.

What's the deal with the club atm? Was that your best 11?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #100 on October 18, 2021, 04:07:37 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
First Post.

I came as a neutral yesterday to support my disabled brother. We were in the south stand. Can I just say, lovely fans, staff and facilities! Everyone was very kind to us both and I'll definitely be back.

General comments : Wycombe had a game plan, granted it was ugly but it worked. They played to their strengths and exposed your weaknesses. I follow Newcastle so I was curious about Vilica, but my suspicions appear proven. Lightweight, but decent first touch.

Your defence was poorly organised and one lad kept giving the ball away constantly (the left center back). Neither was up for a header. Ball retention until the subs in the second half was pretty bad. Midfield pretty absent in general play. Hiawa(sp?) was lively and the lad from Watford was a decent pivot. Generally though you were lacking in ideas and penetrative intent.

Thanks for the post - some perceptive comments there.

Deal with us is that we are in a reight mess. Up until recently, we had carefully and quite skillfully built a very good squad for this division over several years, added  to with some excellent loan signings. That has pretty much fallen apart over the past 8 months. Most people agree that recruitment in 2021 has been woeful. Vilca seems to fit into that pattern. He's clearly got some thing about him in terms of his basic ability, but that's way short of being enough at this level - he looks like a kid in a man's game and I've aboslutely no idea what he's supposed to bring to the mix.

The left sided central defender you mentioned is Tom Anderson. Up until January, under ex-boss Darren Moore, we played a system of short, crisp passes from the back. That was focussed on Ben Whiteman, our defensive midfielder/playmaker and Anderson fitted in well to that role. He was also as physically dominant a centre half as you'd see at this level. Since losing Whiteman to the Championship in January, I honestly haven't got a clue what style of football we are trying to play, and I agree that all too often we end up with the ball at Anderson's feet and no option but a hopeful punt up field. Also, around the time that we lost Whiteman, Anderson was knocked out by a punch from our own keeper. It was a sickening impact nad he was out for a while. He's looked a shadow of his former self since returning, not helped by the fact that he has much weaker colleagues in the back four than we had a year ago.

On top of all of that, we've had some pretty poor luck with injuries and that has turned a weak situation into a desperate one. I've said since Day 1 I'd snap you hand off for 5th bottom on goal difference at the end of the season. Feels like a long way off at the moment.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #101 on October 18, 2021, 04:30:20 pm by Campsall rover »
First Post.

Deal with us is that we are in a reight mess. Up until recently, we had carefully and quite skillfully built a very good squad for this division over several years, added  to with some excellent loan signings. That has pretty much fallen apart over the past 8 months. Most people agree that recruitment in 2021 has been woeful. Vilca seems to fit into that pattern. He's clearly got some thing about him in terms of his basic ability, but that's way short of being enough at this level - he looks like a kid in a man's game and I've aboslutely no idea what he's supposed to bring to the mix.

The left sided central defender you mentioned is Tom Anderson. Up until January, under ex-boss Darren Moore, we played a system of short, crisp passes from the back. That was focussed on Ben Whiteman, our defensive midfielder/playmaker and Anderson fitted in well to that role. He was also as physically dominant a centre half as you'd see at this level. Since losing Whiteman to the Championship in January, I honestly haven't got a clue what style of football we are trying to play, and I agree that all too often we end up with the ball at Anderson's feet and no option but a hopeful punt up field. Also, around the time that we lost Whiteman, Anderson was knocked out by a punch from our own keeper. It was a sickening impact nad he was out for a while. He's looked a shadow of his former self since returning, not helped by the fact that he has much weaker colleagues in the back four than we had a year ago.

On top of all of that, we've had some pretty poor luck with injuries and that has turned a weak situation into a desperate one. I've said since Day 1 I'd snap you hand off for 5th bottom on goal difference at the end of the season. Feels like a long way off at the moment.
While I agree with pretty much all you say there BST I do think just 2 consecutive wins which we are capable of this month will make our position look much better.
I am absolutely convinced there are 4 teams in this league we are better than and that will be proved correct by the beginning of next May.
Those 4 if I were pushed to name are Crewe, Shrewsbury, Morecambe and Cambridge.
I also fancy us to finish above Gillingham, Fleetwood, Charlton, Wimbledon, Cheltenham and Accrington.
So that would leave us 14th in the table. Pre season i said in hindsight very optimistically av9th place finish.

Now whether we will finish 14th is very much a personal glass half full opinion from me. I am not sayingnwe will, just I think it is possible. Right now like you BST if you gave me 20th i would take it.

There still is an awful long way to go and if we get some seriously good recruitment in January.  3 players we need in key positions, then my personal opinion is, we have the other players already with those 3 new recruits, that can catapult the team up the league.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #102 on October 18, 2021, 04:32:14 pm by sha66y »
I felt robbed after that game. Not robbed by Wycombe; robbed by DRFC after having paid £22 to watch that rubbish.

This defence would not have cut it in the Conference. And forget midfield creativity because they don't have the brainpower or touch to create anything. The only time they could pass it about with any fluency was when Wycombe were playing six across the back, 2-0 up and in full control, and even then Rovers felt compelled to pass it back. Dodo summed it up when he went down like a sack of coal just outside the box, looking for a foul, instead of trying to beat his man.

This team is soulless. They lack muscle and lack heart. Yesterday only needed Tracy Austin up front and I would have believed that I'd been transported back to Belle Vue in 1982-83. At least back then the pies were cheaper. Time to start rebuilding now for next season's League 2 campaign, which means a good clear out of this sorry lot.

My opinion is that this “ sorry lot” are actually next seasons league 2 champs , this season being one of learning and consolidation……

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #103 on October 18, 2021, 04:43:23 pm by Campsall rover »

My opinion is that this “ sorry lot” are actually next seasons league 2 champs , this season being one of learning and consolidation……
It is far too early to seriously come to any conclusions if we are all honest about it.
There was serious optimism on here after the MK Dons win and the opposite after the Wycombe defeat.

If we win tomorrow night and that is a big IF of course then it will be all positive again at 9.45 tomorrow eve.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #104 on October 18, 2021, 05:42:28 pm by scawsby steve »
First Post.

Very good post, BST, and one I totally agree with. The only thing you failed to mention was that alongside Tom is Williams, arguably the worst CB we've had in over 20 years.

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #105 on October 18, 2021, 05:52:19 pm by andyst79 »
I'm really starting to worry about Wellens ability as a manager, he talks a good game, but the team he puts out & the way we play are a million miles from what says we will do. When & if he makes it to January he needs to sort out the shambles of a defence. He has not improved us defensively from last season at all, in fact we look even worse. We simply have to tighten up at the back against the top sides & make us hard to beat, at the minute we are hopeless defensively, & teams know it. Centre half & left back required in January. I'd give my right arm for a Rob Jones right now.
God yeah! a Rob Jones and a Chris Brown, just a couple of proper Misters who don’t get blown off the ball. A bit of organisation would be nice as well so you don’t have say Kyle Knowle marking Anthony Stewart on a corner! Jesus wept, these guys are professional, makes your blood boil!
[/quote
Possibly just a couple of experienced players at this level away from holding our own in this division & we all know if we're desperate for a defensive midfielder . This season was always going to be transitional so if we can manage not to get cast adrift at the bottom and strengthen in January we should hopefully be ok

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #106 on October 18, 2021, 06:00:45 pm by Bentley Bullet »
We should be more stable defensively when Cameron John comes back, whenever that will be.

Whatever happened to the days when injured players were generally only out for one game instead of half a season like nowadays!

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #107 on October 18, 2021, 06:24:28 pm by The Beast »
We should be more stable defensively when Cameron John comes back, whenever that will be.

Whatever happened to the days when injured players were generally only out for one game instead of half a season like nowadays!
Any updates on John, time wise?

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #108 on October 18, 2021, 06:27:07 pm by The Beast »

Any updates on John, time wise?
I do rate John, not sure he’ll make a massive difference. An improvement on Williams and a better ball-player than both centre-halves

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #109 on October 18, 2021, 07:28:04 pm by Filo »
I’d like to know what the talent identification guy saw in Williams

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #110 on October 18, 2021, 07:35:10 pm by scawsby steve »
I’d like to know what the talent identification guy saw in Williams

I'd like to know what the club saw in Younger.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #111 on October 18, 2021, 07:39:59 pm by Campsall rover »

Only thing is Williams is RW’s signing and CJ is not. So will RW play John instead of Williams?

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #112 on October 18, 2021, 08:06:53 pm by Chris Black come back »
Williams hasn’t been that bad. Maybe a work in progress but he isn’t a disaster zone. Yet.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #113 on October 18, 2021, 08:14:56 pm by Lesonthewest »

Not sure you’re starting to doubt wellens, you’ve been doubting him for months

Not true I'm afraid, he had my full backing AFTER he was appointed & I liked the way he came across in his interviews after said appointment. Its only since the Ipswich debacle I personally began having doubts regarding his managerial qualities.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #114 on October 18, 2021, 08:25:20 pm by Chris Black come back »
I support him staying the distance this season but I am none the wiser today than I was the AFC Wimbledon game about what he is trying to achieve. There is no obvious form or function to his sides or his signings. It’s probably dismissed as old hat now but coming in with a squad to build, you would have thought he wanted a strong spine. Instead we got the keeper on loan, an unconvincing young centre back, precisely zero presence in centre midfield, and no striker other than a teenager on loan. All a bit disappointing really.

Sulphurite

• Forum Member
« Reply #115 on October 20, 2021, 04:10:57 pm by Sulphurite »
2Thanks for the context. I'm back for the Lincoln game. Hopefully I'll see an improvement! Sounds like you are quite a mess at the moment!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012