Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:21:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Gillingham game  (Read 5051 times)

since-1969

• VSC Member
Re: Let's talk about the Gillingham game
« Reply #60 on October 19, 2021, 09:57:39 pm by since-1969 »
Excuses that’s all we’ve had all season , from signing players , to preseason long term injuries , players changing their minds about signing , covid illness , touch line bans ? Imo get shut now  and just appoint someone who’s been there and worn the Tshirt !!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 10:50:13 pm by since-1969 »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on October 19, 2021, 09:58:57 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Excuses that’s all we’ve had all season , from signing players , to preseason long term injuries , players changing their minds about signing , covid illness , touch line bans ? Imo get shut now  and just appoint someone who’s been there and worn the tea shirt !!

Who do you propose?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on October 19, 2021, 10:01:15 pm by Campsall rover »
Just like to say I thought Bostock had a very good 1st half.
I have been very critical of him but credit where credit is due.
2nd half he looked a little leggy so is it he is not capable of a 90 min performance?  It would seem not.
Ben Close I thought was pretty much anonymous tonight.
Curkur excellent and is improving game on game. Whu was he subbed? Did not make any sense to me.

Shooting practice the priority along with set piece practice this week.
Our set pieces are a joke.

Very disappointed because we were the better team and only one trying to play football.
If you can’t score you don’t win and we seem almost incapable of keeping a clean sheet.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on October 19, 2021, 10:03:13 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Probably a overreaction but I actually think for once we have the time to do a long winded manager search or we will do soon. Think even the most optimistic will struggle to believe we will stay up.

Concentrate on getting the next appointment right (we normally do a decent job of that tbf) and give them Jan and the rest of the season to prepare for a proper season next year

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on October 19, 2021, 10:39:33 pm by Chris Black come back »
If we are being honest then losing 1-0 there is historically not that bad really, as we always do terribly there. However, we are now proper in the shit and no sign of getting out. An abysmal defensive record continues and more recent horrific scoring record continues. Overall not too much to be positive about.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on October 19, 2021, 11:06:18 pm by danumdon »
The problems where do you start,

We have a keeper who flatters to deceive too often, i've now had it confirmed to me he is dire, can't catch, punches when he should catch, blames everyone around him when he's the issue, can't command his box, can't kick, rushes to the edge of the area and then stands there looking like a simpleton, i got it all wrong backing this looser, My god am i saying this, "get Jones back in"

Knoyle has gone backwards faster than a French regiment on the Maginot line. Really poor tonight, had that great chance early on and fluffed it, had another shot a little later and poor direction straight at the keeper, why did he use his left foot? had loads of time, poor defending, lack of an outlet and no overlapping down the wing, Seaman with a broken foot would be an improvement.

Rowe, never a left back in a million years, if the legs have gone (and it looks that way) then he's not an improvement on what we have already, Horton is an improvement, honestly, and will pay us dividends next year when he's first choice.

Williams, started off well but as the game went on allowed the two big lumps to unsettle him, when he reaches that state he plays like he's never heard of the word football before. Get Olowu on, now.

Anderson, where do you start, has gone from captain fantastic to a lump of wood, no drive, leadership gone out of the window looks like a drunk playing football, can't seem to inspire himself never mind the team. Come in Cam John, your numbers up, we need you kid.

Galbraith, neat and tidy, too small to influence the game and no one wants to pass to him, needs to scream at the rest to get on the ball.

Close, same again but costs us more, scream louder and find 15%

Bostock, 'ive said it all along this bloke is gone at the game, i could play his game sat in front of the defence spraying passes around to his defenders with the odd forward ball, all done at an unbelievably slow pace that scares no teams and just allows then to re group and block, how we all undervalued Ben Whiteman, where can we find another?

Hiwula, looks like he should be a good fit for us but flatters to deceive all the bloody time, seems to play himself out of the match too often and can't find a way back, needs a massive boost of confidence to rattle him into action, should be a top player for us, not happening.

Cukur, had a decent game on sat, started off well but faded badly back into his old ways, i hate the fact i have to say this, but we have to bite our lip and hold our nose, Bogle, we need you (Jesus Christ, and that's from a left footer)

Dodoo, what can i say, had high hopes for this lad, looked like he would make a difference and started off his spell with us brightly but every game since is proving what we all thought, Bingham and Thomas were not that bad.

Taylor and Fegi, no pressure fellas, the fate of the club rests on a dodgy hamstring and a flatfoot.,

Oh my god.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on October 19, 2021, 11:11:48 pm by Chris Black come back »

We have a keeper who flatters to deceive too often, i've now had it confirmed to me he is dire, can't catch, punches when he should catch, blames everyone around him when he's the issue, can't command his box, can't kick, rushes to the edge of the area and then stands there looking like a simpleton, i got it all wrong backing this looser, My god am i saying this, "get Jones back in"

Knoyle has gone backwards faster than a French regiment on the Maginot line. Really poor tonight, had that great chance early on and fluffed it, had another shot a little later and poor direction straight at the keeper, why did he use his left foot? had loads of time, poor defending, lack of an outlet and no overlapping down the wing, Seaman with a broken foot would be an improvement.

Rowe, never a left back in a million years, if the legs have gone (and it looks that way) then he's not an improvement on what we have already, Horton is an improvement, honestly, and will pay us dividends next year when he's first choice.

Williams, started off well but as the game went on allowed the two big lumps to unsettle him, when he reaches that state he plays like he's never heard of the word football before. Get Olowu on, now.

Anderson, where do you start, has gone from captain fantastic to a lump of wood, no drive, leadership gone out of the window looks like a drunk playing football, can't seem to inspire himself never mind the team. Come in Cam John, your numbers up, we need you kid.

Galbraith, neat and tidy, too small to influence the game and no one wants to pass to him, needs to scream at the rest to get on the ball.

Bostock, 'ive said it all along this bloke is gone at the game, i could play his game sat in front of the defence spraying passes around to his defenders with the odd forward ball, all done at an unbelievably slow pace that scares no teams and just allows then to re group and block, how we all undervalued Ben Whiteman, where can we find another?

Hiwula, looks like he should be a good fit for us but flatters to deceive all the bloody time, seems to play himself out of the match too often and can't find a way back, needs a massive boost of confidence to rattle him into action, should be a top player for us, not happening.

Cukur, had a decent game on sat, started off well but faded badly back into his old ways, i hate the fact i have to say this, but we have to bite our lip and hold our nose, Bogle, we need you (Jesus Christ, and that's from a left footer)

Dodoo, what can i say, had high hopes for this lad, looked like he would make a difference and started off his spell with us brightly but every game since is proving what we all thought, Bingham and Thomas were not that bad.

Taylor and Fegi, no pressure fellas, the fate of the club rests on a dodgy hamstring and a flatfoot.,

Oh my god.

Superb write up. Don’t agree with all of it but very well written. Our two centre backs get scared by their own shadows. Easily bullied.

TheFunk

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on October 19, 2021, 11:16:38 pm by TheFunk »
Tonight with 20 or 30 minutes to go we could have brought Taylor on to give them something to think about. Oh I forgot our supreme leader decided to bring him on in a game long gone he'd already said he didn't want to use him in. Richie if you love the club as much as you say you do just walk. I truly hope you all come back and mock me for the previous sentence last summer.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on October 20, 2021, 02:16:36 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Some of the young players need to realise they are men. They are better than they have shown so far.
For me we don’t look as fit as we should be at this stage of the season.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 02:34:22 am by Sammy Chung was King »

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #69 on October 20, 2021, 09:07:01 am by roversdude »
Some of the young players need to realise they are men. They are better than they have shown so far.
For me we don’t look as fit as we should be at this stage of the season.

I agree Sammy, hopefully Greeny can get them fit
Richie mentioned he needs a couple of men in there and I don’t think he meant bodies he needs someone to stand up and lead by example.

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on October 20, 2021, 10:09:10 am by ForsolongaRover »
If Copps were put in charge do we think he could teach them to play just a little bit of skilful football? And would Greenie be able to actually tell them that playing one good half is not enough. They need to be fit enough to keep it up for 90 minutes and it might make up a bit until they got better on the ball and develop better mutual understanding which is also lacking.

We could see what they might achieve between now and January.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on October 20, 2021, 10:15:09 am by donnievic »
Injuries meant not enough subs, so instead of putting Bogle on the bench we go without the option up top.

Makes no sense to me, I can't get my head around how Wellens thinks.
Does anybody trust his recruitment as far as the next window goes?
tbf vilca took Ill in the afternoon so bit late getting a replacement down their at that time although in past we have had younger lads travel with the team.
 Thought 1st half we were by far the better team again but 2nd half wellens should have changed it when they were getting on top and another poor decision by the officials last night with their goal as should of been ruled out for offside,also surprised wellens didn’t mention it in his interview yet went on about Rowe shoukd of had a penalty when he was pulled down late on when he said was a yard or 2 onside however looked opposite to me looked the offside clearly,think it’s time to start playing him further up the field now and not at left back but Richie won’t want to do it as he brought him in as a full back so won’t want to change.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on October 20, 2021, 12:44:45 pm by Campsall rover »

Oh my god.
Same here great write up, don’t agree with all you say but some of it is spot on imo.

Dahlberg needs to boss the 6 yd box more than he is doing and why oh why can’t he catch the ball more often. Having said that I do not think Jones is the answer just yet.

This propensity with punching the ball in the modern era is baffling me.
I was a keeper and I hardly ever punched it. Last resort only when you absolutely had no choice.

I am seriously questioning our goalkeeping coach. Paul Gerrard was a very decent keeper in his day who played in the Premier League with Everton.
He is also apparently in charge of our set piece defence and offensive. Need I say any more.
We concede more goals from set pieces than open play and our offence set pieces are shocking.
Last night who told Dodoo to take one and aim for a non existent ball boy 15 yards to the right of the goal.

Bostock much better 1st half last night but still does not link up the play further up the pitch a la Whiteman.
As you said you are me could play his game ( well if I could pass it ) but I am 66 yrs old.
He faded 2nd half as he does every game. Total luxury player we can’t afford to have in this team I am afraid.
We need a proper MR in that midfield, someone who is a leader, who can tackle and i mean tackle ( it seems to be a dying art ) 
Where are the Little’s, Doolans, Stocks in this team. We need to find one in January or we are going down.

Striker situation is even more dire.  Curkur is improving no question but we heed goals and i don’t see him getting many of those. If we get 10 out of him in 40 games at this level I think is being optimistic.

Dodoo sorry his first touch is worse than mine. Much worse. Can he score. No evidence so far he is capable.

Hiwula I think is a player, has pace, has a shot on him, he just needs to use his brain more often.
Makes too many wrong decisions.  But could come good for us. Needs a proper striker playing up front i think to bring out the best of him.
Will Fej be the answer to our prayers? I seriously do not know.

Defence. The problem is it is mostly confidence for me. I would play John when fit instead of Williams.
Agree Rowe is not a natural left back and is wasted in that position.
Is Horton good enough yet, not sure he is.

Anderson it is definitely a confidence thing with him. That head injury and the lack of a seriously decent centre back partner is affecting him imo.
Knowle is a decent player but playing in a losing team is affecting him. I do think he is capable of producing so much more.

Think that’s it. RW has got some serious thinking to do and hard work on the training ground.

But yes we can turn it round but RW needs ( assuming he is still here in Jan )  to sign 3 quality players in that window.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on October 20, 2021, 01:00:35 pm by ravenrover »
Is Cuker on a season long loan or just till Jan?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on October 20, 2021, 01:03:12 pm by Campsall rover »
Is Cuker on a season long loan or just till Jan?
Not sure now you mention it.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on October 20, 2021, 02:27:00 pm by MachoMadness »
I believe it's a season long loan with a break clause in January, not sure Watford would want to recall him though.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #76 on October 20, 2021, 06:20:20 pm by ravenrover »
Could we send him back?

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on October 22, 2021, 08:29:11 pm by eastender »
Any one remember this from exactly 3 years ago.  :lol:

Could only happen to us.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 09:13:34 pm by eastender »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on October 22, 2021, 08:32:42 pm by drfchound »
It would be nice to have 13 shots in a game, never mind thirteen on target.
I can’t remember when we might have had 32 shots in a game.

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #79 on October 22, 2021, 09:14:50 pm by eastender »

They only had 3 all game , all on target and all in the onion bag.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on October 22, 2021, 09:18:09 pm by drfchound »

They only had 3 all game , all on target and all in the onion bag.

Yep, I remember it, I was there.
I also remember losing 4-0 to Fleetwood and I think they only had four attempts on goal.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on October 23, 2021, 02:39:25 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
meanwhile in the parallel universe (a.k.a. reality)

here is the bbc report of the match

"Stuart O'Keefe's fortuitous goal earned Gillingham their first home win in almost two months, as they ground out a 1-0 victory against League One's bottom club Doncaster.

The result moved the Gills three points clear of the bottom four, but Donny remain rooted to the foot of the table after drawing yet another blank in front of goal.

Doncaster should have gone ahead in the fourth minute, however, when Joe Dodoo's pass found its way through for Kyle Knoyle, who could only shoot into the side netting.

Robbie McKenzie almost broke the deadlock for Gillingham when his header from the edge of the area clipped the outside of the post, following Ryan Jackson's long throw.

The Gills were slightly improved after half-time, with Danny Lloyd having a shot shovelled away by Rovers goalkeeper Pontus Dahlberg before Tiago Cukur skimmed an effort just wide for Donny.

The hosts then finally grabbed the winner with 11 minutes left as Vadaine Oliver attacked the near post from Lloyd's corner and his header brushed in off O'Keefe's back.

Match report supplied by PA M"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58879750

and they say when a team is desperate for a goal they don't care if it goes in off someones backside

at least the ball going in off his back isn't as fluky a going in off the backside ....... photo finish though

please can we have one of those today

TinyPortal © 2005-2012