Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:37:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: This is why a former fans favourite should never be manager  (Read 3748 times)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: This is why a former fans favourite should never be manager
« Reply #30 on October 19, 2021, 10:25:17 pm by Filo »
In my opinion one indication of a good manager is the one who can turn it round at half time. On Saturday and tonight our manager has been outwitted.

Hasn’t he been banned for the last 2 games?
So his own petulance has also cost him being able to affect half times?

Only banned from the touchline, he can still give HT team talk, although I would question his man management skills, no one came out after HT and stepped it up, there was no fire in the belly

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
The clock is ticking.  Would we have accepted a non former player building a squad and getting woeful results? No we would not. The team has no leaders, no identity, pace or goals and is fundamentally weak at its core.

I don't see signs wellens can change it right now.  Clock has to be ticking.  Bogle was poor but do we really think if he'd had a run of 10 games he'd have only one goal?

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on October 19, 2021, 10:26:55 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
In my opinion one indication of a good manager is the one who can turn it round at half time. On Saturday and tonight our manager has been outwitted.

But he’s got nothing to turn it around with. It doesn’t matter what tactics a manager can come up with if the players are incapable of producing that change on the pitch.

We had about 4 players on our books this summer. Wellens signed 9 of the starters today. Ok that’s an excuse for a slow start with everyone gelling etc but we’ve had time now.

2 international breaks too to train and work on our defending/attacking play no improvement from that.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on October 19, 2021, 10:27:11 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Wycombe on Saturday hit it long from goal kicks , we insist on playing in short to defenders and we get closed down nearly every time. The opposition can’t score if the balls in their half

They have more chance of scoring if you're constantly giving the ball to them by hoofing it to their massive defenders.

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on October 19, 2021, 10:29:36 pm by Goole Rover »

He has and will get his orders through even though he’s received a touch line ban.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on October 19, 2021, 10:30:46 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Watching us recently I just find exhausting and frustrating. I left early on Saturday because of it (and also the ref), I watched today and I knew we weren't going to equalise and I'll be there on Saturday unfortunately expecting the worst.

DRCraig

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on October 19, 2021, 10:32:33 pm by DRCraig »
Cannot lose on Saturday. I like Richie. Had such high hopes. He can still turn it around.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on October 19, 2021, 10:37:29 pm by donnievic »

only a touch line ban he can still go in changing room at half time.
 problem tonight was he should of changed sumthing when they started getting on top in the 2nd half and also get Rowe further forward as there is only him and hiluwa that want to run at players and hardly give them the ball in the correct places,as much as I like wellens and want him to do well he is stuck in his ways and doesn’t like to change things when not working,think his time is now running out

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on October 19, 2021, 10:53:35 pm by StocksArmy »
It all feels a bit like the board are sitting there shrugging their shoulders and looking at Wellens like its all his fault and Wellens is doing the same thing to the players. Meanwhile the fans are suffering watching the club going backwards and nobody seems bothered enough to take responsibility for whats going on.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 10:59:37 pm by StocksArmy »

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on October 19, 2021, 10:57:02 pm by sha66y »
It’ll look a lot better tomorrow once you’ve had a good kip and can look at the positives….

Don’t go beating yasenn’s up!

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on October 19, 2021, 10:58:13 pm by phil old leake »
Filo you are 100% right in my view. There are comments  on other threads saying DM has something to do with this

If I’m not mistaken apart from Anderson all the main squad were signed by Welless

It’s hard for me to say how bad things are because I’ve only been to one game at Rotherham due to living away.

If all the performances are as bad as that we’re doomed

I’m hoping we are not but it’s going to take a big change.   The players will naturally start to lose confidence

RW basically offered to walk a few weeks ago. Maybe he should have gone.  I’m really hoping I’m wrong and if I am I will come on here and say I got it wrong but in my view he appears to be not up for the job

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on October 20, 2021, 05:27:25 am by aidanstu »
Sentiment gets in the way and makes it harder to sack him
Maybe from the fans’ point of view, but not from those who do the hiring and firing. The board don’t do sentiment, they do sensible.

Yet most of our managerial appointments have been former players?

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on October 20, 2021, 05:38:03 am by aidanstu »
I loved RW as a player; never wanted him appointed as manager and my view hasn’t changed on that or the prospect of us being relegated under him.

I don’t entirely blame him for where we are; the situation was almost impossible from get go but he hasn’t helped himself in how he has managed his conduct or the resources available to him.

He has has only had a crap pre-season and 14 league games with a squad full of injuries and players that have not regularly played together. We look disjointed and these matters have contributed to the problem.

Nothing will change with a new manager; we have the players we have until January at least so let’s not do anything knee jerk and give him at least until then; we should then take stock over the Christmas period. We have made our bed and we may as well lay in it.

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on October 20, 2021, 05:39:28 am by aidanstu »
If we don't win on Saturday then he should go.

A managerial sacking should not be based on one result; either he is good enough or he isn’t.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on October 20, 2021, 06:25:03 am by dickos1 »
Filo you are 100% right in my view. There are comments  on other threads saying DM has something to do with this

If I’m not mistaken apart from Anderson all the main squad were signed by Welless

It’s hard for me to say how bad things are because I’ve only been to one game at Rotherham due to living away.

If all the performances are as bad as that we’re doomed

I’m hoping we are not but it’s going to take a big change.   The players will naturally start to lose confidence

RW basically offered to walk a few weeks ago. Maybe he should have gone.  I’m really hoping I’m wrong and if I am I will come on here and say I got it wrong but in my view he appears to be not up for the job

Moore has to take some of the blame, spending silly money on Bogle and Williams wages,
Building a squad full of loan players which meant in the summer we had no players and no money to recruit.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
There is a lot of blame to go around and also a lot of bad luck. Wellens needs to accept his share of the blame though. The squad is a pushover and there is no winning or at least will to win, mindset. You would never bank on these guys coming back from 1 or 2 down to get a result.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on October 20, 2021, 07:46:35 am by colincramb »
The other problem is that you need a replacement if you sack wellens. We’d struggle to recruit someone from the local job centre right now.

Who is available that is any better? And why would they want to come here?

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on October 20, 2021, 07:55:31 am by River Don »

I don't necessarily agree that the club shouldn't appoint ex players as manager.

I do think it is fair to ask. If the club has such a rigorous appointment system, how has it delivered ex-fan favourite players consecutively as manager?

Is that just coincidence? Or were they appointing managers that would appeal to the crowd, despite the system?

SoundbiteBarmyArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on October 20, 2021, 07:58:42 am by SoundbiteBarmyArmy »
Wellens isn't the man to keep us in League One, and this board haven't got it in them to sack him and find a suitable replacement within a decent time frame.

Something drastic needs to change, but for the life of me can't see what it is, where it is coming from and when it'll happen.

The next 5 League games are huge. If we're not picking up points in those, then I think we need to buckle up for League Two again.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on October 20, 2021, 08:11:03 am by colincramb »
Wellens isn't the man to keep us in League One, and this board haven't got it in them to sack him and find a suitable replacement within a decent time frame.

Something drastic needs to change, but for the life of me can't see what it is, where it is coming from and when it'll happen.

The next 5 League games are huge. If we're not picking up points in those, then I think we need to buckle up for League Two again.

Sack him and replace with who??? There won’t be a queue lining up to come to a team bottom of league 1, with no ability to improve a very poor squad.

Whilst I agree that wellens might not have been the best choice, sacking him now wouldn’t really make any difference to our immediate prospects, in my opinion

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on October 20, 2021, 08:11:15 am by Filo »

I don't necessarily agree that the club shouldn't appoint ex players as manager.

I do think it is fair to ask. If the club has such a rigorous appointment system, how has it delivered ex-fan favourite players consecutively as manager?

Is that just coincidence? Or were they appointing managers that would appeal to the crowd, despite the system?

Sentiment

A lot of our fans look at it that way as well

Similar thing is happening at Man Utd as well with Ole, but not as desperate in the league as we are

Plumbster

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on October 20, 2021, 08:38:49 am by Plumbster »
If I was on the board I wouldn’t trust RW to spend any January money wisely- for that reason I would be looking to have someone in place with enough time to assess what is needed before the window

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on October 20, 2021, 09:02:33 am by Campsall rover »
To say nearly all our players are not good enough for this league is quite frankly ridiculous.
We are 3 players short of a very competitive team.
3 players makes a massive difference to any team. With those 3 the others would be performing much more effectively.

We need Cameron John or a new Centre back. We need a proper ball winning mister in midfield and most of all we need a goal scorer up front.
Could Fej be that man? Not sure how good he will be after this injury.
We may need someone new in January.

RedRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on October 20, 2021, 10:02:32 am by RedRover »
I’d bring Bogle back, get Rowe im midfield and drop Williams for Oluwu. Just to mix it up. Nothing to lose.

Would you? Well if Wellens believed those things would bring results and success he'd be doing them already.

What you're suggesting is the same as when sides start going long in the final minutes of a game, desperate for a goal. If the manager thought that would get a goal why wasn't the team playing that way for the full 90?

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on October 20, 2021, 06:22:07 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Sacking Wellens won't get us out of trouble, not with the squad we have.  The quality of the squad is not entirely Wellens' fault.  Yes, many of them are his signings but it's clear the budget he had available was a long way short of what was needed for the rebuild needed.
We only need to think back to the word Gavin Baldwin used at the start of the season - 'Consolidation' - code for 'we're near potless after covid and we're going to have to suck a lemon for a year or two'.

I don't believe they will sack Wellens because they know what they've given him to deal with and IMO nor should they.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Only benefit in bringing Omar back is to make Cukur look like a better option.

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on October 20, 2021, 06:58:11 pm by keith79 »
Its probably why he got the job in the 1st place. The fan would give him more time.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
I get the point about needing to rebuild the squad in the summer but Saunders did the same in summer 2012 and we got off like a rocket and ended up with the title. We’ve rebuilt the squad but someone forgot to add the backbone to the order.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on October 20, 2021, 07:41:30 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Saunders could afford the likes of David Cotterill. Players of his quality are a thing of the past.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Some expensive players in that side and the budget was much bigger then, but that side was made by players like Rob Jones, Paul Quinn and David Syers, not on the big bucks. 

TinyPortal © 2005-2012