Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:43:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The problem is this.  (Read 5500 times)

BobG

• VSC Member
Re: The problem is this.
« Reply #30 on October 20, 2021, 04:45:37 pm by BobG »
But Chris puts in a nutshell the feeling of many when fair weather supporters throw their toys out

BobG

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on October 20, 2021, 04:49:23 pm by Michael Shaw »
It's a fact that not all fans are die-hard followers who will go to every game home and away, and want to spend all their time on Viking Chart.
Most of us will support a squad that we see are at least trying to win games, but what we see is a squad with no commitment or sense of direction, devoid of any leadership, and lacking in all areas which is why we can't get off the bottom of the table.
You can insult people like me all you want, but that won't help drag the club forward.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on October 20, 2021, 04:59:23 pm by Campsall rover »
The fact is there are supporters and supporters.

Some follow the club through thick and thin and some just thick.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 05:16:12 pm by Campsall rover »

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on October 20, 2021, 06:14:21 pm by BobG »
Drag??

BobG

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on October 20, 2021, 06:19:12 pm by Chris Black come back »
Strange how we find it so hard to identify decent strikers while clubs like Scunny and Peterborough consistently unearth gems. Marquis and Jeffrey are probably the only two in recent decades? Sharp, Brown and Cramb all known quantities.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on October 20, 2021, 06:45:37 pm by drfchound »

That is true Camps but the floating supporter will make up a fairly big percentage of our match day attendees.
When they drift away it is hard to get them back.

knockers

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on October 20, 2021, 07:19:18 pm by knockers »
I’ve had a season ticket for years and to be honest since McCann left I’ve probably enjoyed half a dozen games.
It’s boring
The players really don’t seem to care yet I gave them my money as a gift last year for games I was not allowed to attend so they could still get paid.
All of the supporters around me are quite happy booking holidays just so they can miss games where as before they would book them around them.
The only reason I’m currently still going is to see my mates and have a few beers beforehand.
I’m not sure how much longer I can be bothered with the Rovers part of the Saturday afternoon routine.
If that makes me a fair weather fan then so be it. Pretty sure I can live with that.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on October 20, 2021, 07:30:26 pm by Campsall rover »

That is true Camps but the floating supporter will make up a fairly big percentage of our match day attendees.
Definitely hound.

Far too many floaters i am afraid.  This Town is full of them. I think Donny fans are very fickle.
More than the majority of clubs and definitely more than all the other South Yorkshire ones.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on October 20, 2021, 08:14:38 pm by Padge_DRFC »
It's what happens when half your fan base supported another team 15-20 years ago.

If the football is crap since moving to the keepmoat there's not much else going on in terms of match day experience in a third full soulless place.

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on October 21, 2021, 10:20:12 pm by Michael Shaw »
The club needs floaters to help support the club. When posters like Chris The Rover says “Sod Off Then!” he is telling 1,000 floaters to just away. I hope he gets his wish if that is the sort of supporter that DRFC has. He should learn respect for others who don’t 100% share his views. Floaters will support a club when they can see the manager and players trying hard but that is not what we see right now. The instant I heard Wellens was appointed I posted my disapproval and SM agreed. Wellens has proved to be incapable of building, moulding and managing a League One team and we will ultimately pay the price.

donnyallday

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on October 30, 2021, 05:27:11 pm by donnyallday »
Budget, budget budget

W4NK  W4NK W4NK.

if only we could mirror the Rotherham model, seems to work and be manageable, similar club size.
 Opinions welcome.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on October 30, 2021, 06:11:45 pm by Upton Rover »
We have six contracted players in my opinion who are capable league 1 players

Cam John
Jon Taylor
Fejiri
Anderson
Tommy Rowe
Bostock

The rest of contracted players are simply not good enough.

The loans make the rest up that will leave and the cylce of rebuild starts again.

Lack of ambition and finance will get us nowhere, we desperately need investment from somewhere.

We appoint managers who come and go  because they see us as a stepping stone or want ambition more than this club. The club needs to work harder in bringing some party in to progress.
agree with all but 1, not Fejiri

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on October 31, 2021, 11:10:24 pm by Bailey Vickerage »

Cam John
Jon Taylor
Fejiri
Anderson
Tommy Rowe
Bostock

The loans make the rest up that will leave and the cylce of rebuild starts again.

Lack of ambition and finance will get us nowhere, we desperately need investment from somewhere.

We appoint managers who come and go  because they see us as a stepping stone or want ambition more than this club. The club needs to work harder in bringing some party in to progress.
agree with all but 1, not Fejiri
u don’t think Fej is league 1 level?

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on October 31, 2021, 11:24:04 pm by bpoolrover »

Definitely hound.

Far too many floaters i am afraid.  This Town is full of them. I think Donny fans are very fickle.
More than the majority of clubs and definitely more than all the other South Yorkshire ones.
the problem is at the minute how can you expect fans that go now and again to spend there hard earned money watching rubbish most weeks

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on November 01, 2021, 08:27:10 am by drfchound »

Definitely hound.

the problem is at the minute how can you expect fans that go now and again to spend there hard earned money watching rubbish most weeks

Yep, I know people who aren’t bothering now, purely based on how we are doing.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on November 01, 2021, 11:24:15 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Upton, I agree. I don't think for one second we would be where we are if we still had Ferguson, McCann or Moore. It's down to the manager, and Wellens doesn't have a clue.

Sha66y, yes I am dispirited and see no sense in supporting the current team. We all sat with enthusiasm, faith and trust in the club when we were told of the 5 year plan, and look where we are, not in the Championship but heading for League Two and no-one in the club can or will stop it happening.

The same Ferguson who got us relegated to League Two?

I assume you stayed away for the League Two season then?

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on November 01, 2021, 01:59:21 pm by GazLaz »
If we win tomorrow we are likely to be 1 point from safety with 90 to play for. The f**kin bed wetters on here and social media need to chill out.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on November 01, 2021, 02:41:59 pm by Campsall rover »
If we win tomorrow we are likely to be 1 point from safety with 90 to play for. The f**kin bed wetters on here and social media need to chill out.
Your not wrong Gaz Laz.

Some of those you refer to obviously never witnessed the 1997/98 season. 

Now that was a season we had a right to moan.  Crickey we are 2 consecutive wins away from safety.
That’s almost guaranteed barring a strange sequence of results. Not only that we have 31 games to play.

Why do people think we have a divine right to be amongst the promotion hopefuls every season of even be a mid table team. We don’t, there are going to be seasons when we struggle, seasons even when we get relegated.
That’s what supporting Doncaster Rovers is all about isn’t it?  Makes those seasons when we get promoted all the sweater imo. 
If we were top dogs every season we would be fighting for the Premier League title wouldn’t we. It ain’t going to be like that. We support DRFC not Man City.

If you want success every season then you are following the wrong team by supporting DRFC
Supporting your team means just that, supporting them through thick and THIN

Stop bloody moaning and get behind our Manager ( who most people were delighted to get ) and get behind your team and stop whinging.  :that:   :rtid: 

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on November 01, 2021, 02:50:25 pm by Chris Black come back »
We had an away win in 97/98. Just the one mind. 1-0 away at Peterborough.

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on November 01, 2021, 03:08:06 pm by ditch_drfc »
What is it with this b*llocks that because 24 years ago we had one of the worst seasons in the history of football, anything marginally better now shouldn't be moaned about?

As if unless the chairman literally sets alight to the south stand we can't possibly ask questions of the manager and club.

When the boys are on the pitch I'm supporting them every kick. But when we're shipping goals like we are there's gonna be some tough questions asked.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on November 01, 2021, 07:41:43 pm by Campsall rover »
What is it with this b*llocks that because 24 years ago we had one of the worst seasons in the history of football, anything marginally better now shouldn't be moaned about?

As if unless the chairman literally sets alight to the south stand we can't possibly ask questions of the manager and club.

When the boys are on the pitch I'm supporting them every kick. But when we're shipping goals like we are there's gonna be some tough questions asked.
That is not what I said.  I am also asking questions and am far from happy about shipping goals.
But this constant get rid of the manager and I am not going to watch the games and constant whinging about the way the club is run is quite sad.

We have had our team decimated by DM, brought in a new manager to rebuild the squad on a limited budget. Just come through an entire season where the club has had virtually no income because of Covid and the board are ensuring the club survives by not spending beyond its means.

But that is not good enough. 15 games and time is up the manager should have got a team half way up the league by now. Let us get rid and start again.  Instant results required from the next manager. How long do we give him another 15 games.

Total madness. Thank goodness we have a board who take a long term view. We have to have patience even if the short term is going to be painful. 
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 07:44:18 pm by Campsall rover »

DRFCSouth

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on November 01, 2021, 07:49:29 pm by DRFCSouth »
The problem for some time has been probably several fold.

1. Over reliance on too many loanees (some aren't an issue).

2. Not holding onto our better players.

3. Losing decent managers every 5 minutes.

Another problem fans are struggling to contend with, is we have gone from play off contenders to relegation candidates in little to no time.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 07:53:37 pm by DRFCSouth »

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on November 01, 2021, 11:39:58 pm by Colin C No.3 »

Cam John
Jon Taylor
Fejiri
Anderson
Tommy Rowe
Bostock

Galbraith not good enough?

The best loanee since…………

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on November 01, 2021, 11:49:03 pm by Colin C No.3 »
That’s surmising the 3 teams above us lose their next 3 games & we win ours.

I admire your staunch belief that will be the case but what is it based on?

I will be the first to admit (& will take great pleasure in doing so) that I was wrong about Richie once we are a clear 5 points from the bottom 4.

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on November 02, 2021, 06:47:38 am by Avsuptem »
I also cannot accept this rhetoric that has been sold to the fans that we should accept mediocrity pending a rebuld. IMHO this is just spin fed to us by a very competent company CEO part of whom's job it is is to manage the expectations of the customer base and divert attention away from the root cause of the problem which, obviously, is lack of investment. We have lost successful managers for this reason and are now managed by an albeit sincere and genuine guy who is clearly lacking any capacity to motivate this league 2 standard squad in to a force that can avoid relegation. His handling of the Bogle affair and public berating of his own players to me show that he has zero ability to make the whole greater than the sum of its parts. Hence we are going down the toilet in a most embarrassing fashion.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 06:56:11 am by Avsuptem »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on November 02, 2021, 08:45:35 am by Campsall rover »
I also cannot accept this rhetoric that has been sold to the fans that we should accept mediocrity pending a rebuld. IMHO this is just spin fed to us by a very competent company CEO part of whom's job it is is to manage the expectations of the customer base and divert attention away from the root cause of the problem which, obviously, is lack of investment. We have lost successful managers for this reason and are now managed by an albeit sincere and genuine guy who is clearly lacking any capacity to motivate this league 2 standard squad in to a force that can avoid relegation. His handling of the Bogle affair and public berating of his own players to me show that he has zero ability to make the whole greater than the sum of its parts. Hence we are going down the toilet in a most embarrassing fashion.
If he was unable to motivate the team we would not have won any games this season.
Did not look like a team that wasn’t motivated when we took a 3-0 lead v Cheltenham.
We played very well against Portsmouth and dug out wins v Morecambe and MK Dons. Yes we had a bit of luck in all those games but please tell me which teams don’t get any luck in matches.

It is our away form which is of serious concern and confidence is the major factor now after 8 straight away defeats. There is a problem don’t think it is that RW can’t motivate it is the way the team is set up imo
But RW has his hands tied because he is unable to get the missing pieces of his jigsaw until at least January.
It might be next summer before he can get them.
We are very vulnerable without the ball with our current midfield who are all creative players none of which has much ability in protecting the back 4.
Until this is addressed we have a big problem and it is no good blaming RW because he is not a magician.

With the budget he had he got in the players he could which has left us short of what we need.
Who’s fault is it? No one really it is just the circumstances we are in right now.
We are all wanting a scapegoat and most are picking RW but he has been given a desperately difficult hand
It is fighting fires job at least until January possibly longer, compounded with the injuries to John, Taylor and Okineberhie.

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on November 02, 2021, 10:03:50 am by Avsuptem »
I agree RW has been dealt a difficult hand but his handling of the Bogle situation smacks of miss management and appears to be an emotionally driven decision rather than one that helps the club, the player, the team as a whole and the fans, not to mention the stretched budget.
Also, one of the first rules of management in any organisation is that if you are going to administer a rollicking to an individual you do so in private, public humiliation rarely gets the best out of the employee. And the way our defense is torn apart repeatedly indicates a severe lack of tactical nous.
I admire RW's commitment and respect the sentiments of supporters who take a more positive and optimistic view, I hope for the best but fear the worst is now inevitable, relegation.

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on November 02, 2021, 10:17:48 am by The Beast »
The problem for some time has been probably several fold.

1. Over reliance on too many loanees (some aren't an issue).

2. Not holding onto our better players.

3. Losing decent managers every 5 minutes.

Another problem fans are struggling to contend with, is we have gone from play off contenders to relegation candidates in little to no time.

Agree with you on all three points but more or less every single club of our stature has the same problems. A club of our stature will always lose good players/managers to bigger clubs. Due to the fact that all the money is with the top clubs they monopolise all the talent, the young players they have are too expensive for us to buy, therefore we have to borrow them, it’s just the way it is and as the difference between rich and poor becomes greater, the situation will just get worse.

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on November 02, 2021, 10:47:05 am by Cramby10 »
I agree RW has been dealt a difficult hand but his handling of the Bogle situation smacks of miss management and appears to be an emotionally driven decision rather than one that helps the club, the player, the team as a whole and the fans, not to mention the stretched budget.
Also, one of the first rules of management in any organisation is that if you are going to administer a rollicking to an individual you do so in private, public humiliation rarely gets the best out of the employee. And the way our defense is torn apart repeatedly indicates a severe lack of tactical nous.
I admire RW's commitment and respect the sentiments of supporters who take a more positive and optimistic view, I hope for the best but fear the worst is now inevitable, relegation.

excellent summary

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on November 03, 2021, 06:33:20 am by dickos1 »
That’s surmising the 3 teams above us lose their next 3 games & we win ours.

I admire your staunch belief that will be the case but what is it based on?

I will be the first to admit (& will take great pleasure in doing so) that I was wrong about Richie once we are a clear 5 points from the bottom 4.

Why does this surmise that others lose their next 3 and we win the next 3?
It just states if we’d won on Tuesday then we’d be one point off safety?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012