Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:09:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: 16%  (Read 3255 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Re: 16%
« Reply #30 on October 21, 2021, 05:28:46 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I very much disagree that we let GIllingham into the game simply by giving them set pieces. We were unable to match their workrate after half time. It was 100% predictable that Evans was going to be giving them a hairdryer halftime after their awful first half showing and they came out with more fire in their bellies. We didn't match it. We got pushed back. And THAT is why we gave away set pieces.

The fact that we didn't score when we were on top is really part of the core problem. Our front players have collectively scored 2 goals in 12 league games and simply do not regularly look like adding to that tally. If that isn't rectified, we'll do well to have 20 points by the time the transfer window opens. and then of course there's the question of how much money is available in that window. Don't forget that the Board has already dipped into its pocket for extra funding in the last window.

And we used that to give Dodoo a two year contract...

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on October 21, 2021, 07:05:43 pm by Lesonthewest »
Wellens did nothing to negate the change Evans made after half time, they just hit into the channels winning free kicks, throws & corners, he could have gone to a 3 way before the goal & got us further up the pitch. I really felt for the players,  gave it their all, no lack of effort or commitment.

LincolnDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on October 21, 2021, 07:11:50 pm by LincolnDonny »
We could approach Steve Bruce.

I suppose Steve has been in the game long enough

he may know someone to take charge

murham

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on October 21, 2021, 07:23:26 pm by murham »
It’s been said before and it’s becoming clearer
This management , owners? Want league 2 football
It’s cheaper and obviously our level at the moment
We can dream and dream but that is our destiny for years to come

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on October 21, 2021, 07:34:06 pm by roversdude »
What are you smoking please get real

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on October 21, 2021, 07:53:04 pm by Chris Black come back »
I love how everyone thinks the reason we are where we are now is because we can't score.
The biggest issue we have at the present is we can't defend for toffee. We are defensively hopeless. This is the worst defensive unit I've seen for years and years. Even Anderson who has been a solid League 1 defender for a year or two has gone downhill rapidly.
If we could consistently keep clean sheets, or even occasionally keep a clean sheet, that's a point won straight away. If we can then God forbid, get a lucky deflection or a penalty at the other end, we may win a game or two.
Am I correct in thinking we've conceded 17 goals in 7 away games? You're not going to get many points shipping goals like that

Broadly agree with this. Defensive solidity went a long, long time ago.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on October 21, 2021, 07:58:57 pm by Janso »

Might be cheaper but there are also reduced income levels, so your point doesn't really stack up.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on October 21, 2021, 08:15:42 pm by sedwardsdrfc »

Might be cheaper but there are also reduced income levels, so your point doesn't really stack up.

Yep. It’s like saying your not going to work because you’ve got to buy petrol. Can’t see the cost of been in L1 been much different to been in L2 but the revenue would be a lot worse

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on October 21, 2021, 08:37:14 pm by DonnyOsmond »
I love how everyone thinks the reason we are where we are now is because we can't score.
The biggest issue we have at the present is we can't defend for toffee. We are defensively hopeless. This is the worst defensive unit I've seen for years and years. Even Anderson who has been a solid League 1 defender for a year or two has gone downhill rapidly.
If we could consistently keep clean sheets, or even occasionally keep a clean sheet, that's a point won straight away. If we can then God forbid, get a lucky deflection or a penalty at the other end, we may win a game or two.
Am I correct in thinking we've conceded 17 goals in 7 away games? You're not going to get many points shipping goals like that

xG against we're 14th.
Goals against we're 16th.
Shots against per game we're 9th.

The Ipswich game will ruin that a fair bit but overall the main issue isn't defending, we have a comfortably midtable defence.

xG for we're last.
Goals scored we are last.
Key passes per game, we are 23rd.

Our league position is due to the worst or second worst attack in the league, a midtable defence means we are losing instead of picking up a point here and there, but even if we did better defending and kept more clean sheets/draws we'd still be going down. The main issue is our lack of creativity, not who is finishing the chances or stopping them at the other end. Although, we need to be better all over the pitch.

At Swindon most of the chances created came from out wide, either from full backs or from the two wingers, and for us so far other than Hiwula we've lacked that quality, although Vilca does seem to want to force something but lacks consistency. Dodoo and the fullbacks lack the creativity currently. I definitely expected more from Knoyle. Close and Galbraith have done alright so far.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 08:53:47 pm by DonnyOsmond »

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on October 21, 2021, 08:53:46 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
When we concede a goal it’s game over, has been all season and a lot of last season. We all feel the inevitability of it when we go behind (often before that even).

If we get relegated it’s because we can’t score. See it every year the teams who can score will manage to stay up. Clean sheets are a luxury for the better teams in the division. We shouldn’t be under any illusion now we ain’t one of them

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on October 21, 2021, 09:16:43 pm by normal rules »

You have a point. 34 nil nils would be 34 points. Still not enough though.
Which gives me a thought, what’s the longest drawing run ant team has ever been on?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on October 21, 2021, 10:22:47 pm by drfchound »

To be fair there are eight other teams in the division who have conceded either the same amount, or more, goals than us but no team that has scored the same or less than us, and the if we had only conceded three at Ipswich instead of the six then that number of teams would be up to twelve.
I think that does indicate that the lack our scoring goals is our biggest problem.

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on October 21, 2021, 11:51:02 pm by ForsolongaRover »
How can anyone expect a man who thinks Tuesday’s was a good performance improve these players?

You need to know what needs fixing before you can tackle it.

“Richie” seems incapable of any wrong in some people’s eyes. Perhaps he failed to turn it round at Salford and at Oldham for the very same reasons.

You did not listen to his interview properly.
He said the 1st half was a good performance which it was IMO. He said we needed to score and we didn’t.
He said 2nd half we let Gillingham back in by giving away far too many set pieces which is correct.
Completely fair assessment of the game from RW.

He said it was a “very very good performance” 2 or 3 times even after acknowledging that the second half was not so good as the first. His assessment was not objective and that is my point.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012