Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:52:32 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: No right back for Saturday  (Read 3032 times)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Re: No right back for Saturday
« Reply #30 on October 21, 2021, 10:09:53 am by Chris Black come back »
I think at this level, having two senior players for each position is as much as can be expected, outside of Sunderland or Ipswich etc.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on October 21, 2021, 10:25:23 am by selby »
  We have a very good right back in the youth team, a Wales age group player, who is also injured at the moment and has been a big miss for the u18s this season. he is hoping to be back again in a couple of weeks after a long lay off due to getting injured in training.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on October 21, 2021, 10:37:13 am by roversdude »
When everyone is fit (long shot I know) we have a decent squad with the exception of a DM with cover at all positions.
Hasani played full back in a friendly and did ok (accepted the level was below league level)

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on October 21, 2021, 02:25:38 pm by selby »
  That was at Wakefield RD, and yes he played well there that night and looked good.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on October 21, 2021, 02:53:18 pm by GazLaz »
Williams has played right back before, he has to be an option. Olowu looks like he would be a disaster if he played there.

Playing Rowe there and bring in Horton at left back could be another option.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on October 21, 2021, 03:13:38 pm by Draytonian III »
Why not play Tommy Rowe in goal the next time there’s a international weekend, square pegs in round holes.
 Yeah I modified it after I realised I’d missed out “in goal”
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 08:48:00 pm by Draytonian III »

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on October 21, 2021, 06:31:15 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
I think he'll go Tommy at RB and Horton at LB. Most trusted pro he's got to do a job out of position.

Northants Nomad

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on October 21, 2021, 06:35:22 pm by Northants Nomad »
Pretty sure Copps can play right back...ok, not serious, but I can dream. 

LincolnDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on October 21, 2021, 07:00:56 pm by LincolnDonny »
No right back?

Well i suppose it will be a change for all teams charging down our left side and whooping our MIDFIELDER (playing out of position) Tommy ( i love him in midfield) Rowe .

We have always got a few who can play right back, what about Omar Bogle (his number is close enough to number 2 (sarcasm hits home sometimes).

Do like Lincoln did 30 odd years ago and put a goalkeeper in the open play team then,  maybe as they did as centre forward, they can jump high for all the lousy crosses that seem to be happening ......but then i digress.

jeeeeees with the rabble we have at the moment the way RW turns and moans (yes even worse than me) about things i heard him turn and say to his coaching staff and subs, "see they can't even pass as i said," (that was when i was only 1 of 4 supporters over on the west side in 1 of those silly cup matches.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on October 21, 2021, 09:01:51 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Going back a bit and not on topic but why didn’t we sign Vassell I saw he was free and thought he has been a decent forward in this division. Given how short we were on numbers there was deals there to be made that we could afford on our budget. Frustrating!

Back on topic. Horton has played right back when shirt before and did ok. So I’d be tempted to do that although it’s harsh on the younger player to be put on his wrong side. Full back is a fairly easy position to play and just keep simple so Smith could be an option if he can be relied upon to battle and defend

Rowe is only good going forward so we’d lose his only good part playing at right back where cutting in will be easy to defend.

BVB

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on October 21, 2021, 09:31:10 pm by BVB »
…… Full back is a fairly easy position to play and just keep simple…..

Very easy for you to say Sedwards!
Quite a demanding position I would have thought, needing very fit players in order to defend, tackle, be overlapping attacker, deliver crosses, track back, take throw ins.
But apart from that, whatever have full backs done for us?

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on October 21, 2021, 09:31:20 pm by scawsby steve »
If Horton plays, he needs to be better than he was at Rotherham when Sadlier tore him a new one.

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on October 22, 2021, 08:15:08 am by 5minstogo »
If Ro Shaun us fit then I'd play him at RB. He's supposedly lightening fast (I'm yet to see it) and it gets him out the middle, although bqrring the goal on Tuesday I thought he did ok. Olowu has real potential but he needs a run of games to show us.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on October 22, 2021, 07:17:42 pm by sedwardsdrfc »

Quite a demanding position I would have thought, needing very fit players in order to defend, tackle, be overlapping attacker, deliver crosses, track back, take throw ins.

Positionally it is though. In the academy’s all the players not quite good enough to play midfield or too small to be a centre half are converted to fullbacks. Overlapping and attacking is already over complicating the role of your makeshift for a game just play simple. Copps did it brilliantly when he played full back a few years ago and no one should have him down as a defender

All players need to be very fit I won’t have that as an excuse and neither should Wellens.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on October 22, 2021, 07:22:48 pm by idler »

Positionally it is though. In the academy’s all the players not quite good enough to play midfield or too small to be a centre half are converted to fullbacks. Overlapping and attacking is already over complicating the role of your makeshift for a game just play simple. Copps did it brilliantly when he played full back a few years ago and no one should have him down as a defender

All players need to be very fit I won’t have that as an excuse and neither should Wellens.
The two goals Birmingham scored down our right side when Copps was right back still give me nightmares.
We need players in the right positions more often than not when possible. Jimmy O’Connor never seemed quite the same right back after his stint at centre half.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 09:33:46 pm by idler »

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on October 22, 2021, 08:43:41 pm by Filo »

Copps was awful at full back

TinyPortal © 2005-2012