Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:43:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The only viable short term solution?  (Read 4664 times)

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
The only viable short term solution?
« on October 20, 2021, 05:02:32 pm by Copps is Magic »
Forced myself to look at the table. The problem is there written all over it in red marker, highlighted, shouting out to be addressed.

- Teams 10 down to 24 have all conceded roughly 19 to 24 goals. Rovers have conceded 21, probably bang on average among that group.

- But we have scored only 6 goals. SIX goals.

I think we have to sign another free agent striker. Forget Dodoo, we have to add another. What other short-term (viable) solutions are available to us? (I would not have been convinced about this until yesterday, btw, which was clearly a game we could have won with someone who could finish).

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
Re: The only viable short term solution?
« Reply #1 on October 20, 2021, 05:24:59 pm by PDX_Rover »
I’d throw Bogle in. Prove yourself lad.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on October 20, 2021, 05:27:01 pm by DRNaith »
Short term would indicate sorting within days. Who is there that is eligible? If I'm correct, they need to be a free agent.

Absolutely agree with your view, but not sure there is a short term solution

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on October 20, 2021, 05:30:36 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

I think he already has, but not as what you want him to be.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on October 20, 2021, 05:45:01 pm by River Don »
Could Bogle play in another position?

Desperate times.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on October 20, 2021, 05:50:23 pm by Donnywolf »
Left back as my old Dad (and Bentley Bullet) would say

Left back in dressing room

(For clarification BB is not my dad of course)

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on October 20, 2021, 05:51:28 pm by Spud »
New free agent or Bogle, either wouldn't have kicked a competitive ball in months, would take them weeks, 6 maybe? , to get any sort of match fitness, & besides, Bogle wasn't the answer when he was fit. So I'd scratch looking for a short term miracle.
Performances have improved, albeit not far enough yet, hopefully they continue to & we get Fej & Taylor back at some point soon.
The biggest problem for me now is confidence, it's clearly fragile, you can see it eroding during games when we're not getting the goals our play deserves.
A couple of wins would do us the world of good, not just table-wise. Buckle up & let's hope it happens sooner rather than later, & let's get the season started.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on October 20, 2021, 05:55:11 pm by normal rules »

RW has got more chance of being the next pope.
The lines have been drawn in this I believe. No going back. He will be paid for the remainder of his contract and then pushed out of the door. Probably literally.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 20, 2021, 06:00:13 pm by normal rules »
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. There is a young lad at Thorne Colliery who can kick a ball, and put it in the net. We could get him on peanut wages.
What’s to lose ?
Jamie Vardy started at Stockbridge park steels before a move to Halifax. Craig Mackail smith started out at St Albans city and Arlesey Town before he became much better known at Dagenham and Peterborough .

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on October 20, 2021, 06:16:04 pm by The Beast »
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. There is a young lad at Thorne Colliery who can kick a ball, and put it in the net. We could get him on peanut wages.
What’s to lose ?
Jamie Vardy started at Stockbridge park steels before a move to Halifax. Craig Mackail smith started out at St Albans city and Arlesey Town before he became much better known at Dagenham and Peterborough .
I know lads who play for Thorne Colliery, the standard is very low, it’s light years away from league football. He’ll be nowhere near the lads we’ve got in the youth team and they’re not seen as a viable option.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on October 20, 2021, 06:55:10 pm by drfchound »
What’s to lose ?

NR, I’m beginning to think you are EFW’s agent mate.
Seriously though, the leap from Thorne Colliery to L1 is massive in one go.
Even Jamie Vardy had to go through different levels and he is the incredible exception to the rule.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on October 20, 2021, 07:46:22 pm by Campsall rover »
I%u2019d throw Bogle in. Prove yourself lad.
We do not know what his attitude is like. RW is having nothing to do with him. There is a reason for that surely.
If RW is just being pig headed about him because he did not take up an offer at another club then that would be extremely childish and very stupid. If Richie is that stupid he will not become a successful manager.

I just think RW has lost patience with Bogle and his lack of desire, football ability and most of all lack of a football brain.
If all the latter is true then RW has to stay loyal to himself and the team ethic.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 07:57:27 pm by Campsall rover »

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on October 20, 2021, 08:03:20 pm by DonnyOsmond »
We can throw all the strikers in the world on, our creativity is statistically the worst in the league.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on October 20, 2021, 08:17:04 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Ed Williams and Bogle would bang goals in for Thorne Colliery.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on October 20, 2021, 08:19:45 pm by i_ateallthepies »
I%u2019d throw Bogle in. Prove yourself lad.
We do not know what his attitude is like. RW is having nothing to do with him. There is a reason for that surely.
If RW is just being pig headed about him because he did not take up an offer at another club then that would be extremely childish and very stupid. If Richie is that stupid he will not become a successful manager.

I just think RW has lost patience with Bogle and his lack of desire, football ability and most of all lack of a football brain.
If all the latter is true then RW has to stay loyal to himself and the team ethic.

I'm willing to accept Wellens' judgement on freezing out Bogle and I've already stated on another thread that I don't believe he's been given nearly enough resource for the magnitude of the rebuild this season required.  The one judgement call of Wellens that I do think he got wrong was forcing out Andy Butler.  It's clear that Tom Anderson is not the leader we all believed him to be and that of the two, Butler was the leading force in the defensive line.

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on October 20, 2021, 08:31:58 pm by mpc123 »

Please anybody stop mentioning him  he is terrible

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on October 20, 2021, 08:56:26 pm by Canadian Rover »
If he's got 0 chance of playing and has been rejecting contracts elsewhere - terminate his contract and send out the message (or are we hoping to offload in January and save some wages?)

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on October 20, 2021, 11:28:28 pm by DRNaith »
If he's got 0 chance of playing and has been rejecting contracts elsewhere - terminate his contract and send out the message (or are we hoping to offload in January and save some wages?)

Contracts can't just be terminated, that's the whole point of a contract

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on October 21, 2021, 01:55:51 am by Canadian Rover »

They can be paid out (usually with a discount) mutual consent - ie Bruce

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on October 21, 2021, 07:33:48 am by Filo »

Bruce has been paid his contract in full

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on October 21, 2021, 07:45:14 am by Canadian Rover »

I assumed so...however the idea of not being able to terminate a contract is wrong.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on October 21, 2021, 08:25:56 am by Filo »

I assumed so...however the idea of not being able to terminate a contract is wrong.

But if you terminate Bogle’s contract in full how does that free up wages to strengthen?

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on October 21, 2021, 08:43:56 am by MachoMadness »
We can throw all the strikers in the world on, our creativity is statistically the worst in the league.
This, I'm afraid. As much as we lack a decent striker who can finish, we also don't create much. We pass in nice triangles in midfield but we never stretch the play and never hurt teams. Our crossing is diabolical. We don't pass the ball into threatening areas, by and large, which is why we rarely look like scoring.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on October 21, 2021, 09:16:49 am by DRNaith »

Terminating a contract can only happen if a contract has been breached by one party and it is in the interests of the other party to do so.

What you're talking about is paying off a contract. As the majority of the outstanding would be payable this would impact the general cashflow. Also, if for some reason we found ourselves without RW, it's possible that a different manager may get some performance out of Bogle. So there's not a huge weight of reason to get rid of Bogle from the squad.

ctay

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on October 21, 2021, 05:03:10 pm by ctay »
You can terminate a contract but without a breach it is to be paid in full unless a player agrees to a mutual deal. Which Bogle and Williams dont appear to be willing to do, which is up to them.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on October 21, 2021, 05:24:39 pm by wilts rover »

Then there is no point in having contracts if one party just decides they dont like it and can do what they like.

Its basic employment law.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on October 21, 2021, 05:31:06 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

And what we have up front instead is...what?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on October 21, 2021, 05:39:59 pm by Bentley Bullet »
If Bogle's the answer, what's the question?

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on October 21, 2021, 05:58:03 pm by RugbyRover »

And what we have up front instead is...what?

currently, marginally better than terrible but with the potential to be significantly better, and is in fact, getting better every game.

Northants Nomad

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on October 21, 2021, 06:32:02 pm by Northants Nomad »
If Bogle's the answer, what's the question?
Ooo let me - how about "what completely shite options have we got who have shown no desire to play for our club or act professionally towards it, that we could swap in for some lads who are at least putting some effort in and, in the case of Cukur, trying to build their skills and careers?".

Totally agree...Bogle is not the answer and if we drop any of our players for that waste of wages, I will think far far less of my Club. Thankfully, they ain't gonna do it so I don't need to worry.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012