Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:43:32 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The only viable short term solution?  (Read 4757 times)

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
Re: The only viable short term solution?
« Reply #30 on October 21, 2021, 07:01:59 pm by Canadian Rover »
To clarify- I'd personally play Bogle as he's out best centre forward.

If he's gonna go in January - perfect (the club saves money) these deals can be arranged now (and not last minute of transfer window) if him and Williams will refuse all other contracts and are sticking with their full contracts then the club should either use them or get rid completely (unless they think they'll be put to use should Wellens leave before them)

If they are disruptive and a negative to the cause... terminate them and show you back the manager.

Right now it's all in limbo (or appears to be).

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on October 21, 2021, 07:40:05 pm by Spud »
Granted there's not a great deal of competition, but what has Bogle actually done to earn the accolade of "our best centre forward" ?

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on October 21, 2021, 08:39:01 pm by Canadian Rover »
History of scoring goals in the league - albeit not really for drfc!

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on October 21, 2021, 08:44:30 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Bogle can’t play now Wellens has set his stall out. He’d lose all credibility if he suddenly starts picking him. Disagree that Wellens should have been so open or direct about wanting rid and not playing him but that’s fine now.

Should Wellens leave Bogle has to come back into contention he’s not great by any stretch but we’re hardly blessed with anything decent up front.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on October 21, 2021, 09:35:43 pm by normal rules »
Bogles true colours came out when Moore left. Dummy. pram.out.
Wellens was asked to leave when Ferguson made it obvious to him. Wellens thought he could play the same card with Bogle. It hasn’t worked.
Bogle has a contract and expects an amount of guaranteed income from that. But with that comes game time, fitness, reputation, and looking forward I ultimately value as a player.
Bogle has chosen hardball. Play no games. Lose match fitness. Tick over general fitness. Lose value. Lose reputation. Take the wage.
I can’t see him playing anything other than lower league footy after this year. If at all.

German Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on October 21, 2021, 09:42:40 pm by German Rover »
Bogles true colours came out when Moore left. Dummy. pram.out.
Wellens was asked to leave when Ferguson made it obvious to him. Wellens thought he could play the same card with Bogle. It hasn’t worked.
Bogle has a contract and expects an amount of guaranteed income from that. But with that comes game time, fitness, reputation, and looking forward I ultimately value as a player.
Bogle has chosen hardball. Play no games. Lose match fitness. Tick over general fitness. Lose value. Lose reputation. Take the wage.
I can’t see him playing anything other than lower league footy after this year. If at all.

Bogles coming towards the end of his career and was offered a contract by the rovers which he signed and now should be honoured.

Wellens has been out of order with how hes dealt with the whole situation and i don't think hes got enough about him to recall Bogle.

It would be a display of real character to give Bogle gametime, which the club in my opinion needs, hes a very experienced CF and would add something.

Won't happen though because we have such a poor manager.

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on October 21, 2021, 11:52:12 pm by Dare to dream! »
If Wellens recalls Bogle he loses all credibility with the squad. He has to keep him exiled despite Bogle being our best striker.

It’s a learning curve for Wellens because he’s caused this problem himself.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on October 22, 2021, 07:45:45 am by GazLaz »
The decisions been made on Bogle for the long term good of the club and that’s that. If him not playing means he leaves in January rather than in the summer, that’s a good thing.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on October 22, 2021, 11:27:32 am by BillyStubbsTears »
The decisions been made on Bogle for the long term good of the club and that’s that. If him not playing means he leaves in January rather than in the summer, that’s a good thing.

All of which is fine and perfectly principled.

Problem comes when you do that and then give a two year contract to a player barely any better.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on October 22, 2021, 11:51:01 am by Bentley Bullet »
Wellens obviously believes in players that might have a good future in front of them rather than behind them.

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on October 22, 2021, 01:27:44 pm by bedale rover »
Forced myself to look at the table. The problem is there written all over it in red marker, highlighted, shouting out to be addressed.

- Teams 10 down to 24 have all conceded roughly 19 to 24 goals. Rovers have conceded 21, probably bang on average among that group.

- But we have scored only 6 goals. SIX goals.

I think we have to sign another free agent striker. Forget Dodoo, we have to add another. What other short-term (viable) solutions are available to us? (I would not have been convinced about this until yesterday, btw, which was clearly a game we could have won with someone who could finish).

Actually I think the problem is the midfield which has been ineffective at setting up the goal chances and protecting the back four

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on October 22, 2021, 01:39:37 pm by MachoMadness »
To sum up -
The defence can't defend, especially at set pieces
The midfield doesn't protect the defence and doesn't move the ball forward in any meaningful way
The attack doesn't make the runs required to receive the ball and can't finish their dinner

Diagnosing what the problem is with our team is like chucking your watch under a steamroller then taking it to Timpson's and asking them to identify what's wrong with it.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on October 22, 2021, 03:53:12 pm by Campsall rover »
To sum up -
The midfield doesn't protect the defence and doesn't move the ball forward in any meaningful way
The attack doesn't make the runs required to receive the ball and can't finish their dinner

Diagnosing what the problem is with our team is like chucking your watch under a steamroller then taking it to Timpson's and asking them to identify what's wrong with it.
3 players that is all it will take to turn what you think obviously is a bunch of no hopers into a very decent team in League 1.
I have said this about 10 times on this forum in the last 3 weeks and i get the feeling i am in a minority with this view.
That said if RW can get those 3 players we need in January then i believe I will be proved right.

First thing is though this next set of matches do need to yield a significant points total or we may be too far adrift as the next 4 are all against teams who either are or will be fighting for survival.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on October 22, 2021, 04:22:32 pm by Spud »

I'd say Fej is our best striker tbh.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on October 22, 2021, 04:37:42 pm by Donnywolf »
To sum up -

I think the first part of your post meant there is / was no need for the Timpson / Watch analogy  :scarf: :laugh:

Leedsrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on October 22, 2021, 05:35:41 pm by Leedsrover »
We probably need 3 quality players to give us a chance of staying up in the new year - the problem Wellens will have is that clubs do not make quality players available in the January window. There will be plenty of minefields a la Bogle around but I fear very few that will offer us the salvation that we might need by then ! Maybe there will be some good loan options in January and I am sure our recruitment team is already working hard to identify any players that would improve our squad.   
I think we need a confidence booster and Saturday and Tuesday offer us that opportunity - Lets hope we can win both!

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on November 27, 2021, 05:11:21 pm by Copps is Magic »
11 goals.

Lowest in the football league outside of the Prem.

Has to be at least one striker ready to sign start of transfer window or we'll for certain go down. We are slowly losing contact now.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on November 27, 2021, 06:08:11 pm by selby »
  One of the biggest problems is no u21/23s side thanks to our last managers. We cannot bring anyone in without offering a pro contract on trial over 17yrs old. It is nonsense because 16 to 18 year olds are scholars linked to an educational programme.
   Once they start their scholarship at 16 for two years they play u18s football for two years and then the decision is made either  offer a contract or release them.  But then where do they play, they either go out on loan or train with the first team, no natural progression.
  So the club is stuck two ways, anyone 16 who comes after the programme starts plays as an amateur with the u18s and that is a big commitment, especially when they are good enough to play non league for a few quid a game, and anyone over 18 yrs old can only train with the first team and cannot play for the first team without being contracted, and they would invariably be good enough to play a good standard of non league football for money.
   So we are stuck with having to do business for first team players only in transfer windows unless they are free agents, scouting and trying to recruit from top non league teams is not viable and frustrating out of the same window time line, although the club have been made aware of some top prospects, but playing wise we are snookered.
  The reason for all this lies with managers who are no longer at the club who got rid of the important and under utilised by them u23s reserve side.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 06:13:29 pm by selby »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on November 27, 2021, 07:08:23 pm by drfchound »
11 goals.

Lowest in the football league outside of the Prem.

Has to be at least one striker ready to sign start of transfer window or we'll for certain go down. We are slowly losing contact now.

I just hope we don’t do the usual thing of waiting until almost the end of the transfer window to bring players in.
To beat Mansfield and get the dream draw is really important now.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on November 27, 2021, 07:18:33 pm by Chris Black come back »
In Bogle, Cukur and Dodoo we have somehow recruited the three least effective strikers in the professional game. Don’t forget, in 97/98 by this point in the season the Prince had scored six league goals by himself. These three have scored less than half that between them.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on November 27, 2021, 07:19:18 pm by ravenrover »
Beat Mansfield is the only dream at the moment

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on November 27, 2021, 07:32:51 pm by dickos1 »

I think you need to check that history,
Absolutely does not have a history of scoring goals in the league

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on November 27, 2021, 08:00:59 pm by Alan Southstand »
thanks to our last managers

Are you sure?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on November 27, 2021, 08:04:45 pm by Filo »

I think you need to check that history,
Absolutely does not have a history of scoring goals in the league

Correct 7 goals in L1, the majority of his goals were in the national league and L2 with Grimsby and he’s dined out on them ever since. However after listening to Wellens post match interview bemaning the lack of experienced players at his disposal he perhaps should consider bringing him back into the fold

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on November 27, 2021, 08:56:23 pm by Canadian Rover »
He's done this over and over. I know he thinks he's doing the best long term for the Rovers by forcing them out...but it's not how you manage a small squad bereft of forward quality.

He exiled Bogle and banked on Dodoo and Cukur to which it turns out are both inferior to Bogle as an out and out centre forward.

Richie played a dangerous game and should have managed the situation better. As he was banking also on Fej coming back from injury (but honestly who's to say Fej would have fared better under Wellens).

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on November 27, 2021, 09:00:09 pm by dickos1 »
Bogle has done nothing for years,
Dodoo is a much better player than Bogle that’s a fact

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on November 27, 2021, 09:01:12 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
He's done this over and over. I know he thinks he's doing the best long term for the Rovers by forcing them out...but it's not how you manage a small squad bereft of forward quality.

He exiled Bogle and banked on Dodoo and Cukur to which it turns out are both inferior to Bogle as an out and out centre forward.

Richie played a dangerous game and should have managed the situation better. As he was banking also on Fej coming back from injury (but honestly who's to say Fej would have fared better under Wellens).

Your last sentence sums it up for me CR.

We don't even create any chances for Dodoo, Cukur, Vilca, Hiwula etc so why would it be any different if Fej came back in?

We'd just have a different player up there with the same end result.

streathamdave

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on November 28, 2021, 11:39:45 am by streathamdave »
If he's got 0 chance of playing and has been rejecting contracts elsewhere - terminate his contract and send out the message (or are we hoping to offload in January and save some wages?)

Contracts can't just be terminated, that's the whole point of a contract

They can be paid out (usually with a discount) mutual consent - ie Bruce

Bruce has been paid his contract in full

I assumed so...however the idea of not being able to terminate a contract is wrong.

Then there is no point in having contracts if one party just decides they dont like it and can do what they like.

Its basic employment law.
   Truth of the situation is that most contracts are not worth the paper they are written on in UK until someone has been in employment somewhere at least 2 years as it is impossible to sue for unfair dismissal up until that point unless you can show that being dismissed happened due to you having protected characteristics under the equalities act. By the way for sake of clarity, ethically I think we should honour both Bogle's and Williams' contracts.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 11:43:48 am by streathamdave »

Move DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on November 28, 2021, 12:03:56 pm by Move DRFC »
We gave Dodoo a 2 year deal

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on November 28, 2021, 12:15:47 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012