Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:13:00 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Alfie May  (Read 4241 times)

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
Re: Alfie May
« Reply #60 on October 24, 2021, 03:12:10 pm by Goole Rover »
I cannot understand the mentality of people who applaud ex players before or during a game? It’s completely bizarre! I could almost understand it (but not agree with it) if it was a Marquis, Sharp or Stock for example. You know, players who actually performed well for us. But Alfie May? A nice guy, a trier for sure but pretty mediocre as a player.
Please don't put Marquis in the same league as Sharp and Stock. I scored one goal in five years when playing in the Donny Senior League and I could have put away 10 of his he had unbelievable service.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Shornton

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on October 24, 2021, 04:26:26 pm by Shornton »
Some sad t**ts even clapped when it was announced that he had scored their first goal!
What the hell is that all about?

I actually booed when he came on and Williams, loads round me clapping etc. not for me, not like he's a legend like Copps or owt.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on October 24, 2021, 04:42:44 pm by Janso »
I cannot understand the mentality of people who applaud ex players before or during a game? It’s completely bizarre! I could almost understand it (but not agree with it) if it was a Marquis, Sharp or Stock for example. You know, players who actually performed well for us. But Alfie May? A nice guy, a trier for sure but pretty mediocre as a player.
Please don't put Marquis in the same league as Sharp and Stock. I scored one goal in five years when playing in the Donny Senior League and I could have put away 10 of his he had unbelievable service.

Easy to say that until you're up against professional defenders in a match situation.

I really will never understand the derision some of our fans treat John Marquis with.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on October 24, 2021, 04:50:24 pm by Herbert Anchovy »

Easy to say that until you're up against professional defenders in a match situation.

I really will never understand the derision some of our fans treat John Marquis with.

No, nor me. Marquis record was something like 60 goals in 130 games wasn’t it? They’re top stats for any striker.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #64 on October 24, 2021, 04:55:15 pm by selby »
Goole old friend, you Mickey Thomas, and Barry Duffield kicked players for just standing near you whether they were nice people or not, and then Hadge Jackson would have lined you up for a good old fashioned hard tackle.
  In fact I think we would have got a dig standing in a bus que. Good times though.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on October 24, 2021, 04:56:27 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »

Would you have got in the positions he got in? Please put some respect on the mans name. He worked his b*llocks off for us every time he pulled on the shirt and scored a bucket load of goals.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on October 24, 2021, 05:05:49 pm by Colin C No.3 »
When we played Portsmouth I took my 6 year old grandson for his first ever Rovers game (catch ‘em young!).

Sat in the row & directly behind us were 6 or 7 academy players in their smart Rovers tracksuits. I couldn’t help but think ‘by you look the part boys, I hope I see one of you in the first team one day’.

Ten minutes into the game & I’d heard a 3rd lot off ‘effing’ from a blonde, blue eyed, ‘tanned up’ academy player so I turned around, looked him in the eye, shook my head & nodded to my grandson.

No more swearing, but regrettably no apology either.

When Marquis was substituted I, along with a good few others around me, clapped him off. The academy players, to a boy, booed loudly.

I was disappointed, no disgusted actually that as ‘whanabee’ professional footballers they saw fit to boo a player whose 26 goals ensured Rovers promotion to League 1 & whose 21 goals ensured we made the League 1 play offs the season after.

Shame on them & everyone else who booed him off that day.

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on October 24, 2021, 05:54:15 pm by Goole Rover »
Goole old friend, you Mickey Thomas, and Barry Duffield kicked players for just standing near you whether they were nice people or not, and then Hadge Jackson would have lined you up for a good old fashioned hard tackle.
  In fact I think we would have got a dig standing in a bus que. Good times though.
My Dear Old Friend,
Barry, Mick and you played at an higher level than me, I’ve still got the marks on my hip from a clash with a forward playing for Askern Welfare I think his Dad was a referee. Hadge was a “gentleman” ha ha. But seriously referring to Marquis I could run my self silly but it didn’t make me as good as you boys.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012