Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:30:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Alfie May  (Read 4085 times)

belton rover

• Forum Member
Alfie May
« on October 23, 2021, 08:38:11 pm by belton rover »
What a thoroughly good bloke (as Tim-Nice-But-Dim might say)

I’m a little biased, as he is/was my daughter’s favourite player. I was really pleased he got such a warm reception from our fans. The way he reacted to his goal was ‘keep away, I don’t want to celebrate’. Lovely to see.

Well done Alfie May!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: Alfie May
« Reply #1 on October 23, 2021, 08:41:30 pm by drfchound »
What a thoroughly good bloke (as Tim-Nice-But-Dim might say)

I’m a little biased, as he is/was my daughter’s favourite player. I was really pleased he got such a warm reception from our fans. The way he reacted to his goal was ‘keep away, I don’t want to celebrate’. Lovely to see.

Well done Alfie May!

I saw him go over to the West Stand at the end of the game, it looked like he embraced a young lad over there.  Class.   A nice bloke and a very good player.  I wish he was still with us.
He made a big difference to Cheltenham’s improvement when he came on.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on October 23, 2021, 08:42:21 pm by Filo »
As Wellens says in his interview, we should n’t be clapping ex players onto the pitch and chanting their names giving them a confidence boos

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on October 23, 2021, 08:44:32 pm by roversdude »
Richie seemed quite taken with him on the pitch at the end too

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on October 23, 2021, 08:48:13 pm by scawsby steve »
If there's one player who would never celebrate a goal scored against us, it's Alfie; he's too nice a kid for that.

Unlike Danny Andrew and Connor Grant, who both celebrated like they'd won the FA Cup, after scoring against us.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on October 23, 2021, 08:51:29 pm by belton rover »
As Wellens says in his interview, we should n’t be clapping ex players onto the pitch and chanting their names giving them a confidence boos

I completely disagree.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on October 23, 2021, 08:51:59 pm by GazLaz »
The whole not celebrating against your old team thing is one of the worst things in football. Absolute load of b*llocks.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 10:50:53 am by GazLaz »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on October 23, 2021, 08:52:33 pm by drfchound »

I completely disagree.

Yep, it’s called respect.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 23, 2021, 09:01:56 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Not celebrating is a weird one I don't really like it tbh. You can show respect but still celebrate with your team mates. Going mental would be in bad taste but there's an in-between. It's become a way of showing respect though so it's now seen as celebrating is disrespecting the old club by some. Also easier when there's a few hundred away fans. Try doing that in a full house

Wellens is wrong too. We get too many mercenaries come and go every year it's just the way this industry is. So when you get players who the fans remember fondly long after leaving it's pretty special. Especially when they also seem to have a lot of love for the club.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on October 23, 2021, 09:02:10 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I was gutted when he left. He put his heart and soul into the club both on and off the pitch, and his performances on the pitch were improving all the time. Unfortunately, he was in my opinion made a scapegoat far too often when playing for us, often being subbed irrespective of his performance.

Dead pleased he's still proving himself.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on October 23, 2021, 09:05:10 pm by scawsby steve »
The whole not scoring against your old team thing is one of the worst things in football. Absolute load of b*llocks.

I don't see your point, Gaz. Alfie did score, he made sure of that, and almost had another.

He just didn't celebrate it. A show of respect in gratitude of the ovation we gave him when he came on.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on October 23, 2021, 09:06:21 pm by drfchound »
Not celebrating is a weird one I don't really like it tbh. You can show respect but still celebrate with your team mates. Going mental would be in bad taste but there's an in-between. It's become a way of showing respect though so it's now seen as celebrating is disrespecting the old club by some. Also easier when there's a few hundred away fans. Try doing that in a full house

Wellens is wrong too. We get too many mercenaries come and go every year it's just the way this industry is. So when you get players who the fans remember fondly long after leaving it's pretty special. Especially when they also seem to have a lot of love for the club.

I remember a certain Dennis Law not celebrating in front of a full house when his goal for Man City relegated United.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on October 23, 2021, 09:12:18 pm by Donnywolf »
Class today after he scored ... and let's face it even though he was not celebrating he was STILL busting a gut to try and get another SO he can make the distinction between the two

Wonder what Wellens thought at Derby when we paid the most touching tribute I have ever seen to Paul Green after his move there ?

Surely nobody in that ground was not moved by that

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on October 23, 2021, 09:13:10 pm by Donnywolf »
Quote from: drfchound link=topic=282654.msg1097777#msg1097777 date=163501958
[quote author=sedwardsdrfc link=topic=282654.msg1097773#msg1097773 date=1635019316

I remember a certain Dennis Law not celebrating in front of a full house when his goal for Man City relegated United.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 09:16:37 pm by Donnywolf »

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on October 23, 2021, 09:18:00 pm by Donnywolf »
Quote from: drfchound link=topic=282654.msg1097777#msg1097777 date=163501958
[quote author=sedwardsdrfc link=topic=282654.msg1097773#msg1097773 date=1635019316

Don't worry I celebrated for weeks on his behalf ... great back heel Denis

DRCraig

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on October 23, 2021, 09:19:03 pm by DRCraig »
Alfie is a good player and lad. Very classy.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on October 23, 2021, 09:22:37 pm by Metalmicky »

Got a link to RW interview...?

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on October 23, 2021, 09:26:30 pm by since-1969 »
It’s because Rovers fans are the best and recognise the hero’s of the past . Wellens is just an idiot !!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on October 23, 2021, 09:27:05 pm by Filo »

Got a link to RW interview...?

It will be on football heaven website

donnyallday

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on October 23, 2021, 10:07:05 pm by donnyallday »
Every fan loved and wanted Alfie to succeed, it was really Roy of the Rovers stuff with his back story, we gave him the dream,

Wellens ought to listen to Alfies parting interview he did for us.

I came here to Doncaster and left has a Yorkshireman. God bless Alfie.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on October 23, 2021, 10:10:37 pm by dickos1 »
It’s because Rovers fans are the best and recognise the hero’s of the past . Wellens is just an idiot !!

Could be wrong but posts that this make u look the idiot not him

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on October 23, 2021, 10:22:55 pm by LincsRover »
I’m really pleased he scored and even more pleased it didn’t cost us. The fact he didn’t celebrate shows he’s a class act who knows we gave him his big break and I applaud him for that. He was having loads of pics taken with rovers fans before and after the game, and is a thoroughly good bloke. He was my late mums favourite player (bar Copps of course) who looked after her when she was a Mother’s Day mascot and received one of the 12 gifts of Christmas. I hope he has loads of success and wish he was still here - I genuinely think he’s better than we currently have.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on October 23, 2021, 10:56:27 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I didn't go today but was delighted when Alfie scored, and equally as delighted that we won the game. A perfect scenario for me, if only to stick one up those who disputed his ability when he was here.

Most of us loved Alfie when he was here, and obviously still do now.

Not in a gay way, like.

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on October 23, 2021, 11:09:22 pm by Goole Rover »

Wellens should concentrate on motivating his own players irrespective of what his own team's fans think. Appears to me that there’s a great gap in personality’s between Alfie and Wellens. Keep going Alfie having met you you’re a great bloke and a great asset to the game.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on October 23, 2021, 11:18:04 pm by Filo »

Wellens should concentrate on motivating his own players irrespective of what his own team's fans think. Appears to me that there’s a great gap in personality’s between Alfie and Wellens. Keep going Alfie having met you you’re a great bloke and a great asset to the game.

I’ve no doubts he’s a great bloke, but for 98 minutes he’s playing for the opposition, trying to score against us, we should n’t be geeing him up by clapping him on to the pitch and chanting his name, save that for afterwards, I don’t get our fans hankering for former players, concentrate more on our present players

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on October 23, 2021, 11:24:39 pm by DMnumber4 »
Not good enough - the stats bear that out. Our fans applaud mediocrity...

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on October 23, 2021, 11:26:33 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Mediocrity is an improvement in our current predicament.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on October 23, 2021, 11:31:44 pm by selby »
Goole, there might be a big difference in personalities as there certainly was in ability at playing the game of football to Richie's advantage and I didn't hear many complain of his personality when he did play for us far from it. Why want a player back who is now a regular substitute for a team we have just beaten? its hardly a great advertisement of ability.
   I don't see many extolling Ronaldo's personality but we would all like him in our team rather than invite him for tea every weekend.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on October 23, 2021, 11:32:43 pm by belton rover »
Filo. Do you really think us applauding Alfie onto the pitch made him think ‘Right. I’m even more determined to score against these bas**rds.

That’s actually more likely to happen if he was booed on.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on October 23, 2021, 11:35:41 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

I’ve no doubts he’s a great bloke, but for 98 minutes he’s playing for the opposition, trying to score against us, we should n’t be geeing him up by clapping him on to the pitch and chanting his name, save that for afterwards, I don’t get our fans hankering for former players, concentrate more on our present players

A polite respectful clap was fine but chanting his name was a bit OTT. Save it for the end of the game to show our appreciation as you said.

I think Wellens said as much in that we should be encouraging our own players whilst he also recognised Alfie as being a good player and a top lad.

It was the best move for him at the time as the manager and we perhaps didn't see him representing where we wanted to go but, I'm sure we'd all have him in our team right now.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012