Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:40:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Alfie May  (Read 4158 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Re: Alfie May
« Reply #30 on October 23, 2021, 11:48:53 pm by selby »
 There is a good question here, McKindoe  was probably the worst personality off the field that has pulled on a Rovers shirt in our recent history.
  If a straight choice was to be made between Alfie May and McKindoe when he played for us, who would pick Alfie May.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on October 23, 2021, 11:49:24 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Filo. Do you really think us applauding Alfie onto the pitch made him think ‘Right. I’m even more determined to score against these bas**rds.

That’s actually more likely to happen if he was booed on.

Absof**kinglutely

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on October 23, 2021, 11:59:37 pm by Bentley Bullet »
There is a good question here, McKindoe  was probably the worst personality off the field that has pulled on a Rovers shirt in our recent history.
  If a straight choice was to be made between Alfie May and McKindoe when he played for us, who would pick Alfie May.

Seeing as Alfie was about 10 then, I'd probably plumb for McIndoe, but to actually compare Alfie now to McIndoe then is a great compliment to him.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on October 24, 2021, 12:02:24 am by belton rover »

That’s quite an extreme comparison, Selby.
Almost as extreme as comparing May with Bogle.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on October 24, 2021, 12:03:33 am by Bentley Bullet »

That’s quite an extreme comparison, Selby.
Almost as extreme as comparing May with Bogle.
Absof**kinglutely

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on October 24, 2021, 12:11:45 am by selby »
BB I would let you pick my dinner party list, but leave the football alone.

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on October 24, 2021, 12:17:17 am by eastender »
Not celebrating is a weird one I don't really like it tbh. You can show respect but still celebrate with your team mates. Going mental would be in bad taste but there's an in-between. It's become a way of showing respect though so it's now seen as celebrating is disrespecting the old club by some. Also easier when there's a few hundred away fans. Try doing that in a full house

Wellens is wrong too. We get too many mercenaries come and go every year it's just the way this industry is. So when you get players who the fans remember fondly long after leaving it's pretty special. Especially when they also seem to have a lot of love for the club.

I remember a certain Dennis Law not celebrating in front of a full house when his goal for Man City relegated United.

Wasn't it a back Heel  goal as i seem to remember.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on October 24, 2021, 12:30:39 am by belton rover »
I was more surprised at Williams’ warm welcome. But again, good to see.

Today was a good day for DRFC in more ways than just 3 points.

We are a good club.

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on October 24, 2021, 12:46:36 am by eastender »
. Why want a player back who is now a regular substitute for a team we have just beaten? its hardly a great advertisement of ability.

He may well have been a substitute , but he was far more of a threat than Vaseel of Joseth were, but that's down to their manager's  decision.
Any way as an advertisement of ability ,i'd take these two lads appraisal of Alfie over any one on here.

Phil Foden and Pep Guardiola heap praise on Cheltenham Town striker Alfie May after Man City's FA Cup fourth round win.

"He's their most influential player "

"I told him he was great," Foden told Match of the Day.

Man City Boss Pep Guardiola Labelled An ‘Exceptional Player’

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on October 24, 2021, 01:54:45 am by Monkcaster_Rover »
I clapped Alfie when he came on. Didn't celebrate or react in any form of jubilation when he scored. That's too much.

richtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on October 24, 2021, 02:02:26 am by richtherover »
Not celebrating is a weird one I don't really like it tbh. You can show respect but still celebrate with your team mates. Going mental would be in bad taste but there's an in-between. It's become a way of showing respect though so it's now seen as celebrating is disrespecting the old club by some. Also easier when there's a few hundred away fans. Try doing that in a full house

Wellens is wrong too. We get too many mercenaries come and go every year it's just the way this industry is. So when you get players who the fans remember fondly long after leaving it's pretty special. Especially when they also seem to have a lot of love for the club.

I remember a certain Dennis Law not celebrating in front of a full house when his goal for Man City relegated United.
It wasn't his goal that relegated them. They still could have stayed up but didn't manage it.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on October 24, 2021, 08:16:07 am by Padge_DRFC »
As Wellens says in his interview, we should n’t be clapping ex players onto the pitch and chanting their names giving them a confidence boos
It’s because Rovers fans are the best and recognise the hero’s of the past . Wellens is just an idiot !!

Those best fans who booed Marquis and even booed Wellens when he played against us.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on October 24, 2021, 08:39:52 am by colincramb »
Just like our team, we are too soft as fans. We shouldn’t be clapping apposing players on to the pitch. I agree with wellens. We are in a relegation fight for ffs.

Show respect after the game. Even Akinfenwa got an ovation when he went off and he only played about 9 games for us. 

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on October 24, 2021, 09:00:12 am by sedwardsdrfc »
As Wellens says in his interview, we should n’t be clapping ex players onto the pitch and chanting their names giving them a confidence boos
It’s because Rovers fans are the best and recognise the hero’s of the past . Wellens is just an idiot !!

Those best fans who booed Marquis and even booed Wellens when he played against us.

Wellens said in his interview he got booed but was sold for a million so was harsh. It's a weird one. Marquis did way more for the club than May so should really get a good reception. I think it's how players leave the club. May & Blair clearly wanted to stay but Marquis wanted to leave. I guess it shows that fans just want players who want to be at the club and put 100% in every game. We always knew that this just highlights it.

BVB

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on October 24, 2021, 09:58:32 am by BVB »
Just like our team, we are too soft as fans. We shouldn’t be clapping apposing players on to the pitch. I agree with wellens. We are in a relegation fight for ffs.

Show respect after the game. Even Akinfenwa got an ovation when he went off and he only played about 9 games for us.

Or perhaps we are reasonable human beings who appreciate / like / respect the efforts of former players and have every right to show our appreciation on the odd occasions that they return to our home ground.

What a bleak and unhappy world it would otherwise be, ffs.

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on October 24, 2021, 10:08:28 am by Goole Rover »
Filo. Do you really think us applauding Alfie onto the pitch made him think ‘Right. I’m even more determined to score against these bas**rds.

That’s actually more likely to happen if he was booed on.
My Dear Friend Selby,
If anyone had applauded you onto the field at Askern it would have made me more determined to kick seven bells out of you. If that kind of greeting affects Wellen's team there something wrong with their motivation they should "man up". Sorry if the last statement offends the brigade.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on October 24, 2021, 10:24:34 am by roversdude »
To be fair to Richie, what he said was very tongue in cheek and was followed by, “when I left the first time for one and a half million, first game back at KMS I was booed every time I touched the ball” (or words to that effect)

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on October 24, 2021, 10:49:38 am by vaya »

That baffled me last week as well. Played less than ten games for us 17 years ago before promptly toddling off to be closer to London by signing for Torquay.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on October 24, 2021, 12:53:35 pm by Draytonian III »
When we played Spurs in the League Cup Jermaine Defoe got a round off applause when was warming up as a sub, I can’t remember him every playing for us !!!
 As I’ve mentioned before a lot of supporters took to Alfie May when he was here because of his willingness to do non playing duties and because he had worked in the “ real world “ and supporters can relate to that

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on October 24, 2021, 01:08:54 pm by danumdon »
Alfie May was a good servant to this club on and off the field and would of made more of an impression if not for that useless clown moving him on. He deserved his greeting and was very respectful after scoring, as was Williams.

What i don't agree with his players like Bostock getting an ovation when coming to take a corner kick in the south west corner? the jury is still out on him and he's still in negative equity with us at this time, need to see much more from him before he gets any plaudits.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on October 24, 2021, 01:23:14 pm by Filo »
Alfie May was a good servant to this club on and off the field and would of made more of an impression if not for that useless clown moving him on. He deserved his greeting and was very respectful after scoring, as was Williams.

What i don't agree with his players like Bostock getting an ovation when coming to take a corner kick in the south west corner? the jury is still out on him and he's still in negative equity with us at this time, need to see much more from him before he gets any plaudits.

On the other side of the coin, when the players come out for the warm up and the game Bostock is the only player to run up to the Black Bank and applaud the fans before turning to the East and West Stands

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on October 24, 2021, 01:36:51 pm by danumdon »

On the other side of the coin, when the players come out for the warm up and the game Bostock is the only player to run up to the Black Bank and applaud the fans before turning to the East and West Stands

I understand that sentiment but i don't want to be mates with him, i just want him to play really well then i will applaud him wholeheartedly till the cows come home.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on October 24, 2021, 01:39:14 pm by Filo »

I understand that sentiment but i don't want to be mates with him, i just want him to play really well then i will applaud him wholeheartedly till the cows come home.

But you’d like to be mates with a player that no longer plays for us and is trying to beat us?

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on October 24, 2021, 01:44:54 pm by colincramb »

Or perhaps we are reasonable human beings who appreciate / like / respect the efforts of former players and have every right to show our appreciation on the odd occasions that they return to our home ground.

What a bleak and unhappy world it would otherwise be, ffs.

Like I said, show respect after the game has finished. This is professional sport and we aren’t in any position to give marginal gains away. Given we will get most of our points at home, we need to make it as hostile as possible for away teams regardless of whether they played for us or not

German Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on October 24, 2021, 01:46:21 pm by German Rover »
RW is jealous because no matter how good a player he was and how mich he achieved in the game he'd never beloved like Alfie May, someone he considers to be a much inferior player to himself.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on October 24, 2021, 01:51:28 pm by danumdon »

But you’d like to be mates with a player that no longer plays for us and is trying to beat us?

I think there's a difference with applauding a returning player like Alfie May who we plucked from none league and gave his heart and soul for the club both on and off the pitch, we probably paid him peanuts in comparison to John Bostock who still needs to prove himself to us. I know who we could do with right now as things stand but we don't have.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on October 24, 2021, 01:51:41 pm by Filo »
RW is jealous because no matter how good a player he was and how mich he achieved in the game he'd never beloved like Alfie May, someone he considers to be a much inferior player to himself.

Different types of players, but lets be honest, if Richie considers that he would be correct, Alfie couldn’t lace Richies boots

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on October 24, 2021, 01:57:18 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
I cannot understand the mentality of people who applaud ex players before or during a game? It’s completely bizarre! I could almost understand it (but not agree with it) if it was a Marquis, Sharp or Stock for example. You know, players who actually performed well for us. But Alfie May? A nice guy, a trier for sure but pretty mediocre as a player.

knockers

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on October 24, 2021, 02:25:40 pm by knockers »
Some sad t**ts even clapped when it was announced that he had scored their first goal!
What the hell is that all about?

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on October 24, 2021, 03:09:56 pm by belton rover »
Alfie as a player is a very small part of the reason he was applauded (for me, at least), although he would be an asset to the team right now. It’s more about him as a person. He conducted himself impeccably on and off the pitch during his time with us was an absolute credit to the club. He was not wanted by the manager at the time and left quietly and respectfully. He is a superb role model for any kids starting out in terms of how a professional footballer should conduct themselves. That is why I applauded him. If that makes me a sad t**t, then thanks, I take it as a compliment.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012